Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Crows Turn Off posted:

I hate how I'm seeing lots of articles and posts now about how women are on the verge of losing abortion rights.

Why weren't people making this big of a deal before Trump was elected, when it actually mattered?

There were many many people who were like "I loving hate Hillary but the SCOTUS seats/Roe mean I'm voting for her"

It was an incredibly common thing and it's frustrating that you've seem to have memory-holed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

There were many many people who were like "I loving hate Hillary but the SCOTUS seats/Roe mean I'm voting for her"

It was an incredibly common thing and it's frustrating that you've seem to have memory-holed that.

It was also common the other way around, there were plenty of "moderate" Republicans who claimed the exact same thing for Trump: "I don't like that he says the quiet parts out loud, but there's an open SCOTUS seat so how can I not vote for him". If it helps mobilize one side, it can also help mobilize the other.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

I hate how I'm seeing lots of articles and posts now about how women are on the verge of losing abortion rights.

Why weren't people making this big of a deal before Trump was elected, when it actually mattered?

I remember posting in 2012 that all Obama & Dems needed to do for the general election was hold up an enlarged pic of RBG at that time because of the threat to abortion rights post-Bush.

But the effect of the Casey ruling three decades ago had already eroded abortion rights to such a strong degree that it was virtually impossible to get an abortion in many states. (Mississippi only has one abortion provider, e.g.)

I don't recall any Congressional efforts to codify Roe after Casey but with the number of anti-choice Dems in the party it'd have been a futile effort anyway.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

vyelkin posted:

It was also common the other way around, there were plenty of "moderate" Republicans who claimed the exact same thing for Trump: "I don't like that he says the quiet parts out loud, but there's an open SCOTUS seat so how can I not vote for him". If it helps mobilize one side, it can also help mobilize the other.

Jaxyon posted:

Makes me wonder if some group could win electoral power by promising to remove judicial review and returning the Federal Courts to only getting their constitutionally required jurisdictions, or if its just another example of everyone wanting an unaccountable super-legislative branch as long as its on their side.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Maybe you're right. I remember personally making a big deal out of the SCOTUS picks.

But I don't recall news reports pushing the topic much, and most people thinking that SCOTUS would be "objective" and follow "precedent" and stuff, despite how obviously Roe was a priority target.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Over the last decade or so Democrats have just been really into testing out the accelerationism theory.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Crows Turn Off posted:

Maybe you're right. I remember personally making a big deal out of the SCOTUS picks.

But I don't recall news reports pushing the topic much, and most people thinking that SCOTUS would be "objective" and follow "precedent" and stuff, despite how obviously Roe was a priority target.

I would suggest you stop consuming the capitalist propaganda we call news.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

By her actions, namely naming an antichoice VP candidate, Clinton didn't make it a big deal and Biden was explicitly in favor of anti choice policies until 2019. The democrats as an entirety haven't had that much energy behind defending abortion for decades.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Crows Turn Off posted:

This is a day after the election: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...62d1_story.html

This is a month before:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/5/13170746/trump-pence-abortion-vp-debate-punish-women

Here's an even more explicit one:
https://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/19/trump-ill-appoint-supreme-court-justices-to-overturn-roe-v-wade-abortion-case.html

People were making a pretty big deal about it, especially since the open seat at the time made it a salient, rather than theoretical, issue. That said, the reason it wasn't pressed much at the time can be summed up here:
https://www.wired.com/2016/10/presidential-election-will-actually-affect-supreme-court/

quote:

And even if there was one additional Trump appointee, you would still probably have a 5-4 court.”
But that doesn’t mean the precedent is bulletproof. “If there were two or three liberal retirements during a Trump presidency, then I think that the constitutional right to abortion would be in real question,” Shaw says.

It wasn't a belief that the court would be "objective" or that Trump wouldn't appoint bad judges. It was that a) him winning wasn't seen as a particularly likely event, so why fan the flames, and b) even if he did win they didn't think he'd appoint a third of the court.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

By her actions, namely naming an antichoice VP candidate, Clinton didn't make it a big deal and Biden was explicitly in favor of anti choice policies until 2019. The democrats as an entirety haven't had that much energy behind defending abortion for decades.
Also openly backing anti-choice legislators like Manchin, Lipinski, etc

poo poo like this
https://mobile.twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/859550404237037571
https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1227370760408313856

So on the one hand they say oh the right to choose is so fragile, Republicans are trying to take it, vote for us.
But on the other hand they're saying it's a solid constitutional right, it's never going away, so it's OK for us to have Democrats who want to take it from you too.
Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, do we need to elect Democrats to protect it or not.

