Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Rarity posted:

I don't think it's that big a deal cause the side content is by design unessential to the viewing expiernece but hey content creators gotta get them clicks

A ton of questions asked here are answered in the X-Rays and bonus videos, which are show canon not books, so, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Interestingly, Amazon Prime UK just had a post pop up in my YouTube feed that referred to Whitecloaks as "the male balance to the Aes Sedai", and implied they control a large section of the world. Which could just be bad wording in a fairly minor bit of advertising, or could mean the show is doing more with them than the books did.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That would not fit well with what little we've seen. They respond to Lan's "this is NOT your land" challenge with a justification about the Light knowing no borders, not a threat of their own power.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Anyone who’s watching this in 4K on appleTV owes it to themselves to switch the appleTV to 1080p HDR, it’s actually nuts how much better the effects look. I thought tar valon looked crummy on my LG OLED but I just switched the settings and it was like a whole new picture. Amazon definitely hosed up the 4K feed

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

buffalo all day posted:

Anyone who’s watching this in 4K on appleTV owes it to themselves to switch the appleTV to 1080p HDR, it’s actually nuts how much better the effects look. I thought tar valon looked crummy on my LG OLED but I just switched the settings and it was like a whole new picture. Amazon definitely hosed up the 4K feed

Amazon is loving up a lot, but seeing the price of their lord of the rings series ($465 million) it makes sense. :capitalism:

WOT is $10 million an episode, so I've seen

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

tsob posted:

Rafe Judkins also talked in the AMA about how they have combat trainers working on the sword training and sword forms at the moment, and that there'll be some of it in season two.

Watching episode 4... they ought to get somebody to tell them about bows, too.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 5, 2021

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There's a lot of posts so I don't know if it's been said but y'all (especially non-book readers) noticed that Egwene channeled without using her hands right after Valda said that Aes Sedai still use it as a crutch right?

I don't think that counts as a book spoiler anymore but idk what people will and won't count :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Wow, Nynaeve going super saiyan was way more stupid-looking than I expected.

Stilling Logain looked pretty neat though.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

IcePhoenix posted:

There's a lot of posts so I don't know if it's been said but y'all (especially non-book readers) noticed that Egwene channeled without using her hands right after Valda said that Aes Sedai still use it as a crutch right?

I don't think that counts as a book spoiler anymore but idk what people will and won't count :v:

More of a lore tidbit than a genuine spoiler but hey It's more of a product of training. Novices are taught to use their hands to help them focus and develop their abilities and those habits stick. I don't think it's meant to be a "look how special Egwene is" moment.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Wow, Nynaeve going super saiyan was way more stupid-looking than I expected.

Stilling Logain looked pretty neat though.

Technically it's Gentling when they do it to a man! Get those terms straight!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Technically it's Gentling when they do it to a man! Get those terms straight!

The Aes Sedai can pretty it up however they like but it's the same thing they do to men or women... Owyn got done dirty.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Aww, this is adorable:

https://twitter.com/philandchris/status/1467161470685351940

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

They should have used real wolves.
How much would it really cost to have some Czech extras eaten?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Barreft posted:

A ton of questions asked here are answered in the X-Rays and bonus videos, which are show canon not books, so, what?

Yeah it’s ridiculous how much this stuff adds to the show. I would have never thought to look there if not for this thread.

buffalo all day posted:

I’m definitely going to try this because it’s disappointing how poo poo it looks on 4K.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

This is the most wholesome twitter account :3:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I'm really curious about the new guy playing Mat in the next season. The current actor is the best out of the Scooby Gang and it's gonna be sad to see him go (unless he was let go for being a sack of poo poo).

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

anatomi posted:

I'm really curious about the new guy playing Mat in the next season. The current actor is the best out of the Scooby Gang and it's gonna be sad to see him go (unless he was let go for being a sack of poo poo).

The fact that whatever made him leave (and made Amazon let him out of presumably one heck of a contract for a production this big/long term) has been so completely hush hush makes me think it has to be something very personal. If he was tearing around being a sex bad or was a drunk or something I feel like there'd be some whispers about it somewhere. I hope he's not an rear end in a top hat because yeah, dude's killing it. It's been kinda weird appreciating him while knowing he's not gonna stick around

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Barreft posted:

Amazon is loving up a lot, but seeing the price of their lord of the rings series ($465 million) it makes sense. :capitalism:

WOT is $10 million an episode, so I've seen

Some the later episodes were more expensive but a majority did cost 7 to 10 million cost per episode

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I like the guy playing Mat too, but to be fair his character is also the one that has the most to work with in the first book. Perrin and Rand take a little longer to develop.

I have no problem with Loial being shorter since this is a tv budget, but I don't understand that hair and beard, it looks out of place.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I don't know anything about movie make-up and prosthetics, but I imagine that it's difficult to ensure that the mouth looks/moves in a believable way when working with such a heavy layer of rubber/whatever. Maybe the beard is there to hide some particularly conspicuous deficiencies in the getup.

