Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

HolHorsejob posted:

There's protection from infection and protection from serious disease. Until there's evidence to the contrary, it's likely the vaccines still offer the later, even if the former is compromised.

I feel like the thread title should encapsulate "still too early to draw definitive conclusions about omicron"

Would it really only take three months for them to develop a Moderna or Pfizer booster for Omicron?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Isentropy posted:

I have a degree and a diploma and the Professional Certificate from a "serious profession" and they're somewhere in my mom's house.

the iron ring is something I actually give a poo poo about though

Iron, or just stainless?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Sorry, thought the graph was after Omicron arrived in Norway. I'm just been extremely depressed about Omicron, and feel like everything in the past year's been made possibly null if the cases are still severe.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 5, 2021

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
don't worry, a furry told us it's mild

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Horizon Burning posted:

You're not funny

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Willo567 posted:

You're not funny

then i fit in with this thread lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Willo567 posted:

Sorry, thought the graph was after Omicron arrived in Norway. I'm just been extremely depressed about Omicron, and feel like everything in the past year's been made possibly null if the cases are still severe.

willo, this thread adds nothing to "further your information about covid"; any actual real no poo poo news will be in better sources of news.

this is a great place for "this new variant is twice as contagious as the measles and is airborne cancerdiabetaids, here's a tweet about a pre-print of a scientific paper about it" and "are you really a doctor; i've seen many photoshops in my time and the pixels on this one look suspect", which, considering i've seen you around here for a long time and know your posting well, is the LAST thing you need, i say in all politeness

Craig K fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 5, 2021

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Willo567 posted:

if you've been extremely depressed, this thread or any other COVID-related thread is not a place you should spend much time imo

to be blunt, I'm familiar with your posting personality and this is not a healthy place to be. please seek professional help since you admit to extreme depression

even if Omicron turns out to be worst-case, the dozens or even hundreds of posts every day in this or other SA COVID threads are only going to fuel anxiety and depression.

Get vaccinated and boosted, wear appropriate masks, avoid indoor close-contacts. And seek mental health support <3

edit: and I guess feel free to PM me if that's any help, I'm happy to chat. I'm just a dumbass horse though and not a mental health professional.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 5, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

What is the allowed number of posts for a person?

What is the rational for a limit?

Uh yeah, was thinking this yesterday when you latched onto the p681r thing, I think you've fully :crackping: -ed, I was crack ping pretty hard myself, but it's time to go outside and log out for like, two days. I mean this in a nice way

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Willo, literally this:

Get vaccinated and boosted, wear appropriate masks, and avoid close contact indoors. But also if you're dealing with extreme depression, please seek professional help.

The only thing these forums are gonna do are amp up any depression or anxiety you're dealing with.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Not in all specific points, but where are you going with this?

Delta was and is bad and anyone who took it seriously was right to do so.

I am going in the direction that Delta was more infectious but not more dangerous/deadlier/more likely to cause severe illness, so if you're vaccinated you don't need to be particularly worried, unless you live in an American CHUD state that might soon overload its hospitals and so you'll have to exercise increased caution at traffic lights, standing on a stepladder to change light bulbs, and so forth

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Delta is deadlier.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Horizon Burning posted:

A furry who is a senior scientist vaccine developer. And not a nutritionist from a Doritos bag

https://mobile.twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1467152030212968450

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

That has nothing to do with vaccines though.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

That has nothing to do with vaccines though.

Yeah, but they are also just linking to a south african health department. So it's not something to dismiss as simply as "yucky furry lady".

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Hopefully she's not misleading quoting only part of what they are saying again

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

brugroffil posted:

Hopefully she's not misleading quoting only part of what they are saying again

You can check, the link is right there.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

OOCC, do you think this is evidence that omicron is attenuating to be ‘mild’?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I find it really weird that hospitalizations are rising exponentially at the same time omicron is rising exponentially, but actually it’s all “incidental” admissions unrelated to Covid.

e: This is also a very common counter-argument used by chuds, denialists/minimalists, Blue MAGA etc. whenever hospitalizations rise in the US.

