Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Batterypowered7 posted:

You call your kid Griffith and next thing you know he's sacrificing his mercenary group to beings of unfathomable power and being reborn as one of them.

Or he's refusing to burn down a city, leading to the fall of a dynasty of inbred dragon riders.

AITA for not accepting my daughter’s newfound Jewish identity?

quote:

I (61M) have been married to my wife (58F) for almost 30 years now, and we literally met at a church on a campus of a catholic seminary. we got married years ago and had children, obviously intending to raise them Catholic. We had one miscarriage and then six (living now) children together.

Every kid grew up in Catholic school each year of their lives, received every necessary sacrament, they are all named after their catholic patron saints, went to church every sunday, fasting every solemnity, studying latin to read the Bible, etc. so as you can see we are very very devout and we raised our kids this way, i think they learned how to pray the rosary through memory by fourth grade.

i noticed that my daughter, while she was in high school, had stopped praying with us as often but i just assumed maybe she was struggling with her faith or going through some type of phase.

i found out about a year later that she had actually been learning hebrew in her free time, reading the torah/tanakh and talmud, saying brachots but whispering them, praying jewish prayers, reading books about judaism, etc. and had this hidden for two whole years.

she started her jewish conversion as an 18-year-old adult in college literally right after she had moved out and moved into her dorm at a Jewish college. this college is secular, but was started originally as a jewish college, just as Harvard was protestant. she is now studying for a phd in judaism, is teaching hebrew in college and is looking to become a professor in the judaic/jewish halakhic studies. she then married an ethnic/religious jewish man.

it’s been a few years, and i just found out from my wife last weekend that my daughter posted on facebook about her family hanukkah party for this year, and that she invited us. i also found out about the birth of her new son, but i said that my wife could go, though i won’t be coming. my wife said it was ridiculous, and my daughter said that if i wasn’t going to be coming for her i should at least come to see my few-month-old grandson. but i think it’s awful for my wife to support this after all these years of trying to raise them Catholic, all of this Catholic school money for years has been wasted and our daughter is a heretic. she wants me to accept her for her new religion, but i just can’t do it.

AITA for thinking this way? if so, why and how can i fix it? if not, what can i say to her? she’s my only non-Catholic, let alone Jewish child.

All the years of sending money to pay for priests' pedo lawsuits, and this is how you repay me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

cumshitter posted:

I wanted to see if the guy had more embarrassing posts in the cat feeder thread and the mods locked it.

drat manbaby and worse. what could possibly be worse than calling someone a manbaby?

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

DeeplyConcerned posted:

drat manbaby and worse. what could possibly be worse than calling someone a manbaby?

Yeah I wasn't aware there was any worse insult according to the AITA mods.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That Catholic post just makes me think about how right now I could kill a man in front of my grandma, and still not be as bad as my uncle. Because he stopped going to Mass and is instead attending a *gasp* UU church.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Or he's refusing to burn down a city, leading to the fall of a dynasty of inbred dragon riders.

All the years of sending money to pay for priests' pedo lawsuits, and this is how you repay me!

quote:

Every kid grew up in Catholic school each year of their lives, received every necessary sacrament, they are all named after their catholic patron saints, went to church every sunday, fasting every solemnity, studying latin to read the Bible, etc. so as you can see we are very very devout and we raised our kids this way, i think they learned how to pray the rosary through memory by fourth grade.

Newsflash idiot: this doesn't make you devout in the eyes of God. This just makes you a 1500s style Opus Dei rear end in a top hat

Whenever you hear a Catholic lamenting that the Mass is not done in Latin you know they're a conservative shitwad who's still big mad about the Second Vatican Council reforms

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I put in all the inputs to produce a Catholic adult, why my daughter is not Catholic? Beep booop.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

My daughter is my property I have the right to control her religion

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I promised God a soul and if He doesn't get hers then my extended family are going to need to have a pact never to get dna tested

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cowslips Warren posted:

quote:

she started her jewish conversion as an 18-year-old adult in college literally right after she had moved out and moved into her dorm at a Jewish college. this college is secular, but was started originally as a jewish college, just as Harvard was protestant.
my dude, did your daughter go to Brandeis and you didn't see this coming

like yes, it's actually only half jewish etc etc but lmao

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Griffin is a name that you only find with hedge fund Bros and rich failsons

And my friend's cat, who is very handsome and wonderful

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Mx. posted:

AITA for giving my fiancé and ultimatum about inviting his sister at our wedding

please invite her to your wedding because i want to hear more stories about this woman

quote:

UPDATE : First of all thanks for the feedback I appreciate it. The final decision is that SIL won't be invited. After the fight I had with my fiancé he decided to speak with her one on one and make her swear she won't pull anything. She kept laughing throughout their whole conversation and wasn't taking anything seriously. My fiancé kept trying to convince her to be serious and the reply that set him off was "And what if I'm not? What will you do? You'll kick me out. If you kick me out you know mom and dad will follow me. And then the main talk of your wedding will be about how you kicked your sister out and the drama.". That made my fiancé make up his mind and tell her on the spot she's not invited any more. She threw a tantrum and said she's his sister and we can't do this to her. She started crying and bombarding him with texts now about how she was not serious she was joking and she's sorry. My fiancé told her no. He also decided to limit contact with her to the minimum. My in laws are of course very angry about this and as you can imagine we got called many names for this decision. My fiancé told them if they have a problem they're free to not attend either. He told them to shut up or they'll be uninvited next and he won't keep this conversation any longer. They shut up real quick after that.

