Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

BizarroAzrael posted:

Might have to go back to it at some point, I want very political back then, but still thought it was a bit sus that the Vox Populi had that sudden heel turn when things start going their way, which I assume is the most emblematic of the games argument for centerism.

Booker remarks that Daisy and Comstock aren't so different, and not long after this the Vox devolve into a band of murderous killers who roam the streets shooting everyone they see on sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The opening of Infinite is mostly good and holds up, it’s around the factory where things truly take a dive it never recovers from.

Ignoring the little bell “puzzle” at the start

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

was it the intro where you get the Choice to do a racism with a baseball

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I thought that scene and all the early racism intertwined with the hearkening to a glorious American past stuff worked and then it devolves into both sides bullshit and also kinda ignores the political stuff for the quantum poo poo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Problem with Bioshock Infinite is that the story becomes a huge mess once you start going to different realities.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Groovelord Neato posted:

I thought that scene and all the early racism intertwined with the hearkening to a glorious American past stuff worked and then it devolves into both sides bullshit and also kinda ignores the political stuff for the quantum poo poo.

The heel turn for the Vox is pretty much all of that in one game event. It makes total sense in the Quantum Bullshit Story, their Booker was a ride or die hero of the revolution who died heroically in combat so obviously this new bougie gently caress claiming to be Booker is an imposter who needs to be detained or purged. But then it abandons the "everything Booker touches turns to poo poo" narrative to make Daisy the reason why the revolution got all bloodthirsty because the game is terrified of taking a stance on anything, even though Booker's influence turning the revolution down a dark path makes perfect sense because he's a bloodthirsty psychopath war criminal in every timeline.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

NikkolasKing posted:

So much hate for Chrono Cross because of his LP

if you think TDI's lets play is why people hate chrono cross then I have some bad news

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Chrono Cross slaps.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

if you think TDI's lets play is why people hate chrono cross then I have some bad news

Off topic, so your avatar is the reason I'm now watching a video of a gone girl review :v:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

BigRed0427 posted:

Off topic, so your avatar is the reason I'm now watching a video of a gone girl review :v:

Waiiiit Sorting Algorithms.... isn't that the youtube account Guy Mann/Of Science!/Sleeveless made and tried to plug here after his 100k probations? Did he buy that avatar for a random poster for some reason????

e- oh my god it is, it has the review weird CGI movie he was plugging here

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

JordanKai posted:

Chrono Cross slaps.

It slaps the player (because it is bad)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Re bioshock infinite don't forget they made one final dlc that tries to tie everything up together and it was done with almost every worst narrative choices possible, which includes (big spoilers for an old game series)

Retcon everything so everything is caused by the super God character Elizabeth

Elizabeth having all her omnipotence taken away because she's upset she may have had a random little sister killed in another dlc, buried at sea

The ending of buried at sea had the potential of making Elizabeth an interesting monstrous character (which was already hinted at in the ending of infinite), but they needed to make her a boring Disney princess like Belle so they had to rehabilitate her image for some drat reason

The little sister has no agency other than "to be saved by Elizabeth" so when Elizabeth died in the end for her the player goes "wait what was that whole thing for?"

Them realizing how bad the daisy heel turn was they had to add a scene where other omnipotent characters tell daisy she has to act evil and be killed in order for the greater good : a white girl to become a God

Making Elizabeth responsible for informing atlas the "would you kindly" key phrase that Manchurian candidates the first game protagonist, despite that not being a plot hole to fill in the first game

Somehow they conveniently forgot the events of the second game and Minerva 's den ? Which would be interesting to explore but it smacks so much of "we don't want to acknowledge Team B' s work even though people recognized it having the superior game play (and in Minerva 's case, story) to the first game" its hard to ignore

Even infinite had some horrible plot beats outside the daisy problem, like just having to tie everything to the first game so Songbird turns from a potential interesting nemesis - like boss in the trailer to a literal reinterpretation of the Big Daddy from bioshock 1 that has no function outside cutscenes. And of course the loving ghost buster fight against the dead wife of Comstock, just why

I really enjoyed the bioshock series on face value but that last dlc was so bad it killed my interest in those settings and characters, but apparently the next game set in an antarctic Randian city may make reference to the first game (again)

