Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

DesertIslandHermit posted:

lmao if this is what finally sets off the country to panic about climate change because no ski trips

Actually it won't because right-wing media will say 'We're coming out of an ice age of thousands of years ago so that's how it is'

it’ll be because the rivers the southwest depend on won’t get yearly recharge from melting snow pack over summer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DesertIslandHermit posted:

lmao if this is what finally sets off the country to panic about climate change because no ski trips

Actually it won't because right-wing media will say 'We're coming out of an ice age of thousands of years ago so that's how it is'

The liberals are just waiting for permission to very somberly and regrettably and Adultishly join the chuds on the "just kill loving everyone who isnt a white westerner and be done with it" platform so I wouldn't be too excited for that alarm clock to ring

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tabletops posted:

it’ll be because the rivers the southwest depend on won’t get yearly recharge from melting snow pack over summer

Everyone from Texas and California have assured me they are strong independent states that don't need a federal government

I'll be in Hunter Bidens Neo New England Authority protecting our climate resistant* peanuts

*the peanuts died

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

The Oldest Man posted:

The liberals are just waiting for permission to very somberly and regrettably and Adultishly join the chuds on the "just kill loving everyone who isnt a white westerner and be done with it" platform so I wouldn't be too excited for that alarm clock to ring

Ya if you haven't figured out by now that this was their game plan all along lol lmao

I wish I had a screenshot of that post where someone funnier than I said the future was President AOC opting for laser equipped automated border murder turrets because they're more environmentally friendly than the ones that use normal bullets.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

EvilJoven posted:

Ya if you haven't figured out by now that this was their game plan all along lol lmao

I wish I had a screenshot of that post where someone funnier than I said the future was President AOC opting for laser equipped automated border murder turrets because they're more environmentally friendly than the ones that use normal bullets.

We all know what western countries do when they need resources from non-western countries. If the "resources" in question are water and food, you can plan on poo poo getting cranked up to 11.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Australia has a piss crisis, who should we call?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-03/diesel-crisis-adblue-shortage-supply-china/100673482

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

EvilJoven posted:

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I have a feeling when 20,000,000 people die to a second dustbowl D&D will still be micro-analyzing ways to get speaking time at city council meetings while President AOC oversees the installation of laser border turrets because the cheaper bullet turrets republicans wanted are more harmful to the environment.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I thought I recognised that.

Don't you know recycling doesn't make a difference?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Cyborg Joe Manchin refused to pass the laser turret funding bill so the compromise was green bullets that plant an average of 2,000 seeds per migrant

The bullets are made of coal

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Fame Douglas posted:

Do you ever do anything but moan about "the atheists"? Sorry your religious feelings were hurt.

Oh my god shut up

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Splifyphus's only crimes were having bad opinions about comedy and reading Hegel.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

My county/city/whatever banned "single use" plastic bags so now every place stocks these ultra-T H I C C bags that lmao if more than 10% of anybody actually reuses more than once. Do any of them hand out paper bags? Nooooope.

I hope I'm buried in a plastic sarcophagus.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
religion can go to hell imo

sorry if this offends people though. i dont say it to be rude

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Oh no all the gasoline will be unsafe for the environment if we don't add pee to it!! Environmentally damaging gas is unacceptable!!!

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The Wisest Moron posted:

By the time you are buried we might be digging in plastic soil.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

religion can go to hell imo

sorry if this offends people though. i dont say it to be rude

Nah that's cool. The New Atheists just turned into/out to be racist assholes that furthered the propaganda of empire. Sam Harris in particular is a loving goblin.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

nomad2020 posted:

By the time you are buried we might be digging in plastic soil.

I am genuinely really curious what the dissemination of microplastics will look like in a millenia or two. Will it just totally snuff out life? Even kill off scavengers that would otherwise aid in the decomposition of bodies? Or the cool and imo the optimistic take is that they became a primary part of a branch in the evolutionary tree? That'd be neat :smith:

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

The Wisest Moron posted:

My county/city/whatever banned "single use" plastic bags so now every place stocks these ultra-T H I C C bags that lmao if more than 10% of anybody actually reuses more than once. Do any of them hand out paper bags? Nooooope.

I remember when the narrative was plastic bags were better for the environment than paper

Personally I load my groceries into a backpack or duffel bag. Get a lot of weird looks for it too lol

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

The Wisest Moron posted:

I am genuinely really curious what the dissemination of microplastics will look like in a millenia or two. Will it just totally snuff out life? Even kill off scavengers that would otherwise aid in the decomposition of bodies? Or the cool and imo the optimistic take is that they became a primary part of a branch in the evolutionary tree? That'd be neat :smith:

no probably not. plastic has a lot of terrible health implications but it doesn’t seem to prevent procreation at least enough to kill off life.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

The Wisest Moron posted:

Nah that's cool. The New Atheists just turned into/out to be racist assholes that furthered the propaganda of empire. Sam Harris in particular is a loving goblin.

i hate that guy

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Blockade posted:

I remember when the narrative was plastic bags were better for the environment than paper

Personally I load my groceries into a backpack or duffel bag. Get a lot of weird looks for it too lol

Yeah I really need to get into the habit of remembering my bags. I got one to use for it too real recently. I need to tattoo it on my hand or something

Tabletops posted:

no probably not. plastic has a lot of terrible health implications but it doesn’t seem to prevent procreation at least enough to kill off life.

Option 2 it is then! :stoked:

:cheers: to that

Morbus
May 18, 2004

The Wisest Moron posted:

bad opinions and reading Hegel.

many such cases

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rime posted:

I posted at length in the previous thread when I was at Mesa Verde, and the extent to which understanding what happened there and that it was happening again cracked my brain, back in June.

LOL'in at everyone in the four corners region, for sure.
Mesa Verde is cool to visit. but yeah what generally would happen when resources necessary for survival would dry up is that people would disseminate and leave for other pastures. That works when there are other pastures to leave to and relatively small populations. now we've consumed all said land, filled it to the brim, and modern society says no, that's unacceptable. in what would be entirely uninhabitable states now and even not that long ago (az, nv, nm, lots of ca, etc) we did major water projects to keep that going packing people into tracthouses and promise of a new frontier (for cheap!! what a steal). now those aren't likely to work anymore and then ????

personally, we should stick a giant continent-spanning straw in the great lakes and drain 'em out into the colorado river basin

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

The Wisest Moron posted:

Splifyphus's only crimes were having bad opinions about comedy and reading Hegel.

also having a real incongruous username/posting vibe imo

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Blockade posted:

This is so infuriating. People really believe their consumption of loving paper matters. How was the brainwashing campaign this successful? Even cigarettes couldn't manage it and they were literally changing your brain chemistry to make it impossible for you to stop using their products.

Blockade posted:

I do this too!!!! Every time we go to the grocery store we have to tell them not to put poo poo in bags. It's miles outside the zeitgeist. Most people can't even be bothered to remember bringing their Xtra-Thicc "reusable" plastic bags.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Egg Moron posted:

Itd be bad rear end if Jesus came back and punished the poo poo out of the wicked

A literal hail mary play

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Oooh .... Nickel, Barium, Plumbum, Mercury, Antimony and Arsenic ... C-c-c-c-cadmiummm!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Tabletops posted:

Yeah it only really hurts tiny stuff we don't need like plankton

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Today I remembered how when I was a kid, my mum would make us all cut any plastic rings before putting them in the recycling, so they wouldn't end up strangling animals or whatever.
Which is cool, except we were obviously just completely accepting that this plastic going to be "recycled" was definitely just gonna end up in the ocean.

Lol :smith:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This is so infuriating. People really believe their consumption of loving paper matters. How was the brainwashing campaign this successful? Even cigarettes couldn't manage it and they were literally changing your brain chemistry to make it impossible for you to stop using their products.

I do this too!!!! Every time we go to the grocery store we have to tell them not to put poo poo in bags. It's miles outside the zeitgeist. Most people can't even be bothered to remember bringing their Xtra-Thicc "reusable" plastic bags.

It's because people are cowed into "not looking like a thief"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Today I remembered how when I was a kid, my mum would make us all cut any plastic rings before putting them in the recycling, so they wouldn't end up strangling animals or whatever.
Which is cool, except we were obviously just completely accepting that this plastic going to be "recycled" was definitely just gonna end up in the ocean.

Lol :smith:

I still do it on the rare case I buy beer in that arrangement. I don't know why at this point though

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
you do it so you can hear the grind of metal against metal, snip snip snip, modern samurai

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Blockade posted:

Where was that the "narrative"? On SA, where people wanted to make themselves feel better about their consumer choices?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fame Douglas posted:

Where was that the "narrative"? On SA, where people wanted to make themselves feel better about their consumer choices?
it was extremely common in the 90s all around lite boomers/genx before brains rotted

mostly died out by early 2000s though

i have a suspicion that it was largely just corporate funded because it was a fractional cost cheaper for stores and good for petrochem companies. ala how greenpeace et al were largely useful astroturfed rubes into being anti-nuclear in the 60s/70s and oops, turns out they were all largely funded by exxon and co.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Tabletops posted:

do what thing

[redacted]

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh4G1Gjv7bA

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah in the 90s there were commercials on TV all the time about how great plastic was for everything and there was a push to eliminate paper bags in some stores because those kill trees.

Planting trees always seemed to be the solution back then too, any time there was a heat wave or big storm some boomer would demand people plant more trees.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 14:17 on Dec 4, 2021

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Thanks to whoever posted about that daylight drive solar stuff. I have been reading up on it and. Meeting with a neighbor tonight to discuss deploying a DC direct drive setup in a shared workspace we have.

That’s awesome- what are you thinking of running with it? A shared workspace sounds like an ideal application. I’d love to hear more, and would be happy to answer technical questions if you have any.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The new poly panels and lipo batteries are making solar really tempting nowadays, if you're handy you can build a pretty massive system for $2k-3k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLgGGB_McW0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/amp/ncna1285341

“Silent Night” is set in a near future in which the earth has experienced massive environmental collapse. Poisonous storms sweep the landscape, and everyone caught in them dies in hideous agony. The British government has issued euthanasia pills to (almost) everyone so they can die with less pain.

But it's a dark comedy! :v: