Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I love it!

"Oh don't you feel sorry for these poor fools that have invested their entire life into this runaway train?"

NO! I hope these swine take out a second or third mortgage to pay for a jpeg of a ship that not only won't exist but CANNOT exist!

There were lulls (and lolz) but this has the feeling of desperation. They buy expensive office space, in the midst of the pandemic, and crow about it.

It's madness!

edit: taxxe

Plan R fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

That’s what happened at Mboto Gorge.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/qb9aHr0.mp4

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Gynovore posted:

I think Cracked was always all freelance, not sure. I know Seanbaby used to write for them but not anymore.

It's complicated: https://www.reddit.com/r/BestofCracked/comments/ibq45q/the_complete_story_of_what_happened_to_cracked/

Seanbaby and Robert Brockway landed on their feet, by the way: https://1900hotdog.com/ and https://www.patreon.com/1900HOTDOG

They talk about writing for Cracked on their (very, very good) podcast sometimes. Long and short of it is that executive meddling and rewrites made it really frustrating.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 4, 2021

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sometimes this community surprises me... did you miss it? posted:

I rarely make new threads because there are plenty of others who are observant and like to get in there first and I'm happy to join their discussions.. but the watchers seem to have missed something monumental this time... when it arrives it's going to be a true game changer.

Deformable structures in the game, ships that bend and deform with damage/impact. No more 'auto breaking off' of a hit point pre-determined damaged part, the structure itself will have material properties that persist. Soft body deformations. Wings, engine nacelles and landing gear bent, mangled and hanging off. The ships hull actually deforms and affects the structural integrity. Ships with cracks and holes in them.

In an online MMO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGIKKpZJDeg

quote:

I stopped being excited for this kind of "feature talk". I want actual results. This is nice and all but if I can't see it in game it's pointless. At this point in time I ask myself when, way before any other question.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

I'm pretty sure noted flop MMO all points bulletin had that kind of damage way back in 2010.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Man that structural damage will be a GAME CHANGER in a space shooter where most of the time you can't clearly see the other ships you're fighting to actually notice the damage they're taking!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Man that structural damage will be a GAME CHANGER in a space shooter where most of the time you can't clearly see the other ships you're fighting to actually notice the damage they're taking!

i mean, i thought they had damage states and dynamic damage for years now, shows A) how much I know and B) how much anyone cares

it's all just shoot until the little red bars goes to zero and poo poo flies off, or it dies

i fully anticipate this will also result in all sorts of hilarious bugs as stuff flies off and collides with other parts of the ship

remember when for years they had the stupid space station ring as a massive bug, it would clip through stuff, jitter and stutter like a clock with palsy, or rotate on the wrong axis, and the time someone figure out how to enter it like a cockpit and pilot it around

please bring back more hilarious bugs like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgagZMXogDM

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
CIG introducing soft body physics surely won't result in a half baked and completely broken implementation that is only applied to 1 ship and brings the server to a halt whenever it takes damage.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Don Gato posted:

I'm pretty sure noted flop MMO all points bulletin had that kind of damage way back in 2010.

quote:

Erm.. sorry. Help me out... which of those games has billion kilometre cubed play space? Millions of square kilometres of open ground play space? Fruit trees? I have played all versions of ARMA and I have never seen soft body deformation in it. I haven't even seen a tree damaged by a tank shell explosion outside of mods, I know they have damage states for vegetation, they are listed here: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Vegetation_P3D. I know there is a guy who made a fire propagation and building destruction mod for ARMA 3 but it is not in the released game. Do any of the games you mention have an NPC background cast of 9 NPC's to every player - or more if you happen to come into a system all by your lonesome - 9 NPC's would make the place look a bit deserted no? Mag stripping? Volumetric clouds and dynamic weather? Millions of cargo boxes that get scraped and dented?

You mention GTA - that's interesting because I've played all the GTA's for hundreds of hours and I know that after thousands of millions in sales and decades of iterating on the same game and engine that you have a loading screen to go into a building. You have to go to a full screen menu to use a computer, no way to see anyone come in behind you in multiplayer mode - but of course no-one can, can they? Electrically driven belt fed machine guns on helicopters and rocket launchers can't break plate glass windows, or even leave a mark - which is OK since you can't see any player through those windows. Despite decades of central locking and remote immobilisers in the real world you still smash a car window (which magically disappears) and there is no interior to the cars to move around in so you don't miss the lack of glass fragments anyway. There is no bending and squashing in any GTA at all, there are fairly low detailed models and there is a set of damage state models that spawn in on impact which is why there are so few car models (because each has many damage state versions of it) and as soon as you hijack one you suddenly see dozens of the same model around the place because for every car you see on the street there is about 10 - 20 damage state cars for that model loaded into memory ready to instantly replace the car that get's 'damaged'.

