Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

i'll bet he's watching michael mcintyre in that picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

crispix posted:

i'll bet he's watching michael mcintyre in that picture

To the new parents in the tread who live down south:

Peppa pig world is awesome and so is the theme park it is sited in, gently caress this boiled ham.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Popper pig

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Peppa Pig the TV Programme sucks though and has been superseded by Bluey in every respect

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Up to a certain point in his career it seems like as long as he had a co-writer, he was able to keep the shittiness in check. Unfortunately once he got to the point that he was making Graham Linehan's the IT Crowd by Graham Linehan, there was nobody cowriting so all of his shittiest takes come out.

So many creatives go this way when their name recognition gets big enough that they can ignore the editors that were reining in their worst impulses. See jowling kowling rowling.

See also Ricky Gervais, whose awful solo work has demonstrated that Stephen Merchant was clearly the talented one in that partnership.

Every time Gervais throws out the 'the woke brigade would cancel the Office if it was made now' take it gives the impression that he has no idea what made The Office interesting or funny in the first place.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It is well known phenomenon where someone who is really clever and correct on one specific field or one particular issue suddenly takes up another to disasterous results.

Linehan was Lauded by feminists for his work supporting abortion rights in NI. It was an issue that personally afected him, he had the right of it and had to deal with a lot of pushback from idiots.

All it took was for Terfs to leap to his defence about an old bad episode of the IT crowd for him to think he was on the right side of that issue, and the pushback just proved to himself he was right, afterall plenty of people shouted at him for supporting abortion rights.

Now he has nothing left but his GC supporters, brought down pushing a wedge issue for the same american christian right that'll be after the abortion rights he argued for once they're through with the LGBTs.

The most recent example of this kinda thing I can think of is indie game darling Johnathan Blow, to my mind an absolute genius in puzzle design and visual learning who has been tweeting about how he's solved the Covid puzzle and the chinese made it on purpose.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

The most recent example of this kinda thing I can think of is indie game darling Johnathan Blow, to my mind an absolute genius in puzzle design and visual learning who has been tweeting about how he's solved the Covid puzzle and the chinese made it on purpose.

ahahahahaha seriously? loving hell

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Bluey is very good but the only kids show I go out of my way to watch when new episodes are released is Hey Duggee. The episodes have always been superb but their music has also come a long way since the Stick Song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_acKt3yFX5E

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 4, 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Maugrim posted:

Bluey is very good but the only kids show I go out of my way to watch when new episodes are released is Hey Duggee. The episodes have always been superb but their music has also come a long way since the Stick Song.

https://youtu.be/_acKt3yFX5E

Bit partial to the pinkfong murloc song myself.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mr Phillby posted:

Made on purpose, or released on purpose?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Up to a certain point in his career it seems like as long as he had a co-writer, he was able to keep the shittiness in check. Unfortunately once he got to the point that he was making Graham Linehan's the IT Crowd by Graham Linehan, there was nobody cowriting so all of his shittiest takes come out.

So many creatives go this way when their name recognition gets big enough that they can ignore the editors that were reining in their worst impulses. See jowling kowling rowling.

We call this The Gervais Effect.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

WhatEvil posted:

Separating the art from the artist, innit.

Somebody can be a good writer/musician/actor whatever and also a huge piece of poo poo. I think there's a bit of a distinction between like, still enjoying the work of somebody who is sort of a "solo artist" in that they've written a book by themselves or whatever, but with Glinner it's like, yes he wrote those things or some proportion of them, but they're also the work of like a hundred other people, not least the actors.

If it's like, JK Rowling and she's a piece of poo poo and the work is entirely hers, I find that harder to bear. That's just my own perspective though. you are of course free to enjoy or not enjoy works by lovely people.

LOL I listen to black metal & watch wrestling, I practically have a Doctorate in separating art from artist. I still like Cream & John Mayall's Blues Breakers despite Eric Clapton being the drizzling shits.

Still a bummer, coz I'd forgotten he and Matthews were the main writers for Big Train, which is probably the sketch show of my lifetime I enjoy the most. But then I still enjoy Python & it's not like they are all lovely people.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

“I have been to Peppa Pig World, of course I have. It’s dreadful.” Sir Keir Rodney Starmer KCB QC

god i can hear it in his voice :shepicide:

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone else remember the mid-90s film Different for Girls? It was about two childhood friends who reconnect as adults, and one of them is a transwoman. From memory, it was pro-trans (and anti-police), although I imagine there would be all sorts of cringey moments on a rewatch. They had a male actor playing the transgender character for starters.

What I'm trying to say is that there was trans-supporting mainstream media 25 years ago, TERFdom wasn't a universal state of being, and even at the time it was originally broadcast Linehan's transphobic IT Crowd episode was excessive. It feels like we've gone backwards.

Edit: did Starmer go to Peppa Pig World with a child? I feel like that's an important factor as to how much enjoyment one would get from the visit.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Imagine growing up and seeing that your dad hated your family days out and joked about how loving poo poo it was to the press. Your formative memories.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Convex posted:

“I have been to Peppa Pig World, of course I have. It’s dreadful.” Sir Keir Rodney Starmer KCB QC

god i can hear it in his voice :shepicide:

This Tory is a runner up for the Margaret thatcher award. Kenny labours a literally a tory plant. Hopefully the next labour leader ice picks him

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

stev posted:

Imagine growing up and seeing that your dad hated your family days out and joked about how loving poo poo it was to the press. Your formative memories.

I can’t imagine growing up in Keith’s household and having the ability to believe in anything, so perhaps they’ll be inoculated to any (further) consequences

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Apologies for posting my own tweet, easiest way to get the image off my iPad:

https://twitter.com/alexduin/status/1467296174013091848

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Flux Wildly posted:

I can’t imagine growing up in Keith’s household and having the ability to believe in anything, so perhaps they’ll be inoculated to any (further) consequences

I mean there was probably a north Korean style photo of Thatcher and Churchill in every room of the house

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I don't think we're doing these any more but to hell with it this made me laugh.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Apologies for posting my own tweet, easiest way to get the image off my iPad:

https://twitter.com/alexduin/status/1467296174013091848

Why is it LOL? What am I missing?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why is it LOL? What am I missing?

It's been retweeted by Marvel Universe.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jedit posted:

It's been retweeted by Marvel Universe.

So suggesting they just auto-retweeted it because it mentioned Black Panther rather than a thought out retweet?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So suggesting they just auto-retweeted it because it mentioned Black Panther rather than a thought out retweet?

Twitter’s algorithm automatically recommends tweets to you based on what it thinks they’re about. In this case, it thought a tweet about Fred Hampton was about Marvel, presumably because it mentions the Black Panthers.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

Twitter’s algorithm automatically recommends tweets to you based on what it thinks they’re about. In this case, it thought a tweet about Fred Hampton was about Marvel, presumably because it mentions the Black Panthers.

Aha.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Lady Demelza posted:

Does anyone else remember the mid-90s film Different for Girls? It was about two childhood friends who reconnect as adults, and one of them is a transwoman. From memory, it was pro-trans (and anti-police), although I imagine there would be all sorts of cringey moments on a rewatch. They had a male actor playing the transgender character for starters.

What I'm trying to say is that there was trans-supporting mainstream media 25 years ago, TERFdom wasn't a universal state of being, and even at the time it was originally broadcast Linehan's transphobic IT Crowd episode was excessive. It feels like we've gone backwards.

Edit: did Starmer go to Peppa Pig World with a child? I feel like that's an important factor as to how much enjoyment one would get from the visit.

Hayley off of Corrie as well, who was far more than just a token minority and was treated well by everyone, and the bigots were shown as foolish (I am aware that Corrie is not real life).

I haven't watched Corrie in over ten years, probably, since it started going ludicrous with explosions and mad shagging everywhere.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lady Demelza posted:

In the mid nineties I was doing an A-level in psychology which had a whole module on sex & gender and how they are two different things. The textbook (Gross 3rd edition) cited cases from 1979 matter-of-factly talking about intersex, transgender and transsex cases, some of them going back as far as the early 1900s.

None of this is new, the GC dickheads have just managed to pretend that it is.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 5, 2021

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/peterjukes/status/1466679566072750086?s=20

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Barry Foster posted:

Peppa Pig the TV Programme sucks though and has been superseded by Bluey in every respect

Aye, the niblings (5 and 3) will watch Peppa Pig if it's on but are fanatics in the best traditions of small children about Bluey

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/migrants_rights/status/1467435088237498372

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

In the mid nineties I was doing an A-level in psychology which had a whole module on sex & gender and how they are two different things. The textbook (Gross 3rd edition) cited cases from 1979 matter-of-factly talking about intersex, transgender and transsex cases, some of them going back as far as the early 1900s.

None of this is new, the GC dickheads have just managed to pretend that it is.

When Angela Morley (a composer, conductor and arranger who worked on everything from Hancock's Half Hour to Schindler's List) transitioned in the 70s it seems like everyone shrugged and said "Oh you're called Angela now? Okay, can you do the music for this please?". There were a few prurient tabloid stories about her actual surgery (done in Casablanca because at the time no actual qualified doctor in Europe or America would do it) but everyone from John Williams to her wife and kids seem to have been 100% supportive of her.

In fact really vicious transphobia definitely seems to be more of a Generation X thing than a boomer thing - not that boomers and older were perfect, but their opinion seems to have mostly been almost gossipy, and I'm sure that sort of behind-the-back whispering gets old really loving quick, but the people volunteering to sign up for the 1st Volunteer Genital Inspectors to guard the toilets and changing rooms of the nation are almost exclusively born in the 60s and 70s.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

So long as they start with removing the passports of all the tory ministers and MPs who take drugs first.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So long as they start with removing the passports of all the tory ministers and MPs who take drugs first.

They'll just pass a law retroactively making it legal to take cocaine if you're a MP.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So long as they start with removing the passports of all the tory ministers and MPs who ever took drugs first.

corrected this but agree

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

I suppose that's one way to stop the oval office taking a holiday every two weeks.

https://twitter.com/Nick_Pettigrew/status/1467156159568261125?s=19

The MET is doing a different kind of Minority Report than usual.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

Aye, the niblings (5 and 3) will watch Peppa Pig if it's on but are fanatics in the best traditions of small children about Bluey

You have to watch the episodes too, since they teach the kids games to play with their parents. I have to freeze from a magic xylophones and chase magic statues for hours every day.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

You have to watch the episodes too, since they teach the kids games to play with their parents. I have to freeze from a magic xylophones and chase magic statues for hours every day.

:unsmith:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I hope people realise that by taking away the passports and driving licenses, they are effectively also removing their right to vote.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Meanwhile, drug misuse poisoning deaths are at a record high, having increased by nearly 80% since 2012.
But we cracked down on all the drugs with decades of medical study around them and allowed a completely unregulated market in poo poo that's never been thought of outside a paper from the 90s speculating that it probably binds to the opioid receptors of mice to take its place, while doing nothing to address the root causes. Who could have possibly predicted this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’m rapidly oscillating between wanting to get rid of my US citizenship so I can open a savings account and wanting to renew my US passport so I can escape Hell Island