Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, any real issues i have seem like things that later seasons can fix now that it seems to be a success. even then any problems on my end are like. things i already expected from season 1. so hey. i'm optimistic, especially when even people like brandon sanderson said episode 6 was their favorite of the 6 that have been aired early so far and 7+8 promise to pop off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

CainsDescendant posted:

I agree, but shows that trust the audience to pick up on subtext and inference Do Not Do Well. Too many viewers are either distracted or just aren't great at retaining details. I'm really hoping the success the show is getting so far makes the suits back off a bit. At this point, we don't even really need more episodes; an extra ten-fifteen minutes per ep would go a long way towards evening out my gripes.

I really love the show so far, I just want more of it

From what I’m seeing, it’s continuing to do very well. There was a thread on Twitter last night from a guy in India saying that it’s becoming a huge hit over there. Not just with the adults, but with teens too. That’s a huge country Amazon wants more penetration in, and they’re paying attention. A new character that was introduced last night was trending number eight globally on Twitter as well. I think everybody has gripes and nitpicks about the show in general. But, just like fans of the book, everyone also wants this to succeed and see it through.

Like, I was worried Hawkeye would drown out the conversation on Twitter, but it’s really not.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's still people mad that tom bombadil wasn't in the lord of the rings movies so honestly after a point you just gotta move onwards and upwards

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Jordan7hm posted:

Amazon ain’t wrong. Other than not giving the show a couple extra episodes to breath.

I have 0 idea how tv production and editing and costs and all that stuff work so this is probably a dumb thing, but it seems insane to me to have to make editing cuts that clearly hurt/confuse the story when your show is solely appearing on a streaming service you entirely control. Ain’t no commercials or programming blocks, if you shoot a dang scene why the heck aren’t you using it?

(I assume it’s the extra budget of actually making a filmed scene the same quality as the rest of the show, whatever that entails, so I blame Bezos’s tight purse strings)

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Doing a quick run through the episode it looks like 14 minutes either had Stepin in the scene or being discussed. That is a lot for a one hour episode, but it was dense with worldbuilding and character perspectives,. That included the two parallel and contrasting funerals to bookend the episode, and the ring ritual in between, the Warders' perspective through Alanna's Warders and Lan, the Aes Sedai perspective through Alanna and Moiraine, the outsider's perspective through Nynaeve, and for that matter the whole development of religion/demonology through the Forsaken conversation.

More importantly, very little of that time was about Stepin personally. It was clearly presented as a introduction what the Aes Sedai/Warder bond means both culturally and magically. Mentioned on its own, it would be easy to take it as some sort of bodyguard deal with little magical perks; this episode put a lot of weight into it. It was also development time for all the characters shown with them, how they react to a man that's been so spiritually hollowed out by loss both to his face and behind his back. So yeah, the plotline came at a price to the story, but I don't feel it was wasted. "Oh hey I found your friend in the Tower" was rushed but the meeting probably wouldn't have told us anything Loial didn't explain in his rambling.

Unrelated, thought of this with Loial correcting "ogre" to "Ogier."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU_inaBxfqY

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

CainFortea posted:

The first time I lost one of my buddies from bootcamp, a man I hadn't seen in 4 years, I cried so hard I puked.

lol, shot/chaser post combo.

I lost three friends in a helicopter crash. We were good friends, but I actually hadn't seen them in years since I PCS'd. It hit me like a loving sledgehammer. Having one person allowed to grieve for everyone hit pretty hard, too, since I never felt like I was allowed to really grieve.

I found the portrayal of Stepin's grief extremely realistic. If people think all grief and suicidal ideation is performative and outwardly signaled, I don't know what to tell them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pleads posted:

I have 0 idea how tv production and editing and costs and all that stuff work so this is probably a dumb thing, but it seems insane to me to have to make editing cuts that clearly hurt/confuse the story when your show is solely appearing on a streaming service you entirely control. Ain’t no commercials or programming blocks, if you shoot a dang scene why the heck aren’t you using it?

(I assume it’s the extra budget of actually making a filmed scene the same quality as the rest of the show, whatever that entails, so I blame Bezos’s tight purse strings)

The scenes don't always actually get shot. And even if shot, it still costs to put it through post and edit it.

