Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

On line one, we have...those turtles

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
ShrreeeDEEERRRR how can you POSSIBLY invite the New Bedford Neutrinos when YOU KNOW I invited the Dimension X Neutrinosssssss!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

FilthyImp posted:

Frasier had them black silk sheets for banging and poor Daph probably scrubbed her share of stains from em

if we go by roz's appraisal of frasier's sex life, well, let's just say they're cleaner than monastery sheets

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I wonder if Martin had to be ridden by Bonnie because of his bad hip.

I need a whole deep dive of how everyone in the frasierverse plows.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

But then, Maris.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Fitfully.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's unfortunate that DHP kept a closer cropped hair style in the last half of the series because when his hair was longer and he did his "human muppet" routine it was the loving funniest thing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Turtles! There's a shell aching for the lash!"

Lmao this episode is so good just for the fact that they have to explain that Roz is dialing into the internet to date online.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

But then, Maris.

"Oh my, yes, we did push our beds together that night, no mean feat considering her room is across the hall!, but then my poor dove turned and fell between the beds. It took Martha all evening to coax her out of there, she was so embarrassed."

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Roz had Niles pegged as a dead fish ("you don't even wrinkle the sheets, do you?") but a late season episode had Daphne remarking that he rocked her world. (This may be explained by his being quite a bit more attracted to Daphne, of course).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cosmik Slop posted:

Roz had Niles pegged as a dead fish ("you don't even wrinkle the sheets, do you?") but a late season episode had Daphne remarking that he rocked her world. (This may be explained by his being quite a bit more attracted to Daphne, of course).

I mean he's probably used to being careful not to break Maris in half.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I started a Frasier binge after finishing my Seinfeld binge. I had to stop with Frasier about S7. I love the show, but man, I got so tired of the "which Dr. Frasier?!?!" and gay panic jokes. I can't believe I left feeling like Seinfeld was the progressive take.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Glottis posted:

I started a Frasier binge after finishing my Seinfeld binge. I had to stop with Frasier about S7. I love the show, but man, I got so tired of the "which Dr. Frasier?!?!" and gay panic jokes. I can't believe I left feeling like Seinfeld was the progressive take.

we post this every 3 pages but frasier had by far the gayest cast of any classic sitcom.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I like the one where niles loses a bet to Marty because a bit character ended up being gay and attracted to Frasier. It was at least an acknowledgment of the fact.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Frasier was way more gay positive than any sitcom of the 90's or 2000's. It's no contest. They were down with showing gay people as human beings in a way that was not characteristic for the time.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Frasier was way more gay positive than any sitcom of the 90's or 2000's. It's no contest. They were down with showing gay people as human beings in a way that was not characteristic for the time.

there are definitely 90s gay-panicky jokes in the mix to be fair to that guy. He's not talking from nowhere and I get someone who just doesn't want to watch any sitcom pre-2014 (it was really recent) because there's just so many gay jokes. The best example of both is the episode where Frasier keeps having sex dreams of gil which has loads of jokes about "Whoa. Two DUDES?! Together?? In bed?!" but eventually just talks to his dad and starts to wrestle with the idea that maybe he is gay with it being treated in that scene as something that happens sometimes.

now the trans jokes that pop up sometimes, there's no defending those.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Yeah like the episode where Frasier accidentally picks up a sex worker could have easily have been just that but for some reason the over the top laughs to be had were by making her trans.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

there are definitely 90s gay-panicky jokes in the mix to be fair to that guy. He's not talking from nowhere and I get someone who just doesn't want to watch any sitcom pre-2014 (it was really recent) because there's just so many gay jokes. The best example of both is the episode where Frasier keeps having sex dreams of gil which has loads of jokes about "Whoa. Two DUDES?! Together?? In bed?!" but eventually just talks to his dad and starts to wrestle with the idea that maybe he is gay with it being treated in that scene as something that happens sometimes.

