Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

The possible pagonging of all the black players in a row could get unfortunate looking. If I were a conspiratorial watcher I'd suggest that race talk was aired to soften it.

I think that is a strong possibility. Danny or Deshawn need to win the next immunity. The previews showed them looking for an idol. They need to make sure they are sitting next to Heather so they should gun for Erika. If Erika wins immunity then I think that would seal the deal for one of them (Deshawn probably). However, if (either) could make a move with an found idol then he would quickly build a nice resume for himself.

Heather's journey is so funny, I feel like she is guaranteed a spot in the final 3 because everyone wants to sit next to her. I can't wait to hear her jury pitch. If she acknowledges she was just a goat and had a good time, I will be upset. How do y'all feel about goats in the game? They annoy the poo poo out of me personally. No offense to the goat I quoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

This is the first time I can remember when such an obvious goat was dragged all the way to the end with so little fanfare. It’s like they all just decided that having a communal goat was their best move. And maybe it is? There’s a Monty Hall joke here somewhere.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

The possible pagonging of all the black players in a row could get unfortunate looking. If I were a conspiratorial watcher I'd suggest that race talk was aired to soften it.

I was laughing my rear end off at the good race chat that happened.... and then they voted off the last black woman, lead by an alliance of the most manipulative/smart gay dude and the failing upwards white christian dude.

If that doesn't sum up America progressive culture, I don't know what does.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah the whole "good talk, bye" aspect of that was something.

Its good its a F3 so they don't have to risk the possibility of a Xander/Heather F2 with a string of POC voteouts. Survivor S41: Whoops, We Tried.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dont know if final 3 was confirmed, especially if we're going into the finale with 5 players left

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its weirdly progressive that like a) there was actually a black alliance that was larger than two people b) that there were enough POCs that that alliance could actually afford to play Survivor and stab each other in the back.

But yeah, hysterical if Xander The White Ally (bless him) somehow pulls that off

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

LionArcher posted:

the most manipulative/smart gay dude

Feels weird to see a latino player described like this in the context of race and progressives when latino contestants are extremely underrepresented :smith:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If I were some kind of bettler, I'm picking Eric as the winner. People have been assuming that since extinction island hasn't been shown or mentioned, that it's not there, but Eric's been there all season collecting hella advantages and I'm betting he takes it in the end.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

If I were some kind of bettler, I'm picking Eric as the winner. People have been assuming that since extinction island hasn't been shown or mentioned, that it's not there, but Eric's been there all season collecting hella advantages and I'm betting he takes it in the end.

Lol you never know

This seasons twist is you actually gave the million to the first person you voted off and we never told you so you've been playing for nothing! Oopsie woopsie

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

blue squares posted:

I’m gonna get paramount plus and watch some Australian survivor. Of the seasons available, which should I start with? Keep in mind I am skeptical about the length so I want to watch one that convinces me that it’s worth all that time, so recommend the best rather than just saying to start with the earliest and watch them all

Thanks!

Both champs vs contenders ones are very good, and all stars is imo the best season of survivor ever made. The most recent one is very very good too. With the exception of the first "new" Aus season, you kinda can't go wrong tbh

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Also, I don't get the Xander hate. He HAS been someone who has exhibited qualities of an ally, and why should he not give his best effort to win? He hasn't had any racially motivated votes, and he may be voting off POC because they are a threat to beat him in the end, irrespective of their race.

Now I could understand Heather hate since when she was called upon she acted like she was ignorant to the plight of the black community in recent years which is absurd.

I feel like I'm doing a lot of Xander backing ITT, despite actually rooting for Deshawn and Danny the whole way, but I definitely feel like he gets too much hate, and seems like a good kid.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Xander rubs me wrong a tiny bit just because he kind of wears his "haha!" a little loud when things break well for him but I don't get the sense anyone really hates him. A least not here. I certainly didn't mean to imply he was targeting POC for any reason except game. And while its... you know.... typical that he's kind of failing upwards while clueless to the bigger issues weighing on others I respect that he just acknowledged and owned that.

And I don't think Heather was saying she doesn't know what's happening in the world. I think both she and Xander were saying that none of this stuff was on their minds during the game and they had no idea the other players were wrestling with this stuff (and that that's on them). Which is at least honest.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SweetJahasus posted:

Now I could understand Heather hate since when she was called upon she acted like she was ignorant to the plight of the black community in recent years which is absurd.

