Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Homecoming's got page 3 up on the beta server.

Lots of everything! Stone Blast, Stone on Scrappers, Stone Armor and Elec Blast might not suck anymore???

It's only for the new SF for now, but new higher difficulty options with bigger rewards are also pretty neat. Also: innertube.

Electric blast not sucking? That would be a nice change :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i've been waiting since beta for an elec blast that didn't suck

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Elec blast has been great since instasnipe y'all trippin

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Homecoming's newest twist to powerset proliferation hit their Beta server, for those of you who want to see what a Stone/Stone Stalker would be like.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
It would be cool if hide made you an innocuous pile of rocks

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Finally time for my Tremors tribute character.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Just popping in to mention its the day where we say gently caress you NC Soft.

So you know... gently caress em

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Diephoon posted:

It would be cool if hide made you an innocuous pile of rocks

I would absolutely go for an Object Camouflage skin for stealth powers.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Hello Dead Game Thread,

There's another Dev's Choice for Architect Entertainment wrapping up on the Homecoming servers, and as one of the entrants, SA member "Fendahleen" is bringing you another hit in his series of custom missions. I posted about A Game of Thorns previously, so I'm going to share his most recent work here to spread the word, because I don't have any idea if he actually still reads this particular subforum any more and he probably wouldn't self-promote even if he does. Since the theme of this contest was THE HOLIDAYS, I present to you:

quote:

Arc ID: 45220
Author: @boilinghands

(you can search in the AE interface for either of these things and it should pop up)

Description: Lord Recluse has abolished Christmas, and Grandville is in the grip of an anti-Christmas crackdown. Trees are torn down, gifts confiscated, carolers hit with riot hoses, and none dare resist. None, that is, but a rumor-shadowed figure who seeks those willing to defy Recluse's edict -- one the villains of the isles call only "The Sandman..."

The Most Wonderful Crime of the Year is a level 50, alignment-flexible Etoile arc, best experienced at a +?/x4 or higher difficulty level, with bosses enabled throughout and AVs turned on at least for mission 3, where they do more good than harm. Anyone completing the arc between now and the end of December can email me in-game with a brief summary of who their character is, and I’ll reply telling them what their gift from the Sandman was.

It's three missions long and features some familiar CoH characters, humor, eggnog, horrifying violence, and adorable puppies. You can access it from any of the servers so you don't even need to join us on the wretched hive of scum and roleplayers that is Everlasting. There's lots of mission text and dialogue to read, but if you want to just zoom through the drat thing and punch reindeer to death then whatever, knock yourself out.

You may not be able to actually vote the arc into the Dev's Choice, but you can at least vote it 5 to maybe give the judges a little encouragement! Don't let it get beat by the "Dance Party" arc, or the one that's like a bespoke mission set for a furry rat guild? I don't know, I didn't look too closely at that one.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
But more importantly:

Issue 27, Page 3
https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/32758-patch-notes-for-november-26th-2021-issue-27-page-3/

Dr. Aeon Strike Force
Difficulty/Challenge Options
Powersets: Seismic Blast and Earth Manipulation
Proliferation: Scrappers and Stalkers are rockin' it
Revamps: Stone Armor, Electrical Blast, and Dual Blades
IO Sets: Slow Movement and Travel
D-Sync Origin Enhancements
Emotes
Base Items
Costume Parts
...and much more!

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I can't put into words how happy I am that this game is still going, I feel like this is one of the first times that I have actively wanted something from gaming and I've actually received it.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Shoehead posted:

Just popping in to mention its the day where we say gently caress you NC Soft.

So you know... gently caress em

I fully get why NC Soft cut Paragon studios loose. I actually blame Paragon a lot more more for retail COH dying than NCSoft since they were hemorrhaging money even with COH still being profitable.

I just don't know why NC Soft didn't put the game on life support or even build out a small content team to build out occasional new content to keep the F2P train going. It's not like development was going that fast under Paragon. Get a new team to poo poo out new costume pieces and missions and maybe eventually some new sets and finish the incarnate system.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I played this and it was awesome. Jokes everywhere! That totally deserves to win the contest.

One comment: one of the Fortunatas has a description saying Lord Recluse never listens to her because she's a woman. However, all NPC Fortunatas are women.

