Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

kazil posted:

Fortunately, I am too old to have had active shooter drills in school. What exactly is the procedure for the "all clear" I guess? A single cop going door to door in the hallway doesn't seem to be the way.

I'm feeling so old. I was in my first year of high school when Columbine happened, and it seemed like such a major event. Between covid and semi-regular school shootings kids these days have to deal with so much more bullshit than we Millennials did. No wonder so many Gen Zers are revolutionaries; they had to grow up in a post-9/11 and Columbine world without the benefit of relatively happy '90s childhoods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I found the guy who killed his parents and claimed to hear voices: Kip Kinkel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurston_High_School_shooting

quote:

In a note Kinkel left on a coffee table in the living room, he described his motive for killing his parents thus: "I just got two felonies on my record. My parents can't take that! It would destroy them. The embarrassment would be too much for them. They couldn't live with themselves." But as the note continues, he attempts to describe his mental state: "My head just doesn't work right. God drat these VOICES inside my head. ... I have to kill people. I don't know why. ... I have no other choice."

Someone brought him up on Twitter talking about the current... situation.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So where are the chudsters going then? DC, to take Biden hostage and work out a deal, or Mar-A-Lago to make real daddy president promise them a pardon for their misunderstood son?

Either is stupid enough to be feasible in their minds I’m sure.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Owlbear Camus posted:

ur honor I can safely say having been caught already my clients learned their lesson and are no longer a flight risk
Judge Susan Collins: I see. Therefore I release them on their own recognizance.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

If they're in a suburb of Detroit, they're not all that far from the Canadian border. They were probably in Canada well before lunchtime.

Maybe if they swam across the river somewhere, but to cross legally they would need a PCR Covid test and have had to register with the ArriveCAN app before crossing. Maybe they could have done it, but they don't seem like the sharpest tools in the shed. Tools yes, but not sharp.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Also, doesn't Canada extradite as long as it's not a death penalty case? Pretty sure involuntary manslaughter isn't death penalty.

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

:lol:

“We don’t qualify for state aid cuz we’re not poor enough!”

*gets notice that husband’s over $1000 behind on child support payments*

*spends over $500 buying psycho 15-year-old son a sig sauer 9mm*

*drives a 2021 Kia*

*withdraws over $4k from ATM while evading law enforcement*

Yup.

:thunk:

Wouldn’t it be funny if someone robbed them of their $4k in cash and they’re dead? :lol:

Yeah, they basically put a bounty on their own heads, payable only to the precinct of whatever cop arrests them. This might be the only time in my life the phrase "Civil forfeiture" is going to make me grin.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

lifetime supply of Pocky posted:

if you call your bank and ask nicely, you can set your limit to whatever you want.

did this to post cash bail one time

Sup, bail-posting buddy. I got to do that once, but I had to get the money in the bank lobby at a teller window.

:geno: "Hello, I need to make a withdrawal, here's the form."
:j: "Of course. Oh! ...Are you sure you want to take out this much in cash?"
:geno: "Unfortunately, yes. Cash is all they'll take."
:j: (Eyes go wide) "Okay, I do have to warn you that that's a serious red flag. Whatever this money is for is likely to be a scam. Anyone reputable will take something like a cashier's check or a direct funds transfer for this amount. Or even a normal check that you write them, since they can--"
:geno: "They won't take any of those."
:j: "...Okay, but I have to ask again, are you really sure? Do you personally know whoever this is going to?"
:geno: "It's going to the [county we were standing in] government. I'm taking this directly to the jail."
:j: (Brightens right up) "Oh, well that explains that then. Here's your [shockingly large percentage of my life savings]. Just... don't get pulled over and searched on the way there, okay? Carrying this much cash is, um, kind of a legal gray area."
:geno: "So I've heard."

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The Strangest Finch posted:

Yeah, they basically put a bounty on their own heads,

Holy poo poo! What if they didn't actually withdraw $4k form an ATM, but the cops leaked that they did so that unsavory characters would be looking for them to rob, in the hopes of pressuring the couple to turn themselves in?

It's diabolical, but for these two, I really don't give a poo poo.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Holy poo poo! What if they didn't actually withdraw $4k form an ATM, but the cops leaked that they did so that unsavory characters would be looking for them to rob, in the hopes of pressuring the couple to turn themselves in?

It's diabolical, but for these two, I really don't give a poo poo.

If that's the case, why ONLY $4k? You could say they stuffed their life savings in their bug-out bags if your only purpose is to get them hunted down by the greedy and stupid. Say their Kia SUV is filled with Nazi Gold or whatever

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

kazil posted:

Fortunately, I am too old to have had active shooter drills in school. What exactly is the procedure for the "all clear" I guess? A single cop going door to door in the hallway doesn't seem to be the way.

