Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

SkyeAuroline posted:

So I'm back in the office after two weeks from home due to covid, and it turns out that the person who probably got me sick has been here the entire time, in the office still hacking up a storm, and has refused to get tested even when seeing a doctor (and having time off scheduled for just that).

I'm ready to scream

Do you have paid sick leave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Outrail posted:

Do you have paid sick leave?

Yes, and she has it available. She's also able to work 100% from home, the same as I did for the past two weeks following my positive test, without using any leave whatsoever.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

SkyeAuroline posted:

Yes, and she has it available. She's also able to work 100% from home, the same as I did for the past two weeks following my positive test, without using any leave whatsoever.

I should be able to say something like 'tell HR to tell her to go home' but that's a lol.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Outrail posted:

I should be able to say something like 'tell HR to tell her to go home' but that's a lol.

Doesn't even have to go through HR, our manager could make the call at any time. He just won't. This is the same coworker who barely does their job, and when they do, will just barely meet the absolute minimum if even that and require handholding the whole way for the very basics (I should not have to teach someone how to copy and paste correctly, let alone multiple times). They have to have some kind of arrangement with our manager that makes them untouchable. Nothing else explains how they've been consistently well under minimum metrics, in a department that is married to its metrics, and never even been reprimanded for it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SkyeAuroline posted:

So I'm back in the office after two weeks from home due to covid, and it turns out that the person who probably got me sick has been here the entire time, in the office still hacking up a storm, and has refused to get tested even when seeing a doctor (and having time off scheduled for just that).

I'm ready to scream

Holy cow that's bad. Years ago (pre-covid) had a coworker loudly coughing nonstop and a manager had to tell them to go home. In the case of that person (who had a college degree and plenty of sick time) dealing with them on a regular basis felt like a kindergarten teacher making sure a kid has mittens and keeping an extra pair on hand for the inevitable.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I've worked at places (and chances are if you're posting in this thread that you've worked at these places too) where you have to come in even if you're visibly sick and a manager has to decide if you're sick enough to be sent home. At a work place where you can just call in, there's no excuse not to.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It also needs a management culture which respects their workers, their experience and their opinions.

Speaking of not listening to or respecting workers, the Musk thread was just talking about companies doing surveys about why they can't keep staff and no one wants to work for them.

I've done more than one such survey and, in each case, anyone who was naive enough to mention anything negative about the company was talked to by management.

"Yes we're haemorrhaging staff, but how loving dare you suggest this company's practices, pay and culture are, in any way, subpar. That is not what this survey was for."

Amazon does this: every time you log in to your station at the start of shift and midway through the shift a few survey questions will appear on your screen to answer. They're anonymous beyond connecting you to your manager (and I only believe that because I've been here for 4 years with over a dozen managers and not one has come to chew me out over my answers) so your manager's boss can rate how good/bad your manager is.

If a question ever has an answer that can be taken in any way as "gently caress you, pay me more" that's the one I slam without hesitation.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
CEO Feels Terrible About Laying Off 900 Employees Over Video Chat, Does It Anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7GVklRqHRY

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Got a new computer sent into the office by corporate IT bc my current model is a piece of poo poo that shuts down randomly, got told I can't have it because the local IT guy thought about it and they feel very sure if they give my 7 year old machine a troubleshoot they'll fix the issue and no need for any new machines how dare I.

My computer can barely run Teams, let alone Teams + other stuff.

Auuuuggghhhhhh

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I just read a few articles, that dude is pure unfiltered Captialism. loving psycho: https://www.thedailybeast.com/bettercom-ceo-vishal-garg-threatened-to-burn-his-business-partner-alive-now-hes-a-billionaire

"And he kept his eye on even the smallest of details. Office managers were chastised if they filled the mini fridges with water brands other than Fiji or Perrier. Garg also insisted on a stockpile of Gerolsteiner, his sparkling beverage of choice. “Why do we have biscotti here like this??” he once demanded to know.Staff came to expect these kinds of dress-downs. A sample email from Garg, which Forbes obtained: “You are TOO drat SLOW. You are a bunch of DUMB DOLPHINS... SO STOP IT. STOP IT. STOP IT RIGHT NOW. YOU ARE EMBARRASSING ME.”"