I don't think it's absurd at all, she (taking things at face value) represents a LOT of people who are ignorant but not actively malicious.

Also I don't think it's fair to say that she was entirely "ignorant to the plight of the black community" necessarily, she may well have understood that racism exists and even ACAB (probably not, I'll grant you) without really grokking the "I represent my race and you don't" dynamic. That's not something many privileged people leap to understanding without having it explained to them at some point. Other clueless white people seeing her get it on national TV may have done a lot of good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I mean if you're going to give Heather Xan poo poo for that, I think the PoC alliance needs some poo poo for excluding Erika. More of a Black-North-American alliance than a PoC alliance. I can't remember when that alliance formed, was it after the merge or before? I think Naseer was also excluded from the PoC alliance but can't remember if it was a thing when JD and Genie were voted out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, it wasn't a "POC" alliance. It was four Black players saying "holy poo poo, this has never happened before and would be big for the culture. Should we?" Ricard, Erika, and Naseer aren't really part of that.

Like that feels in itself like a kind of societal problem that we see it from the perspective of the white folks and everyone who isn't them. It wasn't about that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Part of that conversation was them giving themselves permission to vote each other off. If you thought you were fourth, or really anything but first in the four, it'd be a hell of a thing to feel like you're giving up a million bucks for your family just to make sure a black player won

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And that was the point of that conversation and Deshawn's emotion over voting out Shan and being called a snake and Shan's disbelief of it. There's a lot of complicated poo poo going on that isn't affecting Xander or even Erika. All four felt like sticking together was important and could mean something, but all four also recognized that winning the game meant something too. And it was a conflict within them that played out and made something like Shan calling Deshawn a snake emotionally damaging, because on a strong level he clearly wanted to stick with her and felt guilty that they weren't able to make it work.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
And that's why this season is good TV despite Jeff's twists and overly complicated "advantages"

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

And that's why this season is good TV despite Jeff's twists and overly complicated "advantages"

Yeah, I'm actually enjoying this season but it's completely in spite of the terrible advantages and twists that screw everyone. The social, emotional, and strategic dynamics are really interesting, at least after the merge

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, it wasn't a "POC" alliance. It was four Black players saying "holy poo poo, this has never happened before and would be big for the culture. Should we?" Ricard, Erika, and Naseer aren't really part of that.

Like that feels in itself like a kind of societal problem that we see it from the perspective of the white folks and everyone who isn't them. It wasn't about that.

Yeah alright I'm not sure who or when we started saying POC alliance but that's really more what my pedantic issue was and it doesn't make sense to put that on them when the reason they've bonded is clear.

The Bloop posted:

I can't help but wonder why it's so short though, like, the season, not the actually game. They've skipped over so much camp stuff and tribal interactions that's still there despite the speedrun-nature of the season. There's a lot good here and presumably more. I read some interview with Liana yesterday and apparently she and Evvie were huge allies, like they had an early big bonding moment and just both liked each others vibe and were both down to never write eachother's names. They did downplay it strategically when in some groups, but there was more social connection and drama there that would be directly relevant to the big Liana misfire, since she had a connection with Evvie and probably could've sussed out Xan's idol situation a little better.

I just hope this breakneck speed isn't the new standard moving forward cause it sometimes feels like a very abridged edit of a whole season, game slightly short or not.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 4, 2021

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

US Survivor hasn't focused too much on the camp life of the Survivors in quite a long time. Possibly one of the major differences that make Australian Survivor amazing to watch.

Premerge with US Survivor, there tends to be very little focus on the tribes that are winning the immunity challenges. The focus ends up being on the strategy of the losing tribe. And since pretty much only 1 tribe lost immunity challenges prior to the merge, there was very little time allocated to the winning tribes.

They also had to explain on the advantages and to the prisoners dilemma which takes even more time away from them being able to show anything going on at camp...

Although FWIW they did seem to show the alliance and bond between Liana and Evvie in the 2 tribals they had to go too.

It's the big contrast though, since again Australian Survivor almost always give a segment to each tribe, every week at least before the reward challenge, and sometimes they even give each tribe a segment after the reward / immunity challenges.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Bloop posted:

It's kind of funny really. It's a season with a stupid amount of advantages... but the players haven't used any of them accept the extra votes (well and the steal an advantage that failed)...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Khanstant posted:

Yeah alright I'm not sure who or when we started saying POC alliance but that's really more what my pedantic issue was and it doesn't make sense to put that on them when the reason they've bonded is clear.

