Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Pierre has an expression on his face that says "Oh no not that dipshit again, please don't do this Mary, I thought I was free of him."

Meanwhile Libby is going "Yessss I can't wait to pee on his seat again."

The MAGA movement isn't exactly the Klan but it's close enough that I'm going to call this cartoon accidentally prophetic.

Can't Cooper just get beyond Thunderdome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (May 23, 1948)

I love Roary Dhu, he's so quintessentially Irish. Just ridiculous jokes all the way.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Calaveron posted:

Or you know not follow the obviously embarrassed nude woman to her room bringing along a slack jawed pervert
Everyone knows that The Kids These Days don't talk a lot about boundaries or consent, right? They just act like the characters in an 80s college comedy movie.

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Calaveron posted:

Or you know not follow the obviously embarrassed nude woman to her room bringing along a slack jawed pervert

Nah, it's just what the whore deserves for checks notes accidentally being caught nude in a place where she should be able to expect some privacy and consideration. No decent man will ever want her now!

Scary Gary

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Ugh. Does she still have the shovel?

Mary Worth

I sure hope not.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You're loving up Mary Worth writer. You're loving up deep. You've proven too well Wilbur is an unlovable loser. The only way you can salvage this is if you make it text that Estelle is also a deeply moronic person who also makes the stupidest decisions ever by getting together again with this oaf.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao Estelle about to get a fish tank

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The behaviors and emotional maturity in Mary Worth are super unhealthy.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Again, this is riffing on popular children's anime Anpanman, with its iconic "kindly old man who creates sapient food people" Uncle Jam and his assistant Butter Girl.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "420 -Jucika Takes Her Husband Home"

"421 - Jucika And The Unwise Jealousy"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Catching up with the core payload again...

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (March 27-28, 1934)

Peanuts (December 5-7, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean invites you to take your mind off of the 9CL outrage with the more familiar outrage of writing about modern comics without knowing a drat thing about the current market.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (July 4-6, 1938)

Out Our Way (November 1-3, 1937)

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (November 1-3, 1937)

This appears to be an ice cream maker attached to the washing machine?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Ardeem posted:

Looks like another gimmick to get out of hand cranking it. :)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ardeem posted:

Yeah. Presumably the kids discovered they could adapt the washing machine motor to turn the crank on the ice cream freezer, and then wandered off, leaving Mom with a nonfunctional washing machine.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
There was another comic about hand cranking ice cream. By the same strip or that Now Wow one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvFQ7n2ks6w

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

My Lovely Horse posted:

An interesting point about the newspaper comics landscape; personally I'd rather that no medium be inherently seen as unfit for attempting to create something of artistic/literary/social value. It may not be the best place, but if it's the one place where someone has a voice, there should ne no formal reason it can't be a place. I feel like we've been there a lot in the past (comic books, video games, internet as a whole) and I think the idea that some formats are "high art" and some can only ever be "low art" and everyone needs to stay in their lane and never push boundaries hurts everyone in the long run. Despite the newspaper comics that exist doing everything in their power to prove the point.

I mean, I don't either, personally I think the distinction of high art and low art is dumb and limiting, since frankly the "low art" has just as much, if not more, impact on culture (I mean, look at the poo poo I read, watch, and talk about!), and that's why I was very specific about the modern newspaper comics landscape (I was more general in an earlier version of the post, but then I was like, 'well, I don't want to have to carve out exceptions for Little Lefty and various others' and reworded things). It's no longer a vibrant and healthy industry, frankly. It only totters forwards on creaking legs now and then, when it absolutely must, and for all the great stuff that does get put out today, it's still held back by not just a dying medium, but an aging readership that seems absurdly resistant to the idea of change (just look at Mark Trail running under Jams for so long, even after an article about the loving cave arc, or Funky Winkerbean getting poo poo for suggesting that sex might be going on). It's not that you can't do something within the newspaper comic industry, it's that it's not in a position to encourage or nurture it.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Anyways, Axa, and uh, Abel being a creep

I can just see Romero, sitting at his desk, "have I put Axa in leather yet? Aw, what the Hell."

