Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Looking to get a strap like the Peak Design Clutch. I don't know the generic term for it, but it's the one that keeps your hand secured against the camera body, like the regular hand strap that goes around your wrist. The problem is the product I linked above sells for a huge markup locally, are there any cheaper, decent alternatives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
I've tried a lot of wrist straps and the Peak is the best one. Try to find a used one if you can?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

blk posted:

I’m looking for a minimal bag, like a sling, for one body with lens - but that can also carry a water bottle and tripod. Has anyone seen one before that’s not a full fledged backpack?

I think the "also carry a tripod" part is where things will get tripped up there, unless you're looking at a very small tripod and a large messenger bag instead of a sling. I have an old Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home that can fit a mirrorless and lens and a few other things that I use if I'm traveling fairly light, and I've put plastic bottles in there plenty of times, but a tripod would be like twice the size.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only way to deal with a tripod and a sling bag is with a gorillapod (spring for the top of the line one, the lesser models are too weak) or an ultrapod (which will limit you to tabletop setups).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Uncle Ivan posted:

I've tried a lot of wrist straps and the Peak is the best one. Try to find a used one if you can?

yeah I bought the Peak Design one anyway lol (paid nearly double, but that's still chump change in this hobby so might as well I guess)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Trying to save 40$ on something that holds your $1000+ set up (loosely guessing) is something I've always found very funny.

At least with Peak Design stuff if you don't like it you can probably sell it second hand for 60-80% of value.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
I have a Canon T7 with a 75-300mm EF, a 24 mm 2.8 efs and a 50mm 1.8 ef ( also the kit lens but I don't use it anymore). I'm looking to upgrade to a mirrorless but don't know what cameras to choose. I like taking pics of animals and would like something that helps me with that (I'm considering buying a sigma or Tamron 150-600). My dream camera would be a Sony a7iii or a7iv but maybe there's some that I'm missing. I was considering a Canon M50 but the digital IBIS and the fact that the M line seems to be abandoned makes me think twice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want to stay Canon, R6 or R5 are where you're headed.

The Sony's are excellent bodies too, they were doing mirrorless properly when Canon was still picking their nose. This means their older bodies will be a bit better than whatever Canon had on the market at the time.. so if you're looking to save some cash, Sony is the place to look.

But if you're buying the newest flagship it matters less, it mostly a question of brand loyalty at that point.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The a7 IV specifically seems to have awesome eye AF for birds and other animals, which is newly available in video as well.

Hopefully that’s something they can patch into some of the other bodies, but I don’t know what the limiting factor would be.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Guacamayo posted:

I was considering a Canon M50 but the digital IBIS and the fact that the M line seems to be abandoned makes me think twice.

The Canon M line, as a former owner, is a real sideways step from where you are now, with no real chance for growth.

Canon’s R line seems like it’s improving and there are native adapters for EF lenses. Sony is good but you’d likely have to sell lenses and buy fresh. I’ll always be happy to welcome more into the Fuji cult, but that may not be best for what you shoot.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I can say from personal experience that the newer Fuji bodies (eg X-T4/3/30, X-S10) are really very good for fast accurate AF subject tracking, and will have better tracking than the T7 across the whole frame. Compared to my older DSLR (Nikon D810) it’s really impressive.

But the Fuji 70-300, which wasn’t released all that long ago, is hard to find and not just stupendously sharp. Maybe about as good as the canon 70-300 that you’ve got (hopefully a little better), but more expensive and hard to find.

The only other native Fuji option for wildlife is the 100-400. It’s probably way nicer than the 70-300 but also more than 2x the price.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Family member gifted me their old Nikon D3000 along with the standard kit lens (AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens) it came with as well as a AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G lens.

I took a photography course in the early 2000s and have forgotten everything. While it makes sense to relearn the basics of shooting in manual mode on an ever forgiving digital camera, I'm stubborn and want to shoot on film because that's what I did way back when.

With a budget of about $500, I'm currently eyeing a Leica IIIf with a Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. Also considering a Canon P with a 50mm f/1.4 lens.

Which of those two should I go for?

Alternatively, convince me that going with a film camera is dumb given where I'm starting.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a film thread too: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2864270

Film is fun! If that's what you like do it. Digital is nice for the instant feedback and, you know, being able to take as many pictures as you want for free, but that's not everyone's thing. I would probably get a cheaper SLR like a Pentax KX or Olympus OM or whatever myself though.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

To me, film only makes sense for medium format or larger.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Can you expand on why you say that?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

bobmarleysghost posted:

Can you expand on why you say that?

