Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I enjoyed that, I listen to the matches while working, and I was watching this morning, turned it off, then went back a few hours to see the result and saw it was still streaming, I think I caught it at move 90 or so and was riveted until the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Watching them reminded me of one of the hardest things for me to parse about chess: It is not checkers and you do not have to capture if a capture is available to you. All too possible to take an easy capture and lose a tempo or miss something.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Endgames are incredibly difficult and Carlsen once again shows he's an absolute master at them.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm watching the replay now and the Chess24 stream is really loose and funny while at the same time as Magnus putting on the incredible squeeze is great TV.

The Korchnoi/Karpov stories always crack me up.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I watched a youtube video about the rules of chess in May of this year after watching pogchamps. 2130 puzzles later I hit 2000 puzzle rating on lichess. I might starting playing chess some day! Maybe!!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Salt Fish posted:

I watched a youtube video about the rules of chess in May of this year after watching pogchamps. 2130 puzzles later I hit 2000 puzzle rating on lichess. I might starting playing chess some day! Maybe!!

That’s awesome. I’ve been enjoying puzzles as a way to force myself to rest between problems at the climbing gym.

After the Carlsen game this morning though, I picked up Chess for Dummies at the library, so we’ll see if I can commit to some structured learning.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Blown away by the fact that Carlsen finally won a game and it was only by playing a drawn endgame for 100 moves until it was the longest game in World Championship history

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Is there any data on the most common openings by rating? I'm around 1650 Blitz on lichess and I feel like there's some strange opponent behavior going on.
When I have the black pieces, most games start 1. e4 and the opponent often blitzes out a bunch of moves which I presume are theory and takes an advantage out of the opening.
But when I'm white, a lot of games go like 1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4 3. e4 and then the opponent starts spending time thinking (sometimes straight up blundering right after).

Does 1. d4 not get played very often at this level?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Redmark posted:

Is there any data on the most common openings by rating? I'm around 1650 Blitz on lichess and I feel like there's some strange opponent behavior going on.
When I have the black pieces, most games start 1. e4 and the opponent often blitzes out a bunch of moves which I presume are theory and takes an advantage out of the opening.
But when I'm white, a lot of games go like 1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4 3. e4 and then the opponent starts spending time thinking (sometimes straight up blundering right after).

https://giant.gfycat.com/AbsoluteRadiantFattaileddunnart.mp4

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Redmark posted:

3.e4 is not the main move, and the main reply (3...e5) is something players that level aren't going to know off-hand. If you played e3 or Nf3 or Nc3 they'd probably continue blitzing.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
That makes sense, I should probably do more opening analysis to see these things. It's kind of surprising though, as I figure that moves like 3. e4 would be more popular below serious play. I know I play it mainly because "something something move your pawns up control the center".

That reminds me that when I was in grade school and we played chess as kids who weren't particularly engaged, for whatever reason every single game started as a Ruy Lopez. So I always thought of it as the Default Layman Opening. But it turns out that the Italian seems significantly more popular online, so shows what I know about chess :v:

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
3.e4 in response to black accepting the Queen's Gambit is a perfectly respectable line and it's what I play.

The Ruy Lopez is super popular at all levels, but it is a crazy theoretical opening that has been studied to death and has a ton of traps as far as 15 or 20 moves down certain lines that are not intuitive to avoid if you don't have deep knowledge. I steer clear of it because even at like 1400 you never know if you're playing someone who may be a poor strategic player but they've read a book on the Ruy Lopez and will just out prep you in the opening.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Redmark posted:

1d4 is a close second. It is 2..dxc that is rare. And I suppose so is 3.e4 with e3 being the beginner recommendation and Nf3 being the master move.
1. d4 d5 2. c4
Players at 1600

Players over 2000

1. d4 d5 2. c4 dxc4
1600:

Over 2000

I am pretty surprised that Nc3 is so popular, I think it is a terrible move.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Carlsen playing exd4 is an interestingly tight early position. It feels like there should be a comfortable route to equality for black here, but it seems like there's a lot of easy ways for his b-pawn to get cut off and eventually lost.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Redmark posted:

That reminds me that when I was in grade school and we played chess as kids who weren't particularly engaged, for whatever reason every single game started as a Ruy Lopez. So I always thought of it as the Default Layman Opening. But it turns out that the Italian seems significantly more popular online, so shows what I know about chess :v:

No, the Ruy was what everyone played at my school too. I was surprised to find when I started actually studying chess this year that it's considered a sharp and highly theoretical line.

