Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I almost wish I was in florida because I feel like joining this florida militia thing for a few
months and then leaking the hilarity to propublica or buzzfeed would be a good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Now I need the english scientific context for those words

Horst and graben are geology terms. Not sure about the other two.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

https://twitter.com/LarryWDIVLocal4/status/1467052796302307333

So apparently they got someone to let them into an art studio and hid them there, great job at roping more people into their ball of stupidity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Now I need the english scientific context for those words

The implications are clear.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Horst and graben are geology terms. Not sure about the other two.

They are, also. Tectonic geomorphology.

The klippe, fenster, (and nappe) are hard to explain without also explaining thrust faulting and defining allochthon and autochthon, but here's a picture:

Horst and graben are related to extensional faulting, where the crust spreads apart:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

They are, also. Teutonic geomorphology.

The klippe, fenster, (and nappe) are hard to explain without also explaining thrust faulting and defining allochthon and autochthon, but here's a picture:

Horst and graben are related to extensional faulting, where the crust spreads apart:

Ftfy

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

What great fortune he tripped and fell on a tube of lube beforehand

A photo of the shell has now been release - that would make your eyes water,

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Baconroll posted:

A photo of the shell has now been release - that would make your eyes water,

Flared bases, people!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Crumbley arraignment being aired right now.

Why is that person wearing BDUs? In the butt mortar pic.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Its one of the Army bomb disposal people apparantely. Would have been more fun if they had to use a guy in the full bomb suit to 'extract' it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It’s not even fist width. What a baby.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's no Great American Challenge, that's for sure.

Baconroll posted:

Its one of the Army bomb disposal people apparantely. Would have been more fun if they had to use a guy in the full bomb suit to 'extract' it.

That makes sense, I was assuming it was some city/county/state bomb squad guy playing dress-up.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

“Cut-rate Kirk Johnson meets EOD” has a little bit of Chuck Tingle energy to it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Stultus Maximus posted:

They are, also. Tectonic geomorphology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkELENdZukI

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I note with some dismay that the diagrams used to prove this point say "window" instead of "fenster"

But yes these foreign language geology terms are fun. I love that when it turns to glacial geomorphology, all the words turn French

moulin, arete, cirque, roche moutonnee (sheepy-lookin rock lol)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

US Berder Patrol posted:

I note with some dismay that the diagrams used to prove this point say "window" instead of "fenster"

But yes these foreign language geology terms are fun. I love that when it turns to glacial geomorphology, all the words turn French

moulin, arete, cirque, roche moutonnee (sheepy-lookin rock lol)

How about Gaelic? Kame, esker, drumlin

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Stultus Maximus posted:

How about Gaelic? Kame, esker, drumlin

True! Seems like it's French for glaciated mountains* and Scottish gaelic for ice sheet landscapes**.

Probably Norse* and words from arctic dwelling indigenous people**, too, depending on proximity between mountains and ocean.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Not BDUs- Multicam/Osprey/Scorpion.

I love camo poo poo- my wife got me a woobie smoking jacket in multicam.

"Sorry it's that camo- it was the only one available before Christmas! Is that a real camo? You don't own anything in it."
"Yeah, it's real. Called Multicam. I don't own anything but some pouches in it."
"Why?"
"Not a fan. And people are gonna be real mad when everyone shows up to the party dressed the same.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I know I've seen multicam before but I guess the lighting is throwing me. I don't mind multicam, but I don't own any. Think the only camo I wear regularly is a pair of shorts that are patchwork and camo is like, 1/12th of the patterns. They're thrashed though, need to fix some gaping holes, but they're patch shorts so I can use whatever I have laying around.

My ACU ALICE ruck is still my hiking pack though.