Edit : My wedding planner has also contacted two security guys for the night. We'll have security and make sure she has no access to the venue.

What are you gonna do? Not invite me?
Yep.
Hey wait, you can't do that.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

AngryRobotsInc posted:

That Catholic post just makes me think about how right now I could kill a man in front of my grandma, and still not be as bad as my uncle. Because he stopped going to Mass and is instead attending a *gasp* UU church.

Of the four people I know who go to UU churches, two were raised in the Roman Catholic Church. Unitarian Universalism is rehab for Catholic people.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

my dude, did your daughter go to Brandeis and you didn't see this coming

like yes, it's actually only half jewish etc etc but lmao

Lmao I didn't even catch that

trickybiscuits posted:

And my friend's cat, who is very handsome and wonderful

Need catte pic pls

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In the comments, it comes out that OP thinks that good people who aren't baptized Catholic will come out okay in the afterlife, but Catholics who convert are definitely going to hell.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In the comments, it comes out that OP thinks that good people who aren't baptized Catholic will come out okay in the afterlife, but Catholics who convert are definitely going to hell.

Why would he sabotage his children by baptizing them? He's a monster.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sodium Chloride posted:

What are you gonna do? Not invite me?
Yep.
Hey wait, you can't do that.

Quote From Woman Uninvited:

"What are you gonna do, uninvite me?"

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for ruining my boyfriends favorite hiking trail?

quote:

My (22F) boyfriend (24M) is an avid outdoorsman. He grew up camping and hiking often. I, on the other hand, did not. I think I went camping once when I was a little kid and sat in my grandma’s RV pouting the entire time.

My boyfriend and I have now been dating for 6 months and as our little “anniversary” present, my boyfriend wanted to take me to his favorite hiking spot. We live in a warmer state, so hiking this time of year isn’t abnormal. I was a little nervous about it, but agreed because I definitely see him as the person I’m gonna marry, which means adapting to his lifestyle as well.

So we went on a sunrise hike up a mountain that was a little over an hour away from us. The hike was just over 3 miles total and wasn’t too difficult for beginners. Before going, my boyfriend gave me the safety run down and pushed that I drink a ton of water.

When we got to the trailhead, I needed to pee slightly and mentioned to my boyfriend finding the bathroom at the beginning of the trailhead (which I believed to be just around this little hill) he brushed it off though and suggested we get going so we don’t miss the most beautiful part of the sunrise, so I agreed.

During the first half of the hike, my boyfriend kept pushing for me to drink water to the point where I felt like I was gonna throw up (and my bladder was gonna explode). When we got to the best part of the hike, we sat there for a few minutes before I mentioned heading back down because at this point I reallyyyyy needed to find that bathroom.

My boyfriend insisted we stay for a few more minutes until I finally dragged him up. Listen, I’ve never peed outside my entire life. But I must’ve drank so much water my bladder just couldn’t take it. Before we even made it back down, I knew I was about to pee my pants. I kept mentioning it to my boyfriend and he kept comforting me, saying it was okay, saying I can make it.

Unfortunately, I could not make it. I apologized profusely but told him I had to duck behind a big rock a little ways off the trailhead to pee or I was going to pee my pants. He was angry, scoffed and huffed as I asked him to stand watch, but instead he just stood by the trail, angry as ever. And to make matters worse, an older couple that was cutting through some of the brush walked right by me, but didn’t say anything.

So yeah, my boyfriend is understandably furious with me, not only for exposing myself on our hike, but also for rushing our beautiful view. This is his favorite hiking spot and I ruined it. I feel terrible, but I also feel like it was something that I couldn’t control. AITA?

TL:DR Peed outside for the first time with my boyfriend on his favorite hiking trail and now he’s furious with me because he can’t ever go back there.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
what kind of avid outdoorsman can't handle peeing outside

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

1stGear posted:

what kind of avid outdoorsman can't handle peeing outside

I think there's his problem

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013

Batterypowered7 posted:

You call your kid Griffith and next thing you know he's sacrificing his mercenary group to beings of unfathomable power and being reborn as one of them.

I guess they could name their other son Guts.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Pissing outside is no biggie and i hope thats not his issue. But depending on the trails popularity i guess it could be frowned upon.

