Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Bike24 has been inconsistent for me. I had super fast deliveries (next day if ordered early the day before), but currently still waiting for a Black Friday order to be shipped. Customer service was responsive though and said they are still overwhelmed by Black Friday and Christmas orders.

Bike-components has been very good for me in the past as well.

Im based in Germany though so it’s all domestic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Wiggle is good, they’re the same as ChainReactionCycles so check both, sometimes there’s slight differences on prices.

Merlin and LordGun are also other UK shops I’ve dealt with and they’re fine too

LordGun ship from Italy so its probably easier getting stuff from them outside the UK than in it. The wheel I got from there recently shipped via fedex got stuck in customs hell for 3 weeks

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

Starbike is generally good, bike-components.de and bike-discount.de are also good.

bikeinn is fine as well.
Can confirm this

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

LordGun ship from Italy so its probably easier getting stuff from them outside the UK than in it. The wheel I got from there recently shipped via fedex got stuck in customs hell for 3 weeks

You’re right. Brescia. I mixed them up with a different company. I got my tires in 2 days from Italy. Crazy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well i got two gold 11SL chains from wiggle and they're 51 loving dollars now, what in the absolute hell. that was the sale price instead of new MSRP of 74 dollars

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The gold versions were always around that price I thought?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I'm a gold YBN-SLA110 fan, but even those are like $45 each.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The gold versions have always been a touch more expensive than the silver.

(Personally I use a dura ace chain with a gold KMC reusable quick link to make it easy to find)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Vando posted:

The gold versions were always around that price I thought?

i think that's true but when i was looking yesterday the gold was on sale at 30ish percent off and silver full price.

i looked for dura ace but it was sold out everywhere (not buying bike poo poo on amazon anymore)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-hg-901-dura-ace-9100-11-speed-chain-60616.html
https://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-chains/shimano-dura-ace-r9100-11-speed-chain/11335871.html

For future reference (both of these shops are legit)

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

BraveUlysses posted:

i think that's true but when i was looking yesterday the gold was on sale at 30ish percent off and silver full price.

i looked for dura ace but it was sold out everywhere (not buying bike poo poo on amazon anymore)

Wiggle 'sales' are not really sales, MSRP is pretty much always super inflated over realistic pricing (except if things get really bananas with supply)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spf3million posted:

Starbike had great prices but I ordered a bunch of parts almost a month ago and the package still hasn't left Frankfurt :argh:
Hot drat, the order I placed on 10/31, shipped on 11/12 landed in the US today. :woop:

Looks like the wheels will be the last thing to show up, shipped on 12/1

e: another teaser on a part that has arrived

spf3million fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 3, 2021

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Bike24 shipped my dynamo light and it took for-loving-ever

It was way cheaper but god drat

Bike24 dynamo bits are hard to beat. Mine took about 5 days though, a few weeks ago.

(just the rear to wire up still)

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

(Personally I use a dura ace chain with a gold KMC reusable quick link to make it easy to find)

this is the way!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

sweat poteto posted:

Bike24 dynamo bits are hard to beat. Mine took about 5 days though, a few weeks ago.

Extremely good!

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

sweat poteto posted:

Eyyyyyyy there it is!!

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

sweat poteto posted:

Silver components continue to own

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
A surprisingly warm day today, about 70° F (294 K), so I took another ride down the Confluence Trail. Did about 25 miles.

I waited all last winter for a warm day between December and February; we usually get one or two. Never happened. It was nice to get back on the trail today, especially after a week of being sick, and another week of it trying to linger on before my immune system finally killed it.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
When a store has the type of bike you're looking for in stock in this day and age (and is 10% off) then you pounce. I think this will do for bikepacking around Japan.

This is my first disc brake bike too. :3: I should start hoarding pads.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

BraveUlysses posted:

well i got two gold 11SL chains from wiggle and they're 51 loving dollars now, what in the absolute hell. that was the sale price instead of new MSRP of 74 dollars

I've always liked KMC X11SL TiN chains. IMO they are finished way, way better than the YBN equivalent. It's something I felt instantly in my hand, the edges of the links, the chamfers to aid shifting, etc. Even the "gold" is a better color on the KMC vs YBN.

The gold YBN SLA110 I had on my trainer is the only chain I've ever snapped ever. It broke at a random pin.
The black YBN SLA110 I had in my hot-melt wax rotation started losing its black coating on the inner links after one ride. I recently stored the freshly waxed chain in the garage near the front fans of my trainer. When it came time to pop it on my bike I noticed rust spots all over the chain. My KMC X11SLs have never rusted, nor have my SRAM Red PC-22 chains or even my Force PC-1170 chains. The only other chain that has rusted for me in the last 5 years was a cheaper KMC 11.93, which started rusting almost immediately after I put it on my indoor trainer bike.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 4, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

paperwind posted:

When a store has the type of bike you're looking for in stock in this day and age (and is 10% off) then you pounce. I think this will do for bikepacking around Japan.

