Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If she has an infection it might be messing with her appetite and desire for even treats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

You're gonna have a new dog, aren't you.
No!

....Maybe!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is so awesome.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

ImplicitAssembler posted:

This is so awesome.

Seconded. there a few things as cute as dogs in jumpers

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Hey thread! Do we have a favorite snuffle mat, especially for the 50-80lb dog range? Nova’s pretty good at her puzzle feeder and also decent at sniffing her food out around the house, but my pillows and blankets are starting to get a little grody from hiding food underneath them.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Pupdate: this random taco salad thing from Amazon seems like a winner. Sturdy and machine washable and lots of different places to hide things.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It doesn't matter what the temperature is, if there's water she's in it.

Her sticks kept sinking in the current by the waterfall :(

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Her sticks kept sinking in the current by the waterfall :(

Won’t someone solve this injustice?

Had a completely off-leash hike with Pongo today, it was lovely. He does a good job of staying relatively close up ahead and listens when I tell him to Wait for me or turn left/right at an intersection. Only had one instance where he spotted a squirrel down a hill and took off after it and had to deploy the recall special weapon The Ball (ball is life).

I need to work on recall more but overall 10/10 good boy. Normally I would keep him leashed in case of other dogs, etc but the park was completely empty this morning.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

devmd01 posted:

I need to work on recall more but overall 10/10 good boy. Normally I would keep him leashed in case of other dogs, etc but the park was completely empty this morning.

I rarely get to let mine off leash because of where we live - lots of sheep hereabouts and farmers more than happy to take a shot at a dog that gets too close, but the look of pure joy when they realize you are letting them go is amazing.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Training recall is one thing I've never had any success with.

I've read books, watched videos, even talked to a trainer. I've done all the things it tells me to. In a controlled area (indoors, or on a lead outside), if I call Kepler, he comes right over, 100% of the time.

But once we get outside and off-leash, it's like I don't even exist. I've tried every treat under the sun -- even freshly cooked meat -- and nothing is more appealing than running around like an idiot.

The couple of times he's escaped, we were fortunately able to track him through the neighborhood. He'd run a house or two over, hang out until we got close, and then run another yard or two away. I think he thinks it's a fun game getting us to chase him, but we've always been very careful during training not to chase him or encourage him to run.

Any ideas? I'm hoping we can have an in-person trainer soon, depending on how this new COVID variant goes. We found a lot of success with our last one online, but a few things (leash skills, recall, etc.) have proven more difficult to work on over Zoom.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Have you tried outside but on a longline - ideally playing recall ping pong between two people. I use a 10 meter line with my dogs when training recall outdoors and find it works well. Once they have that nailed on I do ping pong recall but with no leash but the two people no more than 5 or 6 meters apart. Gradually increasing the distance over time. Dogs are contextual learners so they do need to effectively relearn recall once in the great outdoors. The other thing to try and avoid is the recalling to you means the end of the fun - i.e. lead goes on and its time to go home so practicing recall and then more fun stuff happens is also important.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Andoman posted:

Have you tried outside but on a longline - ideally playing recall ping pong between two people. I use a 10 meter line with my dogs when training recall outdoors and find it works well. Once they have that nailed on I do ping pong recall but with no leash but the two people no more than 5 or 6 meters apart. Gradually increasing the distance over time. Dogs are contextual learners so they do need to effectively relearn recall once in the great outdoors. The other thing to try and avoid is the recalling to you means the end of the fun - i.e. lead goes on and its time to go home so practicing recall and then more fun stuff happens is also important.
We've done ping-pong recall indoors, and outdoors on a lead, but once we're off-leash (even in our fenced yard), he miiiight do it once or twice for a treat, then he'll get bored and run off to sniff something.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I feel like some dogs just don't have sufficient drive to please their owners to be wholly trustworthy off-leash. I know that Pavlov, my dog, is way too independent and curious to be interested in coming to me if he's off-leash in an open area. I've just gotten used to keeping him on a leash. Sure, he'd be happier off-leash, but I can't guarantee that he won't run off somewhere I can't get to him and end up lost, on someone else's property, or hurt. It's not worth the risk.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's not worth the risk.

:emptyquote:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

I feel like some dogs just don't have sufficient drive to please their owners to be wholly trustworthy off-leash. I know that Pavlov, my dog, is way too independent and curious to be interested in coming to me if he's off-leash in an open area. I've just gotten used to keeping him on a leash. Sure, he'd be happier off-leash, but I can't guarantee that he won't run off somewhere I can't get to him and end up lost, on someone else's property, or hurt. It's not worth the risk.

It definitely wouldn't be for "let's walk/hike with no leash" situations. I've never done that with any of my dogs.

It's more for "oh crap, the leash broke and he's heading for traffic" situations. I want him to be able to return to me when I call him.

