Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

boho posted:

Anybody playing Hardcore tomorrow? I was spoiled by Hardcore (first time playing DDO was last hardcore season and regular servers can't live up to it) but now that it's back I'm kinda tempted to knock out the achievements again. I got level 20 and 5k favor last time after 5 or so deaths as a typical Barbarian - if I decide to play this again I'm sorta tempted to try something that can trap so it's not completely ungabunga again.

I needed to tell someone this because normally I'd tell my brother but his dog just died and bombing him with inane crap out of nowhere as usual would be kinda poorly timed.

Anyway this is my first post in I think close to a decade hi hello

Yep! I'll be going for both 5K and the reaper rewards. I'm going to setup an ingame channel for goons to join once hardcore comes up tomorrow so we can commiserate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
I'm counting the hours. Was planning to do a FvSquisitive trapper with a couple other people. Definitely want those footprints, and I wouldn't mind the reaper pet either.

I feel like putting together a solo trapper build that works better than barbarian might be tough for hardcore if you don't have some of the universal trees up front, favored soul, druid, artificer or alchemist. Maybe an ek+pm wizard. I'm not super versed in these types of builds, but rog2/bar18 kind of stuff (exact level distribution idk, might need more non-barb for trap skills) seems to be semi popular. If you're willing to do practice runs or watch videos to memorize trap locations, with blood tribute I think you can still go ddo point positive using gold seal rogues for the relatively few places you really need a trapper if no player is around in a 5k favor run.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm really enjoying having a third life with a bunch of gear planned out and hope the main servers don't get too depopulated in hardcore :ohdear:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Suzera posted:

I'm counting the hours. Was planning to do a FvSquisitive trapper with a couple other people. Definitely want those footprints, and I wouldn't mind the reaper pet either.

I feel like putting together a solo trapper build that works better than barbarian might be tough for hardcore if you don't have some of the universal trees up front, favored soul, druid, artificer or alchemist. Maybe an ek+pm wizard. I'm not super versed in these types of builds, but rog2/bar18 kind of stuff (exact level distribution idk, might need more non-barb for trap skills) seems to be semi popular. If you're willing to do practice runs or watch videos to memorize trap locations, with blood tribute I think you can still go ddo point positive using gold seal rogues for the relatively few places you really need a trapper if no player is around in a 5k favor run.

I soloed some nasty trap dungeons that people refused to do near the end of last season as a pure Barb, so it's certainly doable. It's just obnoxious that so much favor is stuck around level 10-12 (iirc?) which is also right before traps go from instantly lethal to tankable.

I also want the footsteps which is strange because the chance I'll play this game outside of hardcore is close to zero.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

If you don't have any of the special preorder bonus stuff from early expansions for skill tomes for every character, your best bet for a soloing 5k favor trapper (has to trap at-level some of the time) is probably one of these in order from easiest to play/build/gear (esp wrt keeping up with skill gear) to hardest:

-1-2 art or 2rog/18-17wiz ek+pm. I like evasion, and especially if you want to trap in vault of night and a few other quests you nearly need it and it's generally useful for survival, so I'd suggest the 2 rogue.
-Buy artificer in ddo store, take it as a full int caster to 20. Spam SLAs to victory, with maybe some tactical detonation or blade barrier mixed in.
-Spellsinger Bard with a rogue or artificer level or two. May be significantly worse without 32 point build.
-Bar/rog. You'll probably have to sacrifice extra levels or stats to keep skills up.
-BarBEARian with a rogue level or two if you have druid access. Spot is a druid class skill which helps with points. Also the most complicated build on this list, and you'll maybe have to parcel out the class levels at specific points to max skill points so you'll be delayed in your combat power coming together until mid heroic or sacrifice something for the remainder of the levels. Probably can't do this well without a 32 point build or memorizing all trap locations.
-FvS caster trapper and FvSquisitive runs on kind of thin margins for search and disable for many levels when you aren't overlevel if you aren't stuffed with tomes or sacrifice a lot of wisdom. Some of those are also before you get hit points (unlike blood tribute which is easier to pick up early on the barb builds). 32 point build even more helpful here and near mandatory for FvSquisitive. Spot is wisdom based though, so you'll at least know a trap is there without memorizing. Find traps spell really helps narrow the gap on intelligence later, so you can at least find boxes even if they might explode. FvS caster is the hardest one in this list to play well solo imo with the caster level loss and way more buttons and begins to bloom much later. FvSquisitive requires completing sharn (which you won't do until closer to completion) or buying it from ddo store/xpac. Favored soul itself also requires a prior character with 2500 favor on the server or ddo store purchase.