Redmark posted:

...and nowadays I too play queen's gambit as white and most often go with 3. e4 if they accept. I find the opening does well for me but I need to check over my games properly to see exactly what lines are finding success.

I know I hate playing vs the semi-slav so that's what I go for if someone plays QG against me.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 4, 2021

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Maugrim posted:

No, the Ruy was what everyone played at my school too. I was surprised to find when I started actually studying chess this year that it's considered a sharp and highly theoretical line.

same, i started playing the Italian game for a long time, because i associated the Spanish game with beginners. Now, I don't take myself so seriously anymore, and I gladly play the Spanish.

I think the Spanish game is popular with beginners because it's easy for black to goof up and drop the pawn on e5. And thats a more straightforward way to win than just having a good bishop on c4.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Game 7 N/V: yo game 6 was so sick tho

I think if I was gonna teach chess at a very low level for competition I'd actually teach modern and hypermodern stuff for openings, the Ruy Lopez is very fundamentally sound but if you go out of theory all hell breaks loose. I think below 1000 we're all just trying to avoid a disadvantage from the opening rather than gain one necessarily, I'm only now starting to wrap my head around forming a repertoire or whatever.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

algebra testes posted:

Sorry I don't play bullet chess.

:vince:

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Dias posted:

Game 7 N/V: yo game 6 was so sick tho

I think if I was gonna teach chess at a very low level for competition I'd actually teach modern and hypermodern stuff for openings, the Ruy Lopez is very fundamentally sound but if you go out of theory all hell breaks loose. I think below 1000 we're all just trying to avoid a disadvantage from the opening rather than gain one necessarily, I'm only now starting to wrap my head around forming a repertoire or whatever.

Yasser Sierawan's "Winning Chess Openings" goes through all the usual openings at a level suitable for beginner and club level, and concludes with the following advice:

If white, play the King's Indian Attack.
As black against 1. e4, play the Pirc.
As black against 1. d4, play the King's Indian Defense.

All three involve essentially the same moves, so there's no real memorization. They avoid traps and leave you with a solid defensive structure. You do pay a small price of potentially letting the opponent get a head start on the center, and they're not considered great openings at the grandmaster level. But at low levels (e.g., me), who cares? It's going to come down to tactics anyway. All you need from an opening is not to shoot yourself in the foot right out of the gate.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

-Evo 2013
It depends on the exact rating but at least up to my rating I don't think you really need any particular opening to avoid theory, because your opponent doesn't know it either. Assuming you're playing standard openings rather than dubious trap line, avoiding blunders is more about recognizing particular patterns of common "wrong" moves, which opening theory will often not help with.

A couple of examples:
I play 1. d4 as White and don't get the Slav very often, but I believe it is seen as a positional opening. However when I do see it, Black plays 4. Nc3 Bf5? at least half the time. The only reason that I see anything wrong with this is I remember seeing a Ben Finegold video on this, but because of that it's free rating points.
As I mentioned earlier people don't play the Ruy Lopez very often, but when it happens I play the Berlin (no real reason, I just like the move Nf6). For GMs the "Berlin Endgame" has a very drawish reputation. For me that line has literally never happened, and it has always become a "tactical" game of who blunders first in the struggle over the e file.

So I think descriptions of the character of an opening require a lot of caveats due to how games realistically play out. If neither you nor the opponent have the knowledge plus ability it takes to drive the game according to that character, it doesn't matter how technical the Ruy Lopez is, or how quiet "X" opening is.

Redmark fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 4, 2021

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I'm surprised Nepo didn't go all in with something risky, to use the fact Magnus must have been feeling some effects of the game 6 marathon. Of course Nepo was feeling them too, but Magnus looks impenetrable when he's at full hit points and no pressure to win. Which he will be in the next games.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Having to defend that position for the last couple of hours was probably more exhausting than it was for Carlsen who was playing for a win. Also his match position is more precarious now - if he loses again it would be catastrophic, but there are seven more games to play and Carlsen has been inaccurate several times. There's no need to try swashbuckling desperation chess yet.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I need to stop playing when I know I'm tired/tilted. I had a really nice run to 1150 today in bullet, then hopped on tonight and slid all the way down back to 1100. I feel like I'm improving, but if I'm not fully engaged I'll miss something like a back rank mate, or forget about a bishop covering a full screen diagonal, or hang a queen. Or have a winning position but run out of time, which stings.