Gio fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 5, 2021

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

This is your weekly reminder that Chise deals in dangerous disease panglossianism, and has repeatedly been caught being overoptimistic.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gio posted:

e: This is also a very common counter-argument used by chuds, denialists/minimalists, Blue MAGA etc. whenever hospitalizations rise in the US.

It's a quote from the south african department that does hospital and waste water tracking system. They aren't democrats or even in the US.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Gio posted:

I find it really weird that hospitalizations are rising exponentially at the same time omicron is rising exponentially, but actually it’s all “incidental” admissions unrelated to Covid.

Being hospitalized WITH omicron, not OF omicron.

Remarkable how many of the arguments popular among a certain crowd 12-18 months ago are now eagerly embraced by a different crowd.

e: I wonder if deaths lag cases and it's too early to know exactly how a new variant that's only kicked into high gear in the last couple of weeks is going to play out. If only we had 18+ months of this same pandemic to know if deaths lag cases by any appreciable amount. Oh well.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/GANyborg/status/1467488178328281093?t=LhY1vS7oomYHjluo9R34OQ&s=19

:piss:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

brugroffil posted:

Being hospitalized WITH omicron, not OF omicron.

Yeah man, if a community has a rate of covid the random sample of people in the hospital that also have covid will go up proportionally. They are saying at the door tests are showing more cases (cases are rising in the community), but covid related admissions is still low and the cases of pneumonia in the hospital is still down.

quote:

There were only 2 patients in the COVID ICU in the last 14 days, neither of whom had a primary diagnosis of COVID pneumonia. Sixty-three patients were admitted to high care, but our anecdotal information is that the majority of high care admissions were for a diagnosis other than COVID.

In the snapshot Table 1 above, 3 of the 4 patients in the high care ward had a primary diagnosis of severe COVID pneumonia so it could be that the more recent profile is changing to more severe COVID disease. A more detailed analysis of high care patients is being conducted and may be more revealing.

More precise measures of severity of disease in hospitalized individuals require a review of Chest X-Ray or lung Computer Tomography findings (percent of lung fields showing changes), blood gas measures, blood biomarkers and the concomitant effect of co-morbidities on the patient’s condition. Detailed studies of both the crude and more precise measures of disease severity are being done locally by several teams of researchers and the team at Steve Biko is participating in these studies.

A significant early finding in this analysis is the much shorter average length of stay of 2.8 days for SARS-CoV-2 positive patients admitted to the COVID wards over the last two weeks compared to an average length of stay of 8.5 days for the past 18 months. The NICD reports a similar shorter length of stay for all hospitals in Tshwane in its weekly report. It is also less than the Gauteng or National average length of stay reported by the NICD in previous waves.

In summary, the first impression on examination of the 166 patients admitted since the Omicron variant made an appearance, together with the snapshot of the clinical profile of 42 patients currently in the COVID wards at the SBAH/TDH complex, is that the majority of hospital admissions are for diagnoses unrelated to COVID-19. The SARS-CoV-2 positivity is an incidental finding in these patients and is largely driven by hospital policy requiring testing of all patients requiring admission to the hospital.

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 5, 2021

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's a quote from the south african department that does hospital and waste water tracking system. They aren't democrats or even in the US.
I’m not qualified to interpret any data but to this point, covid-pollyanna/denialist/minimalist arguments often travel across borders using “the internet.”

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gio posted:

I’m not qualified to interpret any data but to this point, covid-pollyanna/denialists/minimalist arguments often travel across borders using “the internet.”

It's the only hospital system on earth that has any sort of trend data for omnicron infections. Like maybe they got online and are "blue maga" or chuds or whatever, but it's the only data the human race has so far for more than a few days. It might change later, but it seems like you are discounting it because you don't like what it says more than are you making any argument it's actually false.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Gio posted:

I’m not qualified to interpret any data but to this point, covid-pollyanna/denialist/minimalist arguments often travel across borders using “the internet.”

