Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

this dude cannot figure out how to open a can. if you do not tell him this he will kill the cat.

Sitting over here, exhausted, stressed, perturbed, putting together a list for OP that includes literally all things a cat cannot eat. Grapes. White chocolate. Batteries. Insulation. Borax. I begin googling "list of all poisons" .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
like what do these useless fucks do if they don't have their moms or mom substitutes around, do they just starve, or die of some kind of poo poo-wallowing disease because they never wash anything, or what

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

thread title god please

Nthing this. The learned helplessness is just :discourse:

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

zharmad posted:

The only way I can read what he wrote after saying he doesn't know how to feed a cat is them "making breakfast together" is really his wife cooking while he is wasting oxygen in the kitchen.

He mixes the ingredients together like mommy's big boy helper!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
and where do they even learn this poo poo, or fail to learn it rather

like, when i was a kid, whenever i'd ask my mom to do some poo poo that i could do myself, she'd say "do it yourself, your arms and legs ain't broken" (with the corollary, "...but they could be", left unspoken), and so i learned to do poo poo for myself. like pouring a bowl of loving cereal, for example

i mean i used to get mad at mom for that but she was totally doing me a solid

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ChickenDoodle posted:

As the person who suggested the current title I second the motion

HOW I DO FEED CAT????

First mine some fish.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

update: it was a dog you guys!! no breakthroughs on how it eats. frankly i've been setback

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

quote:

Cooking together is one of our love languages. It isn’t as special if I make it myself. Also she makes really good homemade biscuits, I was hoping she would cook them for me.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
doing all the chores together is our love language

*flops down on the couch* whaaaat, i got the mop and bucket out of the closet, i helped

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
it's too creepy to be real right

he's got serious abandonment issues and is (presumably?) having sex with his mother figure

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
loving "love languages" as a way to explain that sometimes people might express things differently getting coopted into a completely new and exciting way to justify abuse and neglect! Wooooo!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Until you successfully burn water you are not excused from kitchen work.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
https://i.imgur.com/HhFkkLo.mp4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Foo Diddley posted:

and where do they even learn this poo poo, or fail to learn it rather

like, when i was a kid, whenever i'd ask my mom to do some poo poo that i could do myself, she'd say "do it yourself, your arms and legs ain't broken" (with the corollary, "...but they could be", left unspoken), and so i learned to do poo poo for myself. like pouring a bowl of loving cereal, for example

i mean i used to get mad at mom for that but she was totally doing me a solid

Depends. Some parents, even progressive ones, just can't be bothered teaching boys (and sometimes girls) how to do anything, assuming they will always have A Woman To Do It For Them. Others just go straight from 'You're too young, you'll just screw it up' to 'You're old enough by now that you should already know this' without anything in between.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Depends. Some parents, even progressive ones, just can't be bothered teaching boys (and sometimes girls) how to do anything, assuming they will always have A Woman To Do It For Them. Others just go straight from 'You're too young, you'll just screw it up' to 'You're old enough by now that you should already know this' without anything in between.

well if i responded to "do it yourself" with "but i don't know how", my parents would've shown me how. unless i was claiming i didn't know how to pour a bowl of cereal or something; that would've just gotten me an rear end whipping

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
also when i moved out i found out there was a lot of domestic poo poo i actually had no clue how to do, so what i'd do is call my folks and ask them. it really made them happy to 1) hear from me and 2) still feel necessary in their kid's life. mom appreciated it the most

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for calling my brother out on his lie about supposedly living in poverty?

quote:

My parents had me (29M) young so growing up we lived in a bad neighborhood. And I mean like drive-bys almost daily, police always poking around, helicopters, never was allowed to play outside. And my parents struggled to make ends meet so sometimes didn’t even get proper meals. My dad got a better high paying job when I was around 7-8 and we moved to a wayyy nicer neighborhood. And everything was different. By the time my brother was born (21M), we had a house with our own rooms in a more suburban area, got to go to private school, got a nanny and everything. Basically was a different life style from the one I had at first. My parents got me into therapy for some stuff I saw as a kid. Still suffer from ptsd but not as severe from when I was a teen

They were never ashamed to tell him about the kind of life we had before and I used to share stories about crazy stuff that happened to me when we got older. He’s been going out with his girlfriend for almost 2 years but we don’t see her that often. She came over last weekend for brunch and we were all just chatting.

