Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I’ve never lent money to friends or family. I’ve given money to family when I could afford to, and vice versa, but never lent. Who the gently caress wants to be a creditor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

That's stupid.

It gets stupider, because it goes Matrix. It's not "a malevolent Super-AI may evolve in your lifetime and torture its enemies", it's "a Super-AI could create a simulation of the world to find out who its enemies are and torture them. Thanks to <bad probability reasoning> it is most likely you're in that simulation, therefore a Super-AI DOES evolve in your lifetime and your actions definitely determine your fate."

If a malevolent God does not exist, man decided to create him.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
People are weird about money because they trade time in their life for it, their most valuable resource, and so it gets attached to a lot of emotions.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Hellblazer187 posted:

religion sounds exhausting.

It only is if you make it the central tenant and facet of your very being and the only thing that matters to you

Otherwise it's kind of interesting to delve into aspects of it but not have it consume your whole

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

God I wish someone would consume my whole

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Oh no, they got Trevor!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Religion is pretty easy so long as you avoid believing that completely innocuous acts are evil and actively harmful poo poo is good. It's not a particularly insurmountable bar, despite the obscene amount of people who fail to pass it.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

:forkbomb:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Xlorp posted:

Oh no, they got Trevor!

Oh Trevor, I pine for thee!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I thought Hindus took in Jesus as another facet of one of their gods?

At least the Hindu gods seem pretty cool.

no that was buddha and they made him a special incarnation of Vishnu where Vishnu incarnated as a guy who went around teaching everyone the wrong thing so that he could know who the true believers are.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

no that was buddha and they made him a special incarnation of Vishnu where Vishnu incarnated as a guy who went around teaching everyone the wrong thing so that he could know who the true believers are.

https://youtu.be/PvY6YQH9kE4

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I love an unenforceable punishment
AITA for banning my daughter from seeing her boyfriend

quote:

My daughter is 15 by the way. The full context of this is that, over these past few months I’m seeing things that I don’t like from her. She comes home after curfew and doesn’t text her mom, doesn’t text me, just comes in and claims her phone died, she forgot, she thought she texted. Once or twice I can accept, but, it happened many times.

She told us her grades were fine, until we got an actual look at this and as it turns out, our idea of fine is much different than hers. We offered all of the help we could give, she declined, said she’d buckle down, she didn’t.

Last weekend she came hone after curfew, clearly had been drinking and changed her story from. “ I wasn’t drinking” to “ maybe I was but I didn’t know I was” to “ everyone else was, relax” to “ didn’t you drink in high school “

Her mom and I have decided she needs a huge wake up call and we told her she’s not allowed to see or text her boyfriend this month.

She believes we are being harsh and unforgiving. We believe we’ve been very lenient.

AITA

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ziv Zulander posted:

Dante’s inferno is a piece of fiction that got popular enough everybody thinks it’s actually part of the Bible

And it's a helluva read, no pun intended. It's Dante throwing shade at Popes and important Italians of the past and where they all ended up in Hell. The fire and brimstone parts are in the middle, but when Dante and Virgil get all the way to the bottom depths of Hell they find Satan trapped in a lake of ice because being that far in Hell means they are the furthest distance possible from God's warming Grace so the sinners there are incased in ice. It's very allegorical and metaphorical and all that poo poo.

It has nothing at all to do with the Bible or official Catholic teachings.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for not wanting to be stuck as "little/second mom" to my siblings?

quote:

I am the oldest of four. My parents have me 16f, my brother 12m, my sisters 10f and 9f. When my brother was born my parents joked that I was the little mom and would help out like all good big siblings should. That started as a joke but once my brother started school my parents dumped homework help on me. And then it became my job to drop my stuff and walk a sibling to a friends house. Which then became me responsible for "helping" with their chores like parents do with toddlers. I honestly hate it. Especially because these are my jobs in the family. And my parents never do them. Unless a friend visit requires driving because I don't drive. But other than that the stuff I listed is my little mom/second mom responsibility and that has become a more serious thing.

My parents decided last week to take two days off work and parental responsibility and spent those days hanging out. I was left in charge of my siblings and I also had three assignments to catch up on because my responsibilities at home have gotten in the way of my school work. I stay up late to do my own homework because my siblings are always asking for my help which causes constant interruptions. My 10 year old sister asked me for help with math because she was struggling and couldn't do the problems without help. I told her I couldn't help her and I was doing my own work. She started to cry and said she needed me and she even called me second mommy. I told her I needed to finish and then I would help her but she needed to let me do my work. Then in chimed my other sister who wanted help with reading. And then she started reading out loud to me when I asked her to wait. I got up from the table and locked myself in the office to finish. I got into trouble for using the family computer for homework without permission. And I was told I should have helped with the homework.

