Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Black Orchid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Black Orchid

Adric's stomach would disagree.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Well, and all the people who die.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/4SylvesterMcCoy/status/1466862319451975682?s=20

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Man, real jazzed to find out there's a rob zombie Munsters in production. Who is Igor though? If that text didn't name him as Igor I would've thought he was playing Grandpa with subdued naturalistic hair.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Khanstant posted:

What's the lowest stakes Doctor Who adventure written yet? Like any time the doctor just wanted to make a simple sandwhich and ends up running around the galaxy doing who knows what, ultimately giving the big speech just to get the Fridge AI to open up so he could grab some turkey.

An Unearthly Child arguably has no consequences beyond to the immediate TARDIS crew and possibly a few cavepeople. Or, arguably, it involves the discovery of time-traveling aliens.

Edge of Destruction is low-stakes unless the TARDIS malfunction necessarily leads to a Big Bang-level disaster.

Any early historical could apply if you accept as fact the "can't change one line" claim that One makes.

The Mind Robber has pretty low stakes, as in Carnival of Monsters. Nightmare of Eden and Full Circle might be called medium stakes.

Castrovalva could be low stakes as the threat is entirely Doctor-centric. Enlightenment? Most of those involved are immune to actual harm.

New series, Amy's Choice? Or how about The Girl Who Waited, where the threat is essentially to one person?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Narsham posted:

An Unearthly Child arguably has no consequences beyond to the immediate TARDIS crew and possibly a few cavepeople. Or, arguably, it involves the discovery of time-traveling aliens.

Edge of Destruction is low-stakes unless the TARDIS malfunction necessarily leads to a Big Bang-level disaster.

Any early historical could apply if you accept as fact the "can't change one line" claim that One makes.

The Mind Robber has pretty low stakes, as in Carnival of Monsters. Nightmare of Eden and Full Circle might be called medium stakes.

Castrovalva could be low stakes as the threat is entirely Doctor-centric. Enlightenment? Most of those involved are immune to actual harm.

New series, Amy's Choice? Or how about The Girl Who Waited, where the threat is essentially to one person?

Also The Caves of Androzani, which has no stakes beyond the Doctor trying to save both his and Peri's lives.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Man, real jazzed to find out there's a rob zombie Munsters in production. Who is Igor though? If that text didn't name him as Igor I would've thought he was playing Grandpa with subdued naturalistic hair.

Igor's a new character; I'm just surprised that Zombie is staying INCREDIBLY faithful to the original look

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah surprising... but good? Munsters given a House of 1000 Corpses treatment would not be cool

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Yeah surprising... but good? Munsters given a House of 1000 Corpses treatment would not be cool

I'm not complaining!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Goddamnit, please do not make me watch a Rob Zombie movie Sly

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Narsham posted:

I haven't thought about The Girl Who Waited in a long time but the ending always bugged me. They set it up as some big moral, difficult decision for Rory. Does he pick to save Old Amy, someone he doesn't even really know anymore who resents them for not saving her sooner or Young Amy who by being picked means Old Amy never has any of that happen to her?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Goddamnit, please do not make me watch a Rob Zombie movie Sly

Sly would make a good serial or horror movie bad guy.
Like Robin Williams in One Hour Photo, you wouldn't think he could have it in him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Sly would make a good serial or horror movie bad guy.
Like Robin Williams in One Hour Photo, you wouldn't think he could have it in him.

Perhaps you'd be interested in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMvJSivVNrs

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Sylvester McCoy is great at light comedy and also being really sinister. I'm always baffled at the people who don't like his Doctor.

Anyway, the recent audios I've listened to:

The Wrong Doctors - Two Sixth Doctors! It's a little confusing, but Colin Baker and Bonnie Langford do a great job here, especially trying to make the different versions of their characters sound different.
House of Blue Fire - Really nice atmosphere, and a creepy empty house is something the franchise does well. McCoy is great, with the Doctor gently prodding the other characters to try and figure out what's happening, switching into a more compassionate mode, then going all dark and mysterious.
Loups-Garoux - Solid enough early effort, but I don't think I've watched a Turlough serial, so the character was new to me. There's some really bad sound issues, and the quality of the audio goes up and down wildly at times, to the point where it's distracting.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

jisforjosh posted:

I haven't thought about The Girl Who Waited in a long time but the ending always bugged me. They set it up as some big moral, difficult decision for Rory. Does he pick to save Old Amy, someone he doesn't even really know anymore who resents them for not saving her sooner or Young Amy who by being picked means Old Amy never has any of that happen to her?

It basically means Old Amy is killed, destroyed. It's kind of scarier way to die than usual. Old Amy is a real person with a whole life they're erasing from history, but it all still happened to her, she doesn't really get to un-have-existed, she was feeling and experiencing it all in real time whether it later gets timey wimey'd away or not. Killing someone should always be a moral dilemma, functionally the nature of her death here of being erased from existence in a way is either equal to or worse than death, not at all some salve to make the decision easier.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Sylvester McCoy is great at light comedy and also being really sinister. I'm always baffled at the people who don't like his Doctor.

Anyway, the recent audios I've listened to:

The Wrong Doctors - Two Sixth Doctors! It's a little confusing, but Colin Baker and Bonnie Langford do a great job here, especially trying to make the different versions of their characters sound different.
House of Blue Fire - Really nice atmosphere, and a creepy empty house is something the franchise does well. McCoy is great, with the Doctor gently prodding the other characters to try and figure out what's happening, switching into a more compassionate mode, then going all dark and mysterious.
Loups-Garoux - Solid enough early effort, but I don't think I've watched a Turlough serial, so the character was new to me. There's some really bad sound issues, and the quality of the audio goes up and down wildly at times, to the point where it's distracting.