Conversation got to where I went to school as a kid and she said something like “oh yeah Devin told me how bad it got at that school” and I was thinking what? Devin never went there. Then she was confused. Obviously my brother was nervous. My dad asked some more stuff like what else did he tell her. As it turns out almost all the stuff I talked about to him that happened to me, he lied to her and said it happened to him. And I called him out right there. First of all I was mad for him making up such pointless lies but also for thinking it’s okay to use MY traumas for himself. I don’t even get why. It’s not “cool” to have experienced the things I have. Devin was super red, that I could tell. My dad was kind of scolding him too. His girlfriend looked really uncomfortable and like she couldn’t believe why he’d tell her all that, that she actually cried for him when he told her about his “lovely childhood.” We were all pretty mad. So that whole thing ended quickly.

My brother hasn’t stopped saying poo poo. Dad and I are on the same page but my mom really thinks I was an rear end in a top hat because it was not the time and place to have that discussion. My brother says it was a bunch of harmless lies that I didn’t need to point out at the moment since now his girlfriend isn’t happy with him. Yeah he lied I know but was I an rear end in a top hat for pointing it out when I did? Was just so mad it really didn’t occur to me if it was the right moment to say something.
Give me your trauma.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Foo Diddley posted:

well if i responded to "do it yourself" with "but i don't know how", my parents would've shown me how. unless i was claiming i didn't know how to pour a bowl of cereal or something; that would've just gotten me an rear end whipping

Yeah plenty of parents refused to teach us how to do anything and then got mad at us when we didn't absorb life skills via osmosis once we were "old enough" to know how.

I still remember how well into middle school mom refused to let me run the washing machine because I wasn't old enough. Then one day she told me to run a load of laundry. I asked how to use the washer and I got yelled at and grounded for backtalk and refusing to do my chores because I was old enough to know how to do laundry. This comes up in the estranged parents thread a fair bit.

My mom and grandma also refused to teach my anything about cooking even when I asked which I assume was because men don't cook.

Anyways content:

AITA for refusing for babysit my neighbors' children?

quote:

Edit: typo in the title: for refusing to babysit.

My husband and I (F) moved into a new neighborhood a few weeks back. The new house is great. We have our own yard and both us and our doggies enjoy it a lot.

We're childless and we don't plan on having children. We're not comfortable around kids, especially very young ones and we have zero experience in dealing with children. Our neighborhood is full of parents. We're the only childless couple. Since we moved in, we have been friendly with our neighbors and their children, but we don't join their activities. They have barbecue parties, swimming pool parties and they gather with their kids etc. and we don't really like the noise of kids, so we just keep our distance. Some have made rude comments about this saying we need to socialize more and I kept explaining that's how we are and they need to accept it.

Anyways, yesterday one neighbor came to me asking if I could babysit her two kids (5 and 7) all day Saturday. I politely declined explaining that I don't feel comfortable taking care of such young children. And even if I were, I have no time to babysit because I'm doing some freelancing in the weekend which I don't want to reschedule since I'm very much enjoying it and making money out of it.

She said okay and left. Then her husband came and demanded I explain myself. I said I already did and he said that 'not feeling comfortable' isn't a reason and I'm a woman, how can I possibly feel uncomfortable? That annoyed me and I snapped telling him he doesn't dictate what I'm supposed to feel and I have no obligation to watch their kids. There are many other parents in the neighborhood that can do that or they could hire a babysitter. He said why hire when I'm childless and available for free?

I got really angry and screamed at him that I'm not a loving free babysitter just because I have no kids of my own. Told him to gently caress off and never come to me with such ridiculous demands.

The neighborhood group chat blew up immediately with all sorts of bad comments about me. They've been calling me an rear end in a top hat for refusing to help. When my husband came home he was shocked at their demands and wanted to go yell at them some, but I stopped him.

Now, some of the comments in the chat made me think they're right and I am an rear end in a top hat. It's tough raising kids. And it's difficult to find reliable babysitters. So, am I the rear end in a top hat for not helping the parents? I was pretty confident I'm not an rear end in a top hat, but now I don't know anymore.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Baronjutter posted:

This dude couldn't get past the "pick up that can" section of Half Life 2.

ayy lmao

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for refusing for babysit my neighbors' children?

