Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
By having mission-based sessions, I thought that meant they'd have like procedurally generated missions that get more demanding as you advance and would be used to smooth out the ark XP progression poo poo. They're like, handmade missions? How many are there? What happens when you do them all? What do you get for completing them? What is their relationship with progression?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I thought it would be good ark but it sounds like it's bad subnautica

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

truther posted:

Love reading the rage in the past few posts about Icarus. No defining features apart from the whole point of the game: missions.

Bears spawning on top of you is clearly a bug. Not sure why you're taking it so personally.
No torch holding while carrying a weapon isn't a big deal. Just drop a floor torch... Also, in larger caves you'll want to setup a processing station right inside anyway so it's faster to transport the material in ingot form.
Grinding reduces each session as you unlock more in the blueprint and talent tree.

Game pretty good. Runs so smoothly and looks very nice. Lots more flora since beta. Missions are interesting. Great having access to the workshop and the upgrade path outside of the planet-side gameplay.

stop the presses you’re telling me this video games got missions??

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
There are 35 missions I think. They range in difficulties and in the type of missions. Each mission you get a reward of a currency which you spend off-planet for researching and crafting special items like improved tools, armours, etc. I spent most of the day playing and had 200 of the currency, while some of the ones you can unlock cost 1000 just to research, let alone craft. So as far as 'what do you do when you do them all' goes, I think you'd be spending a ton of time before you'd reach that point.

I know they've got more planned but no idea what that will consist of.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I think Dean Hall's association with this game is actually making people assume the worst in the "bug or feature" guessing game. Are pitch black nights or insta-gib teleporting bears a bug or a case of "my vision!". Who knows, but people are going to assume the latter when it comes to Dean "Finding a can a food should be the high part of your day" Hall.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

I think Dean Hall's association with this game is actually making people assume the worst in the "bug or feature" guessing game. Are pitch black nights or insta-gib teleporting bears a bug or a case of "my vision!". Who knows, but people are going to assume the latter when it comes to Dean "Finding a can a food should be the high part of your day" Hall.

The thing making people assume the worst is that the main feature we are discussing did not exist in the beta, which ended two weeks ago, in any meaningful sense despite being the primary focus of the marketing.

I do not think it would take me a very long time to do 35 missions but who knows.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

truther posted:

There are 35 missions I think. They range in difficulties and in the type of missions. Each mission you get a reward of a currency which you spend off-planet for researching and crafting special items like improved tools, armours, etc. I spent most of the day playing and had 200 of the currency, while some of the ones you can unlock cost 1000 just to research, let alone craft. So as far as 'what do you do when you do them all' goes, I think you'd be spending a ton of time before you'd reach that point.

I know they've got more planned but no idea what that will consist of.

Am I crazy for thinking this sounds like it must not impact your play very much? If you can play all day and get one or two unlocks by interacting with missions and dozens of unlocks by grinding wolves or crafting 80 walls or whatever, then the missions sound pretty whatever unless the unlocks are world changing. I really thought they were going to replace grinding wolves not layer on top of it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
but for real, it's just earthlike forest with bears and wolves and poo poo? really?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Flesh Forge posted:

but for real, it's just earthlike forest with bears and wolves and poo poo? really?

There is also an ice biome and I poo poo you not 2 expansion packs for the desert and alien biome. Funny thing when this was first announced they were included in the main game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
lmao looking at it on steam "Buy this bundle to save 0% off all 2 items!"
e: NINETY BUCKS what the gently caress

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It doesn’t even seem like Icarus is particularly difficult, just tedious. Which I suppose tracks given Dean Hall’s game record.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Not to be too contrary but I didn't see any on the spaceship interface after finishing the tutorial mission. I didn't earn any currency from it either. Maybe all missions after the first one earn you something?

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Yeah, that very first mission doesn't net you any reward.

30.5 Days posted:

Am I crazy for thinking this sounds like it must not impact your play very much? If you can play all day and get one or two unlocks by interacting with missions and dozens of unlocks by grinding wolves or crafting 80 walls or whatever, then the missions sound pretty whatever unless the unlocks are world changing. I really thought they were going to replace grinding wolves not layer on top of it

I think the idea is that getting more/better unlocks will shorten the time taken to complete certain missions. One example I can think of is crafting tools prior to entering a mission. If it's actually going to be worthwhile is yet to be seen I guess.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I played Icarus in beta and enjoyed it for 5-10 hours or so but the grind became extreme very quickly at that point (or before).

Played a bit just now so Steam would actually let me review it (since the beta isn't shown in time played as it's a differnt app) and somehow they made it even more grindy.