As to the hour length, I have no idea. They should let each episode be as long as it needs to be. I mean, in general you always want to have some kind of limit so that you don't basically feature creep. But yea, if the show would really be improved by extending it 2 more minutes, then let it go.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

Surprised I haven't seen anyone noticing the dodgy peddler from ep1 hanging out in the streets, seemingly following Matt and Rand.
especially when they had his laugh audible over the crowd and from a camera up in a window

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah I think the reason for cuts isn't budget many times, because they clearly filmed a lot more, it's worries that you haven't built up enough viewership and trust that people will stick through hour+ episodes.

I have no doubt they have statistics about that that make it look like a really big gamble to risk longer episodes on a show that hadn't ever been tested yet from a property most viewers won't know. Hopefully with the success of this season, that changes and Rafe and co get more money and more control about when to go over and what gets axed.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

nine-gear crow posted:

This is the second time it comes up in the show so far. The guy in the cage from the town where Rand and Mat meet Thom was a red haired dude and Thom was like "yeah, he's from a group of people who all have red hair and nobody likes them."

In that exact same town, though, Rand isn't met with hostility and racism. This kinda suggests "not all red heads" as Loial (mistakenly, I think) believes.

Edit: By this I mean that sure, all Aiel might be red heads, but not all red heads are Aiel.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 4, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Qmass posted:

especially when they had his laugh audible over the crowd and from a camera up in a window

Also because his laugh sort of blends in with the drumbeats, which seemed really weird so I was like "wait what was going on with that shot?" and I had to roll it back a couple of times and finally I saw him.

That's actually something I've noticed a lot ever since HDTV became a thing: you can have big crowds of people in a shot, and it'll still have someone in the middle somewhere that it's framing and you're supposed to pay attention to, maybe even speaking dialogue, and it can sometimes be a trick to try to find out where the hell they are or who the hell you're supposed to be looking at in the few seconds you get. Every shot is meaningful (it'd better be, for what it costs to create and set up with all the sets and CGI and actors and everything), and if a shot goes by without you being sure why they put it in the show, you might want to ask yourself if you missed something important.

In this case I was staring at the walking ladies the first couple of times to see whether they were anyone I was supposed to recognize, but I kept seeing this little weird shape ducking out of frame up at the top left. Finally I was like *dicaprio point*

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The Netflix seasons of Lucifer varied significantly in episode length. Some were the typical 45ish minutes of a network TV episode, and some were upwards of an hour. It felt like the production crew was allowed to tell the story they wanted rather than having to work within a tight time constraint.

Edit: correct numbers after checking IMDB

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 4, 2021

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
This show absolutely owns. I don't get the poor critical reception, what the hell??

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Count me as one who is in favor of the funeral stuff. A memorable quality of the books was their willingness to focus on minor characters as a way of providing many different perspectives on things important to the main characters and main story.

I also like the tone achieved by frequently having characters who, y'know, care about each other.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

the last signal... posted:

This show absolutely owns. I don't get the poor critical reception, what the hell??

The first episode was the weakest and tv critics are lazy snobs.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

my cat is norris posted:

In that exact same town, though, Rand isn't met with hostility and racism. This kinda suggests "not all red heads" as Loial (mistakenly, I think) believes.

Edit: By this I mean that sure, all Aiel might be red heads, but not all red heads are Aiel.

I think this line stands out as a side effect of the productions diversity. Rand would stand out more if everyone else was the pasty yt I presume Jordan wrote them to be.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

the last signal... posted:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The first episode was the weakest and tv critics are lazy snobs.

Also the internet pop culture bellweather these days is driven by a cabal of chuds with oxygen-consuming YouTube channels who tell their tinybrained followers what to like and what to hate, and they're not fond of, in descending order 1) women, 2) people of colour, 3) women and/or people of colour who do things and speak a lot. And guess what this show has in abundance? :v:

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Not a book reader, but I thought the heavy focus on the warder/aes sedai bond in ep 5 was foreshadowing. WILD SPECUALATION:Morraine will die. She said there was a way to give up the warder bond, so she will probably die and let Lan free. Then Lan will become Nynaeve's warder since doomed warder here in this ep seems to see a growing relationship between Lan and Nynaeve even if they won't acknowledge it yet (and I don't know that I see it either.)

