Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Clarified milk punch is neat cause it's a milk washed cocktail. Usually you'll see milk washed spirits which does something with pulling out tannins allowing for some cool infusions. Idk, David Arnold talks about it in liquid intelligence. Good book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Carillon posted:

I love these Schott Zweisel glasses. I love both their rocks and highball glasses and have replaced them as we've broken them over the years. I think they feel really good in your hands, are nice to look at and have a good weight.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the recommendation.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
FYI, The Aviary out out a small holiday recipe book that can be found on Amazon for like ten bucks that is really nice. Creative but mostly accessible recipes, many with batching instructions or non-alcoholic specs. I’m looking forward to trying a few of these out.

One thing that caught my eye is that their Grasshopper spec includes Ancho Reyes Verde, which I’m guessing is to build a “bracing mint” impression against all the sugar. Intriguing.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any good variations on a Negroni you guys would recommend? I've been using a variation of the following,

Bitter - Campari or St. Agrestis Inferno Bitter
Vermouth - Carpano Antica or Cocchi
Gin - Four Pillars "Faultline" or Isle of Harris

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was going to mention that I made eight of these for my family's Thanksgiving welcome cocktail which is apparently a tradition that they invited me to take over this year:

It's a Blood Orange Negroni, which basically just means using Whitley Neill blood orange gin and some orange bitters, along with an orange peel twist. I thought of playing up the orange notes in the Campari, and a previous set of guests liked it, so hey. Simple but crowd-pleasing.

Also invented this "POG Sunrise" for the non-alcoholic set:

Build in order over ice: grenadine, a mango-orange-pineapple-guava juice blend I found at the store that morning, topped up with the thin top layer of a pineapple juice mini-can, then a squeeze of orgeat. Thin orange slice and two Luxardo cherries. They were asking me to make more rounds of these the next morning :buddy:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

obi_ant posted:

Any good variations on a Negroni you guys would recommend? I've been using a variation of the following,

Bitter - Campari or St. Agrestis Inferno Bitter
Vermouth - Carpano Antica or Cocchi
Gin - Four Pillars "Faultline" or Isle of Harris

White Negronis are fun! Use a blanc vermouth (not dry vermouth, there's a difference) and a white amaro -- I like Luxardo Bitter Bianco a lot, most people use Suze or Salers. They're great as a rum Negroni too, the richness of the rum can replace a bit of the rear end that the drink is missing by not containing a sweet vermouth or a heavier bitter component. Also consider messing around with proportions when you mess with ingredients. I actually like a 1.5/1/.75 build for many types of Negroni. The white rum Negroni I just described would be built something like this (and heads up, I'm gonna split the rum base, too):

.75 richer white rum such as Probitas or Plantation Three Star
.75 high-proof agricole rum such as La Favorite or HSE 110 Proof
1 Atxa blanco vermouth
.75 Luxardo Bitter Bianco

This makes a stiff, complex, elegant drink with a lemon or orange twist (or both!).

Carillon
May 9, 2014

prayer group posted:

White Negronis are fun! Use a blanc vermouth (not dry vermouth, there's a difference) and a white amaro -- I like Luxardo Bitter Bianco a lot, most people use Suze or Salers.

Wholeheartedly agree on the Luxardo Bitter Bianco front. I like it well enough with Suze but think it sings with the Luxardo.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Suze white negrois are mediocre, tilting towards bad. Bitter Bianco was basically created just to make white negrois with so it's a lot better.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Any recommendations for cocci americano?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Fart Car '97 posted:

Suze white negrois are mediocre, tilting towards bad. Bitter Bianco was basically created just to make white negrois with so it's a lot better.

Is there anything good to do with a bottle of suze? I picked it up on a whim and haven't found much use for it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Horn posted:

Is there anything good to do with a bottle of suze? I picked it up on a whim and haven't found much use for it.

