Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

That happened in AC2 already, with ford conspiring with someone else to give the apple of eden to Hitler.

I love the double-whammy in AC2 that Hitler didn't actually kill himself in the bunker and that it was a body double so that he could escape in secret...

...and then he was immediately ganked by an Assassin the moment he stepped outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Can't forget this gem from a recent Call of Duty blaming American war crimes on Russia:

Urzikistan isn't not-Iraq though, it's not-Syria: the conflict in Modern Warfare is a ripped-from-the-headlines analogue for the Syrian civil war. Where Russia has, maybe, bombed a civilian convoy or two, and possibly done a few other war crimes besides.

The whole "Modern Warfare is whitewashing away American war crimes" theory is dubious anyway, because previous Call of Dutys have taken the ethical position that American war crimes are cool and good actually.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Specifically calling it the Highway of Death and then attributing it to Russia is kind of muddying the waters though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

1stGear posted:

The game also references the Haditha massacre by specifically mentioning that the Russians murdered a bunch of not-Iraqis in the fictional-not-fictional town of Haditha, Urzikstan.

CoD's politics are usually pretty hosed up, but Modern Warfare is exceptionally hosed up in taking a bunch of US war crimes and blaming them on the godless Russkies.

My favourite cod politics was the Cold War one where an evil perfidious KGB guy who may or may not be a defector (I didn’t finish it) stole a cia nuke, and was going to detonate it in a European city and blame it on the Americans!

This would work you see, because the Americans secretly planted nuclear weapons under every major European city to use if the Russians invaded.

Our heroes, ladies and gents!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yakuza 4 kind of ended its four-part final boss rush on an aggravating note because (a) it doesn't finish on Kiryu, and more importantly (b) focusing it on the two most consistently annoying enemy types. After you take out the mob of general mooks, the three high-tier enemies left are two knife dudes (whose main attack consistently knocks you to the ground) and a guy with a gun (whose shots interrupt whatever you're trying to do every five seconds). It's a good ending plot-wise, but it's the kind of fight that feels like a weak uphill slog rather than an awesome high-level brawler kicking rear end.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Tanimura sucks and that's easily the worst boss in the series

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You can tell who's a good character by whether or not they take off their shirt for the final battle

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Crowetron posted:

Tanimura sucks

:emptyquote:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

RBA Starblade posted:

They do have their own alien names (Grunts are "Unggoy", Brutes are "Jiralhanae", etc.) but 1. no one really cares and 2. like you said that makes it way easier on the player.

The prophets obliquely referring to the "Grunt Rebellion" is funnier, too :v:

In Halo 5 everyone, humans included, suddenly uses the alien names for them and its the weirdest experience

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

As someone who's hasn't been really into any FPS but Team Fortress 2 and Metroid Prime I still do not get the appeal of the Halo games.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

christmas boots posted:

I love the double-whammy in AC2 that Hitler didn't actually kill himself in the bunker and that it was a body double so that he could escape in secret...

...and then he was immediately ganked by an Assassin the moment he stepped outside.

This is also the only major thing the Assassins did in WW2.

AC alt history has problems when it gets to 20+th century stuff since they need to be good guys but also can't be the ones with any power.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yakuza 4 kind of ended its four-part final boss rush on an aggravating note because (a) it doesn't finish on Kiryu, and more importantly (b) focusing it on the two most consistently annoying enemy types. After you take out the mob of general mooks, the three high-tier enemies left are two knife dudes (whose main attack consistently knocks you to the ground) and a guy with a gun (whose shots interrupt whatever you're trying to do every five seconds). It's a good ending plot-wise, but it's the kind of fight that feels like a weak uphill slog rather than an awesome high-level brawler kicking rear end.

This is one of the easiest boss fights in the game. Tanimura is almost impossible to hit with melee attacks, his entire shtick is parrying everything coming his way. Once I realized that he could do this (after never using it in the game) the mooks wouldn't stop stumbling over themselves as I knocked every one of their attacks aside.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RareAcumen posted:

As someone who's hasn't been really into any FPS but Team Fortress 2 and Metroid Prime I still do not get the appeal of the Halo games.

you, uh, shoot aliens in space and take sick jumps with weird jeeps. what's not get?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This is also the only major thing the Assassins did in WW2.

AC alt history has problems when it gets to 20+th century stuff since they need to be good guys but also can't be the ones with any power.