Judgement posted:

You may not be able to actually vote the arc into the Dev's Choice, but you can at least vote it 5 to maybe give the judges a little encouragement! Don't let it get beat by the "Dance Party" arc, or the one that's like a bespoke mission set for a furry rat guild? I don't know, I didn't look too closely at that one.

OMG serious?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Gynovore posted:

OMG serious?

That's like the least surprising thing knowing the post-NCSoft COH community and how their voting preferences for contests like these go.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Deki posted:

That's like the least surprising thing knowing the post-NCSoft COH community and how their voting preferences for contests like these go.

I was referring to the furry rat SG, is that for real? I mean I know there are a million furry SGs, but... furry rats?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Gynovore posted:

I was referring to the furry rat SG, is that for real? I mean I know there are a million furry SGs, but... furry rats?

i have a friend who's in that SG

it seems a lot like something goons would enjoy, tbh. buncha weirdo rats living underground in a ramshackle sewer town

they had a wonderful thanksgiving dinner

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Gynovore posted:

I just meant furries in general.

From my time loving around in homecoming, I noticed that a lot of groups hosting any community contests either highly prioritized furry entries, or wankbait waifu stuff when choosing winners.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Sea Lily posted:

i have a friend who's in that SG

it seems a lot like something goons would enjoy, tbh. buncha weirdo rats living underground in a ramshackle sewer town

they had a wonderful thanksgiving dinner

:allears:

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I don't know a thing about them, they could be fine as people and as a guild, I just don't like their mission arc !!

But now that I know that they use a sewer as their base I am obligated to destroy them out of professional rivalry, being a member of The Unofficial Roleplay Sewer (admittedly my SG only consists of three members and a few dozen alts, but we do have a sewer base.)

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Deki posted:

I just meant furries in general.

From my time loving around in homecoming, I noticed that a lot of groups hosting any community contests either highly prioritized furry entries, or wankbait waifu stuff when choosing winners.

Look how will we know they have a case of the not-gays if they don't give first place to a default setting female model with skin colored tights

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Deki posted:

I just don't know why NC Soft didn't put the game on life support or even build out a small content team to build out occasional new content to keep the F2P train going. It's not like development was going that fast under Paragon. Get a new team to poo poo out new costume pieces and missions and maybe eventually some new sets and finish the incarnate system.

I don't know every last detail, but it's a combination of:
  • There was bad blood between NC execs and Paragon.
  • NCsoft is probably laundering money for the Korean Mafia (I'm not joking).
  • They thought that when they closed CoH, all the players would migrate to their new pet project, Blade and Soul.
  • NC execs are pant-shittingly stupid.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Wasn't there a thing where NC gave Paragon a bunch of money for a project but Paragon used it for a different project? Or was that just a rumor

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

FrostyPox posted:

Wasn't there a thing where NC gave Paragon a bunch of money for a project but Paragon used it for a different project? Or was that just a rumor

This is what I heard.

COH was a money maker but not a great one, but Paragon took money for a few new games/development, and hosed around and produced nothing with it. So NCSoft was losing money overall on the studio. Again, I don't know why they didn't just put it on life support, but I suppose it wasn't profitable enough to worry about

Nonexistence posted:

Look how will we know they have a case of the not-gays if they don't give first place to a default setting female model with skin colored tights

You joke, but the reason I stopped doing any of the contests (besides how loving long they take), is seeing a premade costume with a single theme-specific icon slapped on the chest win a big contest while the actually really cool and interesting designs that were actually directly themed didn't even get shout outs.

I figured the costume contest crowd was either full of horny nerds or it was incestous and full of people just granting their friends wins and a waste of my time either way.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Judgement posted:

Hello Dead Game Thread,

There's another Dev's Choice for Architect Entertainment wrapping up on the Homecoming servers, and as one of the entrants, SA member "Fendahleen" is bringing you another hit in his series of custom missions. I posted about A Game of Thorns previously, so I'm going to share his most recent work here to spread the word, because I don't have any idea if he actually still reads this particular subforum any more and he probably wouldn't self-promote even if he does. Since the theme of this contest was THE HOLIDAYS, I present to you:

It's three missions long and features some familiar CoH characters, humor, eggnog, horrifying violence, and adorable puppies. You can access it from any of the servers so you don't even need to join us on the wretched hive of scum and roleplayers that is Everlasting. There's lots of mission text and dialogue to read, but if you want to just zoom through the drat thing and punch reindeer to death then whatever, knock yourself out.

this is incredible and everyone should play it

re: costume contests, the first and only time I entered one ended up with a sexy half-naked anime lady in garish red and black winning and a lot of people openly going 'wtf' and/or pm'ing me that i should have won, so, yeah. never bothered with another.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I never participated in a typical costume contest, but I did participate in a "first to meet me at x and has y" contest, where I won a chunk of influence for being the only person to show up with blue skin.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I loved running costume contests and declaring that "Sexy" costumes can gently caress right off. The pubbies tears were drank deeply those days.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
the trick to costume contests is to go in with the expectation that you will lose, but get the opportunity to laugh at all the terrible costumes and/or rip off the good ones for your own later use. but i did once have somebody walk up to me after a contest and hand over several million influence because they liked Dumpster Fire, the flaming hobo. and all i had to do was waste like an entire hour afking at the periphery, tabbing in occasionally to rp emote

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I built a ton of good characters off the spoils of two wins back in the old days, purely by luck. One was a contest hosted by a group with an American hero theme and I happened to be there as Zombie MacArthur, my Douglas MacArthur raised by rituals and lightning strikes blaster zombie (battlecry: I HAVE RETURNED), the other a more generic win with an axe/shield brute just named Dwarven Fighter, who stood around making D&D jokes.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I had similar luck hopping on to Homecoming a while back. I got VERY lucky and took home a generous 3rd place that wound up funding a lot of characters. The funny thing is I recall people being a tad upset because it was just a plain business suit with the crystal ball head named “Sphere of Influence,” but I apparently made the guy running belly laugh for a minute.

The money was nice, but being told about the laughs made my day.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Showing up to the CC with the huge body type looking like a gay pride parade exploded on you and dancing for about 2 hours instead of levelling this alt

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I never won a costume contest, but I did get into a zero stakes robots MM vs ninja MM minion emote dance off with a fellow loser way back when live was going.

God, MM can be such a pain to wrangle but the fact you can literally order your pet army to dance and other bullshit is fairly unique as far as I know.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Section Z posted:

I never won a costume contest, but I did get into a zero stakes robots MM vs ninja MM minion emote dance off with a fellow loser way back when live was going.

God, MM can be such a pain to wrangle but the fact you can literally order your pet army to dance and other bullshit is fairly unique as far as I know.

If they'd let us use the costume creator to customise the pets I would never have had another character.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Section Z posted:

My MMs always have far too many macro buttons assigned to dumb poo poo like minion dancing or saluting or costume changes.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

the best costume contest was the one where someone had everyone do the rock emote and instead of announcing a winner they did the paper emote, said everyone loses, and flew away

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Bakalakadaka posted:

the best costume contest was the one where someone had everyone do the rock emote and instead of announcing a winner they did the paper emote, said everyone loses, and flew away

Holy poo poo, I love it

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Deadmeat5150 posted:

My MMs always have far too many macro buttons assigned to dumb poo poo like minion dancing or saluting or costume changes.

The best thing is that you could load new macro configurations from a text file on your harddrive. I would have my minions perform entire plays, by having macro files for each scene, and then the final macro would load the macros for the next scene. I don't know you if you can still do that.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

SimonChris posted:

The best thing is that you could load new macro configurations from a text file on your harddrive. I would have my minions perform entire plays, by having macro files for each scene, and then the final macro would load the macros for the next scene. I don't know you if you can still do that.

Yes you can.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Bakalakadaka posted:

I remember reading about this after it happened.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Anyone tried rock scrapper yet? Is it good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tabletops posted:

Anyone tried rock scrapper yet? Is it good

Made a stone/stone brute. They tweaked Stone Armor so that it's no longer Granite Armor: The Powerset anymore. Rock Armor is beefier, Minerals buffs your recharge, Crystal gives you endurance (but it still costs endurance so eh).

It's all right but not amazing.