Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

When it says “press (the home button) to connect to my AirPods”, is that supposed to be a shortcut, or just a reminder of the easier way to connect them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

When it says “press (the home button) to connect to my AirPods”, is that supposed to be a shortcut, or just a reminder of the easier way to connect them?

If you hold down the home button is opens a side window that lets you do things like sleep the device or connect to your airpods or homepod.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

smackfu posted:

Shortcut. If you push home, it connects immediately. No need to hold down home.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

It’s definitely Wi-Fi it just uses Wi-Fi direct instead of requiring the devices to be on the same network.

Yeah, it's an ad-hoc network connection that (I think) is initially negotiated over BT.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Is the Dolby vision setting new? Any reason to have it on? I’ve used match frame rate and such with 4K SDR set. I have an LG BX, which is the model below the CX. I think the CX got a Dolby vision update, but not the BX. So…guessing it doesn’t matter

Would it matter otherwise, though? Guessing the content would have to have it, plus your device must be capable

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm having this weird thing where HBO Max always starts everything with the subtitles on and no amount of changing my default language or settings in HBO or the TVOS settings seems to do anything about it. Has anyone else seen this?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yes.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Yah, having the same problem. Havent figured out a fix yet.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

qirex posted:

I'm having this weird thing where HBO Max always starts everything with the subtitles on and no amount of changing my default language or settings in HBO or the TVOS settings seems to do anything about it. Has anyone else seen this?

God yes and it’s driving me up a wall.

I did some google work when it first popped up and no one was talking about it so I just assumed it was a weird bug but it hasn’t gone away.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

qirex posted:

I haven't noticed it because my kids turn subtitles on every fuckin time they watch anything and it drives me insane, so I'm used to turning them off every time :v:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

HBO is the same people who pushed an update that broke all controls during playback so this isn’t shocking but man hire some QA.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Well they’re supposed to be launching a completely new app soon. After they got roasted on social media and the real media, they decided to toss the entire app and start from scratch. I think they said as early as December? But who knows.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Really, a new app? Funny -- in the Nordics we all just transitioned from HBO Nordic (which had its own app) to HBO Max, so we are only now starting to use the HBO Max app. And it is sooo much better than the old Nordic app.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Really, a new app? Funny -- in the Nordics we all just transitioned from HBO Nordic (which had its own app) to HBO Max, so we are only now starting to use the HBO Max app. And it is sooo much better than the old Nordic app.

It's still HBO Max. They're just supposed to be re-writing it from the ground up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Which probably means copy/pasting 98% of the code base and changing a couple UI elements.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably just adding in a few umlauts or whatever.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
I got an Apple TV and some HomePod Minis to simplify my setup but so far it’s not been nearly as “Just Works” as I’d hoped.

My biggest issue is with the HomePods, in a stereo pair and used as the default output of the Apple TV, so I don’t really know if the problem lies with the Apple TV or the HomePods. They’re really bloody unreliable.

The past couple days the volume control on them has been acting up, changing the volume using the remote displays the little bar going up and down, but the sound coming out of the HomePods doesn’t change. Restarting the Apple TV fixed it. Today, they went one further and the volume of each HomePod was independent! The remote changed the volume of one of them, but the other could only be changed by pressing the buttons on the top of it. After some messing about, turning them both up and down, trying to get them at the same “level” by counting taps, they got it together, only to go independent again 10 minutes later.

As an AirPlay target, it’s been a pain in the neck. When used for just audio from my M1 MBA, the audio can be a jittery mess, or it can be OK. My partner can’t AirPlay Audible to them at all from her phone. It seems OK, it connects and continues to “play”, but nothing actually comes out of the HomePods. Today, I tried to AirPlay from Apple Music on my phone and it came out of just one speaker.

Is this typical? I replaced my old HiFi speakers + raspberry pi with shairport-sync to get away from this sort of fuckery!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Not typical for me. Maybe a WiFi issue?

