Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/amp/ncna1285341

“Silent Night” is set in a near future in which the earth has experienced massive environmental collapse. Poisonous storms sweep the landscape, and everyone caught in them dies in hideous agony. The British government has issued euthanasia pills to (almost) everyone so they can die with less pain.

But it's a dark comedy! :v:

isn't the gas a russian attack or something in the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i know it's just a comedy so maybe i expect too much but idk why the writer has the idea that the end would be orderly, logistics wouldn't break down, there wouldn't be purge style poo poo going down, etc. if the poo poo going down the last few years because of covid and biosphere collapse doesn't make you realize otherwise, idk what will.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/amp/ncna1285341

“Silent Night” is set in a near future in which the earth has experienced massive environmental collapse. Poisonous storms sweep the landscape, and everyone caught in them dies in hideous agony. The British government has issued euthanasia pills to (almost) everyone so they can die with less pain.

But it's a dark comedy! :v:

No government's going to issue suicide pills. You'll suffer until the day you die

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There are billions of suicide pills in America, we just use a slightly different word.

SKULL.GIF has issued a correction as of 15:53 on Dec 4, 2021

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Milo and POTUS posted:

No government's going to issue suicide pills. You'll suffer until the day you die
yea this is always the least realistic part to me. it’ll be forced labour and the knowledge that if you off yourself they’ll kill your family as well

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/01/john-kerry-says-private-sector-can-win-climate-change-battle.html

quote:

U.S. climate envoy John Kerry said on Wednesday that the private sector has the ability to find solutions to climate change by funding the trillions needed for a global clean energy transition.

Kerry said that no government in the world has enough money to solve the climate crisis or complete the energy transition, and that private investment in clean energy technology is therefore critical to combatting climate change.
I made a noise that sounds like a Canada goose honking when I read this

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the government printed trillions of dollars when covid started lol

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

The new poly panels and lipo batteries are making solar really tempting nowadays, if you're handy you can build a pretty massive system for $2k-3k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLgGGB_McW0

gently caress yeah but you should go with monocrystal half cells; the price has come way down and they are nearly 28% efficient.
you don't need azimuth and horizon tracking but panels are really only good when they are pointed directly at the sun, the minimum acceptance angle is like 5 degrees +/-

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Seatbelts posted:

gently caress yeah but you should go with monocrystal half cells; the price has come way down and they are nearly 28% efficient.
you don't need azimuth and horizon tracking but panels are really only good when they are pointed directly at the sun, the minimum acceptance angle is like 5 degrees +/-

yeah tracking is rarely worth it with the current price of panels. spend the money you’d have spent on motors etc on more panels instead

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

actionjackson posted:

the government printed trillions of dollars when covid started lol

Sometimes the economy feels sick.

Inflation makes it feel better again. For about a year. Then :rip:.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

what loving kills me about all that guys battery and solar system videos is that he's using it all to power his crypto mining rigs.

like he's one of the top two or three battery review youtubers, but also an autistic libertarian.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I mean it's the less environmentally destructive methods of mining.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
makes sense

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Reduce, reuse, recycle :)

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

maybe it’ll make the meat taste better like how various juices taste better out of plastic bottles

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Weak. That photo doesn't show it in use, does it? It is handily one-upped by Plastic Bag Soup Woman.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhX37EGLJnY

https://shop.sclubricants.com/delo-1000-marine-40

poo poo! i thought the end of this video would show it in use, but it doesn't :eng99:

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EDwqC4iO9A&t=974s this is a different one, but it shows people cooking on it lol it looks like the same kind of barrel

Alobar has issued a correction as of 23:55 on Dec 4, 2021

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Use the power of the government to direct those trillions of dollars currently in private hands? Can't do that!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lolling again that the same societies who are in the process catastrophically bungling the response to COVID are suppose to be able to address the far more difficult problem of climate change

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
It's especially funny when you consider that most of our COVID response is purposefully designed to appease private interests and allow for market-based solutions to a public health crisis.

lol

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Alobar posted:

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EDwqC4iO9A&t=974s this is a different one, but it shows people cooking on it lol it looks like the same kind of barrel

turning barrels into maple sap evaporators is a pretty normal thing to do here in Vermont and as far as I know it's fine, as long as you cook off whatever the gently caress is on the barrel at a higher temperature than you bring it to while you're boiling?

I wouldn't know, I just got normal 14g stainless steel pans to boil in...

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

bedpan posted:

lolling again that the same societies who are in the process catastrophically bungling the response to COVID are suppose to be able to address the far more difficult problem of climate change

Yep. Covid is the ultimate proof that we're incapable of dealing with anything even remotely related to the tragicomedy of the commons

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the US military's nearly 80 year old 200 million gallon fuel tanks in Honolulu have leaked and now 100k people don't have potable water:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/12/03/navy-confirms-presence-petroleum-products-red-hill-drinking-water/

quote:

ONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Nearly five days after military households first reported their tap water smelled like fuel and was making them sick, the Navy on Thursday night announced its tests have confirmed the presence of petroleum in the Red Hill drinking water well.

“We have pretty conclusive indications that there are volatile petroleum products in the well,” said U.S. Pacific Fleet Deputy Commander Blake Converse, at a virtual town hall on Thursday night.

“And we determined that it is the likely source of the contamination of our water distribution system across the Navy system.”