And now of course when they might need to pass legislation to protect women's rights instead of just letting the court take it out of their hands while they pander to voters from both sides well oops they can't, too many antichoice Democrats. Sorry!

E:
Oh right don't forget about this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial-Birth_Abortion_Ban_Act#Legislative_and_judicial_history

quote:

In the House, the final legislation was supported in 2003 by 218 Republicans and 63 Democrats. It was opposed by 4 Republicans, 137 Democrats, and 1 independent. Twelve members were absent, 7 Republicans and 5 Democrats.[15] In the Senate the bill was supported by 47 Republicans and 17 Democrats. It was opposed by 3 Republicans, 30 Democrats, and 1 independent.[16] Two Senators were absent, Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), a supporter of the bill, and John Edwards (D-NC), an opponent of the bill.

The only substantive difference between the House and Senate versions was the Harkin Amendment expressing support for Roe v. Wade.[17] A House–Senate conference committee deleted the Harkin Amendment, which therefore is absent from the final legislation.[1] On November 5, 2003, after being passed by both the House and the Senate, the bill was signed by President George W. Bush to become law.

The constitutionality of the law was challenged immediately after the signing. Three different U.S. district courts declared the law unconstitutional.[18][19][20] All three cited the law's omission of an exception for the health of the woman (as opposed to the life of the woman), and all three decisions cited precedent set by Roe v. Wade (1973) and Stenberg v. Carhart (2000). The federal government appealed the district court rulings, which were then affirmed by three courts of appeals.[21][22][23] The Supreme Court agreed to hear the Carhart case on February 21, 2006,[24] and agreed to hear the companion Planned Parenthood case on June 19, 2006.[25]

On April 18, 2007, the Supreme Court in a 5–4 decision, Gonzales v. Carhart, held that the statute does not violate the Constitution.
Here you had Senate Democrats supplying the votes for a filibuster-proof supermajority passage of a bill to chip chip chip away at abortion rights and Roe v Wade. So does voting for Democrats even protect abortion rights? Apparently not.

poo poo, only 47 Senate Republicans voted for the bill! They didn't even have a majority, Democrats got it through! How exactly are Democrats the protectors of abortion rights again?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 4, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
For comparison's sake, even the lovely Democrat-lite politicians we have north of the border in Canada have made support for abortion a necessary condition for being an MP. Justin Trudeau pretty much said anyone who's anti-choice would be kicked out of the party unless they swallowed their personal beliefs and voted in favour of abortion if it comes up in the House, and when pushed on it by conservative members of his party he told them to shut the gently caress up and they did. Now to be fair Canada has much stricter party whipping, since the party controls your nomination instead of you being picked in a primary election, so if you violate the whip and get kicked out of the party as a result you're almost certain to lose your job, but it's still very telling just how stark the difference is in messaging coming from the top.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cool cool the supreme court is going to bring back Jim crow next and demolish unions.

I fully expect with a 7-2 the GOP increase supreme court justices to like 40 and turns the country into a Christian theocracy.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Cool cool the supreme court is going to bring back Jim crow next and demolish unions.

I fully expect with a 7-2 the GOP increase supreme court justices to like 40 and turns the country into a Christian theocracy.

Strategically, if you know you have lovely, unpopular views, it is smarter to keep the size of the court small, so that you may by luck asymmetrically have a larger influence on the court than prior election results would have indicated. If we have 40 justices, we'd have openings all the time, and things would be forced to an average of the last 6 or 7 presidential elections.

As it is, the GOP can luck out with Trump, lock in young justices, and laugh as they sit there with no openings for Biden to fill.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah, why would they increase the count once another old idiot liberal judge dies and they just don’t allow the seat to be filled under a non-Republican President. 6-2 is just as good as 7-2.