I live in a fairly quiet suburb, but there's a busy highway with blind curves less than a mile from my house. I've been teaching Kepler not to walk into the street without permission, and he does that pretty well on-leash (when we come to a corner he automatically stops and waits for an "OK release!"), but I don't trust him to do that off-leash.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

WhiteHowler posted:

It definitely wouldn't be for "let's walk/hike with no leash" situations. I've never done that with any of my dogs.

It's more for "oh crap, the leash broke and he's heading for traffic" situations. I want him to be able to return to me when I call him.

I live in a fairly quiet suburb, but there's a busy highway with blind curves less than a mile from my house. I've been teaching Kepler not to walk into the street without permission, and he does that pretty well on-leash (when we come to a corner he automatically stops and waits for an "OK release!"), but I don't trust him to do that off-leash.

you can also train an emergency recall that is different from the standard recall. Pick a new word, use it in a recall situation and literally shower your dog with treats. Do not overuse it but reinforce it periodically in training. The idea being its nailed on will not be ignored recall for dangerous situations.

Let me know if I explained that badly

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

WhiteHowler posted:

ItI've been teaching Kepler

God drat is that a great dog name.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Tayter Swift posted:

God drat is that a great dog name.
Ms. Howler and I are astronomy nerds. If we get another dog, I think we've settled on naming it Cassini.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Name it Moon Dog

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Luna

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

It snowed, dogs are thrilled

Sneak

GOGOGOGO

Mina was having fun, that's just her face

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Instant Jellyfish posted:

It snowed, dogs are thrilled

Sneak

GOGOGOGO

Mina was having fun, that's just her face

A very cute resting bitch face.
Not to be confused for when she's sleeping and it's the resting bitch's face

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Based on the rules, I don't think I'm allowed to post in this thread anymore.

But I want to thank you all for your help in raising Winnie. We now know she's a happy and healthy 25% bulldog (the wrinkles), 25% cattle dog/retriever (stop loving moving unless she wants to snuggle), and 50% American pointer.

She has several feet

And her brother is getting better about allowing her to cuddle.

My wife bought her dragon wings as a joke and Winnie wouldn't let us take them off at night time.

So anyway yes, thanks goons. See you in the other dog thread.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
My dog Pavlov is coming up on 10 years old, and while he's still mostly in good shape, there's been a few times in the past few months where he'll be running around and then suddenly yelp and start limping. He's always favoring one of his forelegs. If I take the leg and gently work it around a bit, he seems to feel better -- he's able to put weight on it again, for example. If I don't do this, then the problem doesn't seem to readily go away on its own -- the first time it happened, he was still limping hours later. It seems to be a problem with the upper (shoulder?) joints, where the leg meets the body.

I'm guessing this is just one facet of him getting older, but I'm wondering what's going on and if there's anything I ought to know or be doing differently.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

My dog Pavlov is coming up on 10 years old, and while he's still mostly in good shape, there's been a few times in the past few months where he'll be running around and then suddenly yelp and start limping. He's always favoring one of his forelegs. If I take the leg and gently work it around a bit, he seems to feel better -- he's able to put weight on it again, for example. If I don't do this, then the problem doesn't seem to readily go away on its own -- the first time it happened, he was still limping hours later. It seems to be a problem with the upper (shoulder?) joints, where the leg meets the body.

I'm guessing this is just one facet of him getting older, but I'm wondering what's going on and if there's anything I ought to know or be doing differently.

You should take him to your Vet for a check up. They may want to do a joint tap and a blood test depending on what they see.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Andoman posted:

You should take him to your Vet for a check up. They may want to do a joint tap and a blood test depending on what they see.

He is, unfortunately, absolutely terrified of the vet. He has to be sedated for pretty much everything, and he takes a lot of sedating. It's very stressful for him (like, he'll spend the entire next day in his crate, recovering), so I don't want to subject him to it unless there's a clear need.

Can you describe what kinds of things those tests would be looking for? That would help me give some sense of the factors involved.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Andoman posted:

Take him to a different vet? Or is he too willey to be so easily bamboozled?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

He is, unfortunately, absolutely terrified of the vet. He has to be sedated for pretty much everything, and he takes a lot of sedating. It's very stressful for him (like, he'll spend the entire next day in his crate, recovering), so I don't want to subject him to it unless there's a clear need.

Can you describe what kinds of things those tests would be looking for? That would help me give some sense of the factors involved.

The leg issues could have a dozen different causes. It could be anything from a touch of arthritis to full-on hip dysplasia, and there are many tests that a vet will be able to run that you can't. He may even just be playing too hard for his age -- when Ahboo got older we had to stop taking him to the dog park because he'd still play like he was a puppy, and the next day he'd be so sore he could barely walk. Dogs don't understand moderation.

You may want to call the vet's office and tell them how traumatic the visits are for your dog. A good vet should be able to work with you -- maybe do some of the visit outdoors, or even come to your home (a friend recently did this with her elderly and mostly immobile dog). Even just going to a different vet may help with the panic, since the people, layout, and smells won't be the same.