Just saying, this is not an e-peen thing, each is their own unique entity... it's just... like for like? Apples to apples?

I'm not sure that you understood real time in engine soft body deformation and the difference between it and pre-made damage states. Soft body deformation means that when you go lie down in your ships bed an imprint is left on the sheets and pillow, and it remains there until the next time something deforms it.

Otherwise I agree, if they say they can and will do it, they will... but the scope is a little different to all the ones you mention. Also 'destructible' is not the same as 'deformable' - does War Thunder put you into the game with planes that were damaged in your last play session, in the same state you left them? Can you walk around inside the bombers? Games have multi-damage state models that load instantly so fast you think it is the actual damage occurring in real time. They can do that because their models and environment are so very simple and low detail.

When indeed? I prefer to look at it this way - no matter how long, if not CIG who would even try at this scale? Of course we don't know because no developer has created a first person universe at this scale before.

[EDIT] I didn't know anything about War Thunder but I went off to do some digging. Watched Youtube gameplay videos - comparing it to Star Citizen level of detail is kinda laughable. I found this: https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/397449-spalling-damage-and-armor-deformation/

quote:

Among all the differences between WOT and this game, the most fundamental one in ground battles is that WT doesn't use HP system (vehicle-wise at least), but relies on (arguably) realistic model of ballistics and damage factors one would expect in a tank battle game.

However, I think that the game as it is now, has ignoring all else, two flaws.

1: There is no spalling damage.

Near penetrations should yield at least small damage to crew and components as spalling was, and still is, a real concept in armored warfare. For the unknowledgeable, spalling, is an effect where, due to partial or near penetration, the armor material in the area where the vehicle was hit is sent flying, propelled by the force of the projectile, turning your greatest ally, your armor, into your undoing as your crew gets covered by fast flying shrapnel torn off from the insides of the armor. The determinant factor in this is armor steel hardness (the harder the armor, the more difficult it is to penetrate, but this also means more frequent and severe spalling), and the caliber, and force of the projectile hitting the vehicle.

The reason I believe spalling should be implemented is to give people who get uptiered (as do often I in my panthers, one tiger II is usually enough to lock me down and render me utterly impossible to fight back). Spalling should cause damage to the insides that is, I have already mentioned, dependent on armor hardness and how far, and with what force, the vehicle was hit. I believe this would make the playerbase much happier as the battles wouldn't simply devolve into the contest of luck determinant whether you got favorable, or unfavorable matchmaking.

2: There is no armor damage/deformation.

Hitting several times in one place should make the armor yield, depending on what area was hit. This is not really a difficult concept and I am sure everyone here understands that a metal plate bulged out of it's shape will have it's AP resistance severely diminished, as tanks often rely not only on the thickness of their armor, but also it's shape. Again this would provide players with unfavorable matchup a fighting chance and would even out the spikes between different vehicle BRs.

War Thunder has no geometry inside any vehicle, there are no player manipulated controls, it is just simulated. There is no player model avatar animated. It is basically a painted shell. In the planes you have a dashboard for a cockpit, that's it. There is no superstructure modelled under that skin.

I've searched and there seems to be no released game that has a real time in engine soft body deformation system in an open world environment. There are addons for it in Unreal Engine 4 and 5 but they are limited in scope and aren't used in any released game. Here's a demo of it in UE4. Notice that the demos are all very small scale, with very simple models... yet this is what John Crewe was talking about them putting into Star Citizen. Imagine your ship behaving like the white car, imagine being inside it when it does crumple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZdHC2XYlG4

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 4, 2021

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The revolutionary new MMO with deformable brains

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

War thunder does actually model the superstructure and components though, just not in the insane way Citizens seem to want them to.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
this guy is just utter idiot

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
This kind of mindless, cultish behavior just really gets to me.

I knew somebody that was very susceptible to these sorts of things.

At first it was kind of cute but then it progressed and more money was being spent. Promises for things down the road that, to this very day, do not exist.

Eventually we grew apart.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
star citizen: imagine

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

cmdrk posted:

star citizen: imagine the poople, living life in grief

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Mirificus posted:

quote:
I stopped being excited for this kind of "feature talk". I want actual results. This is nice and all but if I can't see it in game it's pointless. At this point in time I ask myself when, way before any other question.

Uh oh. We got us a heretic here. Time to rip that Star Citizen patch off of his uniform.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

cmdrk posted:

star citizen: imagine

lmao full circle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJJ9TcGxhNY

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

quote:

If Interested in SC or space themed mmo experiences. Would you appreciate extensive content that elaborated more on gore/nudity and displayed visually further w/elaborate medical play, wounds/dismemberment, drug use etc if there was a menu filter available & done appropriately w/out excessive use?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

well, there it is. as far as imagination goes, they've delivered.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Blue On Blue posted:

remember when for years they had the stupid space station ring as a massive bug, it would clip through stuff, jitter and stutter like a clock with palsy, or rotate on the wrong axis, and the time someone figure out how to enter it like a cockpit and pilot it around

Oh my god, I'd forgotten about that. Didn't they eventually just give up on having the ring spin at all? Did they ever figure out a way to have it spin somewhat reliably?

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 5, 2021

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Why can't you swim in zero g? There's air to push against, that's how birds fly.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

pisshead posted:

Why can't you swim in zero g? There's air to push against, that's how birds fly.

you 'can', but not well.

Air doesn't offer enough resistance to 'push' off of. It's not nearly as thick.

At sea level, water is about 1000x denser than air.

Birds are incredibly light for their size, and have a MASSIVE surface-area-to-weight ratio of their wings; which lets them push a lot of air around to get much thrust.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

akkristor posted:

you 'can', but not well.

Birds are incredibly light for their size, and have a MASSIVE surface-area-to-weight ratio of their wings; which lets them push a lot of air around to get much thrust.

Well, in zero G I have no weight and therefore can fly like an eagle with my hands.

--C.R.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

akkristor posted:

you 'can', but not well.

That's why jet nipple tech was invented.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

punishedkissinger posted:

War thunder does actually model the superstructure and components though, just not in the insane way Citizens seem to want them to.

It even models the crew, too. You can watch the little guys wrangling the turrets and equipment internally/externally and it does model fragments inside that may hurt or incapacitate them if they're behind various qualities of armor and components.

It's really neat and, importantly, contributes to gameplay! If you're in aircraft your flight model is changing substantially as you lose pieces and rough maneuvers can overtax sections of your plane and damage/break them. If crew get hurt, vehicle operations start to suffer!

I didn't read all that guy's bullshit but SC will never, ever approach the level of modeling that WT did the last time I played years ago.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

DigitalPenny posted:

I really hate the excuse that excuse that they had to build a studio, setup a company and are working on two full AAA games so you cant compare CIG to those sucseful companies.

Its defending what a terrible idea that is.

Having no experience what so ever I'm going to start a company building fusion powered submarines and helicopters. After I decade and nearly a billion dollars I have nothing to show for it. That's ok because I had to build up the company and starting off by making something simple is lame. Look at those other trash companies churning out crap petrol powered choppers for a quick buck.

What backers will mention is CIG may have had 6 employees when the kickstarter launched, but they ignore the tidbit by the 12 month mark, they had well over 100 employees accross 2 studios, that is more than what respawn had when they made titanfall.

Chris has experience from founding digital anvil in the 90's, but himself and many others that are or were at the top in CIG, they have not evolved from practices that were dated by the late 90's.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I can't find the exact quote, but I believe what it was is that every car in Need For Speed needed to have an invisible gun object inside it or the vehicle wouldn't be "accepted" as controllable by the player by Frostbite. Battlefield games mostly have vehicles with guns, so they don't have that issue (or if they do, they probably used the same workaround).

Now imagine trying to use that engine to make an RPG and you get an idea of what the Bioware devs went through to make DA:I and ME:A. Dragon Age had more time and the better team so it came out ok (although the load times are loving awful on console). Mass Effect... Didn't.

Also remember that the amount of dev time you got from the frostbite team was decided by how much money your game earned, this meant that anytime the FIFA team wanted better sweat particles or something the frostbite team dropped whatever stupid poo poo Anthem needed like a workable inventory ect to make the best sweat tech in the biz.