Cleric I feel is out for soloing due to hurting more for sp to clear than fvs with the missing caster levels. Also missing reflex save as strong save vs fvs. If you don't want to spend for FvS, doing an animal domain cleric is somewhat similar, but not nearly as strong in at least early heroics and post-12.

Sorc might work with the same margin caveats as fvs plus your spot will have much less reach due to it being wis based (meaning you're likely to step in traps more unless you memorize), and there's not the same stat synergy as with wizard. And you'll have way less hp.

You could do a thief acrobat or mechanic rogue, but it's not as durable as the builds in the first list.

Paladin/rog could potentially be made to work with 32 points, but without trying to build it out it seems like it will probably have sacrifices I'm not sure are worth it vs the builds in the first list. Especially without Feydark Illusionist.

boho posted:

I soloed some nasty trap dungeons that people refused to do near the end of last season as a pure Barb, so it's certainly doable. It's just obnoxious that so much favor is stuck around level 10-12 (iirc?) which is also right before traps go from instantly lethal to tankable.

I also want the footsteps which is strange because the chance I'll play this game outside of hardcore is close to zero.
Just wear them every hardcore! Also unless I've been hallucinating this whole time, traps are also affected by dungeon scaling and do less damage when you're solo like monsters do. Something to keep in mind for next time.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 1, 2021

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

I forgot to put alchemist with 1 artificer level in the list. It's probably comparable to 20 artificer, but with less hp, does have evasion in alchemist so you can get the 18 core before level 20 without sacrificing it, better saves, more immunity flexible but less recastable slas, and the self heals for alchemist are more finicky than casting repair on yourself. Notably, if you have vip you can make an alchemist unlike artificer which requires a store purchase or 120 cannith favor.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 1, 2021

Jorgos Nuuh
Dec 28, 2004
Pröööööt
Got a guild for something hardcore? And how to join it?

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Pick one of the people dropping money on the guild ship stuff so you can get the buffs. Last season I think there were at least 3, and I joined Strimtom's. There was a channel you joined to ask for invites to the guild from, though I dunno what the invite channel is going to be called this time yet. Death Smile will probably also have one again, but I think you have to do an actual application on the forums or something and they control their slots more. There was at least one more guild that was pretty big, but I don't remember the name.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Suzera and I will be joining strimtom's guild again. I'll be an officer so I can invite people. Here is how to join:

Guild Name: Air Bud Cinematic Universe
How to join: type /joinchannel ABCU into the chat box, and then use /1 to type in that user channel to ask for an invite.

If you want to chat with goons, you should do the following:
/joinchannel goons
Then use /2 (assuming this was the second joinchannel you did) to talk.

Make sure "Userchat1" and "Userchat2" show up in your chat box (rightclick the chat tab)

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 1, 2021

Osci
Oct 11, 2016
For those who have played hardcore before, how populated is it after a few weeks? Is it similar to PoE where the population craters after the first few?
I do want to try it out, but I probably need to start it later in december.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Osci posted:

For those who have played hardcore before, how populated is it after a few weeks? Is it similar to PoE where the population craters after the first few?

It is typically the most populated server until the league ends

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Osci posted:

Based on my memory of charts, the first week sees a lot of people leave due to “gently caress hardcore” or pros rushing through. It’s a slow taper past that, and by the last two weeks it’s quiet.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Lotta info in these posts, but if a person were to have almost no context but love DND and hardcore self-punishing gameplay -- what would be the best thing to see a lot of progress on this server? The first entry on the list or something different?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Sintor posted:

Lotta info in these posts, but if a person were to have almost no context but love DND and hardcore self-punishing gameplay -- what would be the best thing to see a lot of progress on this server? The first entry on the list or something different?