It's a centuries long uphill battle against an all-powerful foe but also every game has to be a power fantasy.

And it can never reach a conclusion.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's a centuries long uphill battle against an all-powerful foe but also every game has to be a power fantasy.

Yeah.

It's why the Ripper DLC was one of the more interesting bits of the series because it actually follows up on an Assassin victory and shows it's not all sunshine and roses.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just got Noita on the steam sale and it feels like it's being needless opaque just to dick you over.

I picked a perk with the description "You grow curious additional limbs that fight for you."

Reading that, what do you think it does?

replaces your jump with a wall climb ability

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sally posted:

you, uh, shoot aliens in space and take sick jumps with weird jeeps. what's not get?

I mean what's the point if you're still so fragile that anything beyond a pellet gun will drop you if you don't have a shield? It'd be a different story if you could do anything to make the armor feel worth it. You've got a regenerating shield and that's about it as far as I know. And then 9 games later you can Sprint now as a base feature?

Crysis at least lets you punt cars around. I'd feel different about Halo if you could do anything unique for your character at least. Like I dunno, use an Elite as a human shield, fist fight a Brute, throw a Ghost at a turret or tear a wing off a Banshee and not die from an 80' drop instead of always being able to flip your Jeep or tank over when it ends upside down again.

I think I'm just mad that it's not more like Metal Gear Rising.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

RareAcumen posted:

I think I'm just mad that it's not more like Metal Gear Rising.

An FPS being nothing like an action combat game? I never thought I'd see that weird comparison.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I mean what's the point if you're still so fragile that anything beyond a pellet gun will drop you if you don't have a shield? It'd be a different story if you could do anything to make the armor feel worth it. You've got a regenerating shield and that's about it as far as I know. And then 9 games later you can Sprint now as a base feature?

I haven't played multiplayer Halo since 1 but isn't the series actually known for having a long time to kill? Compared to something like CoD or Counterstrike you're basically invulnerable.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Shiroc posted:

In Halo 5 everyone, humans included, suddenly uses the alien names for them and its the weirdest experience

In-universe that's because it's set like five years after the war ended and humans have been integrating with elites and grunts. Brutes are still considered dicks and prophets disappeared entirely.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

By the the end of the Ezio trilogy the assassins and Ezio has become extremely powerful. Ezio owns several of the most famous landmarks in Italy and is able to send assassins all over the world. By the start of AssCreed 3 the order is reduced to one man living in a cabin in the woods.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Alhazred posted:

By the the end of the Ezio trilogy the assassins and Ezio has become extremely powerful. Ezio owns several of the most famous landmarks in Italy and is able to send assassins all over the world. By the start of AssCreed 3 the order is reduced to one man living in a cabin in the woods.

Presumably Ezio didn't put any plans into place for what happens after he dies so naturally everything fell to pieces.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I haven't played multiplayer Halo since 1 but isn't the series actually known for having a long time to kill? Compared to something like CoD or Counterstrike you're basically invulnerable.

Yeah you've got a significantly longer time to kill than the average modern shooter, but like the power fantasy Halo presents is more in line with Samus who despite having power armor and a bevy of weaponry and tools often has problems with doors and bits of rubble. Master Chief is stronger and tougher than a human but he still has to approach fights intelligently or you're gonna die.

What makes Halo fun, generally, is the relative length of time you have to expose yourself to risk, the grenade/gun/fist dance you master, and that enemies are varied in size, ai, morale and responses to it breaking, and armaments so picking them apart in different configurations and areas is always an engaging treat. Part of the reason why having to constantly find new guns in Halo works is because thats part of the variety; fighting an elite with a squad of grunts with a needler is a completely different engagement than doing so with the battle rifle. By forcing you into new weapons it forces you into new combat approaches and since the enemies have very understandable and well communicated responses you feel smart and good for exploiting them.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Plus the new halo owns because you can grappling hook a banshee and kick an opponent out only to have them grappling hook it back while they fall in a split-second reflex maneuver. Can't even be mad at that, that's some good gameplay

Barudak
May 7, 2007

thecluckmeme posted:

Plus the new halo owns because you can grappling hook a banshee and kick an opponent out only to have them grappling hook it back while they fall in a split-second reflex maneuver. Can't even be mad at that, that's some good gameplay

I posted in the other thread but smushing people under you by repulsoring them into the dirt is one of those bless you dev for thinking "lets not fix this collision problem, lets make it awesome" moments.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd forgotten how much the second town in Dragon Quest Builders absolutely SUCKS. It's just a collection of frustrating status effects all shoved into one level with the most annoying boss in that subseries included for good measure.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Morpheus posted:

This is one of the easiest boss fights in the game. Tanimura is almost impossible to hit with melee attacks, his entire shtick is parrying everything coming his way. Once I realized that he could do this (after never using it in the game) the mooks wouldn't stop stumbling over themselves as I knocked every one of their attacks aside.