50/50 they leave the kids on OP's front porch on Saturday.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

EvilHawk posted:

This is very true and I thought it went without saying

That being said cats are wayyyyy better than dogs at regulating what they eat. If a cat sees something bad (or sometimes perfectly good food I've literally just put into your bowl you piece of poo poo) they'll generally turn their nose up and walk away. A dog will wolf that poo poo down and ask for more.

Last issue was butter and puke, but one dog is big enough to find cat box poop, cheese, popcorn, and butter
They will also poo poo, be happy, fart, and emit vile puke everywhere, respectively.

They're also incredibly cool with raw chicken wings which is apparently a thing according to the adoption agency/fosterer. I guess it helps with self expectorating anal glands.

We try to put in safeguards for the dogs, but the cats are food snobs unless it comes to random hair that comes their way. Sneaky assholes.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Soylent Pudding posted:

I still remember how well into middle school mom refused to let me run the washing machine because I wasn't old enough. Then one day she told me to run a load of laundry. I asked how to use the washer and I got yelled at and grounded for backtalk and refusing to do my chores because I was old enough to know how to do laundry. This comes up in the estranged parents thread a fair bit.

i got tired of waiting for mom to wash my clothes one time so i figured, well how hard can it be, you put in the clothes and soap and you press a button. so i washed my own clothes, right

mom was so stoked that i had done this, that that was it; i was washing my own clothes from then on. there was no way i could have let her down after that

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Sorry honey, my love language is being a needy little poo poo and having you cook for me.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

Foo Diddley posted:

i got tired of waiting for mom to wash my clothes one time so i figured, well how hard can it be, you put in the clothes and soap and you press a button. so i washed my own clothes, right

mom was so stoked that i had done this, that that was it; i was washing my own clothes from then on. there was no way i could have let her down after that

I think I could have benefited from a "conversation." I feel like there was a lingering cat pee smell from the clothing I threw in the corner of my room in high school. I knew how to do laundry, I just didn't do it. Whatever, I'm in a good place now helped by realizing "nobody got hurt" past decisions and thought processes since overall my childhood was good.

TLDR: I might have smelled like cat pee as a kid, but I also figured out how washing machines work.

Please don't tell the internet. This is just between us.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for stopping my neighbors from using my cars?

quote:

Sorry, I'm uneducated so English might be bad.

My neighbour is a single mom with 4 kids. I happen to have 6 cars and 2 motorcycles, mostly repossessed cars because my customers either junk their cars with me, don't pay, or ghosted me I'm a mechanic. So I offered the lady a Peugeot 508(my ex-uber car), saying that it's one of the cars I don't drive frequently and she can use it for however long she like.

So anyway, one day I towed back a 2010(?) Audi A4 that my friend didn't want anymore. And I spent 2 weeks sourcing parts and fixing it after work. She saw the car working and asked if it's possible that she can drive that instead of the Peugeot. I agreed and told her that she can only drive it for 6 weeks because I am selling that Audi later on, and registration expired in 2 months time, I need 2 weeks to prepare the car for sale. 5 weeks later she came up to me and asked if she car buy that Audi from me, I of course agreed. Considering she's my neighbour I said it would cost $5000 including on-road costs. btw 2010 A4 here costs on average $8-$12k. She asks for a discount, I said impossible, because I am literally giving her the lowest cost with zero profit.

Week 6 I went asking for the car, She offered me $1200 for the car. (can't even cover the costs of the parts). I told her nope, for that price it's impossible to buy a car with registration and roadworthy certificate in Victoria. And I insisted on having the keys back. She then said she's in a hurry and needs to go somewhere, I obliged and say I will get the key from her later. Later didn't come, as she was avoiding me.

Week 7, I asked her daughter who happens to be loitering around the court if she can get a chance to give me the car keys. She happily did it for me. I drove the car back to my workshop. And stayed until 11pm preparing the Audi for sales. After like 5-6 inspections one guy bought it at my asking price. $8.2k, I was happy, finished work went home. This neighbour then came knocking on my door and screaming at me. Asking me where is the car, I said I sold it. She then started saying that I "stole" her car. And that I'm stingy etc... And was going to complain to the council about the number of cars I own. I told her to F**k off and not to step into my front yard again or I'm going to call the police. Then she started negotiating if she could have the Peugeot back and stuff. I just shut the door and told her to leave

I know she's not a wonderful person, but her kids are innocent, and they're always polite to me and sometimes even help me by taking out my wheelie bins, mowing the lawn etc... And she uses the car to ferry her kids to school and shopping etc... Now her kids are walking to school and have to carry the shopping from far. I have an abundance of cars, I literally just have them sitting as lawn ornaments and rusting. I feel like TA to the kids.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

He's paying college girls for sex and calling himself a "sugar daddy".