It's an opinion, I have only shot ~60 rolls of 120 film, over the course of one year, I have never shot FF film, and so perhaps my opinion is bad, and perhaps/likely others have other goals, but ...
(1) I was interested in potentially doing prints, so a larger negative helps
(2) I find that 8-10 frames per roll slows me down enough to put in more effort to make each exposure count

Edit: If there were a certain desirable film stock (Aerochrome, for example) that was only available in 35 mm, I would probably try it out.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 4, 2021

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
Is KEH any good?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They're the less racist version of B&H so that's good, but I've only bought small stuff from
them because when I'm getting expensive gear they never have what I want in stock. So that's bad.

Edit - ignore me I'm dumb. I got KEH and Adorama crossed up in my brain.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 4, 2021

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Guacamayo posted:

Is KEH any good?

They used to be pretty much the gold standard of good deals on used kit, but some private equity company bought them out back in 2013, and it drove off a lot of their more experienced people. Their testing/inspection and grading are not as thorough or conservative as they once were, but they're not nearly as bad as they got at the bottom. I've done a little buying/selling recently with them and I wouldn't be any more hesitant about them than any of the other big traders; give your stuff a careful inspection and trial run when you get it and don't be shy about calling them back if you find anything; they'll take care of you on the customer-service end.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I have bought from KEH, and while they have never knocked anything out of the park, I have never been disappointed by what they delivered, including one bargain lens.

xzzy posted:

They're the less racist version of B&H so that's good, but I've only bought small stuff from
them because when I'm getting expensive gear they never have what I want in stock. So that's bad.

Edit - ignore me I'm dumb. I got KEH and Adorama crossed up in my brain.

Can you elaborate?

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 4, 2021

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I like KEH. I bought a bunch of lenses that turned out well

But I also just bought a $1000 set of RRS legs that arrived with 2/3 leg locking mechanisms broken.

So inspect your stuff well and you’ll be fine. They’re good at taking care of you

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
When I sold stuff to keh I had to call and complain about them not checking in accessories I sent, but the customer service guy immediately gave whatever percent extra he was allowed to give to avoid having to reinventory the stuff. This was more than what was missing so that was nice.

The offers from mpb have always been better so I haven't used keh too much.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

theHUNGERian posted:

Can you elaborate?

B&H has a history of allegations of racism and sexism allegations. I don't think they've lost any of the associated lawsuits, but they sure do attract and settle a lot of them.

e: To their credit, four or five years back I did comment on this in their 'customer satisfaction survey'. I got a personal response from Henry Posner about it, and he even invited me to set up an appointment to talk to him about my concerns. He seemed to take the idea seriously, at least, even if he denied the news reports.
e2: They are definitely anti-union though. He was convinced that the worst of the allegations were union propaganda to drive customers away.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 4, 2021

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Cassius Belli posted:

B&H has a history of allegations of racism and sexism allegations. I don't think they've lost any of the associated lawsuits, but they sure do attract and settle a lot of them.

e: To their credit, four or five years back I did comment on this in their 'customer satisfaction survey'. I got a personal response from Henry Posner about it, and he even invited me to set up an appointment to talk to him about my concerns. He seemed to take the idea seriously, at least, even if he denied the news reports.
e2: They are definitely anti-union though. He was convinced that the worst of the allegations were union propaganda to drive customers away.

:(

Now I feel bad for having bought a bunch of stuff there.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Cassius Belli posted:

Guess I'll just buy from Amazon then...

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

It's an opinion, I have only shot ~60 rolls of 120 film, over the course of one year, I have never shot FF film, and so perhaps my opinion is bad, and perhaps/likely others have other goals, but ...
(1) I was interested in potentially doing prints, so a larger negative helps
(2) I find that 8-10 frames per roll slows me down enough to put in more effort to make each exposure count

Edit: If there were a certain desirable film stock (Aerochrome, for example) that was only available in 35 mm, I would probably try it out.

Right i can understand that.
I think a lot of people expect modern digital level detail out of 35mm and are disappointed when they use it.
Just like with everything related to photography,, 35mm is a tool and it results in a specific look and does specific things that mf/LF can't, and should be used with that in mind.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Guess I'll just buy from Amazon then...

Right, there's not great options on that front; I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a union-friendly shop. I'm just saying the "All the accusations are union propaganda!" take stuck in my mind.
Adorama does get better Glassdoor ratings on employee treatment, though (for example).
And out here in Seattle most of the Glaser's employees have been around for many years, which suggests that they're doing OK on the satisfaction front.