I have used my OG HomePods with an Apple TV since iOS 14 or whenever you could set them as default

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I have the exact same experience. When the sound works they sound great but often they can barely get through a song, to the point of non-usability.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Everything is in the same room as my access point, getting a strong 5GHz signal.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

My Siri v2 remote has totally bugged out. It keeps sending a volume down IR command to my tv. It’s not currently configured to do this (I.e the option for controlling the tv via IR is disabled in settings)

It’s not a physical problem with the button, as pressing the volume down button changes the volume via hdmi-cec correctly.

Resetting and re-pairing the remote didn’t help or stop it.

For now I’ve put it in a different room until it’s battery dies.
I’m pretty stumped at why this would happen…. Anyone seen something similar?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Granite Octopus posted:

My Siri v2 remote has totally bugged out. It keeps sending a volume down IR command to my tv. It’s not currently configured to do this (I.e the option for controlling the tv via IR is disabled in settings)

It’s not a physical problem with the button, as pressing the volume down button changes the volume via hdmi-cec correctly.

Mine did that but for my AV receiver. I just had to disable the volume control in the settings and go back to using the AV remote.

No idea why it did it and there wasn’t any damage to the buttons.

I also use headphones with my ATV and it doesn’t do it with them.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any logical reason that auto racing isn’t available as a sport they you can follow? They have stuff like college soccer in there but no F1 or NASCAR.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

smackfu posted:

Is there any logical reason that auto racing isn’t available as a sport they you can follow? They have stuff like college soccer in there but no F1 or NASCAR.

No, intellectual property and the accompanying licensing rights rarely ever follow any logical reason.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Granite Octopus posted:

I had some wacky problems with my v2 remote as well and I ended up fixing it just by fully recharging it.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I’m trying to make my screensaver more Christmas-ey.

Is there a way I can get an Apple TV loop of a fireplace on the screensaver? Right now I use SiriusXM or Plex to play holiday music so what immediately comes to mind is adding a video to one folder on Photos. But videos don’t auto play in the screensaver.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hed posted:

I’m trying to make my screensaver more Christmas-ey.

Is there a way I can get an Apple TV loop of a fireplace on the screensaver? Right now I use SiriusXM or Plex to play holiday music so what immediately comes to mind is adding a video to one folder on Photos. But videos don’t auto play in the screensaver.

https://9to5mac.com/2021/12/05/apple-tv-fireplace-christmas-music/

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Haha Yes! Perfect

:tipshat:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Or there are plenty of fireplace options on Netflix, if you already have a Netflix account.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Re: YouTube. I’m trying to avoid ads playing on my fake fireplace.

Mahoning posted:

Or there are plenty of fireplace options on Netflix, if you already have a Netflix account.

Yeah the problem is they’re only an hour and can’t be looped :(

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

tuyop posted:

Re: YouTube. I’m trying to avoid ads playing on my fake fireplace.

Yeah the problem is they’re only an hour and can’t be looped :(

Magic Fireplace is solid; buncha different styles and they’ll go forever.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wish Apple TV understood the concept that a show or movie might be on different platforms, like Hulu and Peacock, and if I pay for only one, that’s always the one I want.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What (4k resolution) video settings should I set my 4k box to in order to get the largest number of aerial screensavers displayed?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
How long is the power cord in the box? Debating picking one of these up and trying to figure out placement on my TV stand.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Space Racist posted:

How long is the power cord in the box? Debating picking one of these up and trying to figure out placement on my TV stand.

6 feet?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Cool, thanks. Someone on Reddit said 4 feet, while the intended placement on my stand would probably need at least 5 feet.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Space Racist posted:

Cool, thanks. Someone on Reddit said 4 feet, while the intended placement on my stand would probably need at least 5 feet.

I believe it uses a standard IEC C7 ("figure 8") cable, so replacement longer cables are readily available and inexpensive. But best to double-check that if you need to get one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Space Racist posted:

I should add this *may* be an older cable I'm checking with.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

E: Sorry I somehow clicked Apple TV thread when I meant Watch :ohdear:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Weird poo poo happens but I'm not sure how your jacket could have done all that accidentally.

I would put the watch in DND mode and theater mode. That will prevent wake on raise and all that stuff.