Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Oh hey, 72 new replies, wonder what new car they're talking about......

RE: motorcycles and other risk taking everyone has a personal risk tolerance, and mine is super low right now. I have children to raise and family to take care of. There is no way in hell I would ride a motorcycle around here in Texas. I have no issue trusting myself, but I can't trust people around here in their massive SUV's and brodozers to pay attention on the road. The motorcycle crash statistics here are not good. 1 in 4 get seriously injured, 1 in less than 20 die. To be fair though 50% of the people that died in 2020 didn't wear a helmet.

Anyway, everyone see Elon's new 1900 dollar powerwheel cyberquad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

KillHour posted:

To be fair, I did forbid her from becoming a DEA agent when we first started dating. I stand by that decision as morally correct.

If my wife decided to become law enforcement I'd divorce her and take the kids, house, everything, and wonder where I went wrong in the first place.

I don't have any of those things though so I guess it doesn't matter. I do have enough self-awareness to not get into bieks though, because I will kill myself, in a glorious display of excess speed and power.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

skipdogg posted:

RE: motorcycles and other risk taking everyone has a personal risk tolerance, and mine is super low right now. I have children to raise and family to take care of. There is no way in hell I would ride a motorcycle around here in Texas. I have no issue trusting myself, but I can't trust people around here in their massive SUV's and brodozers to pay attention on the road. The motorcycle crash statistics here are not good. 1 in 4 get seriously injured, 1 in less than 20 die. To be fair though 50% of the people that died in 2020 didn't wear a helmet.

You'd think he'd worry about getting the cars he promised released rather than branching out to kids toys.

E: Oh, it's actually made by Radio Flyer - just sucking the Tesla teet.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 3, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Aren't quads known for flipping over at low speed and breaking the rider's neck?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

KillHour posted:

Aren't quads known for flipping over at low speed and breaking the rider's neck?
Those were three wheelers and were banned a long time ago.

Edit: not saying quads can't have accidents, but the three wheeler ATVs were super dangerous even at low speeds.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

KillHour posted:

It's a toy.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KillHour posted:

Whew. Thankfully kids getting injured on quads isn't a thing!

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Residency Evil posted:

Whew. Thankfully kids getting injured on quads isn't a thing!

By that logic riding a bicycle can also lead you to breaking your neck. What's your point?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Rusty posted:

Those were three wheelers and were banned a long time ago.

Edit: not saying quads can't have accidents, but the three wheeler ATVs were super dangerous even at low speeds.

Fortnine had a video on this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_C8z0rFnjk

Spoiler, the same or more kids die on quads.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

travisray2004 posted:

By that logic riding a bicycle can also lead you to breaking your neck. What's your point?

Russian Bear beat me to it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Russian Bear posted:

Fortnine had a video on this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a_C8z0rFnjk

Spoiler, the same or more kids die on quads.
Got it, thanks.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Residency Evil posted:

Russian Bear beat me to it.

Most people die on quads going faster than 10mph. Know what this thing can't do? 11mph

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Lol motorcycles.
In highschool a classmate died in a crotchrocket accident. Shaved both hands down to nubs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, there is a happy medium of doing bike stuff on actual tracks to get your thrills and not try to seek them while going to the grocery store.

I mean, if people want to accept the risk, that's on them. There are just safe(er) outlets for the hobby and I don't see the need to have "maximum fun and thrills" driving 25mph through residential areas and from stoplight to stoplight on the business district to grab takeout for the night.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
:getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-A2x35ZmXU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Keyser_Soze posted:

How short are you? I rode one of these around an empty parking lot with my pops watching all the time when I was like 8 in 1976 :corsair:

I remember my grandparents giving my brother some little yamaha dirt bike when he was 4 or 5, and my grandfather just had a rope tied to the bike so he could ride in circles around him as the only safety when he taught him to ride it. I eventually took over that bike when i was 5 and he upgraded to a little honda 3 wheeler.

That little bike was such a blast as a kid riding trails though, no quad or 3 wheeler after was ever as fun as that dirt bike, and nothing ever seemed weird about it at all to me. That was the 90's, but I look at a 5 year old kid now as an adult and they seem so young, and the idea of just sending one off to go ride a dirt bike in the woods feels a little nuts.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
When I was an elementary kid in the late 80s/early 90s, I definitely remember reading stories about kids a little older than I am going off alone having adventures on dirt bikes. Things were different for sure.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

bull3964 posted:

I mean, there is a happy medium of doing bike stuff on actual tracks to get your thrills and not try to seek them while going to the grocery store.