Well one interpretation is that if this virus mutates to evade a vaccine's protection from hospitalization we're hosed because it seems to be rather more transmissible, but for right now, in SA, hospitalizations have remained manageable.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah man, if a community has a rate of covid the random sample of people in the hospital that also have covid will go up proportionally. They are saying at the door tests are showing more cases (cases are rising in the community), but covid related admissions is still low and the cases of pneumonia in the hospital is still down.

Again, do you think this is evidence that Covid is attenuating to be mild (as Chise repeatedly suggests with the evidence they present)?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gio posted:

Again, do you think this is evidence that Covid is attenuating to be mild (as Chise repeatedly suggests with the evidence they present)?

Just make your point, provide evidence for your claims, and back down when somebody shows you're wrong like a normal person.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just make your point, provide evidence for your claims, and back down when somebody shows you're wrong like a normal person.
I asked a question. D&D rules explicitly states that asking questions is ok and encouraged. I would like OOCC’s informed opinion.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gio posted:

I think you aren't getting what you hoped out of omicron and now are trying to repeatedly pull it back to being about your enemy the furry lady instead of wanting to confront data you find disappointing.

We don't know if omicron is mild yet, we know it has not caused any deaths in an amount of time other variants had caused deaths and has had a lower hospitalization rate than other waves did at this point. We do not know if it's the mutation in the virus, statistical luck, past immunity or something about some change in treatment causing that. We do know that the data we have so far is the data we have so far and there is no special reason to discount it off hand or link it specifically to one woman the internet hates now because she retweeted it like she is the sole source of it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think you aren't getting what you hoped out of omicron and now are trying to repeatedly pull it back to being about your enemy the furry lady instead of wanting to confront data you find disappointing.

We don't know if omicron is mild yet, we know it has not caused any deaths in an amount of time other variants had caused deaths and has had a lower hospitalization rate than other waves did at this point. We do not know if it's the mutation in the virus, statistical luck, past immunity or something about some change in treatment causing that. We do know that the data we have so far is the data we have so far and there is no special reason to discount it off hand or link it specifically to one woman the internet hates now because she retweeted it like she is the sole source of it.

Owl, I want you to know that I appreciate the levity that you add to this thread.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
the first detected case of covid in the US was feb 29th 2020, within ten days 39 people were dead.

The first observed case of omicron in the US was nov 25, ten days on from that we have zero deaths from it.

The virus itself may or may not be somewhat milder. Eventually there will be reports of death and the usual suspects can dance their little victory dance. So far the data we have is showing less severe outcomes, for as of yet unknown reasons.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

the first detected case of covid in the US was feb 29th 2020, within ten days 39 people were dead.

The first observed case of omicron in the US was nov 25, ten days on from that we have zero deaths from it.

The virus itself may or may not be somewhat milder. Eventually there will be reports of death and the usual suspects can dance their little victory dance. So far the data we have is showing less severe outcomes, for as of yet unknown reasons.

That seems to be an unfair comparison given that Covid was spreading for at least two months prior to the first cases being detected.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

10 days on we've had thousands of COVID deaths. How many were even sequenced?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Owl, I think you owe an apology to our brave healthcare workers who have continuously and greatly improved in treating this novel disease.

In nothing do men more nearly approach the gods, than in giving health to men.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
We also know from the lab that Spike can evolve to bind ACE2 so strongly that immune response becomes irrelevant and the only way out is either being born with a mutant ACE2 or gene therapy. This thing has a lot of space to do bad things.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Wang Commander posted:

We also know from the lab that Spike can evolve to bind ACE2 so strongly that immune response becomes irrelevant and the only way out is either being born with a mutant ACE2 or gene therapy. This thing has a lot of space to do bad things.

Haven't most of the cases of Omicron been mild?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Willo567 posted:

WC’s not talking about Omicron’s spike, but about theoretical spikes explored in the laboratory.

But to answer your question, yeah, sure. Most of the cases of all variants thus far have been mild, it’s just that unacceptably large minorities are hospitalized, maimed, and/or killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Willo567 posted:

He has evolved past talking about the current real world variants into talking about some hypothetical as of yet unseen future variant. It'll be captain trips doomsday virus any day now, just you wait, etc.