Haymarkets are good if you like beer cocktails

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Fart Car '97 posted:

it’s great but only with the Suze saveur d’autrefois—supposedly the original recipe, much less sweet. I wish Campari would put out something similar

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Booties posted:

Any recommendations for cocci americano?
I wish I could give you some recipes but I mostly just use it to make Vespers. I've made a lot of drinks with it on the spur of the moment by adding a bit to standard sour cocktails.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

A corpse reviver #2 would probably be my favorite use for it. I prefer that over a vesper or another martini variation because I feel like the quinine flavor really benefits from the addition of citrus (much like in a G&T).

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

It's heating up here and I'm loving campari highballs again, one of the most refreshing drinks ever. Straight campari and soda water is great by itself, but have any of you guys got any recipes you like? Sometimes I do 1:1 campari and bourbon then topped up with soda water which is pretty good too. I just made 1.5:0.5 campari to triple sec with a couple of dashes of peychaud's bitters, which is ok but the triple sec didn't add much to be honest.

I think this thread was where I first read about camparties but they've been a big hit with friends so thanks!

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I have done it again

I bought more grappa

For the express purpose of punishing people

The cheapest brand available. I actually called around to check prices. Torre di Luna, to be precise.

The goal is to make the worst cocktail imaginable for Russian roulette style drinking.

Please pour your recommendations for the WORST spirits imaginable into my PM's so we don't poison this thread.

Meanwhile I have a Real McCoy mojitoish thing going right now. 2oz white rum, 1/2 oz lime. All over 2 sugar cubes muddled with... fresh basil. Not the worst thing I've made.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That actually reminds me, a couple years ago a boss got me this as a white-elephant gift:

But it came with no instructions or rules, and when we pulled it out with some guests we were already in no condition to invent any coherent rule system. I thought about posting a thread to make some up, but I guess there must be a sensible approach out there?

The idea seems fun on its face. You fill up the board with randomly chosen shots, some good, some awful, some Malört. The trouble is that as you roll numbers and drink shots at random, eventually they all get emptied, and it gives the impression that the goal of the game is to drink all the shots on the board until they're all gone. A random number generator is a really bad way to pick numbers in a finite set when you're eliminating choices as you go. "Roll again! 21? Already empty. Again! 4! Empty. Roll again! C'mooon 16! gently caress! 12!" etc

(It's also a really dumb idea to fill all the slots with the same thing like spiked grapefruit juice except for like one or two of them like my roommate did)

So I assume the more sensible system is to keep refilling the shots as they get drunk, preferably with a designated rulekeeper in charge of this part, and the goal is for everyone else to keep doing random (and sometimes horrible) shots for hours until they all just slither to the floor?

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 3, 2021

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Going to be grabbing a bottle of Pedro Ximenez for a couple of the Aviary holiday recipes this weekend, so give me all your Pedro Ximenez cocktails.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Laocius posted:

A corpse reviver #2 would probably be my favorite use for it. I prefer that over a vesper or another martini variation because I feel like the quinine flavor really benefits from the addition of citrus (much like in a G&T).
I don't know how I forgot about these. (Honestly sometimes I like to combine some Cocci and a teaspoon of absinthe in other random cocktails, maybe it's trashy, Idunno.)

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Data Graham posted:

That actually reminds me, a couple years ago a boss got me this as a white-elephant gift:

But it came with no instructions or rules, and when we pulled it out with some guests we were already in no condition to invent any coherent rule system. I thought about posting a thread to make some up, but I guess there must be a sensible approach out there?

The idea seems fun on its face. You fill up the board with randomly chosen shots, some good, some awful, some Malört. The trouble is that as you roll numbers and drink shots at random, eventually they all get emptied, and it gives the impression that the goal of the game is to drink all the shots on the board until they're all gone. A random number generator is a really bad way to pick numbers in a finite set when you're eliminating choices as you go. "Roll again! 21? Already empty. Again! 4! Empty. Roll again! C'mooon 16! gently caress! 12!" etc

(It's also a really dumb idea to fill all the slots with the same thing like spiked grapefruit juice except for like one or two of them like my roommate did)

So I assume the more sensible system is to keep refilling the shots as they get drunk, preferably with a designated rulekeeper in charge of this part, and the goal is for everyone else to keep doing random (and sometimes horrible) shots for hours until they all just slither to the floor?