E: and my extremely filthy dcu pattern patch hat that still sports the domestic cannabis eradication/suppression program 420 blaze it patch, which is also filthy.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 4, 2021

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Multicam black is awesome. Otherwise M81 or Coyote Brown all the way.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Best Friends posted:

The Dems keep going right in part because they correctly surmise that their so-called left wing will follow them.
The Dems are objectively much further to the left than they were in the 90s, they just keep putting up candidates that are on the centrist side of their internal spectrum. Biden's rhetoric and policy has been to the left of Obama on a swathe of issues. That's not to say that anyone should stop pushing for more, just to not let hating on liberals take up all your time and energy while right-wingers are actively undermining liberal democracy.

Arven posted:

Also all you neolibs complaining about cspam and d&d need to take a look around you- this is one of the last neolib safe spaces on the forum.
Who ITT is a "neoliberal" and how exactly would you define the term?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Much further left and still did nothing to raise the federal minimum wage, codify abortion rights or pass any voter protection laws while in control of the government. Is the right undermining democracy? Yes. Is the Democratic party doing much to stop them? I can't answer that because I have been told I'm a doomer who doesn't appreciate lanyard culture therefore I'm not objective and realistic.

Is there any argument for voting for the establishment Dems that get put up besides the other side is that much worse? We can do what we can locally but beyond that they're really, really not showing any will to change poo poo and being told it's a moral imperative to vote for them despite that because conservatives mega bad is just loving whack. I'm getting tired of punching the ticket for these people despite them being unable to change key policy points they run on while in charge.

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 4, 2021

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Voting is stupid and pointless but posting memes at the same captive audience of liberal dicksucks? That's praxis :jerkbag: :jerkbag:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Discussing things on discussion forum wow how cringe you have owned me

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Too late anyway imo, I think the last chance was either the Dems to do something with this anti-trump wave or for another Trump term to shake them out of doing almost nothing. I’m hoping the upcoming disaster in 2022 and 2024 shakes them out of complacency and being de-facto enablers for the far right but I’m worried that ship already sailed without things getting unavoidably worse.

I strongly regret voting for Biden at this point. He’s done nothing whatsoever domestically and just let the GOP strategy play out perfectly

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

maffew buildings posted:

Is there any argument for voting for the establishment Dems that get put up besides the other side is that much worse?

Not really. Vote for the progressive candidates when they are available, vote for the establishment otherwise because at least they are a tiny bandaid on the gaping wounds the right is inflicting

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/skepticalspice/status/1467055081300312068?s=20

Also uhhhhhhh NOT GREAT
https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/1467195911193468933?s=20

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Not really. Vote for the progressive candidates when they are available, vote for the establishment otherwise because at least they are a tiny bandaid on the gaping wounds the right is inflicting

It is just very upsetting when they have a tourniquet, med kit and transport to a hospital right there and decide to put a band aid on the gaping wounds. The liberal culture (out here in urban CA at least) of attacking someone for saying that the establishment reps should do something more than the the band aid because the GOP is ghoulishly evil (NO poo poo), while you are still voting straight ticket Dem every time is exasperating and doesn't give me much hope for any cultural shift within the party as younger people come up.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Too late anyway imo, I think the last chance was either the Dems to do something with this anti-trump wave or for another Trump term to shake them out of doing almost nothing. I’m hoping the upcoming disaster in 2022 and 2024 shakes them out of complacency and being de-facto enablers for the far right but I’m worried that ship already sailed without things getting unavoidably worse.

I strongly regret voting for Biden at this point. He’s done nothing whatsoever domestically and just let the GOP strategy play out perfectly

The upcoming disasters in 2022 and 2024 will be unavoidable because the establishment Dems refuse to even try protect voter rights and whether or not it shakes them out of complacency is irrelevant because the GOP has secured one party rule for the foreseeable future through voter suppression, gerrymandering, and control of the judiciary.
It's over and it's a shame nobody will at least smack Manchin and his enablers in the face with a shovel.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Much further left and still did nothing to raise the federal minimum wage, codify abortion rights or pass any voter protection laws while in control of the government. Is the right undermining democracy? Yes. Is the Democratic party doing much to stop them? I can't answer that because I have been told I'm a doomer who doesn't appreciate lanyard culture therefore I'm not objective and realistic.

