Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mors Rattus posted:

Why would you expect him to have had one? New things only get introduced on Mondays.

Because Mookie literally said he did on Twitter, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Because Mookie literally said he did on Twitter, lol

That was two days ago, Mookie doesn't even remember tweeting it

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
If the new normal for The Legacy is an infuriating slog occasionally punctuated by the most repulsive sex you've ever seen it might just kill me.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1466817455184039942?t=Iu_DTKY2Y_EZWGcOt9n-2A&s=19

Tell (in a completely different medium) not show

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So... He had a breakthrough? But that breakthrough... Hit challenges. So... it wasn't a breakthrough.

We don't even know what this "breakthrough" was supposed to be and it's already negated.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Now he gets to research a new dream symbol, three lines at a slight angle! He'll read about it in a book and probably gently caress someone else and somehow overcome it by being a good soft boy who did another Big Lad Cummy, and everyone will dote on him and tell him how great a job he did mashing his hips around while being kind to his friends and being very curious. Then he'll ascend to the asinotaph and dominic will tell him what a good boy he is.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The first printed collection of this comic was called "Curious". The second will be called "Kind", and the third will be called "Horny"

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
If only there were any way for the reader to know what Snout was thinking without having to dedicate a page to him writing about it in his journal afterward.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Apparently Mookie thinks visions are QTEs.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Haven't we already seen three diagonal lines before? So many details just keep dripping out of my brain and I don't want to go back and look.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I hate that my brain just files away this information instead of jettisoning it like it should, but:

that is the symbol for challenges.

I think Mookie thinks this counts as foreshadowing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Beelzebufo posted:

oh my loving god

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Beelzebufo posted:

I hate that my brain just files away this information instead of jettisoning it like it should, but:

Is Snout always off model? Can you be off model if there is no model?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

the vines were already a "challenge"

sex with the bog witch made him overcome a challenge to learn... he's blocked by a challenge

aaararjajkl;ashafippp;dfjkl;kl;df

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

the vines were already a "challenge"

sex with the bog witch made him overcome a challenge to learn... he's blocked by a challenge

aaararjajkl;ashafippp;dfjkl;kl;df

The challenge is gonna be that he needs to help his friends, innit? Of loving course it will.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I thought his friends were the vines that were "holding him back"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Beelzebufo posted:

Yeah, and it's also literally the three symbols that appeared on the water when they first showed up at the chandak's. Like I said, it's like a QTE and apparently Snout pressed the :order: and :renewal: buttons but hosed up the timing on :challenges:.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Billy Gnosis posted:

There's a Steven Universe joke in here.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The page in question from the start of the chapter:

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Beelzebufo posted:

More recently, this chapter started out with the swamp witch using ink from Snout's journal to greet them with those three symbols.

These are the same symbols and the same vision, shown to Snout by the same witch, within the same chapter.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
It's three lines because he has three friends. By trying to call it like this, I'm probably cursing it to be even dumber than I could imagine.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Billy Gnosis posted:

snout's model is in the same place the story's planning is

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Just endlessly hitting his protagonist with the symbol "Warning - Challenges Ahead!" to mask there will never be any actual challenges.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

All I can tell is that Snout needs to overcome and complete these challenges by having sex with all of his friends: Ink Mom, Arudak, Dead Mom and Bort.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

snout's model is in the same place the story's planning is
Part of it's just the normal thing where how a character is drawn changes as the artist draws them more. But I think a lot of it is that Mookie has essentially no grasp on anatomy and his characters are pretty poorly defined in the first place (like it's clear that Mookie really hasn't given much thought to how Snout's nose or ears, or the elbow spikes, for example, work in three dimensions). So when the characters change positions or expressions everything changes because Snout's design, for example, isn't a design, it's an inverted triangle for a nose, stringy hair, chest and arm hair, a clump of boils on the shoulder, and so on. Snout isn't a character design, he's a loosely-connected constellation of mannerisms.

Snout spends the most time "on camera" and so it's most pronounced there, but it happens with all the characters. They're likely to look the same if they're using one of their standard expressions, but whenever they have to emote something other than generic doting (on Snout) the more likely they are to veer wildly off-model:

The only one where Ink Witch looks completely on-model is the one where she's making making eyes at Snout.

I remember seeing a design document from one of the Telltale Sam & Max games where the game designers had given their first draft of the 3d models of Sam & Max to Steve Purcell and he'd made comments, and there was a lot of stuff like the aspect ratio of the tie and anatomy details like where Sam's ears attach to his head and how his mouth is connected to his nose/muzzle. Which is to say that Purcell has worked out not just how his characters look in a specific pose and with a specific expression, but how their parts are all put together and how they behave when the characters move. Mookie really, really clearly doesn't have this kind of understanding of any of his designs, and whenever his characters have to do something that they haven't done before it's a total loving crapshoot how it'll turn out.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

You know, in a better comic, showing symbols in an innocuous manner, only too reveal later that they are in fact deeply important could actually be really fun.