The second day was more of the same, and complaints because I did homework while they did chores and didn't help. My parents were pissed at me. I told them I do not want to do this poo poo anymore. That they are the parents not me and I need to put myself first. I said I never wanted to do any of this to begin with. They called me mean and said I hurt my sisters feelings.

AITA?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I did like that Satan flapping his wings in an attempt to fly free cools the air enough that he freezes the air and traps himself in Coccytus

Inferno is a great read.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Seth Pecksniff posted:

It only is if you make it the central tenant

I, too, would be exhausted by people renting parts of my body. Though better off I guess?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

feedmegin posted:

I, too, would be exhausted by people renting parts of my body. Though better off I guess?

Pregnancy sounds terrible, yeah.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Wolfsbane posted:

Couple of pages back, but: in the UK our current Conservative government had "cultural genocide of the Roma" as one of their election promises, and if it wasn't for Covid they would absolutely be getting on with that right now.

...sort of. Irish travellers aren't Roma, not that Roma wouldn't also be on The List.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Funktastic posted:

I love an unenforceable punishment
AITA for banning my daughter from seeing her boyfriend

There is so much not being said and left vague in here that I want to take the side of the teenager.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

CannonFodder posted:

And it's a helluva read, no pun intended. It's Dante throwing shade at Popes and important Italians of the past and where they all ended up in Hell. The fire and brimstone parts are in the middle, but when Dante and Virgil get all the way to the bottom depths of Hell they find Satan trapped in a lake of ice because being that far in Hell means they are the furthest distance possible from God's warming Grace so the sinners there are incased in ice. It's very allegorical and metaphorical and all that poo poo.

It has nothing at all to do with the Bible or official Catholic teachings.

Of course! Winter happens because there is less god since he goes on vacation to Australia. It all makes sense.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Its absolutely aaages ago, but I read the Inferno and thought it was extremely cool and interesting, skipped Purgatory, read Heaven and it was so so dull.
We are much better at imagining terrible outcomes than beautiful, perfect ones.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

I did like that Satan flapping his wings in an attempt to fly free cools the air enough that he freezes the air and traps himself in Coccytus

Inferno is a great read.

That flapping establishes that Satan is powerless, ignorant and all evil to contrast with God's Omnipotence, Omniscience and Omnibenevolence.

I listened to it on audio book, and it kicked rear end. Definitely the best way to get through older books.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 5, 2021

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Of course! Winter happens because there is less god since he goes on vacation to Australia. It all makes sense.
I don't know if an Italian circa 1300 even knew of Australia, yet his logic of God going to Australia is sound. January in Melbourne sounds fantastic.

Pookah posted:

Its absolutely aaages ago, but I read the Inferno and thought it was extremely cool and interesting, skipped Purgatory, read Heaven and it was so so dull.
The most interesting thing of Purgatorio is that in the deepest parts of Hell the sinners / traitors encased in ice are crying and their tears freeze keeping them in place. They cry because they defied God. In Purgatory there are people trapped in fire and they are crying, but they are crying tears of joy because the fire is cleansing their earthly sins so they can fully enter Heaven and God's Grace. Metaphor, allegory, blah blah.

Also, there are no gates of Heaven, there are gates of Purgatory which the blessed will pass through first before they ever can enter Heaven. So the whole trope of St. Peter at the Pearly Gates of Heaven is completely different from the Dante Purgatorio/Paradisio version.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 5, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pookah posted:

Purgatorio is basically Hell II, it's fun. but yeah christians are so much better at coming up with evil afterlifes than good ones, I'd take most of the upper circles over hanging around in assorted shapes singing for eternity

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for laughing after my sister implied my brother's girlfriend's dish wasn't good at Thanksgiving?

quote:

I, 27F and my brother "John" 26M are very close, so I was definitely shocked when he surprised us on Thanksgiving by bringing his new girlfriend "Chelsea".

He was very happy though, and tbh, that's the only thing we want for him, so we (grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins) held off on all questions until another time.

Anyway, dinner time rolls around and we're sharing everything, and my aunt kinda pulls me off to the side and tells me we're not gonna be eating my mashed potatoes because Chelsea brought some and John asked that we serve those.

I was a little peeved not gonna lie, because I've done the mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving since I was sixteen, but I got over it pretty fast. I really didn't care as long as they were good.

Spoiler alert, they were not.

Everything that could've gone wrong with those potatoes went wrong.

They were raisins.

She was really excited though so when she asked everybody if they were good she got some "mmhhmms."

You know, the kind you do with your mouth closed and an uncomfortable smile on your face.

Everything else was good, so her dish was highlighted. We all thought we passed it though, until my nephew spit it out into a tissue.

She said something about not pleasing everybody to lighten the mood cause we were all looking at him hard as hell, and my brother went "I'm sure they glad to have a break from [my] potatoes anyway" and then laughed.