I mean, if people want to accept the risk, that's on them. There are just safe(er) outlets for the hobby and I don't see the need to have "maximum fun and thrills" driving 25mph through residential areas and from stoplight to stoplight on the business district to grab takeout for the night.

The track closest to me is like a 2 hour drive away and their rules are basically "tow a dedicated track bike here on select days or gently caress off". Tracking a motorcycle may be less feasible than tracking a car.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The Escalade Sport with the cool black trim should not be $10k more than the Luxury and also not force a sunroof on you. And both should also include the Mag Ride and eLSD. :colbert:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

dk2m posted:

Seeing a guy on a bike wreck in front of me recently and nearly dying was hosed up enough that it’s my line in the sand. The margin for error is so low that I’ll stick with cars, but it’s really just other drivers that are more scary. I’ve tried like hell to convince my brother to give his bike up and I think he’s finally going to, I don’t want to lose him because someone in a Suburban is checking their phone
I rode for a couple years and the bike is in my garage still, but I gave it up 99% when I had my kid.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

FBS posted:

I mitigated as much risk as is practical but the only thing that spared me was just raw luck. https://youtu.be/xp2I421iktw

:shrug: I still ride, I love it, but it’s dangerous.
I liked the part where you looked over your shoulder and the car is just continuing along as if nothing happened.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

travisray2004 posted:

Most people die on quads going faster than 10mph. Know what this thing can't do? 11mph

Sure but that's not going to help when it self-drives itself into an oncoming truck

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm way too short for any dirt bike, I'm barely tall enough for this R3 I have now.

I guess there's cruisers, but I really don't want to be associated with Harley dudes.

https://youtube.com/shorts/sHm_wizutuA?feature=share

KillHour posted:

It could also take turns much faster than probably any car I own if I was skilled enough to do so.

Good chance you already know this but just to be safe, motorcycles can neither corner nor stop as fast as cars due to physics being an rear end in a top hat.

I always get sketched out when someone on a motorcycle is following me closely because in a panic stop situation your average shitbox whatever can out-stop an R1, let alone a Harley.

And speaking of Harleys, motorcycle fatality rates are goosed not so much by the squids on sport bikes but rather by the armies of old dentists and doctors taking their garage queen Harleys out with little or no rider training or gear. Also alcohol.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

travisray2004 posted:

I was in an F-150 and got rear ended and broke my neck literally everything can break your neck I recommend wearing an Aspen cervical collar at all times.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

full ATGATT complete with neck brace under the helmet while driving in my F-250 for maximum safety

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

full ATGATT complete with neck brace under the helmet while driving in my F-250 for maximum safety

Yeah have you seen how those things just fold up in a crash? woof.

Motorcycling is the safe option if you're gonna drive one of those shitheaps.

Hi derail, I've run several bikes to their deaths commuting and such. Across six figures of miles and a decade of holding an endorsement I've been hit twice, once on dirt and once on the street. Both were other motorcycles.
As was said. Wear your drat gear, ride within your and the condition's limits, ride defensively, work on your skills as a rider to become a better rider. Riding one weekend a month when its 70F and Sunny isn't gonna skill build. look for problems before they become problems. A car can out brake you, outhandle you, however you are invisible to them, that's a strength.
Urbanites: buy a low-cc supermoto, there's a reason why they're so spendy.

I quit riding regularly in 2020-2021 because the roads in the area became a free for all with driver attentiveness at an all time low. (coupled with moving out and not having a way to haul a bike)
I'll be resuming motos for 2022. gently caress this poo poo, I want my bike back.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

smooth jazz posted:

Lol motorcycles.
In highschool a classmate died in a crotchrocket accident. Shaved both hands down to nubs.

This fucks with me and I don't understand it. I have been riding for 15 years now and I still cringe every time I see someone riding without gloves. I'm bothered by lack of gear(or helmets in some states) in general but really its the lack of gloves that gets me the most. I had a lowside very early on thankfully it was at low speed and I was geared up. If I wasn't wearing gloves or full faced helmet I'd probably never rode a bike again after that.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

cursedshitbox posted:

I'll be resuming motos for 2022. gently caress this poo poo, I want my bike back.

yea when i think 'motorcycle' i'm thinking a dualsport style bike i can take out to trails

riding a leaderbike on the street is even stupider than buying a track-focused supercar for driving on the street

and on that note, GT3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF7jDHIAfL8

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Yeah its dualsport/adv for me. Hauls all, Does most. Multitool of bikes. Did my time on spine busters. As long as I can still squat those 600lb beasts they'll stay around. And when I can't, There's the GT3.