Danny and Deshawn were allied on the dominant tribe. Liana and Shan met on one of those island advantage hikes and bonded deeply and immediately started working together (as I recall Shan told Liana that Xander had been lying about his idol and to risk her vote and get an advantage because Shan was gonna protect hers). Then immediately after the tribal merge feast the four of them made a final four deal. Ricard was sort of along for the ride because Shan was loyal to him and Naseer just seemed like an extra number.

I get why the "POC alliance" and "why isn't Erika in it?" stuff started but that really wasn't what was happening. It was four black players who felt a shared responsibility to each other and to represent something bigger, even as that conflicted with their individual games and relationships.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah I’m 5 episodes into Aussie Survivor and god it’s so much better. US Survivor just can’t get out of its own way with Jeff’s moronic leadership

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STAC Goat posted:

I get why the "POC alliance" and "why isn't Erika in it?" stuff started but that really wasn't what was happening. It was four black players who felt a shared responsibility to each other and to represent something bigger, even as that conflicted with their individual games and relationships.

I think it's just a bit of the old school telephone game happening on the Internets. It's obviously the 4 black players forming a black alliance. But people don't want to call them the black alliance on the Internet and started trying to be more PC referring the alliance as a POC alliance. Then other people read that and start thinking and wondering why the other POC players are not in their alliance.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I think it's just a bit of the old school telephone game happening on the Internets. It's obviously the 4 black players forming a black alliance. But people don't want to call them the black alliance on the Internet and started trying to be more PC referring the alliance as a POC alliance. Then other people read that and start thinking and wondering why the other POC players are not in their alliance.

I think its people kind of missing the nuance of the situation as a game thing instead of the human thing it was. It was four people immediately sharing a bond and shared sense of he possible importance of them working together and as a result feeling an extra burden to make that work even when clearly it wasn't. It wasn't them going "lets form a black alliance!" It was a lifetime of cultural and societal stuff and an opportunity that had never existed in 40 seasons of Survivor.

And again, I think that's what Xander and Heather meant when they said they didn't know it was happening. Of course they knew the big societal stuff and basic dynamics. But none of what Liana and Deshawn were feeling about responsibility to each other or their culture or to represent people had occurred to them, as Xander said because he's privileged enough to not have to think about that stuff.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Honestly I think this was it for me and I just think I should give myself poo poo for not saying Black Alliance because that's cool and what it is.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

US Survivor hasn't focused too much on the camp life of the Survivors in quite a long time. Possibly one of the major differences that make Australian Survivor amazing to watch.

I want something of a medium ground, which essentially the US was for probably at least over half of it's seasons. This one in particular just feels extreme, I guess both because literally down a couple episodes from the 15ish average, but just everything together mentioned. In general I think this could easily be a 20+ season kind of show, even if like some of those episodes are online-only. What the gently caress else does CBS have going on besides stretching out Star Trek throughout the year?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

we cant overlook that part of what makes australian survivor good is its longer run time per episode usually going between 50 to 70 minutes an ep vs us survivors 40 minutes per episode, along with having just 13 eps vs australian survivors 24-25 episodes.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Bloop posted:

Part of that conversation was them giving themselves permission to vote each other off. If you thought you were fourth, or really anything but first in the four, it'd be a hell of a thing to feel like you're giving up a million bucks for your family just to make sure a black player won
Yeah i can still see not wanting to move against the other black players here in the current climate. But it was an easier call to give up your own game in big brother where no black player had ever won. A black woman won s4 of survivor, Fiji had an all black f3. Black people have absolutely been underrepresented on the show but it hasn’t been a total shutout like on Big Brother where that alliance stayed strong through a lot of conflict

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Not that producers read this thread but I can't say enough that this season is mostly great IN SPITE OF what they've done to the game (casting aside)

I really fear this season will be well received and they will learn all the wrong lessons

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I just hope this breakneck speed isn't the new standard moving forward cause it sometimes feels like a very abridged edit of a whole season, game slightly short or not.

Yes, they need to find a better balance. The shortened game is whatever but the fast-paced nature of the episodes are a problem. There were also so many advantages in the game that nobody has really looked around for potential idols since the first ones (that stole your vote lol).

STONE COLD 64 posted:

we cant overlook that part of what makes australian survivor good is its longer run time per episode usually going between 50 to 70 minutes an ep vs us survivors 40 minutes per episode, along with having just 13 eps vs australian survivors 24-25 episodes.

