Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

FreudianSlippers posted:

His name means Spearwielder Deathskin (or Hell Skin if you prefer)
Of the Goteborg Deathskins?

EDIT: viking snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

Of the Goteborg Deathskins?

EDIT: viking snipe.

No, the New Hampshire Deathskins

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I know the "viking graffiti at the hagia sofia" is kind a cliche cool-history-fact, but I really like how it completely breaks people's pre-conceptions about how isolated people were in Ye Olden Times. It's all too easy to think of history as a bunch of discrete peoples and events that never interacted at all.

Yeah, and there are examples of Norse artifacts with decorations that are okay imitations of Arabic script with Islamic religious phrases. Doesn't mean the dudes who made them were converts to Islam, probably more like someone brought some souvenirs from abroad and thought they looked cool so wanted to make their own.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean the Scandinavians were racist because everyone was. Not in the modern sense of white versus black but in the classical sense in that you were extremely racist against everyone that wasn’t your people.

On the other hand, whenever the Norse settled in a place which already had a significant population, they vanished in a couple of generations due to marrying locals. No shits to give for 'racial purity'.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Groke posted:

On the other hand, whenever the Norse settled in a place which already had a significant population, they vanished in a couple of generations due to marrying locals. No shits to give for 'racial purity'.

please don't tell varg vikernes this

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

datajugend posted:

Oh yeah thats true, that movie is partially based on an arab man who travelled to scandinavia. A darker skinned man from a world that was ahead in science and technology could be a magic black man.

Ahmad ibn Fadlan, but he never went to Scandinavia. He travelled in Eastern Europe and some of the people he wrote about were (probably) Swedish vikings who'd gone along the rivers there.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Arivia posted:

please don't tell varg vikernes this

He'd probably justify it as them not being true vikings or someshit, lmao

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Russia is called Russia because the Rus (what Finns call Swedes) founded a bunch of settlements like Kænugarður (Kiev) and Hólmgarður (Novgorod).

Rúrik, the leader of the Rus in Hólmgarður then became the founder of the ruling dynasty in all the various principalities of what is now Russia until the 17th century when the Romanovs took over.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Dec 4, 2021

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Groke posted:

Yeah, and there are examples of Norse artifacts with decorations that are okay imitations of Arabic script with Islamic religious phrases. Doesn't mean the dudes who made them were converts to Islam, probably more like someone brought some souvenirs from abroad and thought they looked cool so wanted to make their own.

Oh I did not know that, that's awesome. My pre-conceptions about how isolated people were in Ye Olden Times are now slightly more broken.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh I did not know that, that's awesome. My pre-conceptions about how isolated people were in Ye Olden Times are now slightly more broken.

And from centuries before the viking age, we have gravesites etc. with foreign artifacts and treasures such as Roman coins.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
And I mean, you can see how a Viking might think Arabic calligraphy was cool af and worth trying to imitate.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Guys guys guys, don't we remember how racism was solved in America by the great film https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Man%27s_Burden_(film)?

Along that line, Mr Popo and Jynx from Pokemon. Goddamn.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I have a much uglier word for it

cultural appropriation

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I have a much uglier word for it

cultural appropriation

Those are two words.

More like old countless. (Best I could do on short notice)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I don't think there's anything appropriate about it--more like cultural INappropriation.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Groke posted:

And from centuries before the viking age, we have gravesites etc. with foreign artifacts and treasures such as Roman coins.

And from millenia before the Romans we have raw materials, finished artefacts and techniques being transported all over the place.
eg. Early Bronze Age (2nd millenium BC) finds of faience beads in the Highlands of Scotland that are in the same forms as contemporary examples from Egypt and the Near East (segmented rods, multi-pointed stars, etc.) but are made using local sand. (It's thought that the technique and forms reached Scotland via the rich Wessex culture in southern England and possibly reached there through the tin trade.)
The extensive trade in high status Neolithic polished stone axes throughout Europe (4th millenium BC) includes things like Alpine jade axes turning up in Britain.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yep there wasn’t a group of people that Egypt had a very fraught relationship with who were black

An extremely fraught relationship

That was a pretty one way feud though. The Jews wrote a lot about Egypt but the Egyptians didn't write much about Jews beyond the usual trading-and-occasional-warring with Israel.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Alaois posted:

ra salvatore was getting divorced when he wrote the drizzt books so he made the drow society a man hating matriarchy that worships spiders and does freaky bondage

lmao that explains a lot. Even as a 12-year-old who thought Star Wars novels were the height of literature, I thought there was a weird vibe going on in the Drizzt origin story books.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Crowetron posted:

lmao that explains a lot. Even as a 12-year-old who thought Star Wars novels were the height of literature, I thought there was a weird vibe going on in the Drizzt origin story books.

