Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

quote:

Norway is reporting 73.8% of sales last month coming from all-electric vehicles, and the number goes up to 94.9% when adding all vehicles with batteries:

https://electrek.co/2021/12/03/norway-again-shows-all-electric-car-future-closer-than-people-think/

I wonder if that number couldn't be even higher if EV deliveries weren't so constrained. Like I've thought so many times before, it's really starting to pick up the pace. Earlier it was perhaps easier to argue against, "oh it's only 5%, only 10%, only 20%". Which is about where Germany is now. Even if that market is much bigger, EVs in general are so much better and the idea of EVs as practically usable more widely accepted now, so their pace up to 70+% might not be much slower. Sooner or later we can look back at this time with nostalgia, when EVs were a cool, risky choice and not just simply a normal car.

My neighborhood has a few parking garages owned by the municipality, some of the spots have charging but most are taken. I got my plate today (in the registration database that is) so I could apply for a spot, which was easily sorted with a few emails. With the sales numbers it's only a question of time before they are full. It's a 7 minute walk from my house according to Google, so not perfectly ideal. But we are moving to a new place in March with a basement garage spot included where I can install charging, so while I was prepared to deal with public charging only to begin with it looks like I won't go a single day of EV ownership without access to my own charging spot. Sweet!

Everything set for delivery on Monday, Thursday the week after that we load it up with some skis and see how it does up in the cold mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Got my winter tires installed today, all set for the season now. I was a little concerned about the trip, it is obviously getting cold out and it was about 110 miles one way with more of it being freeway driving and the car was saying the round trip would make it with 12% remaining battery (started at 100%, no heat pump tesla model 3), but I wasn't sure how much consumption would change on the return trip with winter tires installed instead of the all-seasons and there are no superchargers even near the route. As it turns out it wasn't much different thanks to a bit of a tail wind on the way back, but the service center also had an unlisted supercharger that they gave me a 20% bump with which made all the difference, I got home with a perfectly comfortable 30% remaining.

They also took care of some misc service bulletins on the car while they had it in, inspected all the ball joints and lubed/resealed them. Even reset the TPMS for me and got it all synced up, all in all not bad.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Apparently the ioniq and ev6 finally have epa ranges, so they're at least coming "soon" but it sounds like probably not this calendar year

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nice to see ID4s available to rent, even if the brand association isn't ideal.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Hey EV thread. I visited AI on the BYOB spaceship a few months ago, and started lurking in this thread, because my 2011 Mitsubishi was starting to give out and I was considering buying an ev to replace it.

I learned a lot from all the back and forth itt, which made my buying decision a lot easier. Now that I am a Tesla owner I thought I should stop by and say thanks, and you all could congratulate me or call me a musk simp or w/e.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Hey EV thread. I visited AI on the BYOB spaceship a few months ago, and started lurking in this thread, because my 2011 Mitsubishi was starting to give out and I was considering buying an ev to replace it.

I learned a lot from all the back and forth itt, which made my buying decision a lot easier. Now that I am a Tesla owner I thought I should stop by and say thanks, and you all could congratulate me or call me a musk simp or w/e.

Congrats! Post a pic of it. And your doge wallet.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Enjoy! The technology in there is going to be very enjoyable compared to a 2011 model!

Also make sure you life insurance and Will are up to date if you find yourself enjoying Autopilot Lightspeed Beta 6.7

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
today in dumb smart car things, my wife drove the Mach e for like three weeks while I was away dealing with family stuff and the computer has pegged the range down to like 130m on a 90% charge because she didn’t precondition it in the garage and had the cabin heat cranked to 85

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

kitten emergency posted:

today in dumb smart car things, my wife drove the Mach e for like three weeks while I was away dealing with family stuff and the computer has pegged the range down to like 130m on a 90% charge because she didn’t precondition it in the garage and had the cabin heat cranked to 85

My wife cranks up the heat on the Kia. If it didn’t have the heat pump some of our recent trips would have been more of an adventure.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

FilthyImp posted:

Enjoy! The technology in there is going to be very enjoyable compared to a 2011 model!

Also make sure you life insurance and Will are up to date if you find yourself enjoying Autopilot Lightspeed Beta 6.7

I went from a 2000 Toyota Echo, manual everything, to the 2020 Kia EV. So weird.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

What kind of hit on range are you seeing with the cabin on sauna setting? My car just sits on 21.5C and if I'm cold when I get in I whack on the heated seat and wheel.

