Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

All the evidence seems to be that being vaxxed and having a single booster keeps thing either asymptomatic or mild, and that the majority of cases reported in vaccinated people in hospitals in SA are like some dude comes for something else and tests positive as a part of routine checks even though they're asymptomatic

We don't have evidence yet. The only thing we know at this point is that it has a pretty strong immune evasion concerning previous infection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

he's single boys & girls

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i admire that guy's hustle for getting @willsmith as a verified account

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pryor on Fire posted:

Doctors are fleeing the mildly rich to get higher paid jobs in concierge medical serviceshttps://twitter.com/willsmith/status/1467176342491832330

Another successful market.

Health care is already a subscription service via insurance so it's really cool that now we're making it a subscription on top of a subscription.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

genericnick posted:

We don't have evidence yet. The only thing we know at this point is that it has a pretty strong immune evasion concerning previous infection.

That's not what the science furry said

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Morbus posted:

he's single boys & girls

Somebody please make onlyshutins.com where all pics must be done wearing a n95 or better.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

jinx_player posted:

Sure as poo poo not Covid

ah ah ah not non-omicron COVID

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Elea posted:

It's a bucket full of stakes my gf is to going to hammer into the seabed to study an area of aquatic plants

Reminder that omicron-delta is coming (maybe)

What the

How? Is she snorkeling next to your kayak? That's incredible

Also what body of water do you have an inflatable kayak on, is that the ocean somewhere ?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

as bad as things are, can we post cool animals anyhow

because I'm sure they all have loving covid too

Post all the pets you want just don't D&D post.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

as bad as things are, can we post cool animals anyhow

because I'm sure they all have loving covid too

here u go

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
mild covid, fire covid, diablo covid. has anyone said this yet

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Very van halenishly:

/love in a respirator/

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Thoguh posted:

Health care is already a subscription service via insurance so it's really cool that now we're making it a subscription on top of a subscription.

When my wife calls her pcp because she’s sick they often don’t have appointments for weeks. What’s the purpose then if you can’t go see them when you’re actually sick?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Very van halenishly:

/love in a respirator/

i think you mean Air-lessSmith

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Thoguh posted:

i legit didn't know that was a d&d thing, i did it because i see people do it here sometimes, and also because my cat is a supermodel >=(

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

What the

How? Is she snorkeling next to your kayak? That's incredible

Also what body of water do you have an inflatable kayak on, is that the ocean somewhere ?

Yeah she's scubaing next to me (safely) and we're in the ocean off Baja California. No waves on this side of the peninsula

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

Salt Fish posted:

Very van halenishly:

/love in a respirator/

That’s Aerosmith, rear end in a top hat.

jinx_player
Aug 25, 2018

I don’t mean that

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Van halen and aerosmith are the same band.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

genericnick posted:

We have no data yet on, what was it called?, serum evasion? And no real population level data on how likely it gets highly vaxxed people.

There's a lot of data on how an accumulation of RBD mutations can evade polyclonal antibodies in vaccinated or convalescent serum. That's part of why omicron was strongly suspected of immune evasion from the beginning.

We don't have too much population level data yet, but from what we do have in South Africa, it's pretty clear that there is a large growth advantage relative to delta. Explaining that growth advantage through e.g. larger R0 leads to some very implausible scenarios that are not consistent with our existing knowledge of CoV2 (e.g. insane R0 > 20 for totally unclear reasons). On the other hand, the growth advantage is very consistent with a "normal" R0 and immune escape in the range of 30-80%, and this is very in line with what our prior knowledge would suggest.

SA consists of a highly convalescent (but not highly vaccinated) population. There, imo, are not many good reasons to expect a highly vaccinated population to present a fundamentally different immunological challenge to the virus, but in any case early data from the UK and elsewhere suggest a similar situation as in SA...we'll have to wait and see.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Salt Fish posted:

Very van halenishly:

/love in a respirator/

this makes me so angry!!

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Salt Fish posted:

Extremely wrong and dumb

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

papa horny michael posted:

mild covid, fire covid, diablo covid. has anyone said this yet

the minions of Covid grow stronger

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Guns n' Roses look great

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I like wearing the 3M Aura when I have to get the door since it's much quicker to put on than my elastomeric, and obviously easier to speak to people in. Plus for when I have to go to doctor's offices and stuff for similar reasons and being intelligible when I speak.
Do notice that it seems to be leaking from the bottom a bit today though when I put it on to get the door. All the other N95s I've had issues with air escaping from the top, here it seems to seep out the bottom by my chin when I exhale. What's a good fix?