Barbarian has an extremely strong defensive cooldown (blood tribute) that makes it really hard to die with proper management if you play on elite or easier. That would be my suggestion.

You will still die if this is your first time playing the game, but its very learnable.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Sintor posted:

I did it with a pure Dwarf Barbarian. Followed Strimtom's guide for it and so should you.

One thing that's weird is UMD is mission-critical in DDO (you need Shield up at all times) so you'll wind up investing more than you'd usually do in other games - going so far as to invest in INT at creation just to facilitate that.

You almost never see your death coming in Hardcore, so survival is largely about checking boxes on immunities and avoiding traps. If there are any especially lethal season mechanics (like Wildmagic: Fear of Death from a previous season, or the stacking acid DoT from Mimics) you need to always have a stock of the counter to that and pay close attention.

Most people playing hardcore have already memorized the missions (or close enough). You are at a disadvantage as a result. You can either choose to embrace that disadvantage and accept deaths as you learn (which is fine if you're just going for level 20, which is overall pretty quick and lower stress), but if you're going for 5000 Favor - which might be an investment of dozens of hours before even seeing 15 - I highly suggest evening the playing field via the wiki. Keep a map to the mission you're doing open on the wiki so you know where the traps are, since somewhere around 50-75% of missions have lethal traps in them. Do your homework on the mission you're going to do on the wiki. It'll warn you of gotcha encounters and mechanics, what resistances to bring, what mobs you'll encounter, etc. More than just traps can instantly kill you - failing a stat check in an object interaction might cause instant death, like a totally expected outcome of trying and failing to snap a rod of disintegration in half with your brute strength. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

boho fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 1, 2021

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Getting to level 20 and getting the reward for that should be your first goal if you are new to the game. Even if you want a different reward, getting to 20 gives you at lot of ancillary benefits and helps you get a feel for the game with only 15-20 hours invested.

Osci
Oct 11, 2016

Lorem ipsum posted:

It is typically the most populated server until the league ends

boho posted:

Based on my memory of charts, the first week sees a lot of people leave due to “gently caress hardcore” or pros rushing through. It’s a slow taper past that, and by the last two weeks it’s quiet.

Thanks. I'll probably try to play a bit during the rush, and then resub and go for the bigger grind during the holidays.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
Excellent, thanks for the advice folks. As far as dying, I definitely expect it, I'm not claiming to be the uber-gamer -- I just enjoy the tension of hardcore modes. I got the adventure codes entered, anything worth throwing a few coins at to make life easier or does it not apply to hardcore characters?

Edit: Looks like Feywild is good to get expansion wise and the three 99 point purchases -- is VIP worth it for playing on Hardcore?

Sintor fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 1, 2021

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Sintor posted:

Excellent, thanks for the advice folks. As far as dying, I definitely expect it, I'm not claiming to be the uber-gamer -- I just enjoy the tension of hardcore modes. I got the adventure codes entered, anything worth throwing a few coins at to make life easier or does it not apply to hardcore characters?

Edit: Looks like Feywild is good to get expansion wise and the three 99 point purchases -- is VIP worth it for playing on Hardcore?

VIP is a big convenience for starting quests on elite+. You will have a relatively easy time joining hardcore parties with someone who can do this level 1-10 (higher is possible too but more challenging as people die, lol).

You can make a human barbarian for your first character (doesn’t require VIP) and have a very viable character. When you want to do more esoteric builds you will want to consider VIP - Dragonborn warlock, for example.

Generally speaking you can use the free races and classes to get through the game if you focus your build correctly (traps are one consideration, though those have been discussed in the thread recently).

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007
I see a lot about starting out elite+ but even the first dungeon I opened at Elite was beating me up pretty badly, should I run through normals to a certain point then go back for elites? Sorry for the new questions, it's definitely fun so far and the tension is just right. I used a daily dice roll that actually put me up to almost level 2 instantly, is that a mistake? Very interesting so far and thanks for all the help!

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Sintor posted:

I see a lot about starting out elite+ but even the first dungeon I opened at Elite was beating me up pretty badly, should I run through normals to a certain point then go back for elites? Sorry for the new questions, it's definitely fun so far and the tension is just right. I used a daily dice roll that actually put me up to almost level 2 instantly, is that a mistake? Very interesting so far and thanks for all the help!