I stingily didn't get rear heated seats so passengers back there have to suck it up.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Sauna cabin + colder exterior temps knocked me from about 200 mi estimated range at 90% SoC to 130 mi.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

its funny to watch it try and figure out what the “correct” estimate is now that I’m preconditioning, because it’ll just sit at 129 for my little trips around town

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

VideoGameVet posted:

I went from a 2000 Toyota Echo, manual everything, to the 2020 Kia EV. So weird.

There have been at least 2 Echo people here, with many miles on them too, I think an autocrosser too.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Congrats! What model / color did you get?

On a different but EV related subject, I could probably use some blood pressure medication for the next couple days, not even 24 hours after I had new winter tires and wheels installed on my Tesla I found a wood screw in one of them. Threaded it out and sprayed the area with soapy water, no air bubbles that I could detect, may have been saved by catching it early thanks to it being a quiet EV on smooth pavement so you hear if something is sticking out of a tire, and it being a relatively short screw going in at an angle, and having the max tread depth available. But even if it does start to leak, I marked the tire about where it was with some chalk and it was dead center of the wheel so there should be no issues patching it (pretty sure these tires don't have the acoustic foam either). And I have easy access to a spare tire should the need arise, since I have all 4 of the all season tires and wheels on hand now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Charles posted:

There have been at least 2 Echo people here, with many miles on them too, I think an autocrosser too.

My wife sold her Echo with 200k miles and the original clutch

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Congrats! What model / color did you get?

On a different but EV related subject, I could probably use some blood pressure medication for the next couple days, not even 24 hours after I had new winter tires and wheels installed on my Tesla I found a wood screw in one of them. Threaded it out and sprayed the area with soapy water, no air bubbles that I could detect, may have been saved by catching it early thanks to it being a quiet EV on smooth pavement so you hear if something is sticking out of a tire, and it being a relatively short screw going in at an angle, and having the max tread depth available. But even if it does start to leak, I marked the tire about where it was with some chalk and it was dead center of the wheel so there should be no issues patching it (pretty sure these tires don't have the acoustic foam either). And I have easy access to a spare tire should the need arise, since I have all 4 of the all season tires and wheels on hand now.

Good catch, and good point about sound. On a summer trip with a Leaf once, just cruising through a scenic area, I had to stop and pick a pebble out of the thread because the tap tap tap was interrupting the magic carpet illusion.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Prof. Crocodile posted:

We love all ev owners here even if you bought from the fifth element bad guy.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

We love all ev owners here even if you bought from the fifth element bad guy.

As long as his business dealings with Mr. Shadow don’t affect my resale value prior to the planet being destroyed, I’m ok with it.

Though Musk will never be as cool (outside his own head, of course) as the CEO of Nissan who escaped to Lebanon in a shipping container while on house arrest for his various financial crimes.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I drove my dad to Albuquerque in the LEAF today. It went fine

EXCEPT FOR THE EA CHARGER

Good lord. The card reader was broken, so after failing to tap, swipe, and chip, I had to download the app, set up an account, and preload $10. Then my payment was rejected four separate times. On the fifth time, it worked.

My dad decided the technology wasn't ready yet, and I can't say I blame him. The charge point station was super smooth, no problems, but this EA charger was horrid.

E: oh, and it costs by the minute. At 40kW.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 4, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

VideoGameVet posted:

My wife cranks up the heat on the Kia. If it didn’t have the heat pump some of our recent trips would have been more of an adventure.

The lack of a heat pump and the barely adequate AC (I live in Vegas, it's loving hot here 9 months/year) are my only complaints on the Volt.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

cruft posted:

I drove my dad to Albuquerque in the LEAF today. It went fine

EXCEPT FOR THE EA CHARGER

Good lord. The card reader was broken, so after failing to tap, swipe, and chip, I had to download the app, set up an account, and preload $10. Then my payment was rejected four separate times. On the fifth time, it worked.

My dad decided the technology wasn't ready yet, and I can't say I blame him. The charge point station was super smooth, no problems, but this EA charger was horrid.

E: oh, and it costs by the minute. At 40kW.

I cannot wait for EA to get to experience parity with the supercharger network.

I read recently that the id.4 doesn't do plug and charge on EA? What the gently caress?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

I read recently that the id.4 doesn't do plug and charge on EA? What the gently caress?