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for stopping my neighbors from using my cars?

Give me your car, mate

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 4, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
A couple I used to nanny for have two kids, and at least one is going to be on the hunt for a bangmaid when he gets older. Neither kid have any chores; they're teenagers, and while they make their own lunches, taking their dishes to the kitchen/not leaving them where the dogs can get them/actually putting them in the dishwasher is something their mom does for them.

Same with all the usual household and yard chores; the last time I housesat with both kids there, they were stunned when I divved up chores for them. I told them I didn't care who did what, but the plants were to be watered daily, the dog poop cleaned up daily, no dishes left out, no loving dirty laundry left out, and if they left their various game controllers where the dogs could get them, they'd be out said controllers. Their parents were amazed that they actually did the chores...and as soon as I left, parents went back to doing everything for them.

WIBTA if I tell my lgbt+ club coordinator not to pair me up with lesbians and asexual girls?

quote:

For the new year, beginning of January, I will be reenrolling in a very big lgbt+ club. I don’t have any hatred towards lesbians and asexual girls but, as a bi guy, I can’t imagine having anything in common with those girls or any possibility of having any fun with them. I hardly make friends with girls I don’t find attractive, let alone if they’re attractive and would never want to have sex with me no matter what. With guys, I don’t care about what their orientation is or if I’m attracted to them or not. I’m more into girls than guys. My club coordinator is very opinionated and gets offended easily. I think he has knowingly put me in group activities I wasn’t comfortable with and I didn’t enjoyed being paired up with any of those girls. WIBTA if I say that to my club coordinator and will it create more conflict between us?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He's paying college girls for sex and calling himself a "sugar daddy".

he sounds like he thinks he's living his best life, but the aita is probably because deep down it's just not fulfilling and he's trying to figure out how best to life-hack his solution to wanting intimacy by keeping on the routine of throwing money at the problem.

shockingly, when your entire personality in relationships is "the guy who pays for everything" you'll never develop any kind of connection to your partner beyond a surface level attraction to the whole experience much less them developing one for you.

it is sublimely weird he phrases it as "giving back to the community" though

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

pentyne posted:

he sounds like he thinks he's living his best life, but the aita is probably because deep down it's just not fulfilling and he's trying to figure out how best to life-hack his solution to wanting intimacy by keeping on the routine of throwing money at the problem.

dummy just needs to tick the "girlfriend experience" box on the form, you can absolutely throw money at someone to feign high quality intimacy real good atcha

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

My story has elements of the same stuff, the WHAT IN THE WORLD HAPPENED? Mine played out with a religious attachment to it, which for me makes the HURT more bizarre. Imagine having a son that was a youth pastor. Who got that position YOUNG, because the former one, a good guy, got railroaded out by this family that didn’t LIKE him and agitated to the point of heartbreak for him and his family that he just exited. This family did NOTHING but agitate to get everything they wanted. Imagine having this woman that caused so much grief sit in your living room and CLAIM your son for her daughter as her future spouse, when they weren’t even dating and he had NO interest. WEIRD. Most people steered clear of them, and didn’t interact with their drama for self preservation reasons. I didn’t appreciate her coming to me with a DEMAND like this. I kindly said, the kids were TOO young, had no history of dating and I wouldn’t entertain any such notions, and asked her to leave my home. Her kids were isolated, she decided WHO they would associate with and who they wouldn’t. She was an all consuming control type and pushed until she got what she wanted, and used whatever tactic she could to get HER WAY. I just dismissed this as a strange encounter. Boy was I naive. Her kids were socially awkward due to their extremely domineering mom. What happened, occurred so QUICK that it just is bizarre and nothing in my life prepared me for this type of ambush. My son went off to college, while away she and her daughter arrived to visit, several times WHO does this? Didn’t know anything about these “visits”. My son never mentioned them at all, maybe he couldn’t process them. I don’t know. She stopped going and just sent the daughter. In a span of 6 mths, my son changed. Ok, kids grow up, find their own way, it is how you want their life to go. You try to believe you prepared them, and let them have their own journey. He was 20. What you don’t want is him cutting off ALL the good influences, which I was hearing about through long time friends who were perplexed and hurt, coming to me and asking what happened as well. He was ABSORBED into a family that most people shunned due to their controlling ways. This girl wasn’t at all what you want for your kid to be associated with on ANY level-won’t say why but every parent wants BETTER for their kid, just saying. Lots of issues due to an all consuming mom. She was told her mom would pick her future, or she would be put out. She PICKED my son for her family, as if she had a choice. She couldn’t/wouldn’t DARE go against her mom. Meanwhile folks would come and tell me don’t let that family get a foothold, they are TROUBLE. Several pastors came and told me the same thing. All these warnings, and I guess I didn’t comprehend the seriousness of what was going down behind the scenes. Then BAM.