Elite is very hard for new players and the game is designed for new players to play on normal. That being said, a well build character makes up the difference. Going to level 2 instantly is fine, there isn't really a downside

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Sintor posted:

VIP can potentially be a big help since you can open elite immediately and gives you a multiplicative 15% xp boost, but must be bought with dollars. Also gives you access to stuff like druid and warlock which are equivalently durable, though those are a lot less straightforward than barbarian. As far as store point things though, getting 32 point builds (so you get 4 more points at creations of new characters) is often really helpful. It's a bit more than a few coins, but it's permanent, works on any server, and across all characters. Probably not enough to spend dollars for or if you're doing one softcore character since reincarnation gives you more, but if you want to do a lot of hardcore it's worth it to get eventually once you've racked up enough points from questing imo.

If you do any beholder quests, the item that absorbs 50 beholder rays (but not anti-magic, which you need stuff like mantle or ioun stone for) is also cheap. I would never get them on softcore, but they're a nice bit of insurance for hardcore.

Sintor posted:

There's a lot of movement optimizations using cover from objects and other enemies and juking attacks that make elite easier. If you're having trouble, just do normal or hard initially until you get the swing of it. It'll also help a lot once you get blood tribute maxed.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 2, 2021

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Sintor posted:

If you do a two handed fighting Barbarian and rush tier 3 blood tribute you will do just fine. Just don’t use it too excessively and reset the con penalty by resting.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I got to 20:

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Lorem ipsum posted:

I got to 20:

Hot drat congrats!

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Lorem ipsum posted:

I got to 20:

Nice! I’m puttering along during lulls in the lag storms. Already seen a pubbie get eaten by Arcane Skeleton and another by a plague reaper they chose to face tank out of LOS of the rest of the party!

Jorgos Nuuh
Dec 28, 2004
Pröööööt
Oh, you're Airbud? Watched you play with Strimtom yesterday. Grats!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Not hardcore but sun cleric is going great now that I've got my AoE spelllikes, don't even have farmed gear for it and I'm still cruising. At endgame is that build mostly for healing? It seems like my sustained DPS isn't great and idk if I get that many save or dies

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Thanks all! Pretty clean run so far!

You should be able to do OK damage end game as sun cleric but no idea how it is in reapers. You should be able to heal r10s though if you have like 3k SP

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

I've personally seen like 12 people die now in the 6-9 bracket. I am the harbinger of death. Doom follows in my wake. Also please join my groups.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

The one that split off from the group and spun up a famine reaper for like 2 minutes before dying deserved it though imo.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Suzera posted:

The one that split off from the group and spun up a famine reaper for like 2 minutes before dying deserved it though imo.

All 12 people deserved it imo

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I'm finally going to play this with a group of friends.

We've got a Paladin tank which'll go ??. A Cleric or Favored Soul who wants to heal. Other friend wants to be DPS so probably either Fighter or caster of some sort.

They all know DnD well enough I have no doubts they'll figure out their characters. I'm planning to be the Bard.

Last time I played this I remember traps were enough of an issue you wanted to splash 2 Rogue to be able to disable them/deal with them. Is that still the case? Should I be putting much effort into dealing with traps/opening locks, or can I largely handle that stuff through spells. None of us are going to know these levels, so kinda trying to feel out what I should be building for right at the start to help.

PMB
Oct 30, 2002

Moist and Delicious

Rookersh posted:

We've got a Paladin tank which'll go ??. A Cleric or Favored Soul who wants to heal. Other friend wants to be DPS so probably either Fighter or caster of some sort.

They all know DnD well enough I have no doubts they'll figure out their characters. I'm planning to be the Bard.

Last time I played this I remember traps were enough of an issue you wanted to splash 2 Rogue to be able to disable them/deal with them. Is that still the case? Should I be putting much effort into dealing with traps/opening locks, or can I largely handle that stuff through spells. None of us are going to know these levels, so kinda trying to feel out what I should be building for right at the start to help.