I tried to watch Survivor Australia but it's wayyy over-produced and dragged tf out. A lot of what I saw was just filler b-roll.

The Bloop posted:

2 good TC speeches are not enough to salvage this wreck of a season, for me.. That's all it has going for it, besides the representation. Everything else has been very bad and awful. All I will remember about this season is how dumb everything was. I'll say again that Lianna made some great comments in those TC speeches, but her backfired attempt to steal Xanders idol was one of the most delusional plays I've seen on Survivor. Ricard telling Xander "you should play the idol" 2x during the TC a couple weeks ago was also super cringe. I'm just saying... everyone's Survivor game this season has been weak (which I partly blame on the show for not giving players much wiggle room).

I'm a lot less interested in seeing who will win than I am in hearing the Jury speeches and reasoning on how they 'outwitted and outplayed' the others.

Brass fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 5, 2021

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm watching the "first" AUS Survivor season on 10Play (thanks VPN!) and its still a solid time. There's a serious Pagonging post-merge, but I'm still entertained. (This is the one with Lee the cricketer) Casting is super strong too.

Agree that this has been a great season of Survivor, despite the hilariously over-engineered twists. I'd be super happy to see a ton of these folks again as returning players, which is a good sign.

The first Aussie Survivor season on Paramount Plus is incredible, though. Luke, Harry, Janine, Pia, the Golden God, Ross... so good

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what do we even call this season?

Brass posted:

I tried to watch Survivor Australia but it's wayyy over-produced and dragged tf out. A lot of what I saw was just filler b-roll.

And yeah, I can't make it through AUS either, it's so bizarre. US Survivor I'm like... that's it, I want more. But AUS is like, jesus christ imma just look up who wins to free my time back up. I want normal length episodes, but with the 25 eps instead of 15.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I agree, I can't handle Australian Survivor. I hate how all Australian reality TV has to be this hour and a half event three time a week, makes it impossible to keep up.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm watching the "first" AUS Survivor season on 10Play (thanks VPN!) and its still a solid time. There's a serious Pagonging post-merge, but I'm still entertained. (This is the one with Lee the cricketer) Casting is super strong too.

Agree that this has been a great season of Survivor, despite the hilariously over-engineered twists. I'd be super happy to see a ton of these folks again as returning players, which is a good sign.

The first Aussie Survivor season on Paramount Plus is incredible, though. Luke, Harry, Janine, Pia, the Golden God, Ross... so good

2017 (the second season) is also really solid.

I do think that the CvC and All-Stars seasons are iffy, because that's when overproduction and twists really come in, but that's me.

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I agree, I can't handle Australian Survivor. I hate how all Australian reality TV has to be this hour and a half event three time a week, makes it impossible to keep up.

It's, unfortunately, a network requirement since they need to fill a certain number of hours/episodes. Hence why they have all those non-elimination episodes and twists to stretch the time out more.

And honestly, Australian Survivor gets off light compared to something like Masterchef Australia. I like that one too, but it's basically an hour every day for five days a week that goes on for months.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

I quite like Australian Survivor (and at this stage I prefer it to the US version), but I'm often disappointed at how lopsided the edit tends to be. With the extended running time you'd think they'd manage to showcase more of the contestants, and instead the most recent season's postmerge revolved almost entirely around four people, with the others getting hardly any content.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

outside of laura i felt like everyone got a decent amount of coverage and backstory, even if the entire season is basically The King George Show

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 5, 2021

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Idk, I tend to agree the Australian Survivor edit can get very focused on certain players and ignore others pretty badly in more recent seasons. In one recent season there was a player who made it to the swap and who was doing some stuff who got zero confessionals. No excuse for it with how much time they have to play with.

That’s the curious thing about Australian Survivor: although it’s been absolutely great for 5 straight seasons, I’m not really sure how they keep doing it. Lopsided editing, plenty of dopey twists, and half the cast every season is pro athletes that don’t get the game and only care about challenges. And yet….

As far as the formatting, seasons have a billion episodes so you can’t binge through that easily, and it can be hard to keep up with live, but I don’t agree they leave any junk in the episode cuts. If you have Paramount+ and like Survivor you absolutely must watch the most recent season. I think it’ll keep your attention no problem, and it (like several others) is a top level season.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Please don’t post spoilers for Survivor Australia considering most posters have not watched them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The 2017 and 2019 seasons of Australian Survivor are up there with the best US seasons. The most recent season was also great.