I got a call, from my son on spring break that he was in town, staying with this family. WHAT? I mean WHAT? WHY? HUH? This is not what the plan was, he was coming home, and we had discussed all the events he would like to accomplish I had NO knowledge that anything was amiss, or different. Then it went SOUTH, in an instant, with NO warning. Oh and by the way he was engaged.

Sidenote. This daughter had tried to befriend me at church services. I had switched churches awhile back to not be associated with his ‘work” or caught up in church drama unfolding, and truthfully, I was happier in the new church as I didn’t LIKE what went down with the Youth Pastor ordeal, or how my son was appointed to his new “job”. During those months, she would show up and try to befriend me and I didn’t GET it. I had absolutely nothing in common and she wanted info on my son and I wasn’t offering any. I caught her in many lies and was turned off. She did say her mom had chosen her future and she wasn’t comfortable with it. I couldn’t relate to this at all, didn’t know them well enough to comment, I had just heard of situations where her mom caused tremendous grief to others. I think the Pastor didn’t KNOW how to deal with them either. So I didn’t go there with her. I wasn’t wanting any association or involved in any drama of that family.

Back to the call-it was like talking to a stranger, not the son that had been so close to. I hadn’t noticed ANYTHING different in our dealings up to that call. Looking back I guess my former son chose not to share ANYTHING pertaining to his interaction with that family. I was TOLD by church folks how it played out. He was TOO young for marriage, and this girl wasn’t marriage material from ANY standpoint. He couldn’t provide financially, he was just getting through his first year. It was all making NO sense. At Christmas he was dating a lovely girl, I don’t even know what happened there. NO one discusses that, but it wasn’t really serious, just friends I think. He just said to me, in a very condescending tone (not at all the norm) I will marry her, it is not up for discussion, just want you to hear it from me, and oh by the way I am not talking to you anymore if you can’t get onboard. Of course I couldn’t get on board. Why was he willing to THROW out his future for a girl he NEVER expressed any INTEREST in, which wasn’t his way at all. The biggest question I had, was if this is the LOVE of your life, why wouldn’t he TELL me that, or SHARE anything about it, or sneak around. This was NOT the nature of our relationship EVER. He told me everything, he told his long time friends everything, and they were in the DARK as much as I was and NO ONE understood. We were cut off. Maybe the person we use to know wasn’t his authentic self, but this person is no one I want ties with despite a DNA connection. The whole conversation played out in less than a few moments, and shattered my world. It made NO sense. The disrespect was ENORMOUS, not the son I ever knew-not the person ANY of us knew, it was like an impostor. All I said is have a great life, since I was deleted from it. The next months played out in ugly fashion. Numerous visits from those knowing him, telling me they didn’t understand. NO ONE understood, especially me. Then I heard the blow by blow account of how this woman/mom was spreading LIES about me. I bowed out at the phone call completely. I didn’t talk to anyone but close friends, not associated with the church. Everyone was as shocked as I was. NO ONE could process how this played out. I don’t have to be told, or claw, or fight my way to have a relationship with anyone who says they are DONE with me.