Republicans have shown they will not have any sort of decorum with timelines of Garland vs AC[A]B noms. Nothing matters anymore now that they don’t play fair and having Justices to enforce their minority rule.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
There certainly was no luck involved in how the court was packed with Republicans. It was very much an intentional work by the people involved.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Kaal posted:

There certainly was no luck involved in how the court was packed with Republicans. It was very much an intentional work by the people involved.

They've lucked out with RBG and Breyer having huge egos and not willing to step down.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Thom12255 posted:

They've lucked out with RBG and Breyer having huge egos and not willing to step down.

The Republicans also spent 30 years convincing them to do exactly that. Scalia in particular did everything he could to ensure Ginsburg maintained distance from the Democratic Party and spurned any "judicial activism" such as timing the political ramifications of her retirement.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Democrats and the mainstream media have never treated or talked about the Court as it actually is so I'm not sure why anyone expects their voters to act like it's do or die. In the past two decades the Court has made a whole bunch of totally insane decisions including installing a president who lost but you'd never know that unless you followed the Court closely which most people don't.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Democrats and the mainstream media have never treated or talked about the Court as it actually is so I'm not sure why anyone expects their voters to act like it's do or die. In the past two decades the Court has made a whole bunch of totally insane decisions including installing a president who lost but you'd never know that unless you followed the Court closely which most people don't.

There was plenty of media coverage given to people spouting that Bush won FL anyways and this is clearly sour grapes from the Democrats and nothing more.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Evil Fluffy posted:

There was plenty of media coverage given to people spouting that Bush won FL anyways and this is clearly sour grapes from the Democrats and nothing more.
It's been posted about in this thread several times that bush did win Florida and the only thing the court did was confirm it.

But the party wide sour grapes over that really reminds me of another more recent politician.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ilkhan posted:

It's been posted about in this thread several times that bush did win Florida and the only thing the court did was confirm it.

But the party wide sour grapes over that really reminds me of another more recent politician.

Wasn’t the problem with Florida that Gore didn’t ask for a recount of the entire state, and Bush won whatever selection of counties made up the actual recount by like 500 votes? I don’t know if it’s ever been established what a state-wide recount would have discovered. Bush became president because Gore conceded by not pressing the question, right?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

ilkhan posted:

As I'm sure you're quite aware, Bush v. Gore definitively did not confirm whether Bush or Gore won Florida in 2000. The entire argument was founded on the idea that individual counties shouldn't be allowed to recount according to independent standards, and that a statewide recount according to a single standard was infeasible. There was no real justification made for any of this, and the party line vote fundamentally delegitimized both the election and the court. Later research indicated that if the court-ordered statewide recount had not been halted, Gore would have been declared the victor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_v._Gore

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 5, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm sure the 5-4 "our guy is ahead so he wins, please stop counting votes to find out who really got more votes, btdubs this decision is so bad we don't want it used as precedent ever, goodbye" ruling was made with the highest respect for legal and democratic institutions

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Some of you have this funny idea that the court's liberal members consider themselves the sworn enemies of the conservatives in the same way we do.

In practice what you have is the closest thing our democracy has to self-supposed philosopher kings who often unite simply to protect the power of their position, and outside of Clarence Thomas' forays into absurdism tend to all agree broadly about most issues and disagree with leftists. They don't see a looming crisis in Republican capture of the judiciary, or if they do would not threaten the status quo of their positions to speak out or do anything against it.

Ginsburg and Scalia were close friends.

This is half correct. The liberal members of the court do indeed consider themselves part of a club of wise philosopher-kings who must rule over the hoi polloi by decree as democracy cannot be trusted, and therefore they do not want something as gauche as an election deciding the makeup of the court. Or rather, they do not want to admit that the court is even partisan and that elections determine who is making the rulings and what decision wins, or encourage anyone to think of the court as being decided by elections.

However the conservatives do consider themselves the sworn enemies of liberals and the Democratic party, which is why for example Kennedy retired right before the 2018 midterms to ensure their majority was not left to chance, why O'Connor selected Bush to win the 2000 election in case she needed to retire for her husband's health, why a Republican senate didn't confirm Garland while a Democratic senate confirmed Thomas, O'Connor, and Kennedy etc.