It's also notable how Respawn bargained an exception to this rule and made Apex in the source engine and Jedi Fallen order in unreal.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Respawn was working with Source from Titanfall 1. Speaking of, Titanfall 2 was an amazing piece of sci fi gaming and while not a space game, it left a standard that's hard to reach for new titles.
Hopefully we'll get Titanfall 3 some day.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Chronojam posted:

It even models the crew, too. You can watch the little guys wrangling the turrets and equipment internally/externally and it does model fragments inside that may hurt or incapacitate them if they're behind various qualities of armor and components.

It's really neat and, importantly, contributes to gameplay! If you're in aircraft your flight model is changing substantially as you lose pieces and rough maneuvers can overtax sections of your plane and damage/break them. If crew get hurt, vehicle operations start to suffer!

I didn't read all that guy's bullshit but SC will never, ever approach the level of modeling that WT did the last time I played years ago.

the difference is, War Thunder actually exists. like, you can play it, and it's good, but it is also well-defined and concrete in what it is and what it does (as all things that exist are). more importantly, it's quite clever about what it doesn't do, which in turn allows it to simulate hundreds of km3s-worth of space, and dozens of players piloting somewhat-realistically simulated craft through that space, and thousands of somewhat-realistically simulated projectiles that these players lob at each other, and to render all of this at fairly smooth frame rates even on a low-to-mid-range PC

what War Thunder can't do - unlike Star Citizen - is provide fuel for endless speculation about what it could be (someday, hopefully, maybe, after another 10-odd years in pre-alpha) . because in order to do that, it would have to not actually exist. the fact that it does exist puts it at a severe disadvantage against the warm fuzzy cloud of speculation and dreams.txt that is Star Citizen

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Your beloved ARMA doesn't have fruit trees. Checkmate, fudster!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

stingtwo posted:

What backers will mention is CIG may have had 6 employees when the kickstarter launched, but they ignore the tidbit by the 12 month mark, they had well over 100 employees accross 2 studios, that is more than what respawn had when they made titanfall.

They also overlook the fact that, from the very start — before the funding campaign — he made heavy use of contractors, and has continued to do so to this day. How many people were employed at CI¬G proper at any given time is an almost completely irrelevant data point.

It was never a scrappy little team; it was always more guys than he could really afford, and he's a serial company-former as the various company registrar data dives have shown. “Building a company” is probably the only thing Chris has ever had a knack for and is something he does in his sleep.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Sandweed posted:

Also remember that the amount of dev time you got from the frostbite team was decided by how much money your game earned, this meant that anytime the FIFA team wanted better sweat particles or something the frostbite team dropped whatever stupid poo poo Anthem needed like a workable inventory ect to make the best sweat tech in the biz.

It's also notable how Respawn bargained an exception to this rule and made Apex in the source engine and Jedi Fallen order in unreal.

I'd like to add on that using Frostbite was Bioware's decision. They could have used Unreal if they wanted to.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tippis posted:

They also overlook the fact that, from the very start — before the funding campaign — he made heavy use of contractors, and has continued to do so to this day. How many people were employed at CI¬G proper at any given time is an almost completely irrelevant data point.

It was never a scrappy little team; it was always more guys than he could really afford, and he's a serial company-former as the various company registrar data dives have shown. “Building a company” is probably the only thing Chris has ever had a knack for and is something he does in his sleep.

the pitch video wasn't even made by Chris or any of his team, it was outsourced

basically anything that has ever 'worked' for the development has been created by someone else

initial pitch video, outsourced
star marine, was outsourced
most of the mocap, outsourced (even though they took money to build their own mocap studio)
the website, outsourced

you'd be hard pressed to find something CIG has actually made, that didn't involve paying someone else to help create it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fidelitious posted:

I'd like to add on that using Frostbite was Bioware's decision. They could have used Unreal if they wanted to.

I've seen that article and just because a manager at Bioware says "it was our decision" doesn't mean it's the whole story. The mandate doesn't need to be explicit - it could have been very heavy pressure from EA on Bioware higher ups with an understanding that they'd get reduced funding or resources from an engine they have to pay licensing fees on. And the decision was likely made by Bioware executives, NOT the actual developers who had to work with the engine, who probably either weren't able to speak up or had their worries fall on deaf ears.