There was actually a VW SUV looking thing plugged in there, not sure what it was though. It kinda looked like a Mach E to me.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Godholio posted:

The lack of a heat pump and the barely adequate AC (I live in Vegas, it's loving hot here 9 months/year) are my only complaints on the Volt.

Yeah the Volt heat is strange. I understand why they did it that way in a PHEV. But then they used the same exact system on the Bolt, which made absolutely no sense.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Godholio posted:

Is there maybe an issue with your AC? I live in MS and it's definitely more than decent enough here.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Wayne Knight posted:

I cannot wait for EA to get to experience parity with the supercharger network.

It didn’t at launch. I don’t think it’s been added yet. The Mach-E does though and it’s worked fine at every EA charger I’ve tried so far.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Warrior Princess posted:

Is there maybe an issue with your AC? I live in MS and it's definitely more than decent enough here.

No, it's fine, but we spend 6 months at 110+ with no clouds. I just wish it was BETTER.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It didn’t at launch. I don’t think it’s been added yet. The Mach-E does though and it’s worked fine at every EA charger I’ve tried so far.

That’s honestly a very good thing to hear. It was not the early-buyer experience; I recall one video dedicated to a reviewer’s anger about his dinner being interrupted constantly by connection failures, because for some reason plug-and-charge sessions died after exactly 20 minutes (maybe some reauth period?). Fixing that was (correctly) a high priority, it seems.

For EVs to thrive in a world where gasoline cars are still available, they have to be better in easily-identifiable ways than what’s out there now. Charging at home is obviously an improvement, but that doesn’t always cover everyone’s vehicle use. If my 70-year-old parents (or most of their generation) have to download new apps and use NFC and keep a balance in some nebulous account in order to charge when they’re away from home, they’re not going to make the switch. The Tesla/Ford method of just plugging the car in and walking away represents an actual improvement to the process.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Godholio posted:

No, it's fine, but we spend 6 months at 110+ with no clouds. I just wish it was BETTER.

Oof, I didn't realize Vegas was that bad.

Meanwhile down here in the swamp my biggest complaint is the rear wiper. There isn't one. I have to constantly clean grime off of the back glass to use my rear mirror.

Warrior Princess fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 5, 2021

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sonic Dude posted:

That’s honestly a very good thing to hear. It was not the early-buyer experience; I recall one video dedicated to a reviewer’s anger about his dinner being interrupted constantly by connection failures, because for some reason plug-and-charge sessions died after exactly 20 minutes (maybe some reauth period?). Fixing that was (correctly) a high priority, it seems.

For EVs to thrive in a world where gasoline cars are still available, they have to be better in easily-identifiable ways than what’s out there now. Charging at home is obviously an improvement, but that doesn’t always cover everyone’s vehicle use. If my 70-year-old parents (or most of their generation) have to download new apps and use NFC and keep a balance in some nebulous account in order to charge when they’re away from home, they’re not going to make the switch. The Tesla/Ford method of just plugging the car in and walking away represents an actual improvement to the process.

Well, it’s worked flawlessly at EA so far but both Volta and EVGo chargers have failed to work at all so, uh, still a lot of work to do there Ford.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sonic Dude posted:

If my 70-year-old parents (or most of their generation) have to download new apps and use NFC and keep a balance in some nebulous account in order to charge when they’re away from home, they’re not going to make the switch. The Tesla/Ford method of just plugging the car in and walking away represents an actual improvement to the process.

It’s not just true of the elderly. To get the overwhelming majority of people to switch to electric, it needs to be an improvement over what they already have, in order to overcome the innate human resistance to change. The Tesla/Ford model of plug in and walk away should be the BASELINE charging experience. At a public manufacturer-agnostic station, I’d also allow a credit card swipe, but no apps, no NFC chips, no loving membership keyfobs barcodes.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The absolute worst systems are the one where you fill up with cash on an account for charging, and it automatically fills up when your balance drops below for example $10. Fuckers are sitting on a ton of cash that they earn interest off or use for other stuff. Not like you can get it back neither (at least not without jumping through a ton of hoops etc).

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Okay, long(er) distance LEAF trip is over, and here's what I can report:

The loving LEAF is a sold car. I want to hate it but I just can't. It's got hardly any range, but once you accept that, it's an awesome car. Comfortable seats for distance travel, stereo's fine, plenty of storage, drives nicely, it just isn't giving me anything to be angry about. And that makes me angry. I want to hate this car so much I don't mind selling it and getting a Niro or another Model 3.