It's weird how I can get a great seal with elastomerics, but seem to struggle with N95s.

AOCIA
Nov 29, 2021

by sebmojo
GnR, Van Halen, Motley Crue and Aerosmith are all actually the same (terrible) band

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Morbus posted:

There's a lot of data on how an accumulation of RBD mutations can evade polyclonal antibodies in vaccinated or convalescent serum. That's part of why omicron was strongly suspected of immune evasion from the beginning.

We don't have too much population level data yet, but from what we do have in South Africa, it's pretty clear that there is a large growth advantage relative to delta. Explaining that growth advantage through e.g. larger R0 leads to some very implausible scenarios that are not consistent with our existing knowledge of CoV2 (e.g. insane R0 > 20 for totally unclear reasons). On the other hand, the growth advantage is very consistent with a "normal" R0 and immune escape in the range of 30-80%, and this is very in line with what our prior knowledge would suggest.

SA consists of a highly convalescent (but not highly vaccinated) population. There, imo, are not many good reasons to expect a highly vaccinated population to present a fundamentally different immunological challenge to the virus, but in any case early data from the UK and elsewhere suggest a similar situation as in SA...we'll have to wait and see.

how many horseman of the apocalypse are we at?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

cr0y posted:

Which vaccine did the norway super spreaders have?

pfizer or moderna

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

thalweg posted:

Extremely wrong and dumb

oh sorry they meant the same bland

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Nothus posted:

What if 2020 covid but more contagious and no NPI and even less enthusiasm for vaccination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CUIx88Inns

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Nonsense posted:

Guns n' Roses look great

Wow which one is the singer!? People never look like what you think. Gotta be the hat guy

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I made a comment on Reddit about how people should really dig deep into the data coming out of South Africa and Norway and the other spots and basically just laid out what we know so far and ho boy did I get down voted to the center of the Earth

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Wang Commander posted:

What's the super hiv?

i think that tweet from someone who mutated the spike of omicron and found it would bind stronger to ACE2 than any antibody we could create. the implication being if it got in a human there is no way its immune system could clear the virus--it would happily replicate and the immune system would fail to kill it. it would just go and go until dumb luck makes it stop or it has destroyed enough important cells in likely your lungs that you're dead

edit: to be clear though this is something that requires more mutation. so it's possible but not happening with omicron... yet

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Thoguh posted:

oh hey that reminds me

fun new thing at the local cheese shop, which is a very small store / restaurant and always packed with people

absolutely zero masks by all patrons; all staff have masks, but dangling by one ear.... until they see you walk in with your n95, and then they immediately all put their masks back on. even if they aren't talking with you or anywhere near you. policy is if a single customer is wearing a mask, all staff wear a mask, but that happens maybe once or twice a day

it was the most absurd theater I have seen in a very very long time, but also at heart earnestly trying?

anyway, shits hosed and they're all going to get omi cheesed by next week

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

big strong immune expert is single, ladies!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

no lube so what posted:

how many horseman of the apocalypse are we at?

pestilence
war
famine
wild beasts

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

cr0y posted:

I made a comment on Reddit about how people should really dig deep into the data coming out of South Africa and Norway and the other spots and basically just laid out what we know so far and ho boy did I get down voted to the center of the Earth

You can point out that we should be operating under the worst assumptions and get upvoted but god forbid you say what they might be.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Shyfted One posted:

Monoclonal stuff is useless now? I thought it was somewhat effective if administered soon after infection.

The 2 owners of a similar company to ours, both boosted and in NJ, have COVID now and got monoclonal antibodies. I would very much like for them to be ok.

the mutations in omicron are expected to render the monoclonals useless. if it evades vaccines it almost certainly evades those treatments too.

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

Soap Scum posted:

i legit didn't know that was a d&d thing, i did it because i see people do it here sometimes, and also because my cat is a supermodel >=(
she is a very pretty kitty, please tell her that I wrote in the newspaper that she was pretty.

the main difference between here and there is just that people don’t need to go scramble and find some random animal picture just to be allowed to talk about the state of the world here.

please unapologetically post your cattes, post your dogs, post your plants, post your knitted scarves, post the shivs you’ve carved from your enemies’ bones, whatever helps you feel connected with people here. that’s different than a “fur tax” though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elea
Oct 10, 2012