Burns
May 10, 2008

This was an odd episode. It felt like they didnt do enough with the main characters.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I’m watching Lost in Space right now, and I just finished Casa de Papel. It is exhausting to watch a show that relentlessly drives forward from one crisis to the next, never pausing to let its characters breathe. I am glad for the occasional slow episode, particularly when the characters get developed in the down time. Brandon Sanderson has said that next week’s episode is his favorite of the six early releases, so I have to imagine things won’t slow down again before the end of the season.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CainsDescendant posted:

The fact that whatever made him leave (and made Amazon let him out of presumably one heck of a contract for a production this big/long term) has been so completely hush hush makes me think it has to be something very personal. If he was tearing around being a sex bad or was a drunk or something I feel like there'd be some whispers about it somewhere. I hope he's not an rear end in a top hat because yeah, dude's killing it. It's been kinda weird appreciating him while knowing he's not gonna stick around

While I also love current mat, I'm sort of hopeful the new guy has a bit of a different accent because he's the hardest to understand personally and I often have to rewind.

like, I totally missed the "think she'd have a go?" joke with Dana until my 3rd watch.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Oh Christ Loial is bad. How did they find such a bad actor

Also is it just me or is the writing this episode markedly worse than previously

Edit:
The boots on the horse lol. Wtf

Also why are people throwing veg at a wagon with Aes Sedai on it, what if they hit them instead of logain

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 5, 2021

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

El Grillo posted:

Also is it just me or is the writing this episode markedly worse than previously

Edit:

Also why are people throwing veg at a wagon with Aes Sedai on it, what if they hit them instead of logain

I'm unsure what you mean by most of this. The reversed boots on a horse has a long tradition, at least in the U.S.

There's even a fun line about Liandrin getting hit by a radish on accident.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

El Grillo posted:

Edit:

They DID! They hit Liandrin!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Have I missed something, why does Valda know egwene can channel? I think he saw her before with Moiraine but then he let them go?

navyjack posted:

They DID! They hit Liandrin!
Yeah... doesn't seem to make much sense, people in tar valon risking throwing something and hitting Aes Sedai. Probably a question for the book thread though

Fell Fire posted:

The reversed boots on a horse has a long tradition, at least in the U.S.
ah, interesting. Didn't know that

Edit:

vvv Maybe I should have asked, why does he suspect? He picked them out of a gigantic load of people.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 5, 2021

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
He doesn't know, but he suspects and that's as good as proof to a Questioner

When the group has the first encounter with the Whitecloaks, Valda says "I never forget a face" and then a month later he runs into two of the same people but with a different group and in the shadow of the White Tower. To him there are no coincidences, everything that happens does so under the guide of The Light so obviously he was meant to run into them a second time and that's enough for him to put them to the question.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 5, 2021

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008

Fell Fire posted:

I'm unsure what you mean by most of this. The reversed boots on a horse has a long tradition, at least in the U.S.

There's even a fun line about Liandrin getting hit by a radish on accident.

Goons are notoriously terrible at watching tv and movies.

About the episode, it kept my attention despite being slower paced. I am invested in the characters, and I got a little choked up for Lan/Moraine at the funeral. I don't get how people don't understand it wasn't about Stephin (sp?), but the overall relationship between an Aes Sedai and her warder(s). It was world building and character development. What do people really want when they watch a show like this? More pew pew and CGI?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

El Grillo posted:

Have I missed something, why does Valda know egwene can channel? I think he saw her before with Moiraine but then he let them go?
He thought they were an AS and her Warder and the doubt is enough proof.

Also, he was kinda right :v:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the "how is the actor for loial so bad" is the actual worst take so far

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
That shot of Tar Valon at night was cool

Did Rand see Logaine get gentled? He just said 'We saw what they did to the false Dragon'

Dead on Arrival posted:

What do people really want when they watch a show like this? More pew pew and CGI?
Good writing, performances, production design, direction and cinematography

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

they watched him rolled through the streets in a cage while people threw radishes at him

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

He doesn't know, but he suspects and that's as good as proof to a Questioner

When the group has the first encounter with the Whitecloaks, Valda says "I never forget a face" and then a month later he runs into two of the same people but with a different group and in the shadow of the White Tower. To him there are no coincidences, everything that happens does so under the guide of The Light so obviously he was meant to run into them a second time and that's enough for him to put them to the question.

She's also a young woman of an age to be learning to channel who is obviously on her way to Tar Valon, since she started far away from there and ended up just outside the city on a parallel course to him. She then ran when he asked for her, which basically confirms that she's doing something wrong to him. And the only thing a young woman just outside Tar Valon could be doing wrong is channeling related.

As for risking hitting an Aes Sedia? People hate male channelers more than they respect female ones; especially ones who deliberately style themselves as the Dragon, and then start wars in their name. Not hard to read. It's also behavior the Aes Sedai obviously encourage, given that the Reds exist partially to hunt such men, and act like they're vile when they confront them, before wheeling them through the streets in front of people.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

El Grillo posted:

I will never understand how some people are so bad at watching television.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dead on Arrival posted:

I don't get how people don't understand it wasn't about Stephin (sp?), but the overall relationship between an Aes Sedai and her warder(s). It was world building and character development

i also thought that stepin's story about meeting kerene -- her seeing a suicidal guy picking a fight and laughing and buying him a drink and becoming his friend, changing his life as he desperately wanted to be worthy of the dignity and trust she extended to him -- also did a great job at fleshing out what kind of person joins the Greens, beyond just "horny poly Ajah"

eke out fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 5, 2021

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

im going to become the joker

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the joker reborn

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

the joker reborn

I have won again, Arthur Fleck.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

:twisted:some men just want to watch the pattern burn :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

On the budget being big but it looking not “good enough” to some posters in here.

https://twitter.com/AratouialSedai/status/1467386387188137987?s=20