And we're living in the consequences of that now, turns out the side that plays to win wins, and the side that won't even admit there's a contest loses.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 5, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

Two parts luck, 50 parts planning and 50 parts willingness to ditch any and all pretense of norms or fundamental guiding principles.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kaal posted:

As I'm sure you're quite aware, Bush v. Gore definitively did not confirm whether Bush or Gore won Florida in 2000. The entire argument was founded on the idea that individual counties shouldn't be allowed to recount according to independent standards, and that a statewide recount according to a single standard was infeasible. There was no real justification made for any of this, and the party line vote fundamentally delegitimized both the election and the court. Later research indicated that if the court-ordered statewide recount had not been halted, Gore would have been declared the victor.

Ilkhan can't post in good faith because doing so risks them finding a conscience.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I forgot about this dumb case. So a lower court ruled that because a defendant’s trial lawyer hosed up, a habeas petition was granted. The State of Arizona appealed to SCOTUS saying that even though this is the case, the defendant should still be executed and SCOTUS agreed to take the case which is not a good sign.

https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/1467854522445877251?s=21

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Look, the tree of justice must from time to time be watered with the blood of innocents

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

VitalSigns posted:

Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence Improperly reached

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I forgot about this dumb case. So a lower court ruled that because a defendant’s trial lawyer hosed up, a habeas petition was granted. The State of Arizona appealed to SCOTUS saying that even though this is the case, the defendant should still be executed and SCOTUS agreed to take the case which is not a good sign.

https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/1467854522445877251?s=21

Please God just wipe out the human race already.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I'm no lawyer, but according to this cert petition, the "we can kill this guy even if he's innocent" language is actually explicitly established in the law they're citing?

quote:

And even if some meritorious claims “might escape federal habeas review, that feature is inherent in the restrictions that AEDPA imposes on the grant of federal habeas relief.” App. 208 (Collins, J., dissenting [from the denial of en banc rehearing]) Upon a failure of diligence and the absence of statutory exceptions, § 2254(e)(2) mandates new evidence’s exclusion even if that evidence is highly probative—or even dispositive—of a claim.
That reads to me like "this thing we want to do is stupid and unjust but the law says we can so you have to let us." If they're correct about the law, what's the "right" solution here? Junking that portion of the law on constitutional grounds? (Obviously that won't happen, of course.)

edit: I also love this:

quote:

(“The role of a federal habeas court is to guard against extreme malfunctions in the state criminal justice systems, not to apply de novo review of factual findings and to substitute its own opinions for the determination made on the scene by the trial judge.”)
"Extreme malfunctions in the state criminal justice systems" apparently do not include executing innocent people.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Curious, from someone who's not a SCOTUS watcher, why is it a bad sign that they agreed to take such a case?

Is there a possibility this is one of those strategic easy wins for Roberts to throw off critics and make the court look more legit? I remember when everyone was pleasantly surprised Gorsuch turned out to have some weird libertarian streak that worked in our favor in one big case.

My perception as a non-court watcher is that the times where the Conservatives on the bench surprise everyone by not being absolute monsters acts like a bit of a pressure release valve on the criticisms that assert they're conservatively biased, and that in turn scores them enough points in the public eye to continue being absolute monsters on other cases (cases which are perhaps, more important to capital?)

Not a regular court follower though so interested in everyone else's thoughts?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 6, 2021

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

raminasi posted:

I'm no lawyer, but according to this cert petition, the "we can kill this guy even if he's innocent" language is actually explicitly established in the law they're citing?

That reads to me like "this thing we want to do is stupid and unjust but the law says we can so you have to let us." If they're correct about the law, what's the "right" solution here? Junking that portion of the law on constitutional grounds? (Obviously that won't happen, of course.)

Way back in 1993, the Court decided 6-3 that it's not unconstitutional to ignore evidence of innocence and execute people anyway, as long as some other constitutional violation wasn't involved in the case. In other words, the actual act of executing innocent people is not unconstitutional, your only defence as an innocent person sentenced to death is to hope that there was some unrelated unconstitutional thing in your case.