Is there any argument for voting for the establishment Dems that get put up besides the other side is that much worse? We can do what we can locally but beyond that they're really, really not showing any will to change poo poo and being told it's a moral imperative to vote for them despite that because conservatives mega bad is just loving whack. I'm getting tired of punching the ticket for these people despite them being unable to change key policy points they run on while in charge.

I feel like you've said this a dozen times and I have yet to see this crowd of cyber bullies calling you a doomer

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Pure imperialist NATO propaganda! Russia not massing on Ukraine border, Ukraine massing on Russia border!! Russia cannot tolerate this aggression, Russia attack!!! :ussr:

fwiw it's probably just expensive posturing intended to extract concessions and destabilize

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah it’s just weird to see how obvious the GOP voter suppression, judicial takeover and opposition party strategy is and the Dems to just roll over and play right into it while whining about how AOC and Bernie voters almost cost them the election.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

I feel like you've said this a dozen times and I have yet to see this crowd of cyber bullies calling you a doomer

You may find this hard to believe but there is a world outside of the forums and I have been dumb enough to go engage with people in it over the years

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What does "are a Russian lives a strategic feint" mean?

maffew buildings posted:

You may find this hard to believe but there is a world outside of the forums and I have been dumb enough to go engage with people in it over the years

OK dude so why whine about it here

Everyone outside the forums calls me smart and handsome BTW

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

The Dems are objectively much further to the left than they were in the 90s, they just keep putting up candidates that are on the centrist side of their internal spectrum. Biden's rhetoric and policy has been to the left of Obama on a swathe of issues.

You're saying they're to the left because they put stuff in their websites and occasional speeches that they then don't do. This is because their voters are more left, or at least think they are, but their voters also so far are perfectly content to not actually get anything left.

I do not care what is on Joe biden's website, and I was completely correct to assume he wouldn't actually want to do any of it. Actual policy that national democrats actually do is not more left. Clinton, right wing devil he is, tried to get universal healthcare going. We just had two presidential primaries about universal health care and it lost hard, both times, with the establishment now universally against it in all actual practice. Biden went so far as to say that if Congress actually passed Medicare for all, he'd veto it. The biggest part of the supposedly left BBB is a tax cut for the wealthy, while the vaunted pre k is all but designed to not actually be adopted.

Your argument really is that what appears in rhetoric matters more than any reality. That's politics as fandom. The supposed mature politics understanders who predicted Joe would be FDR 2 have been completely owned on all their predictions, and that hasn't affected their world view at all, because they don't actually care about policy, they just like the soap opera.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

OK dude so why whine about it here

Everyone outside the forums calls me smart and handsome BTW

It is exposition so you know I haven't watched the west wing and therefore anything I say is suspect. Also I call you smart and handsome here just not where you have been able to read it, btw

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

maffew buildings posted:

It is just very upsetting when they have a tourniquet, med kit and transport to a hospital right there and decide to put a band aid on the gaping wounds. The liberal culture (out here in urban CA at least) of attacking someone for saying that the establishment reps should do something more than the the band aid because the GOP is ghoulishly evil (NO poo poo), while you are still voting straight ticket Dem every time is exasperating and doesn't give me much hope for any cultural shift within the party as younger people come up.

I completely agree, but the alternative is accelerationism, and frankly I am one of the people who probably wouldn't survive the first year of total breakdown because I would be targeted by so many people

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

To be fair I feel like I've seen people get called doomers in the current events thread every time this topic crops up.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 4, 2021

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

RFC2324 posted:

I completely agree, but the alternative is accelerationism, and frankly I am one of the people who probably wouldn't survive the first year of total breakdown because I would be targeted by so many people

we're accelerating regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Proud Christian Mom posted:

we're accelerating regardless

I don't expect to die peacefully, but I wish people ostensibly on my side wouldn't be cheering for it