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SkyeAuroline posted:

Doesn't even have to go through HR, our manager could make the call at any time. He just won't. This is the same coworker who barely does their job, and when they do, will just barely meet the absolute minimum if even that and require handholding the whole way for the very basics (I should not have to teach someone how to copy and paste correctly, let alone multiple times). They have to have some kind of arrangement with our manager that makes them untouchable. Nothing else explains how they've been consistently well under minimum metrics, in a department that is married to its metrics, and never even been reprimanded for it.

I'm hesitant to insist anyone should be in the office if they can and want to work from home. However, there are people who just can't function without supervision, and it sounds like your coworker is one of those people who just need help to even get through their day. I can't say I like the idea of keeping someone like that around, but companies/orgs convince themselves that long-term employees have some special knowledge or abilities that make them valuable; logic dictates that they would have been fired by now, otherwise.

We finally got rid of a contractor like that this last week; he'd been with the team for over a year, but seemed to be unlearning how to do his job from day one. One of my first experiences with him was watching him send an entire internal email thread, with my corrections to his original email and the words "Lazyfire's comments should be incorporated into the email" in red text to the customer. It somehow slowly got worse and eventually we required he have his work from home privileges revoked and made him work out of the office so his boss at the contracting agency be able to see him at his desk "working." He somehow found a way to leave the office in the middle of the day every day to work from home because "computer issues" and even the contracting firm got sick of his poo poo, but they have no reason to ever get rid of a person who can charge a customer no matter how many issues we have with his work. Even his company, profiting off his incompetence, realized he was a major liability and got rid of him entirely instead of moving him to another customer.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

love forcibly moving people to a completely new office with no infrastructure in place in one of the most expensive cities in the world for amorphous reasons.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

"The Market has Changed"

You're in the mortgage market. You should be doing really well right now unless you've done something extremely dumb with the business model.

He did something extremely dumb, didn't he?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

wilderthanmild posted:

"The Market has Changed"

You're in the mortgage market. You should be doing really well right now unless you've done something extremely dumb with the business model.

He did something extremely dumb, didn't he?

Well, he gave a suspicious number of stocks to a woman whose sole job responsibility seemed to be “make his employees do what he says.”

You wouldn’t think someone who threatened to light his best friend on fire over a business deal would need help in that department, but he fired a tenth of his employees via a prerecorded video, so maybe he really is that spineless.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

And they got a real big cash injection https://techcrunch.com/2021/11/30/better-com-gets-750m-cash-infusion-in-new-agreement-with-its-spac-backers/

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

love forcibly moving people to a completely new office with no infrastructure in place in one of the most expensive cities in the world for amorphous reasons.

Didn’t the Onion already lose their best writers when they moved from NY to Chicago in 2011? I think it was around then they stopped having genius video content and became more generic.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

bee posted:

First day of my new job in a government agency and I don't have a computer. I accepted and signed the contract for this role over a month ago.

Public service, how I've missed u

5th day at new job and my computer still hasn't arrived. My role is about 95% computer touching. While reading through the corporate induction materials a colleague printed out for me so I had something to do, I paused at the page listing the organisational values:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bee posted:

5th day at new job and my computer still hasn't arrived. My role is about 95% computer touching. While reading through the corporate induction materials a colleague printed out for me so I had something to do, I paused at the page listing the organisational values:

Well, there's your problem right there - that commitment was current in August. It doesn't say anything about December.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Crackbone posted:

I just read a few articles, that dude is pure unfiltered Captialism. loving psycho: https://www.thedailybeast.com/bettercom-ceo-vishal-garg-threatened-to-burn-his-business-partner-alive-now-hes-a-billionaire

"And he kept his eye on even the smallest of details. Office managers were chastised if they filled the mini fridges with water brands other than Fiji or Perrier. Garg also insisted on a stockpile of Gerolsteiner, his sparkling beverage of choice. “Why do we have biscotti here like this??” he once demanded to know.Staff came to expect these kinds of dress-downs. A sample email from Garg, which Forbes obtained: “You are TOO drat SLOW. You are a bunch of DUMB DOLPHINS... SO STOP IT. STOP IT. STOP IT RIGHT NOW. YOU ARE EMBARRASSING ME.”"