If it weren't for motos it would definitely be a Porsche in my life. Maybe someday I can have both at my future shop.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I've slid along the asphalt at 40 mph on my palms and kneecaps. I didn't hit my head at all or take any big hits, so I remember it all very clearly. I was actually able to steer/guide myself straight down the double yellow, between the cars. I had proper gear on so zero injuries. It was a pretty funny crash!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:mrwhite:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mid production, a bunch of extra running boards showed up instead of a grille and toyota was like "gently caress it, bolt them on!"

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Powershift posted:

Mid production, a bunch of extra running boards showed up instead of a grille and toyota was like "gently caress it, bolt them on!"

Mitch would be proud of you my friend

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Mitch would be proud of you my friend

I used to like Mitch Hedberg.

I still do, but i used to too.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Powershift posted:

You're suing for IP theft right???

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

Look at the size of that cheese grater.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Making good on my promise to write another essay about BMW and the XM:

So, funny thing about the XM is that the more I look at it, the less intense my hatred becomes. The overarching form factor (excluding the lumpy belt line), the general proportions, the stance, those aspects are not the worst. As a statement luxury performance SUV, I kinda get it, and with some work it could perhaps be more cool than repulsive. Then I remember that it's supposed to be a BMW and not, like, the Escalade's edgelord cousin and I start hating it again. I think that's the issue - I don't hate it that deeply as a car in general, I hate it as a BMW.

It just... doesn't feel like a BMW at all. As a fan of "old BMW", the XM and new designs in general are such a departure from what I understood BMW to be that I can't reconcile it. The car isn't the point anymore, it's just a vehicle (heh) for broadcasting the brand that they've redefined as being about experiencing the nouveau riche conception of luxury and waving your dick around instead of being about cool performance cars. I mean sure, they've been used as dickwavers for ages, but it was more of a side effect, not the entire point.

The best and strongest brands are built up slowly and organically and evolve over a long period of time. The BMWs of the 80's and 90's (the pinnacle, IMO) with their understated but extremely powerful design language and the mystique around them were a culmination of decades of evolution. They were Good Design and they were special. If you aspired to own one, it meant you were discerning, had good taste, and recognized how awesome they were. If you owned one, it meant that you were discerning, had good taste, and that you'd made it. There was an aspect of exclusivity and barrier to entry, kind of like with Harvard, where if you remove the barrier and the exclusivity, the spell is broken.

At some point around ten years ago, it seems that BMW started working to reposition its brand to reach beyond discerning boomer VPs and enthusiasts and draw in a new, younger, and larger customer base. So they basically did the equivalent of Harvard opening additional campuses, lowering their admissions standards, and licensing out their curriculum. The designs became noisy and hamfisted in order to make the cars "stand out", aka be easily recognizable to their less discerning new base. It's Populuxe now. Except the irony is that the design team isn't even good at it. Their own research found that only 20% of those surveyed actually liked the new grille on the 4-series. Buuut they're doubling down because they "aren't trying to please everybody" and have their heads stuck up their asses.

But then again, it really doesn't seem like they know what they're doing at all, other than displeasing 80% of their base with their huge dumb grilles. If you put all the series next to each other, it looks like a dissonant mess. The excuse is that they want each series to have a "distinct identity", but I call bullshit. It's like if Wüsthof gave each type of knife its own identity at the expense of the core brand. It seems counterproductive. The lack of cohesion between series as well as supposition that the design team is adrift came up in several of the design videos I watched. It really does feel like they're just throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks, or rather, what riles people up and draws the most attention.

Now back to the XM in particular. The devil is in the details here. Boiled down to its essence of form and vibe, it kinda works as a beastly luxury statement SUV (as long as you pretend it's not a BMW), but man, the loving details. While the general shape is okay, the lines are inorganic jagged garbage with no sense of flow, the whole angular look is very overwrought and reads more crumpled paper than tough/futuristic/whatever they were going for. Then of course you have that loving absurd grille, the squinty little headlights, the mess of superfluous folds and unresolved angles around the bumpers and backend, the weird stringy taillights, and the racing emblems on the back to serve as a cruel reminder that this is supposed to be a spiritual successor to the M1. If had to choose an animal to compare it to, I would choose the rhinoceros. It's powerful, aggressive, brutal, bulky, and lines up weirdly well: the XM has a honkin' big grill, much like the rhino's huge horn and big blunt snout, it has splayed-out beady little headlights, much like the rhino's wide-set, beady eyes, and even the crumpled paper angle overload is reminiscent of rhino skin with all its wrinkles and folds. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a rhino as your inspiration, but it seems more conducive to designing a rugged off-road SUV or armored assault vehicle than a BMW crossover.

