Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

I Before E posted:

I don't think they should have cut all three, but paring it down to one and really focusing on that one for comic relief would probably have led to a more interesting set of gags.

The gags would get stronger and you'd probably be able to get them some development, too, but you lose out on the relevance of a spider-multitude and get less chances to flex animation skill. It'd be a tradeoff, but an interesting one.

I vote Spider-Ham for that pick personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
With all the Spider-people they’re intimating for the next film, I’m worried that Miles will get a bit lost in the mix.

Maybe he should get a solo film at some point.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

With all the Spider-people they’re intimating for the next film, I’m worried that Miles will get a bit lost in the mix.

Maybe he should get a solo film at some point.

This'd be my wish in a world where studios are willing to throw money around a lot more and creators time is infinite. So we get a solo Miles Morales story that's more like a traditional Spider-Man story where his supporting cast appear more, we see what his rogues gallery is in a world where the older Spiderman had created a lot of people who have grudges against Spider-Men and new threats have emerged, maybe just Spider-Woman appears since they had a good budding friendship/potential future relationship thing going, etc.

Then we also get the Spider-verse sequel that is probably the one thing we're actually getting where it expands on that crazy worlds colliding feeling and we have more Spider-people and probably a bunch of villains and stuff, it's still great but there's less time for texture and depth for certain characters because there's only so much time in a movie.

I think they actually suggested they might do a Spider Woman spinoff as well with more of the women Spider characters joining her for an adventure but that seemed like a thing that gets announced when hype is high and then falls into development hell so who knows if we actually see it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

thebardyspoon posted:

maybe just Spider-Woman appears since they had a good budding friendship/potential future relationship thing going, etc.

Then he's playing equal billing to her. Let Miles have his own thing!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Better a spider-verse sequel than a clone saga adaptation.

Miles needs a solo movie where he has the signature suit beginning to end. Gwen is worth a spinoff. Peter B had a pretty good ending and should be restricted to cameos. The other three only work as quirky supporting cast. I know absolutely nothing about Miguel and I don't see how he stands out as futuristic when Spiderman is inherently science-fiction.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Then he's playing equal billing to her. Let Miles have his own thing!

I don't think that true at all and thanks for making GBS threads on my idea that I was posting in support of yours but since we're both positing completely hypothetical ideas anyway I'll drop it there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

...are you ok?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I've been thinking, and I think you can can count ITSV as an honorary Christmas movie a la Die Hard, since it's expressly set in winter and it of course has Spidey Bells.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Miles needs a solo movie where he has the signature suit beginning to end. Gwen is worth a spinoff. Peter B had a pretty good ending and should be restricted to cameos. The other three only work as quirky supporting cast. I know absolutely nothing about Miguel and I don't see how he stands out as futuristic when Spiderman is inherently science-fiction.

I imagine Miles and Gwen are the dual protagonists going forward, which is fine by me because I really like them both and think their stories are connected. Also, if there's one lesson I wish Sony would learn, it's that planning solo films for literally every character they have spreads the IP too thin. I'd rather have a really robust series of multi-character Spider-Verse movies than a dozen watered-down spinoffs for everyone that all mostly suck.

Sony keeps doing that poo poo. Before Amazing Spider-Man shat the bed, they were going to make distinct Spider-Man, Silver Sable & Black Cat, Sinister Six, Silk, and Madame Web movies. Now, we're getting more Venom, Morbius, Spider-Woman, maybe Kraven the Hunter, and those aren't even touching the MCU Spider content.

Just make one good series, Sony.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I've been thinking, and I think you can can count ITSV as an honorary Christmas movie a la Die Hard, since it's expressly set in winter and it of course has Spidey Bells.

:hmmyes:

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Not just Spidey Bells, there's the Very Spidey Christmas EP as well.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Yvonmukluk posted:

I can dig it, absolutely a wintery film anyway.

Blonde Peter is such an interesting idea, that instead of having him be much like the 616 Spider-man (present-day, rather than the apparently aged up version that is Peter B Parker) they made him this near-perfect version, one who could confide his identity to his loved ones, found financial security, and was hugely popular. They pretty much take away everything that makes him interesting besides a powerset.

Might not really work to follow him as a protagonist but making him appear as an apparently unattainable ideal for Miles and a trigger for insecurity from PBP (great choice to make him look like Ben Riley) was near genius. Pine makes a great established Spidey, which we'd probably never see in a live action movie since they always start out with him as a teen, albeit a teen who looks about thirty sometimes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I know absolutely nothing about Miguel and I don't see how he stands out as futuristic when Spiderman is inherently science-fiction.

It's mostly the setting, although some of his powers work differently due to his origin (having part of his genetic code merged with spider DNA in a sabotaged experimental procedure). Instead of a spider-sense his vision is enhanced, allowing him to see in total darkness, much farther with clarity than a normal person and perceive things at great speeds that would just be a blur to others; he also has highly sensitive and selective hearing. Miguel's upper canines are slightly elongated into fangs which produce a powerful paralytic venom, and instead of being able to stick to surfaces with whatever magic effect most other spider-people do, he physically latches onto them with small claws on his hands and feet. And finally, spinners just above Miguel's wrists in his upper forearms produce organic webbing, though functionally it's about the same as modern Spidey's synthetic webbing where it counts.

Although speaking of science fiction, his costume is made of unstable molecules like the modern-day Fantastic Four's and lets him use his claws and fangs without ripping it up, and the web cape contains modest anti-gravity technology which allows him a measure of gliding/air control and a parachuting effect that slows his descent in freefall.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It seems implied that Miles' powers may owe more to 2099 than typical, given the Alchemax mark on the spider that bites him, and that he's got additional offensive and defensive abilities.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Miles extra powers make him way more fun to play as than Pete, too, in their respective games. I just end up liking Miles more in everything hes in, really.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The next MCU Spider-Man movie seems to be pretty Peter focused but I'd love to see this idea included somehow.

https://twitter.com/marcbernardin/status/1342245852975300608?s=19

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The 4k UHD Blu-Ray of this is currently $12 on Amazon.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Is Homeward Bound the confirmed subtitle?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is Homeward Bound the confirmed subtitle?

I assume you’re talking about MCU spidey? I don’t think anything’s been confirmed for that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a movie about Peter getting lost in the woods with his spider pals trying to get home.

He lost his phone you see.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

CelticPredator posted:

It’s a movie about Peter getting lost in the woods with his spider pals trying to get home.

He lost his phone you see.

“Peter (B Parker)!”

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Come on! Peter Barker was just there!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/spiderverse/status/1384276847035174920

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Of those three, I'm only familiar with Joaquim Dos Santos for his dope work on Justice League Unlimited and Avatar stuff. But yeah, I'm super excited for this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Alright, let’s do this two more times…

https://twitter.com/sonyanimation/status/1467294398413262850

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

let's loving go.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Dooooooooooooooope

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hiddenriverninja posted:

let's loving go.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That Indian Spider-man's spot there?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus Christ that animation swap looked fuckin' amazing

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
The animation/art style in the second half of that is absolutely incredible

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Why's it gotta be almost a year out tho.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They gave my girl her Chucks. I love it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I love that they made Miles subtly older. Broader shoulders, new haircut. My boy growing up!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

immoral_ posted:

Why's it gotta be almost a year out tho.

This way it comes out in the 60th anniversary year of Spider-Man. I can’t think of a better celebration.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Looks cool. Lord and Miller wrote this one as well, should be p good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

HOW DARE :mad:

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1516949854148255744

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I have faith that they'll use the extra time wisely and it'll be even more dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Its because they need to bring in Ron Howard because the film feels a bit jokey, you know?