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Libby eat the fish

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
It's amazing how much sense of character Jucika's strip has been able to build in silent jokes, and how entertaining it is to see her personality interact with the husband/boyfriend's.

Docks

Retail

Popcom

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

catlord posted:

I mean, I don't either, personally I think the distinction of high art and low art is dumb and limiting, since frankly the "low art" has just as much, if not more, impact on culture (I mean, look at the poo poo I read, watch, and talk about!), and that's why I was very specific about the modern newspaper comics landscape (I was more general in an earlier version of the post, but then I was like, 'well, I don't want to have to carve out exceptions for Little Lefty and various others' and reworded things).

I take the view that one of the most inherently human things is the deep instinct to tell and listen to stories. So much of our art is storytelling. We crave it. Originally it was all oral storytelling, but we've created novels, and theatre, and movies, and television, and video games, and yeah, comics. Sometimes they're serious, sometimes they're humorous, there are as many reasons to tell stories as there are types of stories, but we just seem to crave stories, as a species.

There's no reason you can't tell a good story in the medium of a daily comic strip. There's a few strips in this thread that do a good job of it, I think. That is such a rare thing, though. It's easier, I guess, for the thousandth strip of Garfield hating Mondays or Dagwood making a big sandwich. It's shallow and meaningless, but it brings in money.

All that wasted potential. I think it's kind of sad.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

We really haven't seen children in Axa up until this storyline and it's kind of weird and disturbing that she's parading around in this kind of outfit around kids.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU STILL WORKING FOR THIS WOMAN?

On the Fastrack is quickly climbing the ranks of my least favorite comics.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Twelve by Pies posted:

We really haven't seen children in Axa up until this storyline and it's kind of weird and disturbing that she's parading around in this kind of outfit around kids.

Romero has done much, much worse with kids.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Twelve by Pies posted:

WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU STILL WORKING FOR THIS WOMAN?

On the Fastrack is quickly climbing the ranks of my least favorite comics.

Absolutely agreed. What the gently caress, Dethany? Just loving quit!

Classic Kevin & Kell in: making plans for college (November 1-7, 2004)

Reminder that Fenton is a high school drop-out. (Not willingly, he was literally kidnapped by birds and held hostage and forced to work on solving the Y2K problem.)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

How DARE you pervert Ghostbusters like this, Holbrook, you insipid hack.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Whoops, I'm kind of behind here.

Bad Machinery

John Allison posted:

NO DRYBRUSHIN' AT ALL! I think Shauna is really growing in this story. I guess you don't find out who you are until you're tested. It's good to see Corky back (it is good? I'm not sure if it's good at all). And now he has friends! Part two of The Case Of The Lonely One is taking shape before your eyes.

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

What is Peter the basement man’s deal? Does he ever leave his troglodytic hole? Is he a Morlock to Shelley’s ginger Eloi? Are those sweats vintage? &c.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Kammat posted:

Romero has done much, much worse with kids.

This is something that I both am curious about in what way and at the same time, I really, really, really don't want to know.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

How DARE you pervert Ghostbusters like this, Holbrook, you insipid hack.

Ghostbusters perverted itself anyway

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Calaveron posted:

Ghostbusters perverted itself anyway

this is a very weird post

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

A good Foob!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: making plans for college (November 1-7, 2004)

"Beige University" is a joke on Auburn University, which is Holbrook's (and, for that matter, Jimmy Johnson's) alma mater.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/4/01

Brenda Starr 9/22-24/47

Smokey Stover 11/12/44 (can't find one for 11/5)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Selachian posted:

"Beige University" is a joke on Auburn University, which is Holbrook's (and, for that matter, Jimmy Johnson's) alma mater.

Oh! I thought he was drawing Tech Tower, and that Fenton ate the Yellow Jacket swooping around the football stadium. Auburn makes a lot more sense though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I thought it was a joke on Brown.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

FoxTrot