Big lol that he’s even wearing the ugly gilet body warmer straight out of an episode of Billions

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Do they even have Gerolsteiner in America?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Do they even have Gerolsteiner in America?

Yeah. My dad buys it pretty regularly.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

Yeah. My dad buys it pretty regularly.

Weird. Didn't know they export it this far.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I don't think it's something you'd get at your average Kroger store or whatever, but they stock it at places like Whole Foods or that's what I remember. I haven't been back to the US in almost 3 years, but I remember my dad buying it pretty often, and this is out in New Mexico so not a huge metropolitan city or anything.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Mineral water has been exported from Germany for a long time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHvj0MJw7z4

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Got a new computer sent into the office by corporate IT bc my current model is a piece of poo poo that shuts down randomly, got told I can't have it because the local IT guy thought about it and they feel very sure if they give my 7 year old machine a troubleshoot they'll fix the issue and no need for any new machines how dare I.

My computer can barely run Teams, let alone Teams + other stuff.

Auuuuggghhhhhh

Sounds like the local IT guy is a pissweasel, ask him if he's sent the new machine back yet.

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

~Coxy posted:

TPS, Six Sigma, Lean, Agile, Kanban I assume they can all be good but people just cargo-cult the name and/or ceremony.

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you they aren't good they can never be good you aren't toyota and adding more acronyms to waste people's time won't make you meet goals on time or save any money

Yes I am mad

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Work separates me from the six hours of leafblowers. There are no leaves.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

bonelessdongs posted:

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you they aren't good they can never be good you aren't toyota and adding more acronyms to waste people's time won't make you meet goals on time or save any money

Yes I am mad

Gonna slightly disagree with this. I implemented Kanban for exactly one project when we were buried under a mountain of defects, and the strict WIP limits saved us an assload of time on a daily basis. When things smoothed out, I junked it and we went back to our regular loose structure.

The problem with these approaches is not that they're necessarily bad, it's that places implement them without considering whether or not they're appropriate to the particular projects they're applied to. Hammer/nail etc.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

SubnormalityStairs posted:

Gonna slightly disagree with this. I implemented Kanban for exactly one project when we were buried under a mountain of defects, and the strict WIP limits saved us an assload of time on a daily basis. When things smoothed out, I junked it and we went back to our regular loose structure.

The problem with these approaches is not that they're necessarily bad, it's that places implement them without considering whether or not they're appropriate to the particular projects they're applied to. Hammer/nail etc.

Yeah it's partly this and also partly that a lot of companies are structured in such a way that they can't implement them correctly so they try to do "our version" of the framework instead of restructuring because restructuring is "too hard". Then it inevitably fails and they blame the framework instead of themselves.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

bonelessdongs posted:

Yes I am mad

Yeah, if I learned that because of the activation process and implementing standups and ceremonies our trucks now use 5% less fuel or credit card transactions are 1% faster it would make sense, but I've never heard of any identifiable benefits.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

SubnormalityStairs posted:

Same, though with the important context that I work for a heavy industrial manufacturing company. If you put a serious process in place and don't gently caress with it for a while and respect your employees, you can see incredible results.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, if I learned that because of the activation process and implementing standups and ceremonies our trucks now use 5% less fuel or credit card transactions are 1% faster it would make sense, but I've never heard of any identifiable benefits.