This roulette wheel is the exact same system we have. As the shots get drunk, they get refilled with water for some semblance of rehydration.

The other game is just "mix random poo poo into a glass and try to figure out what it is." The drink masters are currently forbidden from using pulpy orange juice, condiments and anything that might curdle.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Honestly sometimes I like to combine some Cocci and a teaspoon of absinthe in other random cocktails, maybe it's trashy, Idunno.

A teaspoon of absinthe seems like a lot to me, but I see nothing wrong with it in theory. They’re both really cool ingredients that are fun to play around with. Cocchi americano is obviously not interchangeable with any kind of vermouth, but you might stumble onto something interesting by subbing it into a vermouth drink.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Important instructions for anyone mixing with apple brandy this holiday season: add just a dash of absinthe to it. It's magical.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I picked up a bottle of Mr Black on a whim. What are some good coffee cocktails outside the white/black russians and espresso martinis?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Splash a bit in a negroni.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Toebone posted:

I picked up a bottle of Mr Black on a whim. What are some good coffee cocktails outside the white/black russians and espresso martinis?

Mr Black just did a coffee cocktail competition, so if you check out any of the big YouTube cocktail channels they may have a recipe.

https://youtu.be/KRzlsE9Y6NU

https://youtu.be/oucD4bkSH8Q

https://youtu.be/rPaZt-k9sbM

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Toebone posted:

Hard hot cocoa mocha! Not swiss miss packets but homemade. The recipe on the side of Hershey's cocoa powder tins is actually good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What's a decent absinthe available in the US? I have an ancient bottle of Mythe that I have used for recipes that want a splash of it, and it's... okay for that but completely undrinkable on its own. I've had a lot of good Czech absinthes but I've never seen those in the US.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Toebone posted:

If you like old fashioneds you might like Mr. Black with bourbon and some chocolate and orange bitters. I know I do. Also check out a Mr. Bali Hai, with coffee, pineapple and lemon.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

What's a decent absinthe available in the US? I have an ancient bottle of Mythe that I have used for recipes that want a splash of it, and it's... okay for that but completely undrinkable on its own. I've had a lot of good Czech absinthes but I've never seen those in the US.

St. George is my go to. My partner really likes the Oregon Spirit Absinthe as well.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I keep mephisto around to put in cocktails. I don't really do absinthe straight - that's what ouzo is for!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I have a bottle of the Oregon Spirit absinthe and have no complaints. Didn’t realize St. George made one though.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Carillon posted:

If you like old fashioneds you might like Mr. Black with bourbon and some chocolate and orange bitters. I know I do. Also check out a Mr. Bali Hai, with coffee, pineapple and lemon.

Sugar
Orange Angostura
2 ounces bourbon
1 oz Mr. Black?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Yeah 2:1 is generally what I try and hit, then like 1-2 barspoons of simple elevates it, not necessary though. Trust of orange also is nice but again not necessary.

Edit: thinking about it 2:1 or 3:2 both work. I think I'm not likely to hit that 3:2 mark but you can play around with it to find your taste there.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 4, 2021

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

Vieux Pontarlier is the gold standard for cocktails according to the Death & Co. leather barstool set. Kubler is pretty good too.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Strong rec for La Clandestine. It's really really good if you aren't wedded to a green absinthe. Vieux is great for things like Sazeracs and Corpse revivers but it can be too high octane if you want to do absinthe centric cocktails like frappés or suisseses

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 4, 2021

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I use St Georges absinthe and I put it in an atomizer for spraying any “rinse” cocktail, like a Corpse Reviver. The atomizer is like a secret weapon, makes it really fragrant and you barely use any absinthe.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I can get St George. This is what I'm working with most likely, biggest liquor store in the region: https://thepartysource.com/Spirits/Absinthe

Will check my local places for anything weird though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My atomizer is full of Laphroaig for making Penicillins.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Help, I bought grappa and it's growing on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Missing Name posted:

Help, I bought grappa and it's growing on me

Let it keep going and you’ll get wine out of it.