Played almost an hour, that got me to level 3, you need to be level 5 to unlock the first parts of wooden housing (6-7 to get all the parts you need) and I was already at the point of just grinding poo poo for XP to level and for no other purpose.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
You can get to level three in about 20 minutes if you just run around harvesting stuff. It is really grindy though and I'm still hoping that at some point the fun unlocks but right now I just want to play a link to the past instead. But I'm playing icarus with a friend again after lunch.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Everything I'm seeing here and have seen elsewhere earnestly looks like a game that went from proof of concept demo to Early Access, not EA to full release

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Is Grounded fairly close to feature complete at this point, or is it still really EA with limited questline?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Gaben's refund team must be in a good mood. They refunded Icarus even though I had 10 hours played.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Raged posted:

Gaben's refund team must be in a good mood. They refunded Icarus even though I had 10 hours played.

They've never said it officially, but I'm pretty sure they have an official policy when it comes to totally busted pieces of rear end. Especially when they're complicit and have said broken piece of rear end on the headline banner.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Sab Sabbington posted:

Everything I'm seeing here and have seen elsewhere earnestly looks like a game that went from proof of concept demo to Early Access, not EA to full release

It's more like a game that exists to show off the engine tech, which isn't even great. Like being able to mine into a rock is cool, but it's not cool if I get stuck on the rock while mining it too.

In other news, been playing Raft with my wife in co-op and that's been actually half-decent so far. Stabbed and killed me a shark and a warthog.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Last month I tried Raft again after finding out it has a modest but healthy modding scene. There was a mod that made the shark stop biting your raft after it reached a certain size which was a godsend. Before I tried just turning it off, but that got rid of the good tension from exploring underwater, but I hated the tedium of fending it off every 10 minutes without harvesting hundreds of metal. Sometimes I just want to chill on my raft and enjoy the ocean, you know?

There's a whole bunch of good QoL mods too, especially stuff like auto stash and craft from storage that smoothes over the vanilla game's worst pain points.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Kinda sounds like the very first mission spawning two bears right on top of you to kill you instantly, and it being so well known that players already recommend building a bear-cheesing hut for the mission, is not excused for being a bug. This is loving release. If anything having such a glaring, ridiculous, widespread bug in now, after multiple beta tests, is damning. Having to grind in the first half hour? No crossplay on SP/MP characters? Selling DLC already? And their big selling point, the missions, aren't even interesting, or fun, or rewarding, apparently. They don't add a drat thing to the loop except making you re-craft early game stuff repeatedly. Wow.
All this for a game where you chop trees, kill wolves, and build log cabins in the woods. Groundbreaking!

truther posted:

No defining features apart from the whole point of the game: missions.
Bears spawning on top of you is clearly a bug. Not sure why you're taking it so personally.
No torch holding while carrying a weapon isn't a big deal.
Game pretty good. Runs so smoothly and looks very nice. Lots more flora since beta. Missions are interesting.
so which dev are you then

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I haven't played it, but from almost everything I have read in this thread, that post gave me a "blink twice if you are being held against your will" feeling. Good for them if they are enjoying it though I guess!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Moving the third and fourth biome to day 1 dlc after people had already bought the game and played in those biomes is so incredibly ballsy how can I do anything but respect it?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

New trailer and release date for Sons of the Forest.

https://youtu.be/8sghWJKPWno

May 20th 2022

Personally I'm fairly excited. The Forest is my favourite survival game, and my only worry was that they would wreck the formula. What's on shoe looks like The Forest, but better, with human sized mutants thrown into the mix so things get weird faster.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

Vib Rib posted:

Kinda sounds like the very first mission spawning two bears right on top of you to kill you instantly, and it being so well known that players already recommend building a bear-cheesing hut for the mission, is not excused for being a bug. This is loving release. If anything having such a glaring, ridiculous, widespread bug in now, after multiple beta tests, is damning. Having to grind in the first half hour? No crossplay on SP/MP characters? Selling DLC already? And their big selling point, the missions, aren't even interesting, or fun, or rewarding, apparently. They don't add a drat thing to the loop except making you re-craft early game stuff repeatedly. Wow.
All this for a game where you chop trees, kill wolves, and build log cabins in the woods. Groundbreaking!

The very first mission is building a hut and a fire. Besides that, the devs have said the bears are a bug that they've fixed. Do bugs not happen at release in the games you play? In my experience this weekend, that made up the most notable bug that I encountered. Complaining that you have to grind in the first half hour in a survival game is a weird complaint. Why wouldn't you have to grind materials to build your house, tools, etc?