Do love the bit that ends with dream Sigmund Freud getting into bed with Frasier.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

https://i.imgur.com/C7vYlBL.mp4

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Da na na na na na, flesh is burning

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Rappaport posted:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Is there any an episode where they address Daphne's seemingly limitless task list?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Oh yeah all that stuff still sucks I think there should have been been more in my post talking about just how low the bar was at the time.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Rappaport posted:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
So do you think Claire and Lana would be up for a threesome?

Asking for a Frajer.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

FilthyImp posted:

There's a point where Daphne goes "HAH! IT'S YOUR FAULT IM A FAT PIG HOW COULD I EVER LIVE UP GO YOUR IDEAL IMAGE WHAT IF YOU LEAVE ME"

and Niles keeps badmouthing her shrink. That tanks the show for me

But there's a bunch of solid episodes after that. Mostly solid with some stinkers. Like the classic pot brownie episode.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cosmik Slop posted:

Roz had Niles pegged

I see you've been reading my fanfics

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Calaveron posted:

At least Cheers establishes that all the main characters have a (gigantic) tab
What you will forever notice if you let it is how many cups of coffee and club sodas Sam drinks throughout the show

Sam is supposed to be a recovering alcoholic so it fits.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
You're not the Crane I want!
You're not even the sex I want!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My dad worked in radio in the 90s, so Frasier brings back a lot of nostalgia for that era. Roz and Bulldog are real people, and they existed at every station ever.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

But there's a bunch of solid episodes after that. Mostly solid with some stinkers. Like the classic pot brownie episode.

Mel and Donny are where I start losing interest in the show but you're right -- even in those rough backend seasons there's some great stuff.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Cosmik Slop posted:

a late season episode had Daphne remarking that he rocked her world.

Yeesh, thats what I want out of Frasier alright.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i stopped reading the thread did anyone ever do anything with my comprehensive timecode list of every single utterance of le cigare volant?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i stopped reading the thread did anyone ever do anything with my comprehensive timecode list of every single utterance of le cigare volant?

Send it over and I will try to make a supercut.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Yeah like the episode where Frasier accidentally picks up a sex worker could have easily have been just that but for some reason the over the top laughs to be had were by making her trans.

At the time it would have been pretty well understood to be a reference to Eddie Murphy, who got pulled over for picking up a sex worker who was a trans woman. He maintained that he was just giving her a ride home.

I'm not saying it's a good reason, cause it's a lovely reason! Just that that's the reason.

(Murphy's Wikipedia page doesn't mention the incident at all.)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Phy posted:

(Murphy's Wikipedia page doesn't mention the incident at all.)

Which is weird because the person in question has a page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shalimar_Seiuli

Very sad, brief life after that...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Which is weird because the person in question has a page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shalimar_Seiuli

Very sad, brief life after that...

Oh wow yeah that isn't believable at all lmfao.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Oh wow yeah that isn't believable at all lmfao.

quote:

Clad only in her bra, pants and a towel, police suspected that Shalimar was locked out of her apartment, and tried to use her towel as a rope to slide down from the roof then swing to an open window, but instead, she fell five floors and suffered severe head trauma, resulting in her death.

Oh come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do love the bit that ends with dream Sigmund Freud getting into bed with Frasier.
Thinking back, I remembered that Seinfeld presents Susan in a temporary lesbian relationship. Prior to that George has a lot of gay panic, which is always discussed after the fact behind closed doors like some crime has been committed (I think it moved! No George, it's gotta be touched). Of course George wins her back, so there we are. Susan dies licking stamps, which, since this is SA, must be a euphemism for something.

Frasier felt more sincere, honestly. There are multiple attempts to get gay dates for our heroes. The Frasiers are obviously the brunt of some jokes, their friends laugh at the situation, and obviously a pair of psychologists tries to analyze things. In the end though, it feels like they point to the psych being their own issues, so the ultimate message is "no, gays don't have psych issues (like the 30s--80s)". Meanwhile we have half naked gay Guys in bed and the stories always acknowledge who those characters honestly are.

Frasier seems much more negative toward the women that get dumped, and the one-episode friends they try to make that get treated terribly. Did they have time to show a positive gay relationship? Sure. Was it the right time? Ratings maybe said no.