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Re bioshock infinite don't forget they made one final dlc that tries to tie everything up together and it was done with almost every worst narrative choices possible, which includes (big spoilers for an old game series)

Retcon everything so everything is caused by the super God character Elizabeth

Elizabeth having all her omnipotence taken away because she's upset she may have had a random little sister killed in another dlc, buried at sea

The ending of buried at sea had the potential of making Elizabeth an interesting monstrous character (which was already hinted at in the ending of infinite), but they needed to make her a boring Disney princess like Belle so they had to rehabilitate her image for some drat reason

The little sister has no agency other than "to be saved by Elizabeth" so when Elizabeth died in the end for her the player goes "wait what was that whole thing for?"

Them realizing how bad the daisy heel turn was they had to add a scene where other omnipotent characters tell daisy she has to act evil and be killed in order for the greater good : a white girl to become a God

Making Elizabeth responsible for informing atlas the "would you kindly" key phrase that Manchurian candidates the first game protagonist, despite that not being a plot hole to fill in the first game

Somehow they conveniently forgot the events of the second game and Minerva 's den ? Which would be interesting to explore but it smacks so much of "we don't want to acknowledge Team B' s work even though people recognized it having the superior game play (and in Minerva 's case, story) to the first game" its hard to ignore

Even infinite had some horrible plot beats outside the daisy problem, like just having to tie everything to the first game so Songbird turns from a potential interesting nemesis - like boss in the trailer to a literal reinterpretation of the Big Daddy from bioshock 1 that has no function outside cutscenes. And of course the loving ghost buster fight against the dead wife of Comstock, just why

I really enjoyed the bioshock series on face value but that last dlc was so bad it killed my interest in those settings and characters, but apparently the next game set in an antarctic Randian city may make reference to the first game (again)

The only coherent reading i can figure out of that whole series is one that frames Sophia Lamb as correct but only in the sense that Lovecraft cultists are correct in his books.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I genuinely do not understand why people were in such love with infinite when it came out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was a simpler time. A stupider time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6YO_FyAhyU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

it was the citizen kane of gaming

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

My favorite thing was the kid NPCs are just tiny human NPCs so they look really creepy.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

It was Ken Levine throwing a hissy that someone else played with his toys

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

DC Murderverse posted:

It was Ken Levine throwing a hissy that someone else played with his toys

Yeah, it's not "we don't want to acknowledge the B team despite them doing a better job", it's "We don't want to because they did a better job"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
WaYnE hAS faILed de ChaLLenge again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB2ZgujbQGs

StOhp!

pIhCK meh Uhp!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

To give them credit the opening montage of infinite, including that barbershop quartet singing God Only Knows, and every time you get to breathe and take in all the environmental details like the museum, beach, and the zeppelin, were great.

Too bad about the actual plot other than "the follies of exploring multiple dimensions for your (booker / Comstock) own gain makes every single person's life worse".

I don't know what Levine is doing now other than writing bad screenplays (apparently he did at least one episode of the new twilight zone) but I won't be surprised if he introduces big daddy nfts

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Infinite was kind of a product of its time; I don't think it could have ever been produced at any time during or especially after 2016, but I think the people who made it were more ignorant or dumb than actively malicious or anything.

It was also the first time I ever saw complete rando's in public discussing its story and ideas. Like it was a fairly minor thing in the grand scheme of things but I had never seen that happen for a video game before. Prior to that, the general consensus seemed to be that even games with a decent story just couldn't hold up to "real" media; you had stuff like Planescape: Torment sure, but that was always more of a cult classic rather than a giant hit or anything. Infinite has not held up well at all but I do think it kind of opened the mainstream up to the idea that video games could do more than "Master Chief kills aliens and doesn't afraid of anything", at least a little bit.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

And of course the loving ghost buster fight against the dead wife of Comstock, just why

Because they were sitting on a bunch of ghost assets from one of the original versions of the game where they were just a regular thing (see: the Possession tonic), because Bioshock had ghosts because System Shock 2 had ghosts. Combine that with one of the game's mostly-functional throughlines, each leg of the journey being an exploration of how hosed up and awful Booker is, and you get ghost mom.

Also I read Below the Sea, especially in light of the closing credits song, as Ken Levine explicitly salting the earth to prevent 2K from touching his baby. Leaves no possible out to expand on the story of BS1 or Infinite, every last plot point is tied up in a nasty little bow, they have to reboot the franchise to get anywhere with it. And given there's been endless rumblings of a new game being in development for years now with nothing to show for it, and 2K being a piece of poo poo publisher on top of that, I'm sure it's going just swell.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Wonder if they're still making stuff.

Oh.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

To give them credit the opening montage of infinite, including that barbershop quartet singing God Only Knows, and every time you get to breathe and take in all the environmental details like the museum, beach, and the zeppelin, were great.

Too bad about the actual plot other than "the follies of exploring multiple dimensions for your (booker / Comstock) own gain makes every single person's life worse".

I don't know what Levine is doing now other than writing bad screenplays (apparently he did at least one episode of the new twilight zone) but I won't be surprised if he introduces big daddy nfts

take it with a grain of salt but

https://twitter.com/oopsleaks/status/1464601461770358793

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the flipside zone

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

So still "both sides bad", but at least in this case "both sides" are capitalism and fascism, so it looks like Levine finally got one right... by accident.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
Isn't that literally just Piltover/Zaun?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

So still "both sides bad", but at least in this case "both sides" are capitalism and fascism, so it looks like Levine finally got one right... by accident.

yeah the Wealthy and Free City run by a Successful Entrepreneur is supposed to be bad, you understand Ken Levine

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Isn't that literally just Piltover/Zaun?

Zaun traditionally is much more put-upon thanks to the poo poo rolls downhill principle to my understanding, which is mostly Arcane.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Wonder if they're still making stuff.

Oh.

It's a real kick in the dick, isn't it?

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

nine-gear crow posted:

If it's "both sides bad" I'd be amazed. I'm almost certain the capitalist city will be portrayed as having a good moral foundation but be ruled by bad people and the solution will be more female CEOs.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Weird direction to take Fortnite in but alright.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Which is a more tired concept at this point: “outer space is a lot like the Wild West” or “incredibly literal cityscape with an oligarchical upper elite and a dark undercity ready to explode”?

Tired because they’re regurgitated so often by idiots who want to appropriate the aesthetics of the premise and are too politically cowardly to approach the massive list of challenging topic inherent in either, I mean.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 5, 2021

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

nine-gear crow posted:

That isn’t Levine, he massively downsized his studio a few years after Infinite and has spent the last however long trying to make something, of which all we have heard about is that he used the phrase “narrative lego”

Take-Two has spent just as much time taking pitches for whatever the next Bioshock thing will be. Cloud Chamber is the latest studio to get their hands on it, it was created in the same area that 2K Marin was in with a few heads from that studio but it is still gonna be years before anything pops up from them

edit: I always thought that the coolest idea that would feel of a piece with Rapture and Columbia would be a city built into a mountain or a hollow earth situation

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 5, 2021

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

DC Murderverse posted:

edit: I always thought that the coolest idea that would feel of a piece with Rapture and Columbia would be a city built into a mountain or a hollow earth situation

IIRC one of the original ideas for Infinite was that it was going to be built in a volcano or something.

If we're full-on spitballing about what we'd want the next Rapture/Columbia to be, I'd love to see something like The Raft from Snow Crash. Just like this giant refugee camp turned into weird floating city/cult indoctrination facility run by what is basically Sea Org era L. Ron Hubbard.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

Which is a more tired concept at this point: “outer space is a lot like the Wild West” or “incredibly literal cityscape with an oligarchical upper elite and a dark undercity ready to explode”?

Tired because they’re regurgitated so often by idiots who want to appropriate the aesthetics of the premise and are too politically cowardly to approach the massive list of challenging topic inherent in either, I mean.

I don’t know—I think it just has to be handled by competent storytellers:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They already remade final fantasy seven

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Sean updated their approach to the outrageously transphobic article on the Beeb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfjTG6SVjmQ

Also, Bioshock Infinite sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My brain was too smooth to even buy Bioshock Infinite in the first place. I saw that you had a two gun inventory and immediately lost interest.