This is my first disc brake bike too. :3: I should start hoarding pads.

great color livery on this! looks very fun

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Money spent on bike/distance traveled on said bike

It's an interesting lens to view bike ownership especially as a commuting devic e

My drop bar abomination is sitting at ~15c/km

And my cruiser cum cargo bike is sitting at ~$1/km

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Jestery posted:

Money spent on bike/distance traveled on said bike

It's an interesting lens to view bike ownership especially as a commuting devic e

My drop bar abomination is sitting at ~15c/km

And my cruiser cum cargo bike is sitting at ~$1/km

High and low is a bit shocking.

Race bike: $8.18/km. (honestly surprised it's that low, given it's only half a season old)

Commute bike: $0.22/km (surprised it's not lower, but pretty good I guess)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

bicievino posted:

High and low is a bit shocking.

Race bike: $8.18/km. (honestly surprised it's that low, given it's only half a season old)

Are you factoring in the gold earned, though?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

Are you factoring in the gold earned, though?

USAC medals come from AliExpress, so I never considered biting it.

They actually ran out this year mid-championships because the ones they ordered got stuck in customs.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Should I go cycling today?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Sab0921 posted:

Should I go cycling today?

u know the answer

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

bicievino posted:

USAC medals come from AliExpress, so I never considered biting it.

They actually ran out this year mid-championships because the ones they ordered got stuck in customs.

Stop, you’re breaking my heart.

Edit: my new gravel situation is sitting at 8.17/km with close to 4 weeks of winter riding.

My 11 year old nexus 8 speed commuter is probably down to fractions of a penny at this point, kind of wish I had a bike computer on that old girl just to be bewildered.

osker fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 4, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
My trainer bike is either by far the cheapest or by far the most expensive depending on whether virtual miles deserve virtual attaboys.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
scored ANOTHER set of wheels today, a pair of DT swiss r470db, not too many miles on them and came with rotors and hubs. i think these are lighter than my wtb i23 wheels so those might end up being my backup set.

is gorilla tape good for setting these up as tubeless? i seem to remember seeing people mention it and there are youtube videos showing people installing it.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I went cycling today even though the weather was decidedly not fun. Between 30 and 40 and real wet is just a recipe for miserable. Colder or warmer or dryer and I can manage, but ugh.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

BraveUlysses posted:

scored ANOTHER set of wheels today, a pair of DT swiss r470db, not too many miles on them and came with rotors and hubs. i think these are lighter than my wtb i23 wheels so those might end up being my backup set.

is gorilla tape good for setting these up as tubeless? i seem to remember seeing people mention it and there are youtube videos showing people installing it.

Don't use gorilla tape. Look up "green powder coat masking tape" or 3M 8992. The generic stuff comes in pretty much any width you'd need. Since the wheels you linked are 20mm internal, you can just get the 1" wide rolls. For your i23s, you'd want 1-1/8".

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

Don't use gorilla tape. Look up "green powder coat masking tape" or 3M 8992. The generic stuff comes in pretty much any width you'd need. Since the wheels you linked are 20mm internal, you can just get the 1" wide rolls. For your i23s, you'd want 1-1/8".

I did this on thread advice and it worked great, and cheaper than branded tubeless tape. 1" tape works perfect on my 21mm internal width rims.

Amazon link

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 4, 2021

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

bicievino posted:

Commute bike: $0.22/km (surprised it's not lower, but pretty good I guess)

Loving that rando bag

Would love to get one myself

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I haven't redone it in a while, but years ago I calculated my all purpose bike (incl replacement parts after several years) to be about 8-10¢/mile. Hell of a lot better than owning a car at 40-60 ¢/mile.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TT Bike - on the road - is about £10 per km (plus turbo miles it's a lot cheaper). Tarmac is around £1/km, Endurace is negative because I sold it for more than it cost, commuter I have no idea

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I think the best ratio is the BMC Teammachine that I got for $1500 and have just shy of 20k km on.

Worst is my Chisel that I got recently with only 150km on it, and it cost $800.

Shoutout to the Trek 1.2 that has 17k km and cost $150, although it’s the trainer bike.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Are you guys including maintenance costs in this or just original purchase price?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Jestery posted:

Loving that rando bag

Would love to get one myself

It's real useful this time of year for layers, rain jacket, spare pair of gloves, etc.

If I were doing it again I'd get one that doesn't require the front rack, like the routewerx bag or Swift paloma bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

PolishPandaBear posted:

Are you guys including maintenance costs in this or just original purchase price?

I was including ballpark maintenance costs but it was kinda guesstimated. Like, I know roughly how many chains, tires, and brake pads I've gone through, but that's all I've replaced.