The wedding came and went. I didn’t attend, nor would I. The hurt was TOO much. It was his life, he deleted me and that was the end of it. I wouldn’t interfere. The girl attempted to “include” me in various ways, which I found to be only manipulations. I didn’t HAVE a relationship with her, this needed to be settled with my son. Who wasn’t anyone I knew anymore at all. He eventually became the Pastor at that church. He does sermons on topics I find utterly offensive only because he doesn’t LIVE out what he is preaching about. He had two daughters. I lost a baby and it was very traumatic for me, I almost died in the process, and it was just a painful event/subject we couldn’t talk about much. He was 14, then, we did some grief counseling, but maybe not enough, WHO KNOWS. Everything about that event was ugly, I had blended a family and the event basically ended that relationship- too much scar tissue for everyone. When the marriage ended it was just us on our own, and we did our best to move ahead. He DARED to name the girl after her and for me, and the circumstances playing out with his bizarre union, was the absolute WORST thing ever. If ever a reconciliation could have happened. That severed it for me. It was meant to hurt, and I didn’t deserve that at all. The girl stepped up her game to get me involved with them with the birth of their daughter. I never took the bait. Had my son come to visit, TALK to me one on one things might have played out differently. He cut me out of his life on the phone call, I contend that it was his responsibility to reach out. He chose this family, he basically told me don’t DARE to be apart of my life any longer and I respected his boundary, wished him well, but I would NOT enter into their drama. His church was less than 5 mins from our house. I gave it 5 yrs, I heard through church folks, that I was weaved into sermons as how NOT to act. WOW. I never KNEW I was the enemy. Oh well. I was just a mom, trying to be a good one.

He started it with lies, he cut me off in a phone call. His wife tried to soothe the issue, but for me it isn’t so much about her as it was about my son cutting me from his life on a phone call that made NO sense. They have a good life from what I know. I left the state as there are nothing but bittersweet memories there. The son I knew died, this man that he became isn’t a guy that any of us recognize, nor anyone I would pursue if there wasn’t a DNA link. If his choice works for him, GREAT. No malice on my part, just mostly lack of understanding. I stopped trying to process it. If the boundary was given that you are cut off, then nothing can be done. Those pastors that all visited me to warn me about this family and told me to not let him associate with them. All have accepted it, and the ties are restored. In many ways I guess I am the scapegoat for the scenario. If he is happy, that was what I wished for ALL his life. I refuse to be linked to toxic folks. As a family they run their lil church and it seems to work out, so blessings on them all. Funny, this ended up with me working in the home healthcare industry. Probably because I can’t go to church anymore. I want to serve, I just can’t face “church” as I once knew it, so I work with the “least” of these, providing care and compassion to those with no one. Knowing what that is like, I guess I can relate and hope when my life gets difficult and I have to rely on others, that there is a compassionate stranger willing to come to my aid. I did find out over the years that many parents have had similar experiences of being cut off. Treated horribly when it wasn’t deserved. Funny how many of those I have shared with, came from worse family situations, they tried their utmost to be a better parent, and I think we WERE, but the kids feel differently for very questionable reasons. Maybe they will do better with their kids.

This is a nightmare to decipher but I'l try. First the Poster's version:

quote:

My family was just my son and me. We went to a church where there was a terrible family. One day the family's domineering and controlling mother, who decided who her children would associate with, and her daughter (Girl) visited and announced that my son was going to marry Girl. My son then went to college, where, without my knowledge, the mother and Girl visited him regularly. Girl also tried to develop a relationship with me and get information about Son, whom she was visiting regularly, but I was having none of it because she was the sort of kid you don't want your children to associate with. Then at Easter break my son called to say that he was staying with terrible family. He told me that he didn't want a relationship with me unless I could be happy for him. I wouldn't be happy for him, which meant that he had already rejected me. He married Girl. Girl tried to befriend me, but she was obviously manipulating me for unknown reasons; the only way my relationship with my son could be repaired would be if he (???). Then he and Girl had two children and named one of them after his sister who died as an infant when he was fourteen. This was done only to hurt me, as my son has no emotional connection to his sister whatsoever.

I wish I could be sure this was a troll.