The hideous grille has drawn tons of criticism, but the headlights might actually bother me more. Humans are hardwired to seek out faces in anything and everything. Knotholes in a tree arranged just so? Face. Electrical outlet? Face. Headlights on a car? Face. It's called pareidolia and is an evolutionary adaptation to help us quickly identify threats in animals and other humans. BMW used to be extremely good at playing into this trait to put a face on their cars that evoked a certain emotional response. I know old BMWs get compared to sharks a lot, but I always got a distinctly mammalian predator vibe from the calm but slightly unsettling way they glared at you. Like a wolf that was stalking you. Made you want to get behind the wheel of a BMW so that you could be the hunter instead of the hunted. Starting in the Bangle era, they threw this straight out the window and gave us cars with dopey, vacant, unfocused gazes. They kind of fixed it in some more recent models, but it's overwrought and cartoonish with the angry eyebrow running lights and poo poo, and given the direction the XM seems to be taking things, it'll no doubt get worse. Let's compare:

This BMW wants to eat your liver.

This BMW has poor eyesight. If you make any sudden movements, it may perceive you as a threat and charge.

Twenty years of decline right there. But I guess after the E39, which is about as close to perfect as you can get with a car, the only direction to go is down.

Tl;dr: BMW has sold out hard and their design is in a really bad, confused place and has been for a while. The XM feels very uncharacteristic of BMW (or at least the old BMW) and it's full of busy, incongruous elements. It looks like a rhino whereas old BMWs looked like predators. The E39 was the peak and it's been downhill ever since.

Anyways, thanks for coming to my TED talk. :v:

(But seriously, it's been fun and interesting following cars again. I went so long without having a car or even driving that my license lapsed and I just stopped noticing cars. Then this summer I bought my truck and suddenly started noticing cars and paying attention to them again. So I guess I'm making up for lost time.)

P.S. poo poo I forgot to talk about the digital instrument cluster. Maybe later. I am interested in researching it and instrument/dashboard digitization in general - I'm in UI/UX so it's very much in my wheelhouse.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Queen Victorian posted:

Making good on my promise to write another essay about BMW and the XM:

So, funny thing about the XM is that the more I look at it, the less intense my hatred becomes. The overarching form factor (excluding the lumpy belt line), the general proportions, the stance, those aspects are not the worst. As a statement luxury performance SUV, I kinda get it, and with some work it could perhaps be more cool than repulsive. Then I remember that it's supposed to be a BMW and not, like, the Escalade's edgelord cousin and I start hating it again. I think that's the issue - I don't hate it that deeply as a car in general, I hate it as a BMW.

It just... doesn't feel like a BMW at all. As a fan of "old BMW", the XM and new designs in general are such a departure from what I understood BMW to be that I can't reconcile it. The car isn't the point anymore, it's just a vehicle (heh) for broadcasting the brand that they've redefined as being about experiencing the nouveau riche conception of luxury and waving your dick around instead of being about cool performance cars. I mean sure, they've been used as dickwavers for ages, but it was more of a side effect, not the entire point.

The best and strongest brands are built up slowly and organically and evolve over a long period of time. The BMWs of the 80's and 90's (the pinnacle, IMO) with their understated but extremely powerful design language and the mystique around them were a culmination of decades of evolution. They were Good Design and they were special. If you aspired to own one, it meant you were discerning, had good taste, and recognized how awesome they were. If you owned one, it meant that you were discerning, had good taste, and that you'd made it. There was an aspect of exclusivity and barrier to entry, kind of like with Harvard, where if you remove the barrier and the exclusivity, the spell is broken.

At some point around ten years ago, it seems that BMW started working to reposition its brand to reach beyond discerning boomer VPs and enthusiasts and draw in a new, younger, and larger customer base. So they basically did the equivalent of Harvard opening additional campuses, lowering their admissions standards, and licensing out their curriculum. The designs became noisy and hamfisted in order to make the cars "stand out", aka be easily recognizable to their less discerning new base. It's Populuxe now. Except the irony is that the design team isn't even good at it. Their own research found that only 20% of those surveyed actually liked the new grille on the 4-series. Buuut they're doubling down because they "aren't trying to please everybody" and have their heads stuck up their asses.

But then again, it really doesn't seem like they know what they're doing at all, other than displeasing 80% of their base with their huge dumb grilles. If you put all the series next to each other, it looks like a dissonant mess. The excuse is that they want each series to have a "distinct identity", but I call bullshit. It's like if Wüsthof gave each type of knife its own identity at the expense of the core brand. It seems counterproductive. The lack of cohesion between series as well as supposition that the design team is adrift came up in several of the design videos I watched. It really does feel like they're just throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks, or rather, what riles people up and draws the most attention.

