Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Medullah posted:

I wonder if once Dexter's identity is revealed, he'll use the podcasters story and say "So many people are obsessed with that story, I had to disappear so other crazy people wouldn't track me down, and I sent Harrison away for his own good.

That actually sounds fairly plausible. Except that he waited a few years to disappear.

Maybe she'll believe him and just start using his expertise to catch her serial. What could go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Note how the podcaster said "they think the [Bay Harbor Butcher] was a fellow cop," as opposed to y'know, acknowledging that the case was closed and no one but a random bench suspected otherwise? Dexter is going to have more than his name revealed.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

was Harrison hallucinating having sliced that girl's ankle open? cuz nobody seemed to notice or care that the knife-happy teen likely sent a young girl to the hospital

that whole drug sequence was really well-done btw

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
"Yeah, it was a hosed up case. Worst I ever worked, person I just met. What was that name again?"

*states into middle distance, turns away*

"Oh yeah, it was..."

*turns back meaningful*

Welp, gotta go meet Lumen in the shadow zone byeeeeeeeeeee!"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

God Hole posted:

was Harrison hallucinating having sliced that girl's ankle open? cuz nobody seemed to notice or care that the knife-happy teen likely sent a young girl to the hospital

that whole drug sequence was really well-done btw

I physically whinced from watching that. So strange.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

"Yeah, it was a hosed up case. Worst I ever worked, person I just met. What was that name again?"

"Oh yeah, it was..."

*turns back meaningful*

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Dexter's attempted kill on the dealer may be his dumbest since the time he killed that guy at the airport.

Middle of the day, everyone in the bar saw his face, so incredibly public.

Then he followed up by learning the other guys name from the police who were investigating and still set up a kill room in the guy's house and was surprised when the police showed up. Luckily, this was a turn-based RPG investigation so when the police arrived it was Dexter's turn and he managed to dress and move the body, take down the kill room and escape undetected in one move.

Medullah posted:

I wonder if once Dexter's identity is revealed, he'll use the podcasters story and say "So many people are obsessed with that story, I had to disappear so other crazy people wouldn't track me down, and I sent Harrison away for his own good.

Dexter has had ten years to think up what he might say if ever discovered and he will have thought of nothing and make up something unconvincing on the fly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Holy poo poo I am loving this. ANHEEEELLLLLLLL!

"She died, real hosed up situation. Her brother too, tragic really. He had a little son, what was his name? uhhh, oh yeah, Harrison cute kid. The guy's name was Dexter, Dexter Morgan. I remember we'd have these talks at lunch time and he'd say "Angel, if I were to ever fake my death and run away, I would change my name to Jim Lindsey. I will be a lumberjack for a while, and then I will work in a gun store. I will also date the chief of police in whatever town I end up in." I always thought it was weird that he would tell me that every day at lunch, but that was Dexter. I think I have a picture of him, yeah this is him, and every year I use the crime computer to age up this photo to imagine what he'd look like now, were he still alive somewhere, here's that photo. You can keep those."

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nep-Nep posted:

Then he followed up by learning the other guys name from the police who were investigating and still set up a kill room in the guy's house and was surprised when the police showed up. Luckily, this was a turn-based RPG investigation so when the police arrived it was Dexter's turn and he managed to dress and move the body, take down the kill room and escape undetected in one move.

It was this sequence when I finally truly felt like the show was back. :allears:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Diabolik900 posted:

It was this sequence when I finally truly felt like the show was back. :allears:

Yep, absolutely.

I also like that Lithgow theory. That would just be a flat-out fun time and a great way to bring him back, and it seems right up Dexter's alley. I'd love a few quick flashbacks that show Harrison was taking a Dexter pause and listening to Trinity during some of the scenes we've seen, or showing that going down when he cut up the "school shooter."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty good ep. The Harrison on drugs sequence was cool.

Lol at anhel revealing so much info for no reason at all. His TED talk was awful too! "Once we realized they all were accused criminals it all came together. Anyway I have no insight into how we made that connection. Questions?"

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Note how the podcaster said "they think the [Bay Harbor Butcher] was a fellow cop," as opposed to y'know, acknowledging that the case was closed and no one but a random bench suspected otherwise? Dexter is going to have more than his name revealed.