I wasn't gonna say anything, but my sister (22F) said "We are not" in the most monotone voice and I just laughed, man.

Like one burst of a cackle.

Chelsea teared up and the rest of the night was awkward. My brother called me an rear end and is still mad at me.

AITA?

EDIT: My sister and I both apologised, although I just said "I'm really sorry" and my sister did more.

Evil Willow fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 5, 2021

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Important mashed potato info

quote:

They were burnt and runny, and the taste was off completely. But by "they were raisins" I meant she actually put raisins in the mashed potatoes. Like dried grapes. In the mashed potatoes.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Lol Thanksgiving etc, but why do people insist on forcing other people to eat food when they can't cook at all? Do they know it's poo poo? Or have they only eaten such bad food that it's normal?

If I gently caress up food (and I'm not a great cook but can follow a recipe), I will preface serving it with an apology that it's dry etc

Funktastic posted:

Important mashed potato info
wtf

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

I don't know if an Italian circa 1300 even knew of Australia, yet his logic of God going to Australia is sound. January in Melbourne sounds fantastic.

There was absolutely no way an Italian in 1300 knew Australia existed. There were definitely vague rumors of a land beyond the sea (now the Americas) but no European really knew the continent existed until like the 1600s iirc (edit: apparently the Dutch found it first in 1606)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Raisins in mashed potatoes should be a war crime.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Seth Pecksniff posted:

There was absolutely no way an Italian in 1300 knew Australia existed. There were definitely vague rumors of a land beyond the sea (now the Americas) but no European really knew the continent existed until like the 1600s iirc (edit: apparently the Dutch found it first in 1606)

Other than, you know, the people that lived there

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Raisins are one of those things where if it's an ingredient, then it ought to be included in the name of the food so that you know what you're getting into. Raisins in oatmeal raisin cookies are okay! Raisins in mashed potatoes are not okay, unless you call them 'mashed potatoes with raisins', and saying that out loud should indicate to you on a visceral level that that's disgusting.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Uncle Enzo posted:

Other than, you know, the people that lived there

Who were not Europeans........

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I am fine with surprise raisins in any curry.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Paper Tiger posted:

Raisins are one of those things where if it's an ingredient, then it ought to be included in the name of the food so that you know what you're getting into. Raisins in oatmeal raisin cookies are okay! Raisins in mashed potatoes are not okay, unless you call them 'mashed potatoes with raisins', and saying that out loud should indicate to you on a visceral level that that's disgusting.

I thought maybe she saw it on one of those gimmick recipe videos, but I couldn't find anything. A brief google brings up plenty of recipes for sweet potatoes with raisins, which is a mistake a novice cook might make if they don't know what sweet potatoes are. The only recipes using normal potatoes and raisins are from india and the result isn't what americans would recognise as mashed potatoes: http://www.dvo.com/recipe_pages/india/Rajasthani_Potatoes_with_Cashews_and_Raisins.php

Maybe it's her great grandmother's recipe from the depression when they couldn't afford sugar so putting raisins in mashed potatoes was a treat. Then it became a family tradition and she doesn't realize it's a crazy thing to do.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for laughing after my sister implied my brother's girlfriend's dish wasn't good at Thanksgiving?

quote:

I, 27F and my brother "John" 26M are very close, so I was definitely shocked when he surprised us on Thanksgiving by bringing his new girlfriend "Chelsea".

He was very happy though, and tbh, that's the only thing we want for him, so we (grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins) held off on all questions until another time.

I feel like there's some pretty important info about the girlfriend being left out here

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Let’s not overlook the fact that the potatoes were burnt as well.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I feel like there's some pretty important info about the girlfriend being left out here

Some families are really lovely about giving any newcomers the third degree at the dinner table, and they opted to hold off on that for now, that's how I interpreted it.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's possible, sure, but it's also entirely possible that holding out hope for more and never getting it is causing you more harm than good. Only you can answer that, and only by taking a long hard think about your own emotional well-being.

It may be better for you to take a step back and downgrade the relationship from, I guess you'd call it pseudo-romantic?, to strictly platonic or even casual friendship. It sounds like the current setup is not actually making you happy.

It’s definitely not making me happy. I really want to push it past what it is into something more meaningful. Problem is I like this person too much and I feel that downgrading or just removing them from my the status quo is really going to hurt.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I used to make scrambled eggs with raisins when I was younger. Everyone looks at me crazy when I mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dazerbeams posted:

Let’s not overlook the fact that the potatoes were burnt as well.

How does that happen? Mashed potatoes require boiling first, do they not? Did the pan of water catch fire?

I love mashed potatoes. Dash of butter, milk, and too much pepper, and I've got the perfect side to any meat-and-two-veg