Agile frameworks work best for small and medium sized companies because it's easier for them to do all the necessary restructuring to enable success. I mostly work with large companies in the finance sector and lmao at the massive amounts of resistance from the execs when we tell them what's really necessary to successfully be agile. I won't poo poo up the thread by listing it all out but they have to fundamentally change their hierarchy, planning, funding, how they reward people at the end of the year, job descriptions, giving people the bandwidth to do training and let them get used to doing things a different way, etc. They don't want to do any of that and they think they can just do "our version" of it and force a square peg into a round hole and it never works and they never consider that maybe they're the ones who hosed up by not taking the time to do it right.

I still get paid though so lol

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Why change anything at all? If you're employed your employer is obviously doing alright already. Just let it ride man.

Management systems get implemented and get mad at for the same reason: it has a name and you can identify it in conversation. It's easy to say we're going to TPS. It's easy to say God TPS sucks when your employer fails at it. It's harder to proselytize for or against The Vague Processes My Large Employer Has Crystalized For No Real Reason.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Not my work, but my oldest son. He works on maintaining equipment for semiconductor fabs. The maintenance shop has recently got a new manager and 1 of 3 techs has already quit. The new manager pulled my kid into his office, inquired about his recent request for more money derisively and told him he wasn't worth what he was getting paid now.
Kid told him to gently caress off and started looked for jobs immediately. This was just a couple of days ago and he's got the first interview lined up on Thursday.

lmao eat poo poo

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Not my work, but my oldest son. He works on maintaining equipment for semiconductor fabs. The maintenance shop has recently got a new manager and 1 of 3 techs has already quit. The new manager pulled my kid into his office, inquired about his recent request for more money derisively and told him he wasn't worth what he was getting paid now.
Kid told him to gently caress off and started looked for jobs immediately. This was just a couple of days ago and he's got the first interview lined up on Thursday.

lmao eat poo poo

I hope your kid gets paid $Texas at new job for dealing with that bullshit at the old one. It takes a special kind of leader to make feel someone feel that small.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Agile frameworks work best for small and medium sized companies because it's easier for them to do all the necessary restructuring to enable success. I mostly work with large companies in the finance sector and lmao at the massive amounts of resistance from the execs when we tell them what's really necessary to successfully be agile. I won't poo poo up the thread by listing it all out but they have to fundamentally change their hierarchy, planning, funding, how they reward people at the end of the year, job descriptions, giving people the bandwidth to do training and let them get used to doing things a different way, etc. They don't want to do any of that and they think they can just do "our version" of it and force a square peg into a round hole and it never works and they never consider that maybe they're the ones who hosed up by not taking the time to do it right.

I still get paid though so lol

That makes sense, yeah we aren't vaguely in the ballpark of having success with agile not even in the same city. Probably doesn't help big chunks of our team seem to do nothing but learn about change management all day. Not to apply the lessons, just to learn about neuroscience for no business purpose. Like taking a dozen cashiers off the floor the week before Christmas to read wikipedia articles about Italian soccer teams.

TotalLossBrain posted:

lmao eat poo poo

Ahahaha holy cow wouldn't anything semiconductor related be in high demand? Dang telling an employee they aren't worth the money is insane, I would worry about (aside from losing another worker) having an employee who is now motivated to commit petty sabotage. Like telling movers at the start of the day they will receive no tip then expecting everything to make it in one piece.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Some bosses got stuck in the “you’re lucky to even have a job!” mindset that the second things start to switch around and employees have more options they don’t know how to handle it well

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Elephant Ambush posted:

I won't poo poo up the thread by listing it all out

Literally what the thread is here for: Cheap group therapy and whining about dumb poo poo your work does. poo poo away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Outrail posted:

Literally what the thread is here for: Cheap group therapy and whining about dumb poo poo your work does. poo poo away

Nobody wants to read a wall of text describing what large corporations need to change in order to be successfully agile.

If people ask I can post some bullet points and maybe a couple funny stories but otherwise I'm going to mostly lurk.