Either way it was a failing of management at both EA and Bioware. Whether there was an explicit "mandate" is irrelevant. Hell, after the fiasco of ME:A, they STILL used Frostbite for Anthem. They should have known the issues at that point, and they still went that direction.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Ashes of Creation is the only other big MMORPG I have any hope for whatsoever. If you're interested in PvP, Mortal Online 2 is releasing soon. I could not agree more, though. I hear a lot of talk on here about whether or not Star Citizen will be "the one", but the reality is that Star Citizen is the only hope. I was getting ready to quit gaming altogether until I got back into Star Citizen earlier this year. There is nothing else, and there may never be. This is it.

CIG is the only company in the last 10 years to actually attempt to push the MMO genre to its true potential, beyond the now-antiquated themepark MMORPG formula. Long live Chris Roberts.

quote:

CIG is producing my ultimate game. Whether they succeed or they not, no one has ever been closer to delivering anything of this caliber. This project has been a ray of hope throughout the lockdowns, and following it has continuously given me something to enjoy and look forward to in a hobby that I have been unhappy with for the better part of a decade. Anyone who knows me will know that there is no game that I am not very critical of, including this one, but I've already gotten my money's worth out of Star Citizen, and it will continue to be part of my life for years to come.

Given that, does jokingly wishing Chris Roberts success in his endeavor seem so absurd?

quote:

Of course Star Citizen doesn't have a good reputation. It was supposed to release 7 years ago, and it's still in alpha. You know what else didn't have a good reputation in the gaming community?
  • FFXIV
  • Sea of Thieves
  • No Man's Sky
  • Battlefield 4
  • ESO
  • Rainbow 6 Siege
The gaming community is quick to forgive these days, when developers put in the time and effort to deliver a good product.

I wouldn't say that my expectations are too high. I do not expect to see a finished product for another 7 years at least, and all I expect is half of what has been promised. Will Star Citizen be life changing? Maybe so, maybe not, but it's the only game that may even have a chance. I haven't enjoyed a multiplayer game in 5 years, and God knows I've played every new release, but Star Citizen is the first one that made me feel like I was back in the golden age again. This game has character and ambition unlike anything else.

I understand your cynicism, but you have to realize that I am not blindly hopeful for Star Citizen, so much as I am militantly pessimistic about everything else. I just finished quitting my 27th failed multiplayer game this year. After every crushing disappointment, Star Citizen is the only thing I can fall back on and enjoy.

At this point I've just accepted that there will never be anything else. It's the same every year, trying to fill the void left by the games I used to love with garbage that can't hold my attention for more than 50 hours. Funny thing is that I know dozens of guys like this. The majority of my old gaming friends just hop from new release to new release, never really committing to anything or feeling satisfied. That's just the reality of gaming now, it's trash. The only constant in this never-ending cycle of disposable games is Star Citizen. This isn't just another MMO, this may be the only game that can set an example to guide the entire industry.

...or gaming may never recover, and we'll all be locked down for the next 20 years watching bad Netflix remakes and reminiscing about a time when we at least had hope. For now, I will enjoy that hope.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have a massive back log of games I really want to play and ever more are coming out. There is a lot of great stuff being produced by small studios and indie devs right now but yeah sure I guess Chris Roberts is going to save this $150 billion dollar industry.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Popete posted:

I have a massive back log of games I really want to play and ever more are coming out. There is a lot of great stuff being produced by small studios and indie devs right now but yeah sure I guess Chris Roberts is going to save this $150 billion dollar industry.

personally I agree with much of what the citizers are feeling about the gaming industry. many of the AAA titles in the past few years have sucked and seem that they'll continue to suck. BF2042 for example was a humongous recent disappointment for me, with Cyberpunk being a passable wet fart last year. part of it is accepting the reality that i'm getting older and I'm not the target audience anymore, but part of it seems to be that the large studios have lost some capacity to make technically ambitious games. and I get why Citizers feel like SC has a glimmer of hope, but most of the poo poo they're promising would be groundbreaking work in real engineering domains. i'm sure :crobear: is actively building the company, licensing their fluid dynamics solutions to SpaceX, server meshing technology to Amazon, and AI GodTech to Google.

i seriously wonder if all of the old wizards of game dev have retired, been promoted above being a technical contributor, or left for Valinor. :trustme: in this scenario of course is a wizard groupie who donned the robe and hat and pretends to be throwing lightning bolts while shouting "pschew! pschew!" in an apparently convincing act for the masses.