The Navy shut down its Red Hill pumping shaft Sunday night, but failed to inform the public.

“The Red Hill shaft was closed for two reasons. The first reason — it was the closest shaft to folks who reported petroleum smells, sheens in their water and taste in their water so the logical source was the Red Hill shaft,” Converse said. “Red Hill shaft is closer to petroleum sources that we’re experiencing.”

Tests conducted “throughout the rest of the Navy water distribution system” have come back negative for petroleum, he added.

That’s in contrast with the results from the state Health Department, which found petroleum in a water sample from Red Hill Elementary School.

And in a sample HNN sent to a private lab, technicians detected the presence of diesel.

Meanwhile, the Board of Water Supply has said its systems are not impacted by the contamination. But officials also expressed concern the contamination in the Navy’s water could spread.

avy officials said by identifying the source of the contamination, they hoped to be able to move quickly to “develop a plan to restore the potable water system to EPA standards.”

In a news release late Thursday, the Navy said the Red Hill sample contained levels of petroleum hydrocarbons “roughly four to 10 times below the Hawaii Department of Health Environmental Action Level.” The Navy did not release the actual sample results, however.

Converse added there is also work underway to determine how the petroleum got in the well in the first place. Since the contamination reports first arose, there’s been intense scrutiny on the Navy’s Red Hill Fuel Storage Facility — whose underground tanks are situated above the aquifer.

The tainted water has prompted widespread concern among government officials.

On Thursday morning, U.S. Rep. Kai Kahele called the threat a crisis “of astronomical proportions” and called on the Navy to move more quickly to identify the problem and fix it.

Anyway the major news story about Hawaii on CNN is about how there's a blizzard warning on top of a 13k ft mountain

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lmao the aquifer is directly under the tanks

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

lmao the aquifer is directly under the tanks

well where else would you put it?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

The Wisest Moron posted:

Yes, I'm experiencing "Existential Dread" over losing my lifestyle with easy access to food, water, and medicine because I'm spoiled

yeah, it's called hypermaterialism, it makes people go apeshit because they realize they're zoo people in an enclosure instead of finding purpose and service with some kind of tangible spirituality aspect to make things meaningful rather than just worthless endless acquisition for nothing since it all goes to dust anyways

americans literally consume more anti-depressants than any other nation in the world, it's a theme park cosplay nation with cosplay citizens who really are just debtor consumerists.

a book called Ishmael by Daniel Quinn somewhat touches on this, but grossly underestimated how utterly psychotic people will go to lengths in the endless depth of narcissism to feed a voracious appetite of cheap thrills that quickly evaporate endlessly and to maintain this illusion by violence and coercion.

Lastgirl has issued a correction as of 01:53 on Dec 5, 2021

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
there's a report from 1998 that warns about a catastrophic fuel discharge (>1 million gallons) because of tank corrosion and they apparently haven't done anything about that in over twenty years lmao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

at that point just pour the oil in the water and use a longer straw to get the water once it all separates into density layers

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

bedpan posted:

the ones that didn’t bungle Covid are also not doing anything meaningful for gcc either so really no one cares

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Real hurthling! posted:

at that point just pour the oil in the water and use a longer straw to get the water once it all separates into density layers

The oil will prevent the water from evaporating. Genius. California should do this instead of spending money on ballpits

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Wolfy posted:

Water and food are overrated anyway.

I watched Snowpiercer the other day and I believe that’s how climate change is going to play out.

Snowpiercer was severely optimistic about our willingness to invest in trains

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

bag em and tag em posted:

Snowpiercer was severely optimistic about our willingness to invest in trains
You're right, we'll be in Tesla pods for the real version.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lastgirl posted:

yeah, it's called hypermaterialism, it makes people go apeshit because they realize they're zoo people in an enclosure instead of finding purpose and service with some kind of tangible spirituality aspect to make things meaningful rather than just worthless endless acquisition for nothing since it all goes to dust anyways

what do you mean by "spirituality aspect?"

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWEdy59hgHB/

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
1 giant loop long, these are our hyperloops

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Lastgirl posted:

americans literally consume more anti-depressants than any other nation in the world, it's a theme park cosplay nation with cosplay citizens who really are just debtor consumerists.

a book called Ishmael by Daniel Quinn somewhat touches on this, but grossly underestimated how utterly psychotic people will go to lengths in the endless depth of narcissism to feed a voracious appetite of cheap thrills that quickly evaporate endlessly and to maintain this illusion by violence and coercion.

I think I made a mistake in not understanding the 'existential' in existential dread. Yes it's stupid to think your life loses meaning if you don't have easy access to resources. Experiencing general dread over losing easy access to resources is pretty normal, I think.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://twitter.com/Liv_Agar/status/1466987906149625858

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Here's a story about how with a little ingenuity and gumption we can fix regular pollution with noise pollution! :peanut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtlPTE-UmY4

I am genuinely glad that there are people dedicated to saving ducks from cooking themselves in acid, but it's pretty :911: that the method of choice is shooting in their direction lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

The Wisest Moron posted:

Here's a story about how with a little ingenuity and gumption we can fix regular pollution with noise pollution! :peanut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtlPTE-UmY4

I am genuinely glad that there are people dedicated to saving ducks from cooking themselves in acid, but it's pretty :911: that the method of choice is shooting in their direction lol.

This is so depressing

:rubby: