Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pleads posted:

I have 0 idea how tv production and editing and costs and all that stuff work so this is probably a dumb thing, but it seems insane to me to have to make editing cuts that clearly hurt/confuse the story when your show is solely appearing on a streaming service you entirely control. Ain’t no commercials or programming blocks, if you shoot a dang scene why the heck aren’t you using it?

(I assume it’s the extra budget of actually making a filmed scene the same quality as the rest of the show, whatever that entails, so I blame Bezos’s tight purse strings)

One arbitrary metric Amazon cares about is "binge-ability" so they definitely put artifical caps on things like run time just to prevent audience members from looking at an episode and saying "This show is too long, I'm not that into this show" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Here is a Youtube playlist with the animated shorts in pretty good quality:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-FYNfmZsp-j_SwKC830_S2nU7MDZDNEm

I have to say, they are really, really good.

No idea how long it will stay up, so take a look :)

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

DTurtle posted:

It's ridiculous that Amazon has been taking these down. They spend money on this animation and it's only normally available to people who are watching the show anyways. This would be great advertising.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Amazon: Eh just pile the cels in the warehouse and set fire to them, that's what they did back in the day

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gully Foyle posted:

It's ridiculous that Amazon has been taking these down. They spend money on this animation and it's only normally available to people who are watching the show anyways. This would be great advertising.

At least make them a part of linked videos for visibility instead of being hidden away in X-ray.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Episode 5 spoiler:

This forsaken doll is spooky dream guy, right?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Any way to turn on subtitles for the animated shorts?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Reik posted:

Episode 5 spoiler:

Without saying yes or no, I will say those dolls aren't especially identifiable at first glance.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

That Italian Guy posted:

While this is generally true, you can really get something that stands out when you trust your audience more and the series is 100% "content" instead of being a primer to the world. See for example The Expanse S1, where most of the super dense world building oozes out of the scenes instead of having talking heads explain it for the benefit of the public.

I was actually specifically thinking of the Expanse, ha. I love that show, as should everyone, but it's hard to deny that a lot of people watch the first couple of episodes, have no idea what's happening, and shut it off. It never picked up the audience it deserved, and it was largely because it trusted its audience both to pay attention and also to be patient

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not at the moment I don't think, no. Someone complained to Rafe Judkins about that in the AMA thread he had on Reddit at least, and Rafe said he'd talk to Amazon about it and hopefully they'll sort it out.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Re: everyone not covered in poo poo, Rand and Mat are both dirty when they show up at Tar Valon as they've been walking for hundreds of miles and sleeping in barns or under bushes. Everyone else is with large groups that have resources and the ability to keep themselves and their clothing clean, even ignoring the Aes Sedai using the OP to do it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mat's "deathly pale" makeup was drat good.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The youtube list above has subtitles.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
e:.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

sweet geek swag posted:

Without saying yes or no, I will say those dolls aren't especially identifiable at first glance.
I thought the daedric princes were great! (Not sure why, but this is the first impression I got). It's nice to see that there is what seems to be an adversarial pantheon, given that usually there is one big bad with an inscrutable agenda beside "being evil/ruling over the world"...I like the fact that there are many and that they have distinct looks (and that they are somewhat known to the heroes). It makes for some interesting high tier antagonist (each with different motivations, personality and powers) down the line I guess.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

That Italian Guy posted:

I thought the daedric princes were great! (Not sure why, but this is the first impression I got). It's nice to see that there is what seems to be an adversarial pantheon, given that usually there is one big bad with an inscrutable agenda beside "being evil/ruling over the world"...I like the fact that there are many and that they have distinct looks (and that they are somewhat known to the heroes). It makes for some interesting high tier antagonist (each with different motivations, personality and powers) down the line I guess.

I like them, I'm just saying that I can't use them to identify characters currently because the features, while unique, do not correspond directly to features from the books that someone might be familiar with. I could guess at their identities, but it would be a guess.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
One thing I like in that whole scene is that Stepin's "I have to think clearly now" line (he says something similar at least) is very reminiscent of the kind of calm acceptance I'm told people who have committed to suicide exhibit.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Not even close to what I saw Loial looking like in my head

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Hamelekim posted:

I guess I'm dead inside because I found the funeral wailing and chest beating lame. Otherwise the episode was alright.

I think your reaction to this scene hinges on how much the show managed to make you care about the affected characters and to get immersed in the surrounding culture. I'm not blaming you for not liking that scene. For me, it just passed the threshold. There seems to be very little room for a middleground reaction to it.

On another topic: That travelling salesman surely has to be something special. I already wondered where he disappeared to in episode 1 when the Trollocs attacked. And now he seems unscathed.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

bou posted:

On another topic: That travelling salesman surely has to be something special. I already wondered where he disappeared to in episode 1 when the Trollocs attacked. And now he seems unscathed.
Yeah, and he had a weird smirk on his face then. Definitely not the reaction a regular tradesman would have when seeing a horde of monster attacking the settlement they're currently in.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

I like them, I'm just saying that I can't use them to identify characters currently because the features, while unique, do not correspond directly to features from the books that someone might be familiar with. I could guess at their identities, but it would be a guess.

You should check the book thread where you can see the discussion of identifiable features.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Has the TV show mentioned any of the Forsaken by name? I apparently wasn’t paying attention during that scene, because I can’t remember hearing any names while the statues were on-camera.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Stepin mentions that he wants to ward of Ishamael, Father of Lies, in particular, because he "needs to see clearly now" and "needs to see the truth". I think that's the only name given so far too.

Edit:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I get that it's not just grief, but magical grief, but you'll also magically feel better by getting under someone else so suck it up!

This isn't true, by the way. The note on it this episode says it's only a "belief" that it will save the Warders life among many Aes Sedai; not that it actually will, and definitely not that it will do so by making them feel better in any way. The more likely reason it saves their life is that it gives them a new purpose i.e. that they're now bonded to someone else and so feel the compulsion to save them. It doesn't negate any grief they have, and they'll still have to deal with that. The fact it's only a belief among Aes Sedai implies it doesn't always work though, and that even re-bonded Warders probably kill themselves on occasion. Which probably sucks for the Aes Sedai who placed him in a new bond. And presumably for any other Warders they have too, if they're of the Green Ajah.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 4, 2021

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

LegoMan posted:

Not even close to what I saw Loial looking like in my head

Where the wild things are.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DTurtle posted:

These are fantastic and really help me as a non book reader flesh things out. I wish they would have been easier to see before hand.

I’d watch a full series of them if they made them longer. They are really really good.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

There is an article having Daniel Henney's performance as Lan this week as performance of the week: https://tvline.com/2021/12/04/daniel-henney-performance-the-wheel-of-time-episode-5-lan/

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Reik posted:

Episode 5 spoiler:

I didn't see the dream guy cutting any sick riffs, so I dunno.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Reik posted:

Episode 5 spoiler:

Yes actually I think so. That's the one they said was Ishmel, right?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It was the one on the right here.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Yes actually I think so. That's the one they said was Ishmel, right?

Ishamael, star of Moaby-Dick; or the Wahite Wahal.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

For some stupid reason it really bothers me that the wolves are very obviously dogs. At least they could've tried to make them look bigger.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

anatomi posted:

For some stupid reason it really bothers me that the wolves are very obviously dogs. At least they could've tried to make them look bigger.

they're literally wolfdogs

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Yes, they're Czechoslovakian wolfdogs. But they're supposed to be wolves in the show.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

anatomi posted:

Real wolfs aren't bigger than dogs. Some dog breeds are bigger.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Turin Turambar posted:

Real wolfs aren't bigger than dogs. Some dog breeds are bigger.

It's also apparently impossible to accurately tell the difference between a wolf and a dog on things like sight, and experts have been proven wrong in court when pushed to try doing so for legal cases going by Google.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 4, 2021

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Wolves are bigger than most dog breeds. Don't be silly. They're definitely bigger than Czechoslovakian wolfdogs.

Edit: maybe they're supposed to be analogous to southern European wolves, which are the lovely versions of wolves. Immersion restored.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 4, 2021

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

anatomi posted:

Wolves are bigger than most dog breeds. Don't be silly. They're definitely bigger than Czechoslovakian wolfdogs.

not in wot-land. in wot-land wolves are smaller than irl.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Then how come Perrin is bigger than average? Gotcha.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

depends on the wolf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I knew they had to be wolfdogs, but I did a double take when first seeing them. I don't know about size, but the rest is indistinguishable from the wolves we have in Norway, even down to their posture. One of several reasons the breed is banned here I assume.