Too young for "duck and cover" and too old for "lights out and pretend we're not here". I think the worst worry I had growing up was that our class wouldn't collect enough pennies to refurbish the Statue of Liberty.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica

Murdstone posted:

What kind of ATM lets you get $4k?

Every ATM if you have a big enough gun

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Who wants to bet “Michigan militia” is in the news by Monday morning.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Also, doesn't Canada extradite as long as it's not a death penalty case? Pretty sure involuntary manslaughter isn't death penalty.

This is still really funny to me. Canada views America like America views Saudi Arabia or something. Just absolute savages who are morally beneath them. lol

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Asterite34 posted:

If that's the case, why ONLY $4k? You could say they stuffed their life savings in their bug-out bags if your only purpose is to get them hunted down by the greedy and stupid. Say their Kia SUV is filled with Nazi Gold or whatever

'Cuz people are already wondering, "How do you get $4000 out of an ATM? Aren't there daily and/or per machine limits?!" You tell people they're fleeing with $10k or more withdrawn from an ATM, and everyone goes, "No way!" $4K? People are thinking it's at least possible.

Hazo posted:

This is still really funny to me. Canada views America like America views Saudi Arabia or something. Just absolute savages who are morally beneath them. lol

:lol: they're right.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Powershift posted:

Who wants to bet “Michigan militia” is in the news by Monday morning.

They're going to try to go Eric Rudolph and go live wildman in the woods but they'll get caught in like, 2 days.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I bet the chud parents honestly thought some Woke Antifa hitsquad was being sent to them or Hillary got into her ninja gear to come and kill them personally.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Imagine being "treated" to this sight on Zoom and then having to look him in the eye with a straight face on national TV. :lol:

I mean you can see the face Anderson Cooper is making

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Powered Descent posted:

Sup, bail-posting buddy. I got to do that once, but I had to get the money in the bank lobby at a teller window.

:geno: "Hello, I need to make a withdrawal, here's the form."
:j: "Of course. Oh! ...Are you sure you want to take out this much in cash?"
:geno: "Unfortunately, yes. Cash is all they'll take."
:j: (Eyes go wide) "Okay, I do have to warn you that that's a serious red flag. Whatever this money is for is likely to be a scam. Anyone reputable will take something like a cashier's check or a direct funds transfer for this amount. Or even a normal check that you write them, since they can--"
:geno: "They won't take any of those."
:j: "...Okay, but I have to ask again, are you really sure? Do you personally know whoever this is going to?"
:geno: "It's going to the [county we were standing in] government. I'm taking this directly to the jail."
:j: (Brightens right up) "Oh, well that explains that then. Here's your [shockingly large percentage of my life savings]. Just... don't get pulled over and searched on the way there, okay? Carrying this much cash is, um, kind of a legal gray area."
:geno: "So I've heard."

Oh my god that would be such a great racket. If you're a cop and you could figure out where they're going to get the cash from then you pull that person over and seize it. IIRC all prison phones are bugged so as long as the person paying bail isn't a lawyer then it's free money.

.. Could they just seize it as people are going into the jail to pay it?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

bird with big dick posted:

When I was a degenerate gambler I used to regularly take a grand or more out in a day, the 300/500 dollar limits aren’t mandatory they’re usually just the default and people don’t ever request them to be raised.

Also it takes a bit for the system to catch up. Sometimes you can do the max transaction and just put your card in again and do another max transaction; sometimes you have to drive around to different ATMs within a 30 minute window.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Too young for "duck and cover" and too old for "lights out and pretend we're not here". I think the worst worry I had growing up was that our class wouldn't collect enough pennies to refurbish the Statue of Liberty.

My name my name someone said my username! Here I am! YAAAAAY!

Fire drills were all I had. Dull. When are children going to be told to take out their guns and shoot the shooter? It just makes sense. Maybe get rid of art or something so that schools can buy guns?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 4, 2021

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Duck and Cover posted:

My name my name someone said my username! Here I am! YAAAAAY!

Fire drills were all we had. Dull. When are children going to be told to take out their guns and shoot the shooter? It just makes sense. Maybe get rid of art or something so that schools can buy guns?

I uh... had air raid drills. Back in the '70s. And we hid under desks, face down on our knees with our hands clasped behind our necks because I guess that magically protected us from the debris after we got bombed by Russia?

I think I hear someone filling a disposable cup with Jello; I heard a rumor it's green today...

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Oh my god that would be such a great racket. If you're a cop and you could figure out where they're going to get the cash from then you pull that person over and seize it. IIRC all prison phones are bugged so as long as the person paying bail isn't a lawyer then it's free money.

.. Could they just seize it as people are going into the jail to pay it?

It's pretty much certain this has happened in the US in recent history -- but probably not all that frequently. Maybe I'm just being hopelessly optimistic, but I think this has mostly happened only in smallish towns, when a bank teller called a cop they knew and tattled on someone who just made a withdrawal.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

The Last Call posted:

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1466870391348109323

Imagine doing this and thinking "Oh yeah I'm the best owning these people".

Dumb loving pile of poo poo literally makes the right analogy and then fails to follow through. Yes, when it rains, you use an umbrella to keep the rain out. So, so close, but eternally too stupid to ever really get it.

I look forward to reading the tweet chain of you begging for prayers before a family member tries to tell us how kind and selfless and brave you were.

Sacks of poo poo, all of 'em. Yep, it's been two years. You had a chance to listen. Now you're just willfully an rear end in a top hat. Find out, motherfuckers. I'm done having any sympathy.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

If they're in a suburb of Detroit, they're not all that far from the Canadian border. They were probably in Canada well before lunchtime.

It's well known that Canadians are too stupid to recognize a US license plate. The sight of it just confuses them and they drive into the nearest moose.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I teach high school and a kid the other day came back from the bathroom and just stood at the door for five seconds and in my mind, just completely involuntarily, I thought "he's pulling a gun and I'm dead."

Normal thoughts, everything is going great.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It amazes me that people still voluntarily become teachers in the US. poo poo pay, poo poo systems, poo poo parents, risk of being murdered by a student, and to top it all off you have to go into debt after at least 4(?) years of uni.

If you can get into a wealthy district you’re golden. My friend makes $85K teaching history to high schoolers in the rich town 10 miles away from his house and has tenure. The sad part is the same district previously had him teaching the “troubled” POC/disabled but moved him into the rich white kids class because he was doing too well with the “troubled” kids.

He legitimately loved the troubled kids because they were actually engaged and learning while the rich white kids are coasting because they know he can’t fail them.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Having my saturday morning cartoons interrupted by the emergency broadcast system test in the event of a soviet nuclear attack was perhaps the most stable, peaceful time I have lived in.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

Asterite34 posted:

why ONLY $4k? You could say they stuffed their life savings in their bug-out bags

No, that seems like the right amount for their life savings.

Also, I grew up in the 80's and early 90's, so 'Active Shooter Drills' are the most alien loving things to me. Sorry we let things get so hosed up.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Sanctum posted:

Having my saturday morning cartoons interrupted by the emergency broadcast system test in the event of a soviet nuclear attack was perhaps the most stable, peaceful time I have lived in.

Obsidianheart posted:

Also, I grew up in the 80's and early 90's, so 'Active Shooter Drills' are the most alien loving things to me. Sorry we let things get so hosed up.

:same:

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/1466988403245858820?t=isjm3edafHhfA5UnzPDxUQ&s=19

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Oh poo poo, now they got Tommy Lee Jones after them! :lol:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

"Isle," lmao

No I do not care if someone already noticed that

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

zenguitarman posted:

I teach high school and a kid the other day came back from the bathroom and just stood at the door for five seconds and in my mind, just completely involuntarily, I thought "he's pulling a gun and I'm dead."

Normal thoughts, everything is going great.

:shudder::cripes::shepface::stonk::tviv::sympathy:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Obsidianheart posted:

Hey, if you were around in the 2000s you'd get to do the prequel to active shooter drills, lockdown drills

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

carry on then posted:

Hey, if you were around in the 2000s you'd get to do the prequel to active shooter drills, lockdown drills

No, I graduated in '95. In my school, there was no thought of a shooter situation.

EDIT: For reference, a kid brought an unloaded gun to school early in my Junior year, and got sent to Alternative School (in the Football Stadium offices) for the rest of the year.

Obsidianheart fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 4, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Bogus Adventure posted:

"Isle," lmao

No I do not care if someone already noticed that

LOL!! It's incredible.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Obsidianheart posted:

No, I graduated in '95. In my school, there was no thought of a shooter situation.

EDIT: For reference, a kid brought an unloaded gun to school early in my Junior year, and got sent to Alternative School (in the Football Stadium offices) for the rest of the year.

I graduated high school in 98 and spent my junior and senior year wearing trench coats to school. Timing worked out for me, i guess.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Dr.Smasher posted:

I graduated high school in 98 and spent my junior and senior year wearing trench coats to school. Timing worked out for me, i guess.

Lol, same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

$14,000 reward, nice