She's a podcaster, she squeezes out every last drop of content. Also Dexter was never technically never a cop, just a CSI. Cops *can* be CSI, but I seriously doubt Dex went to police academy/training.

This season really seems like a weird experiment and I feel like I know most of what is going to happen but have zero clue how it could end, assuming they really aren't going to do another season or spinoff. IIRC they said it would make up for the lumberjack ending and be a proper one that fans would like? This season has definitely piqued my interest for a new kind of Dexter, it's definitely a fresh take.

All-in-all, I'll say a couple things. These are mainly observations, not necessarily things I like or dislike.
First, the show doesn't really feel like the original Dexter. The location is different, the characters are diff, the conceit is diff (Dexter isn't really sticking to the code, so he's not exactly a serial-killing serial-killer anymore), the music is diff, and the way it's shot is different too. There is A LOT of stuff missing that kinda defined the show. Besides the actual plot, along with some actors: Dex + Deb + cameo, there is not much linking it to the original.
Secondly, when they do make references to the original (Dex making breakfast, subtle musical nods, using inner-monologue) it is very subtle and not over-used/focused on.
Third, there's a lot of very weird elements thrown in. Deb being the ghost and constantly making GBS threads on Dex is great but then there's also these cartoonish moments. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's never happened in a previous season right? Where the ghost seemingly has a more physical presence? I doubt there will be an explanation or if it even needs one. Hoping to see Deb drop an acme anvil on Dexter's head.

My prediction is that Angela will actually make-up excuses for Dexter, like "omg u think the Trinity Killer is still out there?? They said another cop might have been involved, is that why you ran? You sent Harrison away to keep him safe?" and Dex will say "yep, pretty much." Angela will be too pre-occupied with both Matt's disappearance and the missing girls to give it thought. Angela kicks into overdrive when she finds out Lily (green-haired girl) went missing. She asks Dex for help, he channels ghost Deb to piece together the mysteries. Dex and Angela both realize there is a serial-killer in Iron Lake. Meanwhile, Harrison and Caldwell are bonding? Caldwell ends up kidnapping Angela's daughter Audrey. The rich-dude who hates Aubrey (is he the mayor?) is involved somehow, he taught Caldwell? Hunting down Caldwell (and the mayor?) becomes a father/son bonding experience. Audrey catches Dex/Harrison in the act but is conflicted because Dexter helped save Audrey and solved what happened to the missing girls. She also knows he's the bay harbor butcher and tells Harrison to get away from Dexter..... Harrison..... loving KILLS ANGELA. FADE TO BLACK. DEXTER: NEW BLOOD.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Brass posted:

She's a podcaster, she squeezes out every last drop of content. Also Dexter was never technically never a cop, just a CSI. Cops *can* be CSI, but I seriously doubt Dex went to police academy/training.

No, I mean, as far as the record is concerned, Doakes was the Butcher, and she phrased it as if the case was never closed. Either the writers forgot that little detail, or she's actively investigating that case.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Nep-Nep posted:

Diabolik900 posted:

When Logan showed up in the car I assumed it was him scouting out the house to get some details before they sent in small-town SWAT, they typically get at least a rudimentary feel for stuff like how many doors and windows, number of cars in the driveway and other stuff like that, so Dexter probably knew he had some time before the raid happened.

But it definitely didn't seem like a big time jump lol

Tumble fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 6, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Surprised no one mentioned MCH's band doing the outro song. Nice touch.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I didn't even know he has a band.

Edit: The song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waylMzCaznE

itry fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 6, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Good week for Good Harrison theorists. How many times does Dexter need to tell you Harrison is just like him before the swerve that he isn't becomes clear? Lot of y'all falling for old p.i. tricks and I'm embarrassed for you.

Also the best part of Dexter this week was him apparently having knowledge of and access to personal photos of everyone who O.D.'d on fentanyl in the county for his wall of shame. In my heart there's a deleted scene of him sitting at the police department photocopying photos from old case files.

Edit: the Lithgow cameo will be from Harrison's perspective during his confrontation with the school shooter and will be Trinity telling him to let the kid go through with it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 6, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The best was Pilly Wonka straight up not hearing someone walking around upstairs in his creaky old 2 storey house. Oh yeah, he was gaming or making GBS threads or something, that makes sense

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

"Oh yeah, it was..."

*turns back meaningful*

Say Chicky Hines in the mirror three times I dare you

Edit: Also I thought Batista retired to become a chef or something.

