Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

is it supposed to somehow work in the dark

yes, have you not tried???

e: this is not a fun prank, face ID is not based on the front facing camera or having light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
FaceID works just fine in the dark!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Referee posted:

I was considering upgrading from my X to a 13 Pro Max or whatever but it looks like at least for Xfinity Mobile all their deals require porting over a number and starting a new line. Guess I’ll keep waiting.

I caved and bought one tonight. :(

Everything seems to have synced over flawlessly with the exception of all of my saved Keychain passwords. Do these usually take longer?

Edit: wound up Airdropping them over one by one which was annoying. This was my exact issue in case anyone else runs into this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/pv0s3w/icloud_keychain_not_syncing_to_new_iphone/

Referee fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 2, 2021

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Anyone ever have all network connectivity on their iPhone just die out of nowhere? Because it happened to me at around midnight tonight.

The phone still says it's connected to 5G, but i have zero connectivity in any apps. And despite WiFi being on, and connected on the Settings -> Wifi screen, the status bar only says 5G.

I've tried turning cellular off and going Wifi only, I've tried turning Wifi off and going cellular only, I've power cycled the phone several times, I've done a "reset network settings", nothing has worked. It's a brand new (as of release date) iPhone 13 Pro and it's super annoying.

I have a Genius bar appointment for 2:30AM (what good is living near a 24-hour apple store if you never use it) but it's really annoying and I'm assuming they're just going to tell me to reinstall the OS, but I can't without any network connectivity!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Not sure if this is the right thread but I don't think there's a dedicated Apple Music thread. I'm thinking of signing up to this Apple Music trial but just had a couple of questions about it:

I know people used to use iTunes Match to "upgrade" old CD rips to Apple's versions of the files from iTunes. Does Apple Music use the same thing? I haven't checked my awful collection from the 90s for disc rot but either way, having an automated upgrade process from the 128kbps (or, embarrassingly, some 96kbps) rips from my youth would be lovely. If this works, do the files still work after the subscription ends or do I need to re-replace it all with my old library again?

On a semi-similar note, if Apple can match my files with songs from their library, will it also be able to assign metadata from my rips (i.e. rating, "loved", play count) with their service in order to build out an instant profile for their personalised playlist stuff?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Not really iPhone only but man the AirTag system and iPhone connection to them works really well. For the first time in my life I left my wallet on top of my car while trying to get the EV charger to charge my car (and being late for work). I then drove for 30 minutes, including highway speeds until I all of a sudden see "You left your wallet behind!" popping up on Apple CarPlay. At first I thought I had left the wallet back at the charging station, but instantly remembered how it works by communicating with iPhone. Ended up turning around and locate my (empty) wallet + contents all over the road. Never found my credit cards, but found my drivers license and my work login card. Took 10 minutes to find (dig out) the AirTag despite it being located down to <10cm due to it of course being a the bottom of a cut down bush with thorns n poo poo.

10/10 would forget wallet on top of car again.... not really but man did the AirTag save my rear end.

Just thought I'd share if someone is on the fence about getting some AirTags.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Question Mark Mound posted:

I know people used to use iTunes Match to "upgrade" old CD rips to Apple's versions of the files from iTunes. Does Apple Music use the same thing? I haven't checked my awful collection from the 90s for disc rot but either way, having an automated upgrade process from the 128kbps (or, embarrassingly, some 96kbps) rips from my youth would be lovely. If this works, do the files still work after the subscription ends or do I need to re-replace it all with my old library again?

On a semi-similar note, if Apple can match my files with songs from their library, will it also be able to assign metadata from my rips (i.e. rating, "loved", play count) with their service in order to build out an instant profile for their personalised playlist stuff?

1. Yes. If you download all the matched files (i.e., delete your crappy mp3s in Finder and then go to download in iTunes) they will still play even if you cancel your sub.

2. I believe high rating == loved but I don't know much about how "the algorithm" works.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Apple Music’s algorithm is nowhere near as sophisticated as Spotify’s, which has its upsides and downsides. Apple Music is more authoritative in recommending you music and most playlists you see are curated by actual people, which provides a more consistent experience, but it can also be totally wrong for you. If you’re mostly interested in algorithmic individualised recommendations, Spotify is definitely the way to go.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

~Coxy posted:

1. Yes. If you download all the matched files (i.e., delete your crappy mp3s in Finder and then go to download in iTunes) they will still play even if you cancel your sub.

2. I believe high rating == loved but I don't know much about how "the algorithm" works.
Thanks! I've just been marking anything 4 or 5 stars as "loved" on my own library. I'll probably keep a backup of my old library just in case but also download the matched files on my PC and then sync. Here's hoping iTunes doesn't still just randomly not sync a huge chunk of music if it's files pulled from their servers rather than stuff that's there on my PC.