The charging experience is a horrible mess, though. Y'all have captured most of it, and bear in mind this is chademo so CCS might be better (it's at least faster). I had to go back to the same EA station again and it was pretty smooth since I knew what to expect. I paid $3.64 for 8kWh due to their boneheaded pricing.

On the way up i stopped by a new Blink charger that had recently been converted from EVGo. There was a leaf parked at it and the driver was on the phone with tech support because the screen was on the fritz. Tech support insisted it wasn't their charger, and then hung up on her. I happened to have a Blink card in the glove compartment so I smacked it against the reader and her car started charging. This is the only L3 charger for 40 miles in any direction. She was pretty pumped about not having to call a tow truck.

So the LEAF pretty much rules, and the chargers are (currently) a horrible nightmare. My EV recommendation is going to change as a result of this. If you don't think you'll be leaving your town, get whatever you like best. If you're going to be driving on the highway, get a Tesla.

Cruft Jr still wants to take the LEAF to college in Las Cruces. I've explained what a poo poo show it's going to be getting home, but I guess I'll just plan a 2-day trip to get the car down there and give Jr the opportunity to experience firsthand why we keep insisting this is a dumb decision!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’ve had my 40kwh 2018 Leaf for about two months now, and while it does indeed suck that Nissan neglected to improve the battery cooling/DC fast charging situation over the years I’m still quite happy with the car (E-Pedal driving owns and in general it’s a nicely put together vehicle).

Fortunately, my use case—no commute, wife’s ICE car for longer trips, etc.—means that my needs are well suited with this car. That being said I 100% understand that its relatively short range, lack of battery cooling, and chademo DCFC make it undesirable for a ton of people out there.

Nissan fundamentally hosed up in a few different ways here. They had such an early lead with their affordable EV and they sat on their thumbs while others not only innovated but made obviously better design decisions.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

VideoGameVet posted:

I will be going from a 2012 Civic Si (traditional turn key ignition, manual transmission, no backup camera, no nav, ect...) to a Model 3 LR. I am expecting it to be a bit of a tech shock. And possibly a bit of an acceleration shock.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Antillie posted:

I will be going from a 2012 Civic Si (traditional turn key ignition, manual transmission, no backup camera, no nav, ect...) to a Model 3 LR. I am expecting it to be a bit of a tech shock. And possibly a bit of an acceleration shock.

I have the sense that a lot of Tesla owners made a similar transition. Our previous car was a manual transmission Subaru Outback, which itself replaced... a manual transmission Subaru Outback.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MrYenko posted:

It’s not just true of the elderly. To get the overwhelming majority of people to switch to electric, it needs to be an improvement over what they already have, in order to overcome the innate human resistance to change. The Tesla/Ford model of plug in and walk away should be the BASELINE charging experience. At a public manufacturer-agnostic station, I’d also allow a credit card swipe, but no apps, no NFC chips, no loving membership keyfobs barcodes.

There is only one charging network here so perhaps things are a bit different but personally I find the RFID fob more convenient than trying to use a credit card at a petrol station.

For some reason pay at pump at a petrol station is always slow and convoluted, they generally make you swipe a loyalty card to avoid getting completely ripped off and paywave/contactless is always disabled. And that's assuming the card reader at the pump is actually working - if it's broken you need to venture inside and wait behind a queue of people buying coffee these days.

Charging is comparatively simple - swipe the fob then plug in.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Nfcknblvbl posted:

As the data sample set increases by the number of vehicles sold, they're able to find out how durable/reliable their motors are, and make improvements. Why not sell the extra power if it's safe to do so?

Because paying extra to access the stock abilities of your tens-of-thousands-of-dollars daily drive is pure lovely late-stage capitalism?

MrYenko posted:

They also have to be able to afford it.

Most of the US, not to mention the greater world, can't afford to buy a new car. Full stop. Especially if ICE trade-in values tank because they're not being produced or sold. Given that EVs are more expensive to manufacture than ICE cars (and not expected to reach parity until ~2030), there's no good way to actually bring prices down short of bigger government subsidies, or waiting years for a robust used market to exist.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 5, 2021

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Because paying extra to access the stock abilities of your tens-of-thousands-of-dollars daily drive is pure lovely late-stage capitalism?

It's this. These updates should be free or available for a small fee. $1,000+ to unlock the physical potential of a vehicle the customer supposedly already owns is some dystopian poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Jeff, release the Amazon Fire Car with an optional ad-free version.