For what it's worth, you should get him examined and treated as soon as possible. Ahboo developed severe arthritis around the time he turned eight, and he seemed to be deteriorating so quickly that we were afraid he might lose most/all of his mobility within another year or two. But we worked with an amazing vet and got him on a mix of medications and joint supplements that had an amazing effect (gabepentin, methocarbomol, and cosequin/dasequin). His mobility improved greatly, and he got another six years of running and playing out of those legs before old age finally caught up to him. Even at 14 and a half, he still had his "puppy moments", something we'd thought had been gone forever before finding him a good drug regimen.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Whitehowler has described a few so I won't repeat those. It can also be a sign of auto-immune diseases, specifically Immune Mediated Poly Arthritis (IMPA) which can attack not only the joints but also the vital organs. Blood tests and Joint taps will look for inflammation markers etc. Typically a joint tap is done under sedation but sometimes under full anesthetic.

What I would say though is that repeated lameness really ought to be looked at as their is potential for underlying issues. If you are unsure you could call your vet for a telephone consultation and see if there is anything that could be done other than but your dog through the stress of a visit but I would expect them to want to do a proper examination. Here in the UK we have a service you can subscribe to called Vidi-Vet where they will do video consultations but cant prescribe anything - I don't know if there is a similar service where you are but might be worth checking.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

HootTheOwl posted:

Take him to a different vet? Or is he too willey to be so easily bamboozled?

Yeah, it's not that specific environment, it's the general circumstances. He's always been bad with strangers wanting to poke and prod at him; he spent the first year or so of his life in a shelter and, I suspect, didn't get exposed to enough different people. There might be some abuse in his background too, who knows. But the practical upshot is that he can't get an examination while conscious, because he'll get reactive and try to bark/snap at the vet.

Thanks for the extra info, y'all. I'll call up the vet and see what we can set up. I expect any appointment will have to wait until next year though; last I checked, the wait time in my area was 3+ weeks.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Well my nightmare happened. Took my dog for a walk and a loose pitbull loomed out of the darkness. Off leash, no tags, went right for my dogs neck and got him. I buried my foot in his diaphragm and he let go. I was able to keep between my dog and the pit while I let the dog know what I thought of him. Eventually a young woman ran out to get her dog, followed by a man who apologized profusely. I was high on adrenaline so I yelled that the dog was a menace to this guy. I'm a huge guy so I'm sure I scared this dood shitless. Didn't break the skin on my dog, and he was shook up but seems okay. Intense night

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Goodpancakes posted:

Well my nightmare happened. Took my dog for a walk and a loose pitbull loomed out of the darkness. Off leash, no tags, went right for my dogs neck and got him. I buried my foot in his diaphragm and he let go. I was able to keep between my dog and the pit while I let the dog know what I thought of him. Eventually a young woman ran out to get her dog, followed by a man who apologized profusely. I was high on adrenaline so I yelled that the dog was a menace to this guy. I'm a huge guy so I'm sure I scared this dood shitless. Didn't break the skin on my dog, and he was shook up but seems okay. Intense night

Burn them all.

ULL NEVER RID ME
Sep 20, 2012
a picard in the forest

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ULL NEVER RID ME posted:

a picard in the forest

An excellent dog, the Captain would be proud.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ULL NEVER RID ME posted:

a picard in the forest

That's a good dog

Here's a chop chop enjoying his treat Kong after a game of find it

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
We got Gordie a new coat for his walks since it's getting cold.

He's a staffordshire bull terrier which some consider a pit bull depending on how you want to define it. He's only 10 months old so if we do see some dog aggression from him, it may not come until he's a little older, but so far so good. He goes to daycare twice a week and I've told them to let me know if they have any problems and we'd pull him, but as of now they have him out there in both play sessions, one with the big dogs and one with the little dogs, and he's done really well. We're still very cautious with him around other dogs. He's never out unleashed or unsupervised, and we have a big wooden fence so I'm not worried about him escaping since we don't leave him out there alone. Can't be too careful though. I'd hate to have an accident like that one. He'll be starting his beginner classes here in a couple months and hopefully we can get him his canine good citizen cert at the end of that and get some good graduation pictures with a better camera.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Goodpancakes posted:

Maybe being scared shitless will give him a wakeup call about keeping his dog secure! Even if he wasn't dog aggressive he could have been hit by a car or any number of things. Glad your dog is ok!

ULL NEVER RID ME posted:

a picard in the forest

Post more of this dog :swoon: One of my sheep shearing clients has a berger picard and I love that scruff,

ULL NEVER RID ME
Sep 20, 2012

puppy picard

taking a selfie

picard in a river

modeling

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ULL NEVER RID ME posted:

taking a selfie

:allears:

Adbot