Honj Steak posted:

Apple Music’s algorithm is nowhere near as sophisticated as Spotify’s, which has its upsides and downsides. Apple Music is more authoritative in recommending you music and most playlists you see are curated by actual people, which provides a more consistent experience, but it can also be totally wrong for you. If you’re mostly interested in algorithmic individualised recommendations, Spotify is definitely the way to go.
I don't see myself keeping a subscription to either, but figured if I can upgrade the quality of some old rips and at the same time get some suggestions for new songs or playlists, I may as well! My main worry about curated playlists is that it'll just be top 40 music in my country or like big hits from previous years, but I guess I'll find out!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I’ve enjoyed my three month trial of Apple Music on my iPhone and iPad but will not be paying to extend it simply due to no Windows app, and no that piece of poo poo iTunes does not count.

Until there’s a desktop app for Windows AM is dead to me, no matter how cool their animated album covers are.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wheeee posted:

I’ve enjoyed my three month trial of Apple Music on my iPhone and iPad but will not be paying to extend it simply due to no Windows app, and no that piece of poo poo iTunes does not count.

Until there’s a desktop app for Windows AM is dead to me, no matter how cool their animated album covers are.

Have you tried the web player?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wheeee posted:

The web interface works pretty good :shrug:

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

I’m still periodically shocked that Spotify bothered to release a Linux app but they’ve got me hooked with it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone have recommendations for charging stations with speakers built in? Basically what I want to do is set my phone to start playing a playlist at a certain time and play it through a set of speakers, as an alarm clock. This seems like it should be a simple and common thing but I haven't done it since the days of plugging in your standalone mp3 player to an alarm clock through an aux cable. Also, is it possible to do that with the default alarm clock app or do I need some other app to randomly select from a playlist rather than always having the same thing start playing? I feel like having the music constantly switching up will help wake me up since it's not the same predictable noise every morning.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
iCloud tabs stopped working after I updated to iOS and iPadOS 15. Googling hasn't helped me: it's turned on on every device, I've rebooted everything, but I still can't see tabs open on other devices. Am I missing something obvious here?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think mine are out of sync too right now, always happens unless I have the right exact combination of iOS and macOS installed I find.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Xabi posted:

iCloud tabs stopped working after I updated to iOS and iPadOS 15. Googling hasn't helped me: it's turned on on every device, I've rebooted everything, but I still can't see tabs open on other devices. Am I missing something obvious here?

When dealing with iCloud poo poo, signing out and back into iCloud on the problematic devices is a good troubleshooting step.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Endless Mike posted:

Have you tried the web player?

Yea and it just made me question why I wasn’t using Spotify instead.

If you’re all in on Apple AM is a fine competitor to Spotify, but I have no interest in switching to Mac so gently caress em.

Inferior algorithms and playlist sharing don’t help either.

Apple recently bought out a classical music streaming company who had figured out how to categorize and present the infinitude of recordings and performances of classical music in a reasonably comprehensible manner and if they bring that to Apple Music I’ll give it another shot, but right now today it’s broadly inferior to Spotify and while lossless streaming a nice little peace of mind thing knowing that you’re getting ‘the best’ it’s hardly perceptible, and their spatial audio is a lovely gimmick.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 3, 2021

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Jose Oquendo posted:

When dealing with iCloud poo poo, signing out and back into iCloud on the problematic devices is a good troubleshooting step.
Thank you, I hadn't tried that. Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem.

It's quite amazing that Apple can't properly sync stuff in 2021.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Question Mark Mound posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but I don't think there's a dedicated Apple Music thread. I'm thinking of signing up to this Apple Music trial but just had a couple of questions about it:

When I started my Apple Music trial on my phone I had picked the option to sync my music to the cloud. This left me with a library of duplicates.
If I looked at my library and went into an album that normally had 10 tracks, it would show 20. Track 1, Track 1, Track 2, Track 2...
On Apple TV's music player the first copy would pop up a message about the track not being available in my country and then the second copy of it would play.

I spent a good portion of an hour deleting everything through music.apple.com until my online library was cleared.

I got a Macbook a month later and decided to try again through the Music app and everything synced with no issue.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
Out of idle curiosity I just converted my T-Mobile physical sim to an eSIM, leaving the SIM tray free on my iPhone 13 mini.

In a few days I’m receiving an iPhone 12 for work (on AT&T) which I’m considering just taking the SIM from and running as a second line on my personal iPhone 13.

Does anyone have any experience using an iPhone with two lines on two carriers like this? Any oddness I should be aware of? Seems like it’d be nice to not have to carry two phones and to have access to both networks when one is unavailable or whatever.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Honj Steak posted:

I miss Google Play Music for this reason. Their algorithm was spot on and for whatever reason YTM's just doesn't match up. I still can't get used to Spotify's UI fuckin' Google

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Out of idle curiosity I just converted my T-Mobile physical sim to an eSIM, leaving the SIM tray free on my iPhone 13 mini.

In a few days I’m receiving an iPhone 12 for work (on AT&T) which I’m considering just taking the SIM from and running as a second line on my personal iPhone 13.