I can't remember the details, but something had happened after the recording of Loups-Garoux which rendered the recordings unlistenable to the point where BF thought they were just going to have to write the whole thing off as a loss. They even said it was a miracle that the sound engineer was able to restore them to the point where it was salvageable.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

Perhaps you'd be interested in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMvJSivVNrs

Oh drat, that looks really interesting! Kind of surprised I never heard of it, you'd have thought a film with Maisie Williams would have gotten more attention.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1463967697222475776?s=20

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Eccleston looks like all the members of Genesis mixed in a blender when he has a beard. I might have made this comment before.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hey... tomorrow's it. Flux wraps up. I really hope it all comes together well!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Well, whatever happens, I'll likely have enjoyed Series 13 overall, such as it was

I wonder if the specials next year will count towards this Series or if it'll be 13b, 14, or in the same nebulous "era" as Ten's specials

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Vinylshadow posted:

Well, whatever happens, I'll likely have enjoyed Series 13 overall, such as it was

I wonder if the specials next year will count towards this Series or if it'll be 13b, 14, or in the same nebulous "era" as Ten's specials

In terms of what appears on HBO Max? Yes. In terms of physical media? Doubtful.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

Given how the blu-ray releases tend to go, I imagine that they'll probably do a separate Blu-Ray release for each special, then a special Specials Boxset, then probably a complete Jodie Whittaker collection including all her seasons and the specials included.

Agreed that even with the flaws that this truncated season has had, I think it's been overall stronger/more enjoyable than the last season was. If Chibnall can find a way to wrap it all up effectively I'll be very pleased. I just really hope he doesn't end it with,"Answers to the "exciting" questions about the Timeless Child will come in the NEXT special!" - I'd very much like this particular storyline to be over after tomorrow.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

I think I liked the first two episodes a lot because of Dan. I felt like after those episodes I knew more about him and I could relate to him better than I could to Yaz. I so hope she sticks around and she gets a bit of a character reboot and a better arc (bit like Clara) because she has the elements of an interesting character.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Prediction: the watch opens and it doesn’t go into the Doctor, because she’s not the Timeless Child.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The Timeless Child is Dan.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The Timeless Child is Dan.

I was actually thinking that as a maybe.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Prediction: the watch opens and it doesn’t go into the Doctor, because she’s not the Timeless Child.

Would love this. And the Timeless Child is Andred.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The timeliness child is Dan, who is The Doctor from a past or future regeneration.

Mostly because I get Tennant's John Smith vibes off him sometimes. Not because I think it's a good idea or even likely to happen.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Jerusalem posted:

I just really hope he doesn't end it with,"Answers to the "exciting" questions about the Timeless Child will come in the NEXT special!" - I'd very much like this particular storyline to be over after tomorrow.

Oh please no...

Predictions? Uh... I've got no idea.

Bel and Vinder are the Timeless Parents somehow, I guess. Doesn't something have to be tied up with the planet Time raid with Karvanista being there? I really don't care about what's going on on Earth with Sontarans and whatever TBH... Grand Serpent is probably going to get mashed up trying to jump to the next universe, or get killed by Sontarans or something. Maybe he'll get pushed through the Nasty Door in the tunnels. Or maybe he'll end up in the Tree Tardis and destroy it somehow, with the mythology angle.

Maybe everyone gets sent to Universe 2, but Universe 1 gets restored, they travel back to a bit after the start of it, and Bel/Vinder/Karvanista stay to look after the Doctor in Division? And Tecteun doesn't do all that awful stuff (alternatively, they accidentally drop timeless child through a hole and end up coming AFTER Tecteun picks her up), Dan gets back to Liverpool and lives happily ever after with that lassie. Yaz had something with the Angels making up a new house and sister for her in the time vortex bit maybe- that's the hook for the next special. I hope she hasn't been fobwatched or is somehow Bel/Vinder's kid.

I kind of hope Ruth comes back, but Jodie's already liable to be worthless this ep until the last 5 minutes, so it probably shouldn't happen.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 5, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The_Doctor posted:

The watch is her only weapon.
She unleashes it on the Skull Gang, and they become like her or their heads explode trying to take in so many memories.
She definitely sacrifices whatever is inside the watch, and accepts that gently caress it she doesn't want to know.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I don't see how they can wrap up everything in one more episode unless they do have the Doctor just decide to ignore it. That would make the whole storyline pointless but it wouldn't surprise me.

Anyway, I'm not sure what will happen, except probably the Doctor will just stand there and let the villains do whatever they want.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Action Jacktion posted:

I don't see how they can wrap up everything in one more episode unless they do have the Doctor just decide to ignore it.

Its Chibnall. He ignores a fuckton of things to segway to the next part, its like his trait.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My dumb prediction: The Timeless Child ends up being an Unearthly one, and the Doctor reunites Bel and Vinder with a woman named Susan.

Don't get me wrong, this would be awful, but I'd prefer it to it being the Doctor herself.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Previously on Doctor Who: A bunch of nonsensical bullshit. Now to find out if any of it mattered!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Sontarans really must do something about that vent thing. They should make a note.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Last episode: How will the Doctor get out of this?
This episode: Oh she just.... hosed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

Last episode: How will the Doctor get out of this?
This episode: Oh she just.... hosed off.

In the great tradition of "oh, theres a ledge there, nevermind."