LazyDivey fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 6, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He came back on the force because they needed someone to draw obvious conclusions.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

codo27 posted:

The best was Pilly Wonka straight up not hearing someone walking around upstairs in his creaky old 2 storey house. Oh yeah, he was gaming or making GBS threads or something, that makes sense

This episode sure had a bunch of silly stuff... The photos. The memory lane exposition. Dexter going after dealers in broad daylight. Anything related to the podcaster.

Is this the first time Dexter (or anyone else) viewed what Harry did as "child abuse"? On the one hand, it's about time. On the other... why now?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cojawfee posted:

He came back on the force because they needed someone to draw obvious conclusions.

The commissioner said they wanted him off the bench and he didn't realise they were being literal.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty good ep. The Harrison on drugs sequence was cool.

Lol at anhel revealing so much info for no reason at all. His TED talk was awful too! "Once we realized they all were accused criminals it all came together. Anyway I have no insight into how we made that connection. Questions?"

I love that there was a police convention where the big insight was "if a bunch of missing people in an area all fit a certain profile you might have a serial killer on your hands!"

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Angel is still a horndog. Nice.

Why did Dexter enter the drugdealers house through the 2nd floor?

Caros
May 14, 2008

I'm the computer where you can type in two words, presumably 'Dexter Morgan', and push alt-f9 to print out a single slice newspaper obituary.

Honestly I am just disappointed it didn't flash a big red 'your boyfriend is dexter morgan' at her on the screen, but maybe we just didn't get to see it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

So are Dexter and Clancy Brown going to fight over who gets to train Harrison how to be a serial killer?

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Dexter season 8: "Real hosed-up situation."

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

itry posted:

I didn't even know he has a band.

Edit: The song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waylMzCaznE

this might be the worst song i have ever heard

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

No, I mean, as far as the record is concerned, Doakes was the Butcher, and she phrased it as if the case was never closed. Either the writers forgot that little detail, or she's actively investigating that case.

Dexter kept on killing people, and while he went out further with the bodies it's not unreasonable to think someone might have realised that a whole bunch of criminals were going missing and never reappearing after Doakes died.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It seems pretty likely that there's a 'Doakes was innocent' movement even if that remains the official story.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I liked how Batista turned around before walking away to add that Deb's nephew was named Harrison, as if that information was at all meaningful or relevant to Angela.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also no mention of Cody and Astor, the other children whose mother was killed by the Trinity Killer, because obviously they no longer exist.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They were already arrested for Trinity copy cat killings. No need to mention them since their plot lines were wrapped up.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Argue posted:

I liked how Batista turned around before walking away to add that Deb's nephew was named Harrison, as if that information was at all meaningful or relevant to Angela.

Lots of things in this episode were dumb but this is the one that made me groan and wince. Would have been better if he said something like "her brother Dexter died too and we don't know what happened to her nephew Harrison," or just summarized the last few seasons while Angela stares in increasing bewilderment.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This episode had all the dumb poo poo I use to hate love. The ridiculous stalks and kills, Deus Ex Batista, Teen drama! Dexter is back baby

Caros
May 14, 2008

asciidic posted:

Lots of things in this episode were dumb but this is the one that made me groan and wince. Would have been better if he said something like "her brother Dexter died too and we don't know what happened to her nephew Harrison," or just summarized the last few seasons while Angela stares in increasing bewilderment.

And then there was this really odd case. See the killer developed elaborate mazes for his victims. Ray Speltzer was his name. The minotaur killer. Man could that guy yell gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ub_oagrSk

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Who would have even submitted the obituary? I mean Dexter had no one left besides coworkers, and thats not usually something that would fall to them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

Who would have even submitted the obituary? I mean Dexter had no one left besides coworkers, and thats not usually something that would fall to them.

Batista or Masuka would definitely do it. They both bizarrely see Dexter as a close friend despite getting absolutely nothing from him emotionally through the whole run.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
It's been so long since I've seen the finale, they never found out Dexter was a killer right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

It's been so long since I've seen the finale, they never found out Dexter was a killer right?

Not in the way you'd want from a Dexter finale.

Batista and Quinn do see Dexter murder the bad guy of a season while the guy is in custody and restrained and they both just go "Wow, looks like self-defense to me"