Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Local Weather posted:

It's because talking about food is harmless, like talking about the weather. You don't have to worry about offending people or causing some kind of familial rift talking about the BBQ place across town or where to get good tacos. It's like sports or the weather.

IDK, food is pretty deeply cultural and can be a cause of conflict. E.g. a lot of people get annoyed by food snobs, food snobs find eating normal food just unbearable, living with a significant other who has very different opinions than you about food commonly leads to disaster, etc.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 14:19 on Dec 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Eating is fun and fun owns.

"Beep boop I don't get why people like food, I probably vote libertarian. I'm a huge burden on my friends and family."

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

3D Megadoodoo posted:

New to the Internet?

I mean I know in this day and age virtually any topic can tear families apart and lead to generations of bloodshed but in general food is a safe topic

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

"No, nothing's wrong. I'm just not eating because I prefer Kansas City style. The bread and pickles are good though."

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Aramek posted:

Eating is fun and fun owns.

"Beep boop I don't get why people like food, I probably vote libertarian. I'm a huge burden on my friends and family."

Eating is fun, talking about eating, less so

And hey I’m not a libertarian at all

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
For twelve years you've been asking "Who is Guy Fieri"

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't even eat food
I suspect people talk about it because everyone is guaranteed to have some opinion. With sports, well some people just don't care. Weather, some are just oblivious. With food it's pretty easy to find a debate, friendly or otherwise, because most people have some food related event happening five to forty times a week.

If an average American eats one ton of food each year, there's a lot to talk about.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Food is one of the most interesting topics for conversation

Trust me no one cares about your predictable political opinions or your dumb nerd hobbies except you, but literally everyone you talk to likes food and has an interesting history with it

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

Only swift executions.

i know this is in jest but, anyone who wants capital punishment can be the first ones on the chopping block. Same for the "lost at sea" scenario. First person to bring up cannibalism can be the victim, since they liked the idea so much to bring it up

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

alexandriao posted:

i know this is in jest but, anyone who wants capital punishment can be the first ones on the chopping block. Same for the "lost at sea" scenario. First person to bring up cannibalism can be the victim, since they liked the idea so much to bring it up

What if I'm cool with survival cannibalism but not with murder, and then someone else dies before I do?

Checkmate.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah it's only any food that an American eats that magically becomes instantaneously uninteresting.

I make karjalanpiirakka and lihapiirakka every Christmas. Where is your god now?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

I make karjalanpiirakka and lihapiirakka every Christmas. Where is your god now?

wherever he is, he doesn't like finns or yoopers

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I thought he was a finn.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

alexandriao posted:

The correct way is to draw lots

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Then who the heck is gonna make our flat pack furniture smart guy?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Inherited wealth is fundamentally unjust by definition and leads to inequality and the formation of a ruling class.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

doverhog posted:

Inherited wealth is fundamentally unjust by definition and leads to inequality and the formation of a ruling class.

(Obviously)

thetoughestbean posted:

Talking about food is extremely boring. I do not understand why people spend so long talking about what foods are the best and where and when they had them.

Food is good (when it's good) and if you don't eat it you die.

Also there's huge variations in food between cultures but also a lot of stuff that's like nearly universal or at least very widespread which us fun.
So it's relatable.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Dec 3, 2021

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Eating some sausages stuffed with cheese atm and yeah food is pretty good.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

doverhog posted:

Eating some sausages stuffed with cheese atm and yeah food is pretty good.

ARE YOU ROLLIN CHEESE?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's more like it's incorporated into the stuffing, so it oozes out. Not really sure about the process but no core of cheese like Novedad there has.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

ARE YOU ROLLIN CHEESE?

They see me rollin’, they hatin’, patrollin’, and tryna catch me ridin’ cheesy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Everyone with taste likes King of the Hill, but you really do need to be from Texas to understand

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Most people who think they have imposter syndrome don't actually have imposter syndrome. They actually genuinely don't deserve their status, position, or wealth.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Impostor syndrome isn't really about wealth or status, it's about competence. It's funny, or sad, if you ever read an article about a subject you actually know about, how quickly you will notice it is full of errors or omissions.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I for example care about global warming, but absolutely no Finnish article about the US goes into how their politics are broken and regardless of which party has the White House they will never pass any real change, because they are all corrupted by donor money.

I have to learn this from US channels talking about it for a US audience. This is an example of where I have more competence than the people writing for Finnish newspapers, or I guess have a different agenda. :shrug:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Imposter syndrome isn't when you think someone else is an imposter.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's amogus syndrome

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Gaius Marius posted:

The correct way is to draw lots

Nah. If the person wants to do cannibalism so much then they must be fine with being eaten. The calculation is the same either way, someone dies to feed the others, if you don't like it, then you admit that is a lovely calculation and therefore you shouldn't suggest it.

christmas boots posted:

What if I'm cool with survival cannibalism but not with murder, and then someone else dies before I do?

Checkmate.

If someone dies before you do then they either starved to death, if so they're so emaciated that there's basically no food on em, or (more likely) an illness got them. Let us not also forget prions and all that jazz. Either way is incredibly bad :P

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sometimes they die from trauma, like that plane that crashed in the mountains of Chile. That's the good eatin'.

Other times, they die from lead poisoning from surviving on lead cans of mystery meat, and their idiot 19th-century comrades eat their lead-filled flesh. That is the bad eatin'.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
eating your already dead companion to live is regrettable but fine, it honestly doesn't even need to be discussed much beyond "how are we going to cook this corpse". What gets me frustrated is when people (in fiction or whatever) open the discussion IMMEDIATELY upon getting stranded when they could feel fine for at least 3 days eating absolutely nothing and really live much longer beyond that on just water alone.

Jokerpilled Drudge has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Dec 4, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Picard is far and away the most boring Star Trek captain.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that Geordie and Ro Laren getting turned intangible is the only good TNG episode.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:57 on Dec 4, 2021

doverhog
May 31, 2013

You go too far.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

eating your already dead companion to live is regrettable but fine, it honestly doesn't even need to be discussed much beyond "how are we going to cook this corpse". What gets me frustrated is when people (in fiction or whatever) open the discussion IMMEDIATELY upon getting stranded when they could feel fine for at least 3 days eating absolutely nothing and really live much longer beyond that on just water alone.

It really depends on the climate. If you're on an uninhabited tropical island or something, that meat is going to go bad fast. You'd be much better off eating the dead first and saving whatever packaged food you have with you for later.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Imposter syndrome isn't when you think someone else is an imposter.

Sure it's not, "Gripweed"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

It really depends on the climate. If you're on an uninhabited tropical island or something, that meat is going to go bad fast. You'd be much better off eating the dead first and saving whatever packaged food you have with you for later.

Gonna be real embarrassing if you get saved a couple days later though and have to explain why you ate Bob without even touching the trail mix

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

christmas boots posted:

Gonna be real embarrassing if you get saved a couple days later though and have to explain why you ate Bob without even touching the trail mix

I think people would understand if I explained that it was the prudent option.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

christmas boots posted:

I think they'd understand if you told them Bob was delicious. Offer them leftovers.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Picard is far and away the most boring Star Trek captain.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that Geordie and Ro Laren getting turned intangible is the only good TNG episode.

counterpoint: Picard works better as a counter to Q than other captains.

Rainbow Knight has a new favorite as of 22:34 on Dec 4, 2021

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Picard is the perfect man. Gentle and strong. A philosopher and a lover, but willing to use violence if the Romulans beg for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Rainbow Knight posted:

counterpoint: Picard works better as a counter to Q than other captains.

This is a flaw in Q, not anything to do with captains.