Does anyone have any experience using an iPhone with two lines on two carriers like this? Any oddness I should be aware of? Seems like it’d be nice to not have to carry two phones and to have access to both networks when one is unavailable or whatever.

That should be fine as long as work is not expecting you to fully manage your device via MDM or something like that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

One thing I don't like is you can't change your SIM in the middle of a text conversation, but that's more of an issue if you're travelling vs having different SIMs for different contacts. Maybe that's changed in iOS 15, I haven't travelled in a while for obvious reasons and actually my second SIM expired because I forgot to add credit, so I can't test it, d'oh. Android is a little better for dual SIM last I tried but still not super smooth.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ijyt posted:

I miss Google Play Music for this reason. Their algorithm was spot on and for whatever reason YTM's just doesn't match up. I still can't get used to Spotify's UI fuckin' Google

I’m very surprised at all the poo poo YouTube music doesn’t have, I’ve been giving it a go since it’s bundled in with YouTube premium and for even fairly popular bands I’ve found whole albums missing in the music section for streaming.

Since it’s plugged into YouTube you can just use some random’s upload of the same songs, but it’s a mess.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Turmoil posted:

When I started my Apple Music trial on my phone I had picked the option to sync my music to the cloud. This left me with a library of duplicates.
If I looked at my library and went into an album that normally had 10 tracks, it would show 20. Track 1, Track 1, Track 2, Track 2...
On Apple TV's music player the first copy would pop up a message about the track not being available in my country and then the second copy of it would play.

I spent a good portion of an hour deleting everything through music.apple.com until my online library was cleared.

I got a Macbook a month later and decided to try again through the Music app and everything synced with no issue.
Yeesh, here's hoping I don't have a miserable experience then! I don't have a Mac but maybe syncing via iTunes on my PC may be the way for me to get started.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Why in sweet gently caress can I not copy voice memos to my iCloud files app?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Laserface posted:

Why in sweet gently caress can I not copy voice memos to my iCloud files app?

You should be able to. I just did it as a test.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I had to enable the files option in the share sheet what the hell

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Ive been looking for this feature and it seems so simple that I thought it would be a slam dunk, but I guess not?

I’d like to use my iPad Pro as a viewfinder for my iPhones camera. Like I could set the ipad up to view and then use phone to look around the tighter spots in my cars engine bay.

Can’t believe this doesn’t exist as a simple/easy feature/app. The only things I’ve seen that come close are to use over the web with an account and all that crap. I want to do it locally over WiFi or something.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Apple Watch can do it. Not quite the same size though.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My daughter has an iPhone 7 and wants a smartwatch to show her calorie/steps count and what not. Is there a compatible option that's not super expensive? Thanks ahead of time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

All the major ones work with iPhone, at the very bottom of the decent stuff the Huawei Band/Band Pro are pretty good and in the middle Fitbit do a ton of options.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

namlosh posted:

Ive been looking for this feature and it seems so simple that I thought it would be a slam dunk, but I guess not?

I’d like to use my iPad Pro as a viewfinder for my iPhones camera. Like I could set the ipad up to view and then use phone to look around the tighter spots in my cars engine bay.

Can’t believe this doesn’t exist as a simple/easy feature/app. The only things I’ve seen that come close are to use over the web with an account and all that crap. I want to do it locally over WiFi or something.

Just get one of the free IP camera apps imo

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

spacetoaster posted:

My daughter has an iPhone 7 and wants a smartwatch to show her calorie/steps count and what not. Is there a compatible option that's not super expensive? Thanks ahead of time.

A friend of mine swears by the Wyze Watch. https://wyze.com/wyze-watch-47c.html

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Used Apple Watch? https://swappa.com/buy/apple/watch

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

My 13 pro max arrived and it sure is pretty.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My only remaining issue with apple watches is the battery life is absolute dogshit compared to most any other wearable, so unless you explicitly want it as an extension of all your phones features it’s a pain in the rear end.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

History Comes Inside! posted:

My only remaining issue with apple watches is the battery life is absolute dogshit compared to most any other wearable, so unless you explicitly want it as an extension of all your phones features it’s a pain in the rear end.

My first Apple Watch was a 5 and it lasted through a day and night for me. I'd recharge it every morning before I'd leave for work.
My series 7 is usually down to 30% when I recharge it the next morning.

Recharging once a day is fine for me at least. I've never had any problem with it. When I had a FitBit that thing went for a week, but all it told me was steps and floors.
My wife had a FitBit Charge and I think it was every couple of days when she was charging that up. It was okay, but once she got an Apple watch she never looked back at it.

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

If *all* she wants is to track her fitness, I'd recommend the Wyze Watch too, just off of price and the added "benefit" of it straight up looking like an Apple Watch but only costing $30.

If she wants a dedicated fitness thing, I'd get a Fitbit; this one to be exact. https://www.fitbit.com/global/us/products/trackers/inspire2?sku=418BKBK