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ehhh, it's more that some of the secondary traits really aren't there. Like, even aside from the red hair Rand in the books would absolutely stick out because he is incredibly tall at 6'6", while even Perrin is only ~6'1-2" and Aiel being quite tall is fairly common in general. They're also both a stark red (compared to reddish gold and the like, which do exist elsewhere), and generally pale, which is fairly distinctive from "just" being redheads. The books themselves are very multicultural, and it's not remotely a "everyone's white" kind of setting.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

LionArcher posted:

Somebody on twitter commented that as a vet, the way the warders were treated and acted like vets impacted them so much, because that's how they all acted, and the second funeral captured grief in a very real and none wester culture bullshit way. Did the shirt rip teeter on too much? Possibly, but I personal (and I've been close to vets) felt they nailed that feeling. Again, that death wasn't about that character, but the characters that we do care about.

Not to mention all the actors knocked it out of the park. I'm talking they should straight up get Emmy nominations at this point.

This is good to hear because it wouldn't surprise me if it was intentional. Both for the authenticity and to honor the deceased author of the series. Jordan was a Vietnam vet and it shows up in how he writes some things. So having this entirely unique to TV scene feel honest to vets makes it a better scene to me (and I already enjoyed it.)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mage_Boy posted:

This is good to hear because it wouldn't surprise me if it was intentional. Both for the authenticity and to honor the deceased author of the series. Jordan was a Vietnam vet and it shows up in how he writes some things. So having this entirely unique to TV scene feel honest to vets makes it a better scene to me (and I already enjoyed it.)

I watched the Inside the Episode video that came along with Episode 5 and they talked about how the writers for it researched various funeral traditions from around the world and there's one that revolves around someone being a "lead mourner", usually the closest person to the deceased. Everyone else is supposed to keep it together and rely on the funeral leader to basically express their grief for them by going as ham as they feel like in the moment in this massive bout of catharsis. It was meant to contrast with how Lan had been portrayed up to his point as basically so stoic he's practically mute, so it IS incredibly jarring to see him wailing and hitting himself raw red and ripping his shirt open like that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

my cat is norris posted:

I mean sure, but Rand isn't dressed like an Aiel. He looks like a tall sheepherder, not a dangerous desert ninja.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I watched the Inside the Episode video that came along with Episode 5 and they talked about how the writers for it researched various funeral traditions from around the world and there's one that revolves around someone being a "lead mourner", usually the closest person to the deceased. Everyone else is supposed to keep it together and rely on the funeral leader to basically express their grief for them by going as ham as they feel like in the moment in this massive bout of catharsis. It was meant to contrast with how Lan had been portrayed up to his point as basically so stoic he's practically mute, so it IS incredibly jarring to see him wailing and hitting himself raw red and ripping his shirt open like that.

Yea. I don't know if I said it in this thread or not, but Lan fully respecting a death rite is 100% Lan. Even if it involved doing Allamaraine.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Rand’s ethnicity is kinda a big spoiler

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ChubbyChecker posted:

the book scenes have been too rushed, and the non-book scenes had been ok before this episode

They could've chucked the whole warder subplot and focused more on loial, nyaneve or something else from the books IMO.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wailing and rending garments in grief is awesome, by the way.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

navyjack posted:

Rand’s ethnicity is kinda a big spoiler

Or it’s a red herring. As far as I know, only one of the Two Rivers people can be the Dragon Reborn. But the show is going almost out of its way to offer suggestions that it could be any of them (edit: including Nynaeve, who didn’t even register on Moiraine’s radar when she visited Emond’s Field). Some of those will eventually turn out to be prophetic, while the rest will, I guess, end up either meaningless coincidence or hints towards other story arcs.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I really dug Stepin and I was sad to watch his inevitable death

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rarity posted:

I really dug Stepin and I was sad to watch his inevitable death

Same.

Also, the impact of Karene and Stepin's story on Moiraine and especially Lan is laying important groundwork for later events, I'm sure.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 4, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I get that it's not just grief, but magical grief, but you'll also magically feel better by getting under someone else so suck it up!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
this episode was terrible imo. the whitecloaks are cartoonish in a way that's tonally out of whack with the rest of the show – there's something bizarre about saturday morning-level characterisation and dialogue, intercut with egwene being stripped and full-frame shots of perrin getting carved up.

like a third of the runtime was characters in tar valon sharing insanely boring (and on-the-nose!) memories, or explaining basic stuff that the other person would already know. not at all hopeful for the tower politics if this episode is anything to go by. i don't get why they dedicated so much time to the warders being epic bourbon bastards instead of, say, making the wolf stuff not come out of nowhere.