As far as DLC goes, someone earlier said the desert and ice biome were promised and are now instead locked behind DLC. They're not. The DLC seems to be extra missions and furthering the story, but those biomes are definitely accessible right now. Likewise 30.5 Days saying more biomes were "moved" behind DLC doesn't seem accurate at all. I don't recall them ever offering them in the base game, but I'll concede I'm wrong if you can actually show this is the case. There is no Day 1 DLC as far as I'm aware?

My group has found the missions to be fun. Definitely more interesting than what was in the beta, and some actually require some thinking on how to approach and solve them. We also found them super rewarding as the unlocks in the workshop seem quite impactful. "They don't add a drat thing to the loop" is a weird one seeing as some are literally tools which save you having to grind them the next time you play and offer decent bonuses to resource gathering.

I dunno, seems like some people have a real hard-on for making GBS threads on the game and when the complaints come off as deliberate attempts to misinterpret what actually happens in-game it makes sense for me to point out that's not actually the case.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I have no opinion about Icarus but pedantic arguments like "well the bears that instantly kill you are in fact the second mission, not the first" and "the 90 dollar version of the game is not technically dlc" are not compelling tbh

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Ah yes, the problem isn't people posting inaccurate statements it's the person who is correcting them.
The person made it a point to emphasise that the "very first mission" is bugged, obviously giving the impression your first experience will be terrible, and game bad because of it. It's been fixed and it's not the first mission. I don't see what's so pedantic about pointing that out.

The 90 dollar version of the game gives you two additional Outposts (perma-build sites) and the upcoming DLC. So it's not Day 1 DLC. And biomes aren't locked behind this future DLC.
So, again... it's all good that people post just categorically wrong information to put people off the game?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

30.5 Days posted:

Moving the third and fourth biome to day 1 dlc after people had already bought the game and played in those biomes is so incredibly ballsy how can I do anything but respect it?

Dean "Rocket" Hall is loving us again!!!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

truther posted:

Ah yes, the problem isn't people posting inaccurate statements it's the person who is correcting them.
The person made it a point to emphasise that the "very first mission" is bugged, obviously giving the impression your first experience will be terrible, and game bad because of it. It's been fixed and it's not the first mission. I don't see what's so pedantic about pointing that out.

The 90 dollar version of the game gives you two additional Outposts (perma-build sites) and the upcoming DLC. So it's not Day 1 DLC. And biomes aren't locked behind this future DLC.
So, again... it's all good that people post just categorically wrong information to put people off the game?

truther posted:

Not sure why you're taking it so personally.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

truther posted:

So did you fix the bug or did you hand it off to a co-worker?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

No prior opinions on Icarus whatsoever but if it's for tiresome motherfuckers like that guy count me out forever

lmao hundreds of hours and multiple worldgens into Vintage Story I just encountered my very first bees, which half the stuff that makes spelunking feasible are gated behind

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 5, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They do have a point that using a bug/grinding to avoid an early access survival game is kinda weird.

Anyone remember the forest? Lol.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Man, this thread really has some bitter folk in it. Guess everyone has been burned by survival-crafts too much.

I predict Sons of the Forest will be grindy and buggy like the first, but it'll still be a ton of fun.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

truther posted:

Oh dear me I forgot to say it was the first actual mission! The real "First Mission" was the "not a tutorial" mission.

So you are telling us the alien biome isn't locked behind the DLC?

Also, bears are still spawning on top of people at mission sites. Devs have even said in the discord we are supposed to cheese it. Great game design!

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Someone was saying they moved playable biomes to be behind a paywall. As far as I'm aware, that's not the case.

If it's still happening with the bear spawns, that's dumb. I had it happen once in that mission which I thought was excusable but it's brutal and BS if it keeps happening, especially with the penalty for respawning.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Mate just shut the gently caress up and take the L. If you somehow like the game, that's great for you, but stop pretending its not poo poo, cause it is, and stop acting like the devs are totally innocent babbies and not scummy hucksters selling quarter finished products.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Raged posted:

Also, bears are still spawning on top of people at mission sites. Devs have even said in the discord we are supposed to cheese it. Great game design!

Is this "Cheese it because i'm not changing it" or "Cheese it, i'll fix it".

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

ShootaBoy posted:

Mate just shut the gently caress up and take the L. If you somehow like the game, that's great for you, but stop pretending its not poo poo, cause it is, and stop acting like the devs are totally innocent babbies and not scummy hucksters selling quarter finished products.

I am sorry for upsetting you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

truther posted:

Man, this thread really has some bitter folk in it. Guess everyone has been burned by survival-crafts too much.

I predict Sons of the Forest will be grindy and buggy like the first, but it'll still be a ton of fun.

Notable grindy game, The Forest.