One thing I noticed about these low elo games is: opponents don't hang pieces super often, but they will hang pawns more often than you might think. And it seems like more pieces are left undefended if they are up material: they'll start overextending thinking they can get a quick checkmate. So I've found that even if I mess up and hang a piece, sometimes I can chip away at their pawns, which creates bigger holes in their defense, or helps me get a draw or a passed pawn if I can make it to the endgame.

Per Hand_Knit's comment from Logical Chess about leaving a castled king in his optimum formation I stopped moving a6/h6 unless I really need to. I seem to be getting hit less often by crippling kingside attacks, plus it's a move I could be using getting tempo elsewhere. Sometimes I'm tempted to do it to kick a knight away, though.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Looks like Carlsen is taking another crack at the Petrov. I guess this is something he's free to do with the game in hand.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Nepo making an innovative move while carlsen is on the crapper or something, now he seems to have to wait in the room because he wants to see carlsen's face when he comes back in 10 minutes.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Simon was a weird ginge who vaped on stream, now he's like my number 1 chess pundit.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
did he say he was drinking a big glass of piss today too

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

algebra testes posted:

Simon was a weird ginge who vaped on stream, now he's like my number 1 chess pundit.

I use his black lion chess opening course on chessable when my opponent plays e4, it's very fun.

1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 Nbd7 then try to play e5 as black

It leads to some interesting positions where you pawnstorm on the kingside instead of castling, very dynamic games. It's probably not objectively good but it's a fun way to play 1.e4

He also goes over 3. ...e5 immediately instead of 3. ...Nbd7 but that usually leads to a queen trade and loss of castling privileges which is fine but not really what I want out of the opening so I don't do that.

Edit: I guess I could link the course!

https://www.chessable.com/short-sweet-the-black-lion/course/35086/

That's the free short and sweet one, but he has a paid one that's more extensive too. I haven't tried that one because I'm cheap but I'm sure it's good.

Hobojim fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 5, 2021

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Nepo in trouble after 21...b5

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I look away for a few hours, and magnus got a passed pawn again.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This game feels like an opening disaster for Nepo. He basically never 'fixed' his position after committing h5. Which, I guess, justifies Carlsen spending 40 minutes on his response.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
According to Anan, the loss against Magnus the other day must have broken Nepo's brain, because he can't find another explanation for this play. Got handed a draw on a silver platter, and chose something else, quote unquote.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
Nepo is thinking about the press conference.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I'm finding lichess puzzles to make my brain work much better than chess.com. chess.com puzzles often make no sense to me - I wimp out, view solution, don't get it - but lichess more often than not I'm like :hmmyes:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

D34THROW posted:

I'm finding lichess puzzles to make my brain work much better than chess.com. chess.com puzzles often make no sense to me - I wimp out, view solution, don't get it - but lichess more often than not I'm like :hmmyes:

when i don't understand a solution on chess.com, i find it very helpful to switch over to the analysis tab and play through the candidate lines i had in mind until i see where the problems crop up

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
just now catching up on game 8..... (duke nukem voice) What a mess.

Where did it all go wrong for black in game 8?

my guess: what was black's king doing on f8 in the first place? that's not a good square! he had to do 10... Qe7 instead of 10... Ke8, even if it means trading queens and making a draw.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

D34THROW posted:

Lichess has a bunch of weird nonsense puzzles at high puzzle ratings, but prior to that I also enjoyed their puzzles. They seemed pretty practical. Chesstempo is the only tactics site I've seen that stays fairly consistent but it doesn't seem so popular anymore.

I haven't checked out chesscom's puzzles because you had to pay to do more than a few when I was looking for sites to do puzzles on.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 5, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

chesstempo is really excellent for puzzles but its UI is atrocious so I don’t blame anyone for avoiding it

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I have to wonder, does Nepo wave the white flag and play out the string with boring draws, or does he try and manufacture wins and risk being blown out by 3 or 4 games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Konstantin posted:

I have to wonder, does Nepo wave the white flag and play out the string with boring draws, or does he try and manufacture wins and risk being blown out by 3 or 4 games?

I'd bet he goes down fighting. Granted, that usually ends poorly, but he might as well shoot his shot.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Where did it all go wrong for black in game 8?

my guess: what was black's king doing on f8 in the first place? that's not a good square! he had to do 10... Qe7 instead of 10... Ke8, even if it means trading queens and making a draw.

The K is on f8 because he couldn't castle, and he couldn't castle kingside because he played h5. While he was okay(ish) until b5, I think h5 is where it starts to go wrong for black. He basically never manages to fix his rook or even properly finish development.