I thought I was gonna like him because parrying like crazy is my usual go-to in melee games, but somehow it never clicked in this one. I think part of it is how loose the combat system feels when you're trying to face a particular enemy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Alhazred posted:

TBF that’s only the American branch of the order I think

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CJacobs posted:

I think it's generally accepted to be a coincidence because it's not actually referring to the real event but one they made up that did happen in the game, but man even so one google would have told them the name is already taken

edit: As in like, they're not saying the event was done by the Russians as if the version in the game is meant to represent the real event. It's not. But man it's bad writing. I had to edit it like 3 times to make it make sense

On the other hand, the entire rest of the game depicts the Russians as either slavering monsters, child rapists, or unfeeling terminators

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Americans need to be the enemy in more video games. I can’t even think of the last one where Americans are the main antagonist.

And not crazy Americans, or some rogue unit, like spec ops the line, I mean the normal American military.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yakuza games sound great but I have no idea which one to start with.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

moosecow333 posted:

Americans need to be the enemy in more video games. I can’t even think of the last one where Americans are the main antagonist.

And not crazy Americans, or some rogue unit, like spec ops the line, I mean the normal American military.

I can already hear the Fox News ghouls talking about a disgusting video game that teaches our children to hate the patriotic military.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Just do them in numerical order imo. Yakuza 0 is a great place to start, the only negative being that playing Yakuza Kiwami right after is a bit of a letdown because it's a remake of the original game when everything was more basic.

Well, another slight negative is that Yakuza 0 does some things that reference other games in the series and use its status as a prequel to subvert some expectations, and you'll miss out on those due to not having played the other games. But it's not like it doesn't stand on its own perfectly well

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

Does Half-Life 1 count? They aren't the main antagonists and you're also playing as an American but they are members of the U.S. military under orders from the U.S. government.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Salt and Sanctuary just kinda runs out of gas at the end. The areas go from being huge and complex to literally “walk in zone, fight boss, leave”. Also ledge grabbing is just terrible and doesn’t work very well.

Definitely enjoyed the game overall but the bosses are more of a math problem than an actual challenge. Either you have the stats/buffs to kill the boss or you don’t. Dodging is hinky and enemy attacks have absolutely enormous hitboxes.

They also tried the “tell the game’s story through item descriptions” thing Fromsoft games do but the story is pretty straightforward snd just not that interesting.

The artwork and atmosphere are stellar though. I’ll definitely pick up the second one when it comes out next year.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Yakuza games sound great but I have no idea which one to start with.

Start with 0, it's a great prequel that doesn't require any knowledge of the series and is new enough that its fighting system is super solid. If that grabs you, you can just keep going through Kiwami 1&2 (the enhanced remakes of the originals) and then go in order for the rest. They're all on GamePass btw, which I didn't know until getting five games in :rip:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

I can already hear the Fox News ghouls talking about a disgusting video game that teaches our children to hate the patriotic military.

The closest we've got is Spec Ops: The Line. Does the game industry have the same rules as Hollywood where in order to use any imagery or reference to the US military, it has to be approved by the pentagon?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

thecluckmeme posted:

The closest we've got is Spec Ops: The Line. Does the game industry have the same rules as Hollywood where in order to use any imagery or reference to the US military, it has to be approved by the pentagon?

Technically movies don't have to get military approval but if they do the military lets them use poo poo for free, which is why everybody does it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

With American stuff it's usually some rouge general or something so that they don't have to making any difficult implications

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
TLOU2 combat is extremely except when an enemy is on a higher level than you like on a crate. There's no combat or stealth kill animation for that so you can just swing your axe ineffectualll and die.

It's just a weird oversight in a game with an insane number of unique animations. I'm pretty sure the Tomb Raider reboot even had that.