Some popular tourist trails here in Norway can reek of piss and poo poo in the summer.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Evil Willow posted:

Well jesus gently caress guess you missed one sunrise. Now it's gone forever.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Lmao I didn't even catch that

Need catte pic pls
She's moving and I don't want to bother her for permission to post her cat

But imagine a gray tabby tom cat of considerable dignity and furriness, who likes laps and sushi, and sits/lies with one front paw curled around weirdly in a way that shouldn't be comfortable at all

eta: that sounds amazing. I should hire myself out to write dating website descriptions for animals

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 5, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Evil Willow posted:

What a goddamn dingus. Just leave him.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

trickybiscuits posted:

Of the four people I know who go to UU churches, two were raised in the Roman Catholic Church. Unitarian Universalism is rehab for Catholic people.

I was raised in a UU church, but my mom grew up Salvation Army.

So not necessarily Catholic.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Cowslips Warren posted:

Don't they know that the best way to make someone leave the church is to send them to catholic school?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

titty_baby_ posted:

Don't they know that the best way to make someone leave the church is to send them to catholic school?

They do now.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
How can you not pee outside? Peeing outside of one of my favorite feelings.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

sugar mouse posted:

Look, I'm just not good at posting, which is impressive after 15 years but I'm guessing the thread is in GBS?

r/relationships: Im not sure how exactly to find the thread

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Guarantee you the issue is not the concept of peeing outside, it's that her doing it isn't ladylike.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

titty_baby_ posted:

I mean losing one out of six isn't bad.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Men can just unzip and go. Women have to squat like animals. Unless they’ve got a she-wee.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

This is all I can think of every time some dude gets whiny because his wife/girlfriend farted in front of him or burped or did anything else.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for quitting without notice over fake job postings?

quote:

As of yesterday, I (31f) was the marketing coordinator for a real estate agent. Let's call him John (39m). He's very successful and recently hired a life coach who gives him weekly goals. Some of them are normal, like, "Read this book on the cyclical nature of the real estate market" but other times it's poo poo like, "Coach says I should take Friday off because sitting is the new smoking." Not the best behavior, but harmless enough.

However, John's most recent goal caught me totally by surprise. Last week, John said his coach wanted him to "develop his leadership skills." I asked what that entailed, and he gave me a new task: advertise fake job postings. One for every position on our team. John said he wanted 30+ resumés PER DAY, and he'd interview "the good ones."

I can't overemphasize this enough: there are no job openings on our team. John's coach apparently thinks interviewing real people for fake jobs will make John a better leader. If someone can connect those dots for me, please do, because I don't get it.

I asked John if he was serious and pointed out that people are desperate for work right now. His response: Coach says real leaders are always looking for new talent. Reason 1 why I might be the rear end in a top hat: I couldn't refuse a direct request without getting fired, so I made the job postings, but I didn't list compensation in the hopes that people would see red flags.

We got hundreds of resumes, and John interviewed dozens of people. I listened in, and they sounded like real interviews. At no point did John mention we're not currently hiring. One of the interviewees was a young woman who chatted with me while she was waiting, and she said she's a single mother who had to get a last-minute babysitter so she could make the interview. So, not only is she not getting hired for this "job," it cost her money to show up. Another was an older man, and when I walked him out, and he asked, "Do you think a fossil like me has any shot?" I almost burst into tears, but fury won out. I told him, "There is no job. I'm sorry they lied to you. This company thinks nothing of wasting your time." He looked shocked and walked away.

Someone must have heard me because I got called into John's office, where he proceeded to yell at me. Apparently, he's fine with lying to people's faces but not with people knowing about it. He threatened to fire me, and I said to "do it, because I can't go along with this. You're getting people's hopes up for no reason." John argued that the jobs could be real in the future, and it was helping him lead the team, so that made it okay.

Reason 2 why I might be the rear end in a top hat: I quit on the spot, no notice. I have a second job so I'll be okay, but John said to forget about a reference. I've never not given notice before, and I feel bad about that, but I just know John would make me keep bringing him resumes until my last day.

what the gently caress

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I thought it was a fetish thing the way he kept pushing her to drink but idk, I think the internet has made me a little insane. It's probably a misogyny thing. Heaven forbid a lady pisses near him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mx. posted:

AITA for quitting without notice over fake job postings?
John needs to spend 30 days in an underground cell with no light and 6 liters of water to last the duration, because it'll "teach him how to prioritize."

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lol at business coaches and life coaches.

Edit: Also lol at blindly following what your coach says, in order to become a real leader.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

value-brand cereal posted:

I thought it was a fetish thing the way he kept pushing her to drink but idk, I think the internet has made me a little insane. It's probably a misogyny thing. Heaven forbid a lady pisses near him.

I just figure he takes his hiking way too seriously and is trying to make some kind of weird flex. I AM THE HIKING EXPERT so you must listen to me and follow these extravagant safety precautions before this walk that practically anyone who is not actually handicapped could safely do at any given moment with no preparation whatsoever OR YOU WILL DIE. LISTEN TO ME, THE HIKING MASTER

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Evil Willow posted:

The thinking man brings a little backup TP on any but the smallest excursion. Never know if you or someone in your party will need some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Any regular hiker has peed outside probably dozens of times. I have. I even have a trowel and TP in case I get caught short with a dump. I dunno what this guy is on about. Unless a “hike” is a hour’s ramble in a suburban park or something.