loial works okay at least – he looks huge!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

exmarx posted:

this episode was terrible imo. the whitecloaks are cartoonish in a way that's tonally out of whack with the rest of the show – there's something bizarre about saturday morning-level characterisation and dialogue, intercut with egwene being stripped and full-frame shots of perrin getting carved up.

like a third of the runtime was characters in tar valon sharing insanely boring (and on-the-nose!) memories, or explaining basic stuff that the other person would already know. not at all hopeful for the tower politics if this episode is anything to go by. i don't get why they dedicated so much time to the warders being epic bourbon bastards instead of, say, making the wolf stuff not come out of nowhere.

loial works okay at least – he looks huge!

the wolves have been following perrin around and howling for I think three episodes now. they were howling throughout much of the interrogation. i do agree valda is a little ridiculous. he reminds me of Joe arpaio. the whitecloaks beating up the tinkers made me sick

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

exmarx posted:

this episode was terrible imo. the whitecloaks are cartoonish in a way that's tonally out of whack with the rest of the [franchise]

Welcome to the Wheel of Time fandom!

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I guess I'm dead inside because I found the funeral wailing and chest beating lame. Otherwise the episode was alright.

White cloaks are lame and horrible human beings, not to mention horribly ostentatious in the book, so the show version seems fine to me. There are lots of extremist factions in the WOT world.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

CainsDescendant posted:

I agree, but shows that trust the audience to pick up on subtext and inference Do Not Do Well. Too many viewers are either distracted or just aren't great at retaining details.
While this is generally true, you can really get something that stands out when you trust your audience more and the series is 100% "content" instead of being a primer to the world. See for example The Expanse S1, where most of the super dense world building oozes out of the scenes instead of having talking heads explain it for the benefit of the public.

On a positive note, on top of the actors' diversity, I'm really enjoying the variety in costumes and architecture too. While some of the more traditional "western fantasy" elements feel a bit "high level larp" (looking at you, Stepins's wowish axes), it's refreshing to see unusual elements, especially Arab and Arabic Spain influences in both the buildings and the armors. And of course we have Asian stile weaponry as well.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hamelekim posted:

I guess I'm dead inside because I found the funeral wailing and chest beating lame.

i feel like that people are trolling me when they praise that scene. it's the most cheesiest scene i remember ever seeing on tv

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ChubbyChecker posted:

i feel like that people are trolling me when they praise that scene. it's the most cheesiest scene i remember ever seeing on tv

That's why it's good.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

That Italian Guy posted:

On a positive note, on top of the actors' diversity, I'm really enjoying the variety in costumes and architecture too. While some of the more traditional "western fantasy" elements feel a bit "high level larp" (looking at you, Stepins's wowish axes), it's refreshing to see unusual elements, especially Arab and Arabic Spain influences in both the buildings and the armors. And of course we have Asian stile weaponry as well.
Speaking of "high level larp" costumes, I really dislike the "character forgotten in an oubliette with shining white teeth" syndrome when it's applied to clothes as well.

Most of our cast has lived on the road for weeks or even years by now and all their clothes are always perfectly clean and starched; there are a few exceptions, like Mat, but that's mostly for story reasons, same as his makeup. I guess magic may be involved for some of them :v:

This is not meant to be "everything should be gritty and realistic", but seeing all our cast being spick and span in, IE: the funeral scene, after they fought against an entire army (and quite a few of them where wounded too!) and buried their comrades really takes me out of the moment.

Tbf, it's something most productions are guilty of this, but at the same time it feels like something that should be (relatively) easy to do - especially cause I'm sure the actors themselves got dirt on their clothes, and there have to be multiple copies of the same garment for them to always be perfect.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 4, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Aes Sedai specifically are known for always looking pristine and composed no matter what the situation is, they don't even sweat when the weather's hot. Fair point for the rest though, Rand especially always looks photoshoot ready (though I did like that his hair grew out to mark the month of time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Rarity posted:

Aes Sedai specifically are known for always looking pristine and composed no matter what the situation is, they don't even sweat when the weather's hot. Fair point for the rest though, Rand especially always looks photoshoot ready (though I did like that his hair grew out to mark the month of time)
Yeah that was a nice touch! Also Perrin's hair being woven the same way as the Tinkers's are.