Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Like Chav but with Orvs instead of Av. Chorvs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the titular heroine chorvs, as the last chorvian, has to use her state-of-the-art combat spaceship the superchorv to defeat the alien empire which destroyed her home planet of chorv

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

the titular heroine chorvs, as the last chorvian, has to use her state-of-the-art combat spaceship the superchorv to defeat the alien empire which destroyed her home planet of chorv

she is the chorvsen one

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Xanderkish posted:

Now how are you guys pronouncing chorvs? I know what the word is supposed to be, but every time I read it, I pronounce it with a soft ch like "Churro", so "choorvs".

Like Chonk but Chorvs because it's funnier.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Maenad posted:

How would you describe Titan Quest? How does know if they'd enjoy, it short of actually trying it (assuming minimal Diablo/-like experience)?
I'm probably the wrong person to ask, since I only ever played the original release way back in the day and I'm not sure how much this new version changes. But from what I remember, it probably still has the prettiest world in any ARPG and the story has you globetrotting from ancient Greece to Egypt to China. Unfortunately I always felt like the combat was kind of limp, in part due to its "T" rating, and god drat was it long. And that's without the original expansion and all this new DLC! I did get big into its spiritual successor, Grim Dawn tho.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I think the best thing about the Chorvs review is that the feminist music he complains about literally sounds like it could have come from Halo.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I don't think that guy actually played the game

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Maenad posted:

How would you describe Titan Quest? How does know if they'd enjoy, it short of actually trying it (assuming minimal Diablo/-like experience)?

It’s a Diablo-like through various real world mythologies where you can combine two of the “classes” to create lots of fun combos. I haven’t played the new THQ expansions, but the original game and its expansion were the only thing in the genre I ever really though eclipsed Diablo 2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hay, random question, but is DMCV the last Character Action Game (CAG) of any note that's come out recently?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordja posted:

Hay, random question, but is DMCV the last Character Action Game (CAG) of any note that's come out recently?

Depends on if you count ultrakill.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Or Sekiro

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

God of War kind of counts but it doesn’t have combo meters or anything like that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Acerbatus posted:

Depends on if you count ultrakill.

No and no.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mordja posted:

the ports of the 15 year old ninja gaiden xbox games came out if that counts (to me it doesn’t they’re 15 years old)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mordja posted:

No More Heroes 3 isn't quite as technical but I'd put it in the genre. Switch exclusive though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Archvale is pretty delightful now that I've put a couple hours into it. Had no idea it was by the creators of Realm of the Mad God but now that I've played a while it makes perfect sense. Think something like an old school Zelda game with twin-stick shooter controls and a more of a focus on combat. The variety of weapons and equipment is great and I've constantly been finding new stuff I wanna switch to, and after the first zone exploration opens up a lot and I've had fun getting myself way over my head in areas I'm clearly underequipped for. It's on Gamepass and I've found it to be a very nice surprise.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Anyone played any of that Icarus: First Cohort? Reviews are saying it has terrible performance on anything but a 3080 while others are saying it's fine, other saying it runs fine but very ugly (meaning the screenshots must be fake I guess?) and just generally all over the place.

I'm on a 1080 gtx with no upgrade possible at this point.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Hwurmp posted:

that isn't an avatar, it's a selfie

This is my Microsoft and Steam accounts’ avatar. I’m very comfortable in my hideous body.

(As an aside, by any chance is this art from a goon? I’ve had it for years now on my phone, and was thinking of making it a new avatar here, but if it was Goon I wanted to toss em a heads up beforehand!)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a CHORVS thread yet?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there a CHORVS thread yet?

Yes, and we’re soaking in it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I went ahead and actually played that CHODVS demo instead of tediously clowning on some Steam nobody, and it seems OK but also very basic and arcadey. And I'm someone who likes my Freelancers and Everspaces just fine, and I'm not always looking for a sim, but you can't even target enemy ships, there's no range indicators, you can't roll or strafe and I generally felt like I never had the control I sought. I did start using the drift mode more, near the end of the trial, and that does seem like it could lend itself to some cool maneuvers, and works almost exactly like the modded-in Freespace 2 glide, if anyone's familiar. Ship customization also seems limited. You'll always be flying the same craft and I'm not sure there are even any visual differences in the hull upgrades. It looks like there are only three different weapons with tiered variants for each and a pretty linear upgrade path. Each gun is pretty much designed to do one thing: lasers are good against shields, gattling guns are good against hull, missiles are good against bigger ships, weakpoints, and turrets. You have unlimited ammo for all of them. The game is generically pretty but bears that typical mid-tier UE4 engine stink, and while the player ship looks cool & sleek, neither the enemy nor the ally design is at all notable. You don't get to go to any of the weird, metaphysical places in the demo, but from trailers it looks extremely similar to Control.

On the one hand, it's cool that a space shooter came out, but on the other it's not a very exciting one and Halo Infinite releases in less than a week. I will tell myself that, "maybe I'll pick it up on a sale!" but I probably won't and will just wait for Everspace 2.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

"Space opera" is a science-fiction genre that emphasizes futuristic and/or spaceship combat.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Fights in tight spaces is pretty fun, a mix of slay the spire and into the breach, but it feels like it's missing something to make it great. Can't put my finger on it.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

There was a cel shaded looking indie first person shooter rogue-lite where you're an animal I was gonna buy, it's early access and had it's own thread. Had elements you could mix to do stuff, like poison. Can't find the thread am sad :( What's the game?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

vaginite posted:

There was a cel shaded looking indie first person shooter rogue-lite where you're an animal I was gonna buy, it's early access and had it's own thread. Had elements you could mix to do stuff, like poison. Can't find the thread am sad :( What's the game?

Was it Gunfire Reborn?

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

That's it! Thank you!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This free to play Dragon Dogfighting game Century: Age of Ashes is almost cool, but it has an incredibly fast TTK with almost no way to mitigate it and no mobility skills - then they made a designated healer-type class that has a skill that both lets you move near-instantly across the entire map and places a huge, non-expiring shield on both you and the ally you teleported to. This makes the designated "support"/"healer" type class the best class in every single category, including offense because they have the exact same offensive tools available as everyone else plus an extra one that no one else gets (an ability that deals damage to targets behind them), and objective running because they can pick up the flag analog and then literally just teleport back to where you cap it while becoming invincible. Then they made a dumb lovely class called "Phantom" that has abilities that are entirely useless in a dragon dogfighting game like setting traps and planting mines on the ground (that will never deal damage because everyone is flying in the air) except he has a ~badass~ sith mask, and essentially the victor of the game boils down to whichever team has fewer of the kind of players who can't resist picking the ~mysterious rogue in a mask~ over the g-g-g-girl who heals.

They made the healer absurdly overpowered in every single conceivable way for once but 40-50% of the players still pick the useless rogue in a mask instead :v:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 4, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wartales is extremely fun so far, really nails that plodding around being delighted by getting slightly better rags gritty fantasy feel, along with a really enjoyable power creep. Worth a look if you liked battle brothers at all.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mordja posted:

Jesus, there's another new Titan Quest expansion out. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1804460/Titan_Quest_Eternal_Embers/

A completely unnanounced expansion released just like that, what the heck THQNordic.

Do we have a relevant thread for Titan Quest btw?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

sebmojo posted:

Wartales is extremely fun so far, really nails that plodding around being delighted by getting slightly better rags gritty fantasy feel, along with a really enjoyable power creep. Worth a look if you liked battle brothers at all.

I am enjoying this game but it really needs a way to speed things up (unless there is one and I missed it?). I did a Rat Infestation contract which involves killing a "Broodmother" that spawns 6 rat units per turn until it dies. Killing the Broodmother thankfully ends the battle, but in the meantime you get to sit there through dozens of slow-moving turns for little rats that deal one damage to you

And a speed up on the world map option would be nice too :ohdear:

Overall the combat doesn't feel as deep as Battle Brothers (yet?) but there's a whole lot more going on in the overland and world map and it's much heavier on the uhh, roleplaying aspects I guess? It has been quite fun to explore and I love the little point-and-click vignettes used for buildings and NPC interactions.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 4, 2021

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Kibayasu posted:

God of War kind of counts but it doesn’t have combo meters or anything like that.

God of War has combo meter and combos and everything there is to that genre, of which God of War is the best. Unfortunately not on PC.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Character action games are like immersive sims. We need to praise and cherish each and every one because there are only like 10 in total.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

Mordja posted:

So I went ahead and actually played that CHODVS demo instead of tediously clowning on some Steam nobody, and it seems OK but also very basic and arcadey. And I'm someone who likes my Freelancers and Everspaces just fine, and I'm not always looking for a sim, but you can't even target enemy ships, there's no range indicators, you can't roll or strafe and I generally felt like I never had the control I sought. I did start using the drift mode more, near the end of the trial, and that does seem like it could lend itself to some cool maneuvers, and works almost exactly like the modded-in Freespace 2 glide, if anyone's familiar. Ship customization also seems limited. You'll always be flying the same craft and I'm not sure there are even any visual differences in the hull upgrades. It looks like there are only three different weapons with tiered variants for each and a pretty linear upgrade path. Each gun is pretty much designed to do one thing: lasers are good against shields, gattling guns are good against hull, missiles are good against bigger ships, weakpoints, and turrets. You have unlimited ammo for all of them. The game is generically pretty but bears that typical mid-tier UE4 engine stink, and while the player ship looks cool & sleek, neither the enemy nor the ally design is at all notable. You don't get to go to any of the weird, metaphysical places in the demo, but from trailers it looks extremely similar to Control.

On the one hand, it's cool that a space shooter came out, but on the other it's not a very exciting one and Halo Infinite releases in less than a week. I will tell myself that, "maybe I'll pick it up on a sale!" but I probably won't and will just wait for Everspace 2.

Yep I installed the demo last night and had a similar experience.

The demo is really badly done. It starts with highlights reel of someone else playing the tutorial.. wtf. It gives some input instructions on the controller and others on the keyboard (though I believe the 360 controller can do it all).

Then dumped into a mission and immediately put up against tough shielded enemies that require the missile launcher to dispatch. Followed by an attack against lots of small fughters, shielded enemies and two frigates. I was repeatedly slaughtered!

The demo is constantly interrupted by the camera panning away to show the enemies, which is skippable but needs a long button hold and is annoying, especially dying and having to do this over and over.

I can see it getting better with a proper introduction and famiarity with the controls. But coming from a background of X-Wing and Freespace, it feels weird and has that modern game feeling of playing itself and just looking for certain inputs at the correct time, e.g. an enemy laser locks on and you have to hit the strafe button just before it fires, then you're guaranteed a dodge - a bit like a parry in other games. You press another button to teleport in behind a target.

Didn't enjoy it but probably because I was expecting something else, coupled with the poor demo introduction. Will have to give it another go and see if I can get used to the controls.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Maenad posted:

It's a really solid ARPG. Adding to what others have said, the Greek mythology setting is pretty novel in a genre where everything else is grim fantasy.

Downsides: It has the old-school really low drop rates of items like in Diablo 2. If you're a theory-crafting/build designing nerd like me, there's a utility (TQStash, I think?) that lets you store and create items so you can experiment with cool builds and abilities without grinding for 500 hours.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cross-posting for cvriovs folks:

So I've made it about 5.5 hovrs into CHORVS and I'm beginning to think some reviewers might have really missed the mark on this one, it's a pretty cool game. The main standouts so far have been the visuals and sound design. Even in the first two zones you'll see some awesome skyboxes and environments accompanied by an appropriately crunchy synth soundtrack. The combat is mostly the kind of small craft dogfighting you'd see in a Freelancer clone, although now I'm facing up against capitol ships that you have to weaken and destroy from within, which has been pretty fun. I went in thinking it looked a lot like a modern version of Rogue Squadron but it's actually much more similar to the Rebel Galaxy series, wherein you navigate a hub-based world with side missions on a mostly 2D plane. I do like the combat a whole lot better in this game, however. The story has been super boilerplate "former big baddie of the Evil Galactic Empire joins the rebel cause" but it's you know fine, whatever, and I'm not really seeing some of the complaints I've read about it being annoying or too drawn out. I actually kind of like the banter between Nara, her intrusive thought ASMR, and her sassy psychic ship.

My biggest complaint so far is that some of the beginning sidequests are frustrating with the starter ship, especially that stupid race, so I would advise people to advance the main story until they at least get the Drift and Blink powers. Also the quest flags sometimes do this frustrating thing where if you're on a sidequest and fly near a main story mission, it will automatically prioritize the main story mission and suspend the one you're working on until it's finished. I can see the combat becoming rather samey toward the end and I'm really kinda getting too good for Normal, but for now I'm enjoying the variety. Oh, and a little tip for Drift: My first instinct was to let go of Boost, but it doesn't really do anything unless you're holding down BOTH LB/LT, which can feel awkward until you get used to it.

Chorus is definitely a $40 game, you can feel where it maybe wanted to be a Control or Returnal but didn't quite have the budget, but I'd say it's been fun and I'm looking forward to playing more of it!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Does anyone have any thoughts on Valfaris? It's part of Fanatical's Platinum Bundle where you choose a minimum of two games to buy, which has other good games that include Tangledeep, a couple of Shantae games, and the game I'm eyeing, Murder By Numbers.

EDIT: vv Thanks Oxxidation for the review, I'll pick it up!

Artelier fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 4, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Artelier posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Valfaris? It's part of Fanatical's Platinum Bundle where you choose a minimum of two games to buy, which has other good games that include Tangledeep, a couple of Shantae games, and the game I'm eyeing, Murder By Numbers.

made a post on it a couple weeks ago

Oxxidation posted:

bought Valfaris for :tenbux: on the retro sale and completed it in two sittings

it bills itself as a “heavy metal shooter” and aesthetically that’s definitely true, but the gunplay actually isn’t too hectic compared to some other side scrolling shooters. it does have a neat system where checkpoints can only be triggered by depositing tokens at altars - except those tokens also increase your max health/special ammo when stocked, and you can trade them in for weapon upgrade points at the end of a stage, so you’re constantly asking yourself how far you can go without another checkpoint

solid overall, definitely worth the sale price

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Regarde Aduck posted:

Anyone played any of that Icarus: First Cohort? Reviews are saying it has terrible performance on anything but a 3080 while others are saying it's fine, other saying it runs fine but very ugly (meaning the screenshots must be fake I guess?) and just generally all over the place.

I'm on a 1080 gtx with no upgrade possible at this point.

I’m on a 3070 and it runs ok (80ish FPS on medium-high at 3440x1440). Though it’s dark as gently caress in the forests unless you have RTX on and that’s a decent performance hit of course.

It’s basically just ARK though so if you’ve played that or one of the other hundred first person survival games you’ve probably played Icarus though.

I’d throw out a lukewarm recommendation at like half price for Icarus based on what I’ve played. I came in with no expectations and it’s not horrible but it’s not fantastic either.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, I also took the plunge on Chorvs and am having a good time with it. It doesn't seem super deep mechanically speaking as far as space sims go (e.g. just one ship type and three weapon types), but it's quite well designed around what it does have and the psychic powers look like they'll be enough to keep it interesting. So far the side quests are actually fairly involved and quite interesting. And as people already mentioned, the areas are super pretty and pretty dense with stuff going on.

One particular thing I wanna note is the writing. It can come off as a little over-dramatic at times. You get to hear the protagonist's internal monologue, and just about any time anything happens she'll have some morose and/or melancholic comment on it. Personally I find it pretty endearing because it's just so committed to the bit even when it doesn't always stick the landing, but it might be something to be aware of if you have a low tolerance for that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Titan Quest could become the perfect podcast game for you, since most of the time you'll be blazing through monsters.