Ymmv, but I am now at 30 on my first life. When I died, 90% of the time it was due to a trap. Squashed, impaled, burnt, dissolved, you name it, it happened.
You can use the DDO wiki or compendium for info on the quests and trap locations if they're fixed, but some of those earlier written modules are absolutely brutal or have random locations for various trap. Don't be like me and try to solo slave lords without a trapper.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Rookersh posted:

Something to note is that healing is usually more for raids and topping up between fights nowadays until you get to high heroics or are doing low reapers (don't do reapers right now). Sometimes there's an emergency though.

Traps are still deadly, but if you're in softcore you don't absolutely need a trapper unless you're dead set on doing every quest on your first life with no video walkthrough watching or retries on elite. On hard and especially normal you can walk through almost every trap and not die. Starting around level 10, you can also death res across the ones you can't platform correctly, and there's only a handful of traps that can't be platformed. Even Shadow Knight and Crucible, two of the most trap heavy quests in the game, if you platform correctly you can take no hits from any of the traps that really hurt.

I do like trapping, but I don't know that I'd recommend doing it on a spellsinger bard for softcore epic if you want to go 20+ since not having weird from the capstone could be a pain. If you're doing hardcore though, absolutely take the two rogue levels.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 3, 2021

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Suzera posted:

Something to note is that healing is usually more for raids and topping up between fights nowadays until you get to high heroics or are doing low reapers (don't do reapers right now). Sometimes there's an emergency though.

Traps are still deadly, but if you're in softcore you don't absolutely need a trapper unless you're dead set on doing every quest on your first life with no video walkthrough watching or retries on elite. On hard and especially normal you can walk through almost every trap and not die. Starting around level 10, you can also death res across the ones you can't platform correctly, and there's only a handful of traps that can't be platformed. Even Shadow Knight and Crucible, two of the most trap heavy quests in the game, if you platform correctly you can take no hits from any of the traps that really hurt.

I do like trapping, but I don't know that I'd recommend doing it on a spellsinger bard for softcore epic if you want to go 20+ since not having weird from the capstone could be a pain. If you're doing hardcore though, absolutely take the two rogue levels.

I'd be going martial bard most likely.

And yeah, none of us want to watch videos on quests before we go in, and I imagine dying due to a mechanic to get past it would get old. So I'll get trapping down. We aren't planning on playing endgame anyways so my build doesn't need to be top notch.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Rookersh posted:

I'd be going martial bard most likely.

And yeah, none of us want to watch videos on quests before we go in, and I imagine dying due to a mechanic to get past it would get old. So I'll get trapping down. We aren't planning on playing endgame anyways so my build doesn't need to be top notch.

On Hardcore you absolutely need a dedicated trapper if you're playing blind. Like, skill gear and enhancements and action boosts dedicated. In a full group, traps will vaporize you before level 12ish.

For regular servers you can ease off a bit because of resurrection shrines/spells, but having skills available just makes life smoother and exploration easier. Less hilarious, though.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

boho posted:

Less hilarious, though.

Imagine “YOLO-types” in our own world if like “healing potions” or, for God’s sake, Rez scrolls were actually available! I mean “Naked Drunken Skeet-Shooting except the Skeet Are Volunteers” would be big on ESPN. I do think martial arts tournaments like the “All-Valley 12 & Under Thunderdome” would be awesome though…

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey looking for advice on spending DDO points- I'm subbed for the near future and have all the expansions except Saltmarsh which afaict isn't on the store, plus picked up the dimensional augment bag from Sharn and bought one crafting storage so I can actually shove my collectibles somewhere. It seems like my priorities are shared storage space and eventually iconics that I want to play, anything else I should be looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The huge/colossal bags are all worthwhile if you're sticking to one character. The ingredients bag can save you a lot of points you'd spend on craft bank upgades. Hirelings folder is real convenient if you TR a lot. You can put all the hirelings you use while leveling in it and pull them out as needed. If you're a caster Feydark Illusionist is really good because it gives you a lot more wiggle room on race choice, but you could do the rep grind for that instead. As for iconics, Bladeforged and Teifling are really strong. Bladeforged is a really good paladin, which you'll want for past life feats, and teifling scoundrel bard spelllingers are really strong and fun right now.