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 5, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

bobmarleysghost posted:

Right i can understand that.
I think a lot of people expect modern digital level detail out of 35mm and are disappointed when they use it.
Just like with everything related to photography,, 35mm is a tool and it results in a specific look and does specific things that mf/LF can't, and should be used with that in mind.

35mm can produce a lot of detail, it’s just hard for hybrid workflows to extract that information. Scanning is an entirely separate optical flow that gets added on top of the actual “35mm film” step and a lot of information gets lost there, especially since most people are not using pro-quality scanning gear.

The workflow at the time would have been optical enlargers - even when color film came around there were no scanners, everything was done optically, and an enlarger is capable of producing an absolutely stunning 8x10 print out of 35mm with virtually no effort. In contrast to get equivalent quality out of a hybrid workflow you basically need a drum scan, it’s really at the limits of what you can do even with pro gear.

I’m not saying that you can’t make a good 8x10 with a v500, but it’s definitely not everything that’s on the negative and it’s significantly worse visually than an optical print. The equivalent visual quality on an optically-printed image would be probably something like 12x14 or 16x20, which is generally agreed to be possible but well into “not ideal” territory.

Going to MF or LF significantly reduces the optical burden on the scanning stage of the flow - it’s a lot larger so there’s less need to get every lp/mm of resolution off the film for the resolutions that are typically printed at. And depending on the gear - the resolution may not be there to go super high on resolution in the first place. Most consumer gear with triplet and tessar lenses doesn’t produce terrifically high resolution in the first place - but that’s the point, it doesn’t have to. Early cameras (like 116 format) were designed to be contact printed, and then your optical requirements are really low!

But if you are using really top-shelf gear, of course you can produce resolutions comparable to 35mm (Mamiya 7 are equal/better resolution to the best 35mm, and good cameras like Rolleiflex, P67,, Hasselblad, etc are at least comparable to good 35mm lenses). So if your MF./LF setup is good then of course you can print much larger. Even in the still most likely are leaving at least some money on the table by doing v500/v700 scans of MF/LF.

The thing is though, with 35mm you have to ask whether it’s worth the trouble anymore. It’s a pain to get color film developed anymore, it’s a pain to scan, and the quality is only so-so with reasonable consumer gear. B+W is still cool and much easier to develop, but all in all is it really worth it anymore for only so-so results from digital workflows? MF is really where the threshold of effort becomes worth it nowadays, and that’s where consumer scanners can do a decent job, and etc etc.

If you’re wet printing B+W 35mm though then maybe it’s worth it but then of course you have to have a darkroom, or at least someplace you can put an enlarger and then do rotary development.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 5, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Even half frame looks good at 8x10 with a traditional printing process

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Is there a task rabbit of people with darkrooms for people that don’t have darkrooms?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Community darkrooms may still be a thing where you live, they're 2 in my city, and join a local photography club. I run beginners classes in my darkroom though my local club and yours may do similar.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Yeah, I also just discovered a community darkroom in our area, but since I do semiconductor processing (including photo lithography) at work, doing my own film developing would remind me too much of work, so I never ventured into that part of the hobby. But I do my own scans (on a refurbished V850), and I am happy with the results.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I could never go back to the darkroom because I always got super anxious I was gonna gently caress the process up. I hate destructive workflows.

Did it for a year and a half too, just never had fun at it.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
Are there generally sales on Sony cameras during Spring? I want to buy a Sony A7Riii ($800 off!) but I want to save some more money first.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Everything is always on sale if you buy second hand.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I'm looking at a dummy battery for my Lumix G9, so that I can use the HDMI out indefinitely. Is there any reason to not just grab the cheapest thing that works on Amazon, or should I avoid unknown Chinese brands?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Dial M for MURDER posted:

I'm looking at a dummy battery for my Lumix G9, so that I can use the HDMI out indefinitely. Is there any reason to not just grab the cheapest thing that works on Amazon, or should I avoid unknown Chinese brands?

I bought a cheap random one for my Sony A6000 and it's worked great.

Guacamayo
Feb 2, 2012
Just bought an a7Riii :)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I need a tripod for a gift, that fits a Canon R6.

The only thing I have to go on is that I need something portable, like something you could take on a flight or haul around for a few hours on walks. Doesn't necessarily need video (three-way) capability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

I need a tripod for a gift, that fits a Canon R6.

The only thing I have to go on is that I need something portable, like something you could take on a flight or haul around for a few hours on walks. Doesn't necessarily need video (three-way) capability.

I have the Befree Advanced Aluminum (3.4 lb), and can go on multi-hour-long walks with it. Beware though as it's the only tripod I've ever owned, so perhaps I have no idea what I am missing out on.