Now back to the XM in particular. The devil is in the details here. Boiled down to its essence of form and vibe, it kinda works as a beastly luxury statement SUV (as long as you pretend it's not a BMW), but man, the loving details. While the general shape is okay, the lines are inorganic jagged garbage with no sense of flow, the whole angular look is very overwrought and reads more crumpled paper than tough/futuristic/whatever they were going for. Then of course you have that loving absurd grille, the squinty little headlights, the mess of superfluous folds and unresolved angles around the bumpers and backend, the weird stringy taillights, and the racing emblems on the back to serve as a cruel reminder that this is supposed to be a spiritual successor to the M1. If had to choose an animal to compare it to, I would choose the rhinoceros. It's powerful, aggressive, brutal, bulky, and lines up weirdly well: the XM has a honkin' big grill, much like the rhino's huge horn and big blunt snout, it has splayed-out beady little headlights, much like the rhino's wide-set, beady eyes, and even the crumpled paper angle overload is reminiscent of rhino skin with all its wrinkles and folds. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using a rhino as your inspiration, but it seems more conducive to designing a rugged off-road SUV or armored assault vehicle than a BMW crossover.

The hideous grille has drawn tons of criticism, but the headlights might actually bother me more. Humans are hardwired to seek out faces in anything and everything. Knotholes in a tree arranged just so? Face. Electrical outlet? Face. Headlights on a car? Face. It's called pareidolia and is an evolutionary adaptation to help us quickly identify threats in animals and other humans. BMW used to be extremely good at playing into this trait to put a face on their cars that evoked a certain emotional response. I know old BMWs get compared to sharks a lot, but I always got a distinctly mammalian predator vibe from the calm but slightly unsettling way they glared at you. Like a wolf that was stalking you. Made you want to get behind the wheel of a BMW so that you could be the hunter instead of the hunted. Starting in the Bangle era, they threw this straight out the window and gave us cars with dopey, vacant, unfocused gazes. They kind of fixed it in some more recent models, but it's overwrought and cartoonish with the angry eyebrow running lights and poo poo, and given the direction the XM seems to be taking things, it'll no doubt get worse. Let's compare:

This BMW wants to eat your liver.

This BMW has poor eyesight. If you make any sudden movements, it may perceive you as a threat and charge.

Twenty years of decline right there. But I guess after the E39, which is about as close to perfect as you can get with a car, the only direction to go is down.

Tl;dr: BMW has sold out hard and their design is in a really bad, confused place and has been for a while. The XM feels very uncharacteristic of BMW (or at least the old BMW) and it's full of busy, incongruous elements. It looks like a rhino whereas old BMWs looked like predators. The E39 was the peak and it's been downhill ever since.

Anyways, thanks for coming to my TED talk. :v:

(But seriously, it's been fun and interesting following cars again. I went so long without having a car or even driving that my license lapsed and I just stopped noticing cars. Then this summer I bought my truck and suddenly started noticing cars and paying attention to them again. So I guess I'm making up for lost time.)

P.S. poo poo I forgot to talk about the digital instrument cluster. Maybe later. I am interested in researching it and instrument/dashboard digitization in general - I'm in UI/UX so it's very much in my wheelhouse.

Excellent post and super interesting to read because what you say sequences out my grievances with BMWs but also most new cars in general. It's probably what really bothers me about BMWs now is I know they have no idea what they are doing, I know they know it too but nobody is calling them out on it. Volvo? They know what they are doing because their current designs rule (and I'm not just saying that because we bought one, we bought one because I feel this is true). Hyundai's new direction with the Telluride is ultra-distinct and isn't confused with anything else. Ford's Bronco obviously has care and attention put into its design, and its clear as a company they really put in effort to make it work.
BMW? Burning their goodwill for short-term gains that's currently doing incredible damage to what BMW built up all those decades.
Lamborghini with their new Countach is much the same.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Wheeee posted:

https://youtube.com/shorts/sHm_wizutuA?feature=share

Good chance you already know this but just to be safe, motorcycles can neither corner nor stop as fast as cars due to physics being an rear end in a top hat.

I always get sketched out when someone on a motorcycle is following me closely because in a panic stop situation your average shitbox whatever can out-stop an R1, let alone a Harley.

While tailgating is always stupid, it's slightly less bad than it might look. On the average bike, you can look over the average car, so the rider can see if the vehicle in front of you brakes at the same time as you see it.

The smart rider uses that as an extra safety factor, not as an excuse to sit on your bumper...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

That guy rules, but I wonder how many times he's dropped his bike before he could do what he does.

Also I'm glad you used the audio-less version. The original had the rear end in a top hat filming and his kid mocking the guy.