So for example, my biggest beef is that multiplayer games for the last decade have been basically locked to 4 players or less. take a game like Battlefield.. sure you can have 128 players in an empty field.. but you can't have a squad bigger than 4, same for any indie game but I give them a pass since the studios are small. I guess consoles are partly to blame. still, the standard M.O. for gamedev studios of all sizes these days seems to be, "have more than 3 friends? go gently caress yourself". It's very frustrating to have 5 or 6 people sitting in deadlock in teamspeak because no one wants to exclude anyone, and we're tired of playing Don't Starve Together or RTS games from 1997. Chris Roberts, save us!!!

Multiplayer in particular seems to have a certain illness these days. Any new multiplayer title seems to lose half of its player base every 3-6 weeks after release, til they stabilize around to less than 500 players or totally collapse. Take for example a game like Starbase, a hyped up space game in a vein of Space Engineers. it had an early access launch to about 10,000 players on Jul 31. By August 31 it had dropped to about 4,000. At the end of September, 2000. It's steadily leaked players until stabilizing today around 300 players at peak. Same deal for Lost Oasis, another PvPy survival game: I wanted to buy in, but by the time I saw it on sale it had dropped from 30,000 players at peak to less than a thousand. This isn't unusual, but it sure does suck to know that any multiplayer game I buy is going to be enjoyable with a thriving community for 6 months _at best_. So much of this feels like developers are hyping things up, releasing it in some half-assed form and running with the cash. So I can see where the citizers are coming from.. but CI!G is perhaps the biggest offender here by simply never releasing after taking the money :v:

that's just one source of frustration for me and i'm sure a lot of other people. and I can see why someone might be excited for SC when viewed through that lens. They've promised it'll be everything to everyone, so of course it's going to fix all woes with gaming. Meanwhile Turbulent and other contractors slowly walk back all of the promises behind the scenes.

In the end, I predict there will be a Duke Nukem Forever-esque release of "Squadron 54: Prelude" in a few years as the money dries up and/or the Calders try to start squeezing blood from a stone. It will of course be universally panned and mocked for the Mess Hall Scene. Chris then absolves himself of all issues, blames external pressures such as contractors, pandemic, etc, and finally takes a big cheque to exit the company while remaining on as a "creative consultant". Turbulent takes over the PU, which shambles on for another 5-10 years, and the game dies as a wet fart of 40 player servers and 3 to 5 lifeless star systems with randomly generated missions taking place on copy-pasted caves and industrial assets.

yep, AAA games suck. big publishers like ActiBlizz and EA suck. but SC and CI!G is so far past AAA development time and budgets that they've become the exception that proves the rule.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

cmdrk posted:

yep, AAA games suck. big publishers like ActiBlizz and EA suck. but SC and CI!G is so far past AAA development time and budgets that they've become the exception that proves the rule.

I'm not sure CI¬G is much of an exception. They just further demonstrate the truth of Sturgeon's law: that sucking is the default position, and they're no different than the other 90% that also suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think people fall into a trap that all AAA games have to be ground breaking masterpieces. I get that in the 90's and 00's it felt like every year there was some huge genre defining game coming out and that's less of a thing these days but I don't think that means there aren't good AAA games. Just to name a few Red Dead Redemption 2, Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Kingdom Come Deliverance, DOOM and to a lesser degree Cyberpunk 2077 were big successful games and PUBG/Fortnite well no longer my cup of tea did spawn a new genre.

There has been a definite shift in AAA games focus though that is true. Those huge graphically intense and detailed games are incredibly expensive to produce and take a ton of developers which means only a few large studios are going to make them and they want to be sure it'll be at least moderately successful so they tend to be less ambitious. AAA games are not where I go to look for innovative game play for the most part save for Breath of the Wild and Kingdom Come: Deliverance which I felt both were really ambitious. There's a ton of interesting stuff going on with small developers and indie devs, stuff like Dwarf Fortress, Caves of Qud in the rogue-like space and Paradox grand strategy games (which could be considered AAA) and the Grognard space is finally looking like it's beginning to expand beyond a very small niche closed community with games like Ultimate General/Ultimate Admiral and Slitherine getting publishers to put stuff up on Steam finally.

Just about every genre has a lot of ambitious smaller dev teams making some really cool stuff. Sure they might not have complex 3d graphics and ray tracing but the actual game play is innovative and they're doing creative things to push gaming forward. I feel like a lot of Star Citizen backers are stuck in this 90s mentality that new games have to look better and be bigger/more complex than previous games in order to be considered as pushing boundaries.