Anyway, sane person translation: Poster was a horrible, controlling, domineering mother. Son met Girl and her family at church but didn't mention it to Poster, knowing she would make his life unbearable. Son kept the relationship a secret until he was able to get away from Poster for good. The family helped Son get a job as youth pastor in the church (did he finish school? unclear). Girl tried to be nice to Poster but Poster thought that Girl was (trailer trash? A slut? I really have no clue what was supposed to be wrong with her) and was manipulating her or something. Poster is now a victim forever while Son is happily married and has named one of his children after the little sister he never had the chance to know. As long as the church isn't some weird cult-y thing I'm content with how this has played out. I'd sort of like to see Poster having some more of a nervous breakdown. Get more information.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Brawnfire posted:

How the gently caress is it unprofessional to cancel an interview with someone who abused an employee

Because she was guilty of the greatest crime - making a man look bad.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

trickybiscuits posted:

Anyway, sane person translation: Poster was a horrible, controlling, domineering mother. Son met Girl and her family at church but didn't mention it to Poster, knowing she would make his life unbearable. Son kept the relationship a secret until he was able to get away from Poster for good. The family helped Son get a job as youth pastor in the church (did he finish school? unclear). Girl tried to be nice to Poster but Poster thought that Girl was (trailer trash? A slut? I really have no clue what was supposed to be wrong with her) and was manipulating her or something. Poster is now a victim forever while Son is happily married and has named one of his children after the little sister he never had the chance to know. As long as the church isn't some weird cult-y thing I'm content with how this has played out. I'd sort of like to see Poster having some more of a nervous breakdown. Get more information.

is using all caps at random one of this church's religious practices?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

trickybiscuits posted:

I think they might be witches/cultists who got SON possessed by a ghost/demon/demigod like in that movie Hereditary. That's why his personality changed overnight and all his friends are baffled.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I have no idea how you were able to get through that post. It's insane and unreadable.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
picks up a piece of kibble between thumb and forefinger

aims at kittys mouth

miss to the left
miss to the left
miss to the right

stops..

miss to the left

kitten walka away

"OK this is ridiculous. honey, I really need a hand here!"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for giving my fiancé and ultimatum about inviting his sister at our wedding

quote:

My SIL and I have never got along. She's the kind of person to always do things on the expense of others. She's the kind of person to say or do something hurtful but then claim its a joke.

For example some time ago I had bought a bag. My SIL was always saying how she's jealous that I have that bag. She kept joking about how she'll throw wine on it because if she can't have nice things then I can't either. At some point she actually threw wine on my bag, totally ruining it.

Another time on my bday party, I was wearing a red velvet vintage dress which used to be my mother's and it has sentimental value. Throughout the whole party my SIL kept joking how she'd throw me in the pool with the chlorine and ruin my dress. She then told me not to worry and she was joking. I was on guard about this and so was my fiancé. She actually caught me off guard at some point and tried to throw me into the pull but my friend pulled me and I didn't fall.

I want to clarify that in every single situation my fiancé has fought with her and defended me. After she tried that stunt with the dress and the pool he gave her a warning that the next time she does something like that she's out of our lives. She insisted she's just joking.

Now she is joking that she will wear white to our wedding and she might accidentally throw wine on my wedding dress. Having had enough of her "jokes" I told my fiancé she's no longer invited and that I can't trust her since she always jokes but then goes along with her plan. He reassured me she wouldn't do it this time because he gave her a warning. I told her I can't trust her and I don't feel comfortable with her there. He then got mad that I implied his sister is not in our wedding.

He told me " Do you hear yourself? She's my sister and you expect me to uninvite her just like that". I told him I have valid reasons and he thinks she won't do it again. I told her that I won't get through with the wedding unless he agrees on uninviting his sister. He believes I'm TA for giving him an ultimatum. AITA???

please invite her to your wedding because i want to hear more stories about this woman

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, can we not do estranged parents forums posts here? There’s already a whole thread for that, and it’s a bummer for most and highly upsetting for some when it gets posted here. Historically, it turns this thread into Goon Therapy rather than Reddit mockery. Seriously, please stop.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think they might be witches/cultists who got SON possessed by a ghost/demon/demigod like in that movie Hereditary. That's why his personality changed overnight and all his friends are baffled.

'Personality changed overnight' should be pretty much always read as 'They stopped keeping up the act they put on so I don't go even more psycho than usual at them'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Yeah, can we not do estranged parents forums posts here? There’s already a whole thread for that, and it’s a bummer for most and highly upsetting for some when it gets posted here. Historically, it turns this thread into Goon Therapy rather than Reddit mockery. Seriously, please stop.

I haven't seen that happen, and I enjoy the occasional insane parent. Maybe people could make it clear when posts are from estranged parents at the top so people who aren't interested can skip them?