Relevant quotes:

quote:

In a 6-3 opinion written by Chief Justice William Rehnquist, the Court held that the rejection of Herrera’s petition did not constitute cruel and unusual punishment under the Eighth Amendment. Chief Justice Rehnquist concluded that evidence of Herrera’s actual innocence was not relevant to his petition for a writ of habeas corpus absent some constitutional violation by the state of Texas. This rule was grounded in the principle that federal habeas courts existed to ensure that individuals were not unconstitutionally imprisoned, not to correct errors of fact. Chief Justice Rehnquist acknowledged that the Court sometimes examined the sufficiency of evidence in death penalty cases, but only to determine whether there was an independent constitutional violation.

Chief Justice Rehnquist also rejected Herrera’s argument that the federal courts’ failure to accept Herrera’s petition violated his right to due process under the Fourteenth Amendment. Chief Justice Rehnquist outlined the history of American principles of justice in criminal trials, determining that Texas’ refusal to entertain Herrera’s newly discovered evidence did not violate traditional notions of fundamental fairness. Moreover, Herrera could still avail himself of Texas’ procedures for requesting clemency. Chief Justice Rehnquist also questioned the evidentiary value of Herrera’s affidavits.

It's also clear that the question of whether or not it's unconstitutional to execute an innocent person was at stake in this particular case:

quote:

Justice Harry Blackmun dissented, joined by Justices John Paul Stevens and David Souter. He wrote that executing an innocent person was contrary to contemporary standards of decency. Justice Blackmun argued that Herrera should have been granted relief if he showed both a reasonable doubt about his guilt and that he was actually innocent. He also expressed doubts about the constitutionality of the death penalty.

The dissent says "you know, executing an innocent person because we refused to allow evidence of his innocence to be entered into the record is pretty hosed up and should be unconstitutional" and the majority opinion responds "shut the gently caress up, it's not cruel and unusual punishment to execute an innocent person as long as they were constitutionally convicted and sentenced to death."

My extremely cynical guess is that the Court will respond "oh woe is us, we cannot overturn this established precedent from 1993, put the innocent man to death" and then the next day release an opinion saying "precedent is for losers, we're overturning Casey and Roe."

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 6, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

-Blackadder- posted:

Curious, from someone who's not a SCOTUS watcher, why is it a bad sign that they agreed to take such a case?

Is there a possibility this is one of those strategic easy wins for Roberts to throw off critics and make the court look more legit? I remember when everyone was pleasantly surprised Gorsuch turned out to have some weird libertarian streak that worked in our favor in one big case.

My perception as a non-court watcher is that the times where the Conservatives on the bench surprise everyone by not being absolute monsters acts like a bit of a pressure release valve on their critics who assert they're conservatively biased, and that scores them enough points in the public eye to continue being absolute monsters on other cases.

Not a regular court follower though so interested in everyone else's thoughts?

Because if they didn't take the case the habeas petition would've gone through. It is possible that they want to clarify things and will uphold the lower court's decision but usually the supreme court only does stuff like that to resolve a circuit split.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

raminasi posted:

Yes?

Is a law that says we can kill you even if you didn't do anything really due process

If the government can just grab you off the street and say they're killing you for I don't know, Nicole Simpson's murder or something, do you even live in a free country.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

If there is genuine evidence of innocence that needs to be considered by whatever process is there.

Kaal posted:

They shouldn't be counting by whatever standards they feel like. The methodologies should be standardized, and shouldn't end in different results (so that different groups counting should still end up with the same results). But I'll concede that 2000 was not as black and white as I thought.

But it does still sound like a good reason we should push for mandatory audits of every election, every time. Every legit vote should be counted. And people should know that their vote was meant something.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Idk we should probably take a hard look at processes that say we won't look at evidence you were innocent before executing you.

If you were wrongfully accused I doubt you would be so blasé about a process that says you aren't allowed to prove it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm guessing the original intent judges would say that a governor's/president's pardon power is the check on new evidence not considered by the trial court? Those powers are not usually used with that thinking however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Idk we should probably take a hard look at processes that say we won't look at evidence you were innocent before executing you.

If you were wrongfully accused I doubt you would be so blasé about a process that says you aren't allowed to prove it
Im not being blasé, I'm agreeing with you.