Have something big happen when they show up, moments where the story shifts gears or characters change and grow in a major way, stuff like that.
That way your audience is constantly on the lookout for them, and discussing what they mean and predicting what will happen when they show up.

But it's been like two years since they were shown, and two of them keep popping up all over the place and nothing has happened.
It's like Mookie is desperately foreshadowing some vague plot idea he has, but has no clue how the hell he's going to get too it.

Also the challenge symbol is hilarious, the biggest challenge Snout has faced is the time he felt useless, and he overcame this by moping around until someone gave him a pat on the head and called him a good boy.
Or his other biggest challenge, where someone called him useless and he overcame this by moping around until someone gave him a pat on the head and called him a good boy.

Though I have to say "You will be remembered more for your kindness than your learning" is one of the best stealth burns ever.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm not just marveling at the fact that, except for the unspecified breakthrough (which might not even exist) Snout is literally at the same point he was since he saw those three symbols in the water when the ship crashed. The only knowledge he has is that there are those three symbols, no interpretation has popped up other than the word "Luna" (which he ALSO already knew).

What was the point of banging the bog witch??? Did that actually accomplish anything, or did he really just want some unwashed strange and that's it?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
God it's such a broken understanding of mysticism. No, the symbols you experience are totally the entirety of the everything. You have a dream that shows you the words "ORDER" "RENEWAL" and then you read a book and it says "if you dream about these words, you're dreaming about these things. This is good." Then you go and gently caress a random stranger and have a vision where you see those symbols and it's a breakthrough because THIS time it's... this time it's... it's the words "ORDER" and "RENEWAL" but you remembered what they meant. But now the word "CHALLENGE" shows up! Oh no! It represents itself. Snout must overcome the challenge of the word "CHALLENGE" so he can reach "ENLIGHTENMENT," which is the word ENLIGHTENMENT. Once he reads the word ENLIGHTENMENT he'll become enlightened, which is the state of being able to read the word ENLIGHTENMENT.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i thought originally that the three strokes of ink were... redacting... the information... maybe a subtle foreshadowing of the return of some characters

but nah it's nothing nvm

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Mx. posted:

i thought originally that the three strokes of ink were... redacting... the information... maybe a subtle foreshadowing of the return of some characters

but nah it's nothing nvm

It's going to accidentally turn into the husker du logo when the plot decides to cover the legacy of face bath instead because someone insulted a metal band Mookie likes on twitter

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 4, 2021

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Off topic, but it's real incredible how Ink Witch decided to travel with a guy who looks like his bush is hanging out in the open

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Landfill posted:

Off topic, but it's real incredible how Ink Witch decided to travel with a guy who looks like his bush is hanging out in the open

Honestly, the funniest part of the panel is that there's no difference between how low Snout's pants are and how low the other guy's are. One is wearing pants As Directed, the other is barely holding his up, same height.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
It just hit me that Mookie felt no need to explain the survival of an open-air library, but did feel the need to provide a silly explanation for how books kept inside of a building were preserved.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm not just marveling at the fact that, except for the unspecified breakthrough (which might not even exist) Snout is literally at the same point he was since he saw those three symbols in the water when the ship crashed. The only knowledge he has is that there are those three symbols, no interpretation has popped up other than the word "Luna" (which he ALSO already knew).

What was the point of banging the bog witch??? Did that actually accomplish anything, or did he really just want some unwashed strange and that's it?
Didn't Snout break through the surface of the water?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Rotten Red Rod posted:

According to Mookie's blog entry, "The sex is the point". His previous entry was about the extended travelling sequence "The boredom is the point". I don't think he noticed the irony, but I feel like those titles sum up the comic pretty well.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hah I forgot about that. It'll be pretty funny if we're right about the sex magic thing, effectively making that title a lie. Between the horns sprouting and Snouts dream, I'm not sure what else we're supposed to take from it.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
So now that Snout has learned that sex feels good AND causes magic visions, his next move is gonna be having sex with Ink Witch and Corpsemom (not Arudak, because I don't believe Mookie would ever draw a gay sex scene). He'll get new visions that ?????? and also make everyone happy again because he's a nice, soft boy who's good at sex.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Mutant Headcrab posted:

He'll get new visions that ?????? and also make everyone happy again because he's a nice, soft boy who's good at sex.

I wonder if different bits of his body will inflate each time?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I wonder what magical STDs he'll spread to them from the bog witch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003