Salvatore was the one who dropped a moon on Chewbacca too

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Arivia posted:

Salvatore was the one who dropped a moon on Chewbacca too

...cuz of the divorce? That's weird.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Groke posted:

Based on how long tattoos have been around I'm now realizing how ancient the first terrible and possibly wrong foreign language tattoo might have been.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Ror posted:

Based on how long tattoos have been around I'm now realizing how ancient the first terrible and possibly wrong foreign language tattoo might have been.

some ancient ink that says “a half-jar of figs” in cuneiform on somebody’s upper arm

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ror posted:

Imagine when people know how to do tattoos but don't know how to write.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

If anything, shouldn't Drow be white? And I mean white. Printer paper white.
I mean, they live underground. Their only light sources are magic, glowing moss, and a giant rock that the top wizard casts a spell on every day to function as a giant clock.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ror posted:

They thought is said "Strength snd Honor" but it really said "Ea-Nasir has lovely ingots"

Ellie Crabcakes has a new favorite as of 08:59 on Dec 5, 2021

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Ror posted:

Not tattoos, but there's a bunch of old Norse amulets and runestones with inscriptions that are either illegible or just gibberish - theory is that having things with runic inscriptions was a status symbol, but if you were illiterate, it was easy to be scammed by a dodgy rune carver who was themselves illiterate and just vaguely copying runes from other inscriptions.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
As well, don't a lot of medieval swords have just gibberish letters on them cause of a bunch of earlier ones having shorthand/acronymised latin phrases on them?

edit: possibly not gibberish, still kinda silly

quote:

Many European sword blades of the high medieval period have blade inscriptions. Inscribed blades were particularly popular during the 12th century. Many of these inscriptions are garbled strings of letters, often apparently inspired by religious formulae, especially the phrase in nomine domini and the word benedictus or benedicat.

The 12th-century fashion for blade inscriptions is based on the earlier, 9th to 11th century, tradition of the so-called Ulfberht swords. A single stray find from Eastern Germany, dated to the late 11th or possibly early 12th century, combines both an Ulfberht and an in nomine domini (in this case, +IINIOMINEDMN) inscription.[11]

Many blade inscriptions of the later 12th and 13th century are even more garbled, bearing no resemblance to the in nomine domini phrase, sometimes resembling random strings of letters, such as ERTISSDXCNERTISSDX,[12] +NDXOXCHWDRGHDXORVI+,[13]+IHININIhVILPIDHINIhVILPN+ (Pernik sword).[14

Disproportionation has a new favorite as of 10:18 on Dec 5, 2021

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I cannot understand these runes, must be gibberish. A claver historian

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
History is definitely big enough to have both dodgy rune merchants people copying old inscriptions they didn't understand and ones that make perfect sense but we don't have the context for now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the_steve posted:

I mean, they live underground. Their only light sources are magic, glowing moss, and a giant rock that the top wizard casts a spell on every day to function as a giant clock.

ed greenwood has said his original idea for underground elves in the FR was albino underground peoples, but when the FR was made into an official setting the drow came along since they were a player race option for 1e AD&D already

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Those sword inscriptions own.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Kuiperdolin posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

quote:

The Voynich manuscript is an illustrated codex hand-written in an otherwise unknown writing system, referred to as 'Voynichese'.[18] The vellum on which it is written has been carbon-dated to the early 15th century (1404–1438), and stylistic analysis indicates it may have been composed in Italy during the Italian Renaissance.[1][2] The origins, authorship, and purpose of the manuscript are debated. Various hypotheses have been suggested, including that it is an otherwise unrecorded script for a natural language or constructed language; an unread code, cypher, or other form of cryptography; or simply a meaningless hoax.
Checks out.

EDIT: it also has illustrations of unknown animals, plants and constellations. Also this:

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Dec 5, 2021

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Disproportionation posted:

tradition of the so-called Ulfberht swords

My favorite piece of trivia regarding the Ulfberth swords is that there has been found lovely bootleg variants of the sword. Like, imagine if you're viking who believes that you have gotten a really good deal on what you think is the best sword of all time and then it completely shatters when you're on the battlefield.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Angry Salami posted:

Not tattoos, but there's a bunch of old Norse amulets and runestones with inscriptions that are either illegible or just gibberish - theory is that having things with runic inscriptions was a status symbol, but if you were illiterate, it was easy to be scammed by a dodgy rune carver who was themselves illiterate and just vaguely copying runes from other inscriptions.

The British Museum has a bunch of ancient Middle Eastern vases that have gibberish hieroglyphs on them. They were made as copies of Egyptian objects, by people who didn't know how to read/write hieroglyphs properly. Ancient bootleg vases.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Arivia posted:

ed greenwood has said his original idea for underground elves in the FR was albino underground peoples, but when the FR was made into an official setting the drow came along since they were a player race option for 1e AD&D already

Mystara (the Basic/Expert D&D world) actually had albino underground elves though.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kuiperdolin posted:

I'm not doubting these historians, but I do wonder how you conclusively prove that something is nonsense, and not just some incredibly obscure dialect you've never heard of.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

the_steve posted:

Probably the greatest danger to drow is other drow, so you’d want to blend into the surroundings.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Torquemada posted:

Probably the greatest danger to drow is other drow, so you’d want to blend into the surroundings.

Aren't there, like, a bunch of beholders down there too?

My only experience with The Underdark:tm: is neverwinter nights.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm not doubting these historians, but I do wonder how you conclusively prove that something is nonsense, and not just some incredibly obscure dialect you've never heard of.

There would be other evidence that hinted at such a dialect existing and also the writing would have to parse as something that maybe might be construed as words. The examples given above of gibberish definitely do look like gibberish since they’re mostly strings of consonants with the occasional vowel thrown in randomly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kit Walker posted:

The examples given above of gibberish definitely do look like gibberish since they’re mostly strings of consonants with the occasional vowel thrown in randomly

So, Welsh?