Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Zachack posted:

I'd assume 360 load times are like putting a ssd in a xbone or ps4

It’s not like this at all in my experience. The 360 games on Series are still loading off a very fast SSD that’s properly integrated into the system and not limited by a SATA2 bus like putting an SSD in a PS4.
Oblivion loads and fast travels in about two seconds on Series X. Mirrors Edge in one or two seconds. On PS4 you’d get marginal improvements in load times in the best case scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

There are probably 360 games that are limited in ways other than the drive speed and the bc mode doesn't give them enough cpu or whatever to power through. Though GTA IV can now push to 60fps so maybe there's just that hard-coded jank?

Unrelated: Payday 2, even on a base Xbox One, just shoots through most of the loading if you have an external ssd.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Also I wish the Dead Rising games could get through their load screens a little faster, even if they aren't too bad now.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ninja Gaiden Black still takes a bit of time to load up a level, some BC games are weird

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
There will be a limitation with some older 360 games that bottlenecks the performance, in that the early games were designed to copy data off the DVD drive. Any game that did this prior to understanding a game could be installed to the hard-drive will have to do a redundant copy of data to the Xbox's temporary storage, which will bottleneck performance even on the Series.

At least in theory. It might be possible they moved that operation to a RAM disk with all the extra unallocated RAM.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Last time I played Xbox was not long after the Master Chief collection first came out and everyone was moaning that it sucked, so I didn't gently caress with it for more than a few minutes, but this poo poo is pretty dope now at least. Was loving around with OG Halo as well as Reach today and they both were fun as hell. Pretty sure it was running at 120 4k on my TV it actually looked super nice.Kind of wish I had a couple of months to bust through the whole series again before Infinite (sans halo 5 which as far as I can tell is loving garbage) but alas. Just gonna play Infinite in 3 days and hope it doesn't suck.

Halo 1 is still surprisingly really good though.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Halo 5 is fine. The biggest flaw with it is the story, which is a complete mess.

I still like it more than 4.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

In Halo you find a gigantic super-weapon designed to de-lifeify a chunk of the galaxy, and then you blow it up. Also for some reason the monsters that were supposed to starve when there was no life left are living on it.

In Halo 3 you blow up the rest of the super-weapons and the leader of said monsters.

I guess there is some other stuff in there.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’m looking forward to the gameplay of Infinite, but I really wish the designers would branch out the aesthetic of Halo. It’s science fiction, the universe is your oyster.

Maybe the appeal for a lot of people is how it looks. Like how Mario games usually recycle the same handful of worlds. To me it seems like the same levels with better graphics and open world.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah agreed. they've done like 6 singeplayer fps halos and youre still fighting the same 3 races of bad guys

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

otter posted:

I just wanted to throw out that I’ve been working like 50+ hours/wk recently and all I’ve really played much of is Animal Crossing on my switch just to wind down before bed but…
I tried paychonauts 2 with the cloud play. That was rad. The ability to just pop into it and play without having to download it really made my day. It was just -bam- and I spent my 45 minutes playing and enjoying the game instead of dealing with any bullshit.

Then last night my 6 year old wanted help on fortnite to catch fish and his mind was blown seeing the detail of Carnage on the 55” 4k vs his little switch lite.
Xbox is doing all the winning.

i often like to flex on my stupid kids for wanting girly kiddie consoles, just the other day my son asked me to play some playstation, and I followed him around the house shouting "GAYSTATION" over and over again until he told me he wanted to go back to his mom's. There are people who actually find joint custody hard, and that's loving funny.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shut up

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

i often like to flex on my stupid kids for wanting girly kiddie consoles, just the other day my son asked me to play some playstation, and I followed him around the house shouting "GAYSTATION" over and over again until he told me he wanted to go back to his mom's. There are people who actually find joint custody hard, and that's loving funny.

yeah, not sure how you got that out of "xbox made playing games with the kids more enjoyable" but ok.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is there a way to turn off quick resume for a particular game? I'm gathering that warfare doesn't play well with it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Last time I played Xbox was not long after the Master Chief collection first came out and everyone was moaning that it sucked, so I didn't gently caress with it for more than a few minutes, but this poo poo is pretty dope now at least. Was loving around with OG Halo as well as Reach today and they both were fun as hell. Pretty sure it was running at 120 4k on my TV it actually looked super nice.Kind of wish I had a couple of months to bust through the whole series again before Infinite (sans halo 5 which as far as I can tell is loving garbage) but alas. Just gonna play Infinite in 3 days and hope it doesn't suck.

Halo 1 is still surprisingly really good though.

The first half of halo 1 is very good. The end of the game is one of the most awful slogs ive played

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is there a way to turn off quick resume for a particular game? I'm gathering that warfare doesn't play well with it.

Just quit the game when done

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They really need to figure out how to let games with an online component use quick resume better. There isnt a single game, first party or otherwise, that can be suspended and returned to after the timeout D/C and connect to online services again.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Laserface posted:

They really need to figure out how to let games with an online component use quick resume better. There isnt a single game, first party or otherwise, that can be suspended and returned to after the timeout D/C and connect to online services again.

That seems like a really hard challenge for network engineers to solve in a way that is as elegant as Quick Resume. I'd like to see games more gracefully handle connection drops and reconnects, though, absolutely.

A toggle for Quick Resume is the most obvious quick fix. I just close out of online games like Halo Infinite or Elder Scrolls Online.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Zerot posted:

That seems like a really hard challenge for network engineers to solve in a way that is as elegant as Quick Resume.

Yeah suddenly there's a new state in your client state machine model called suspended, and it has transition arrows to and from every single other state. Screw that, I'd punt and treat it like a network error too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Archvale isn't a roguelike and is quite fun.

Needs a way to let me delete or sell items a lot more easily.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

acksplode posted:

Yeah suddenly there's a new state in your client state machine model called suspended, and it has transition arrows to and from every single other state. Screw that, I'd punt and treat it like a network error too.

Zerot posted:

That seems like a really hard challenge for network engineers to solve in a way that is as elegant as Quick Resume. I'd like to see games more gracefully handle connection drops and reconnects, though, absolutely.

A toggle for Quick Resume is the most obvious quick fix. I just close out of online games like Halo Infinite or Elder Scrolls Online.

I get what you guys are saying but the games clearly time out and drop the connection while suspended. what is the actual difficulty in reconnecting? you arent resuming a session, its dropped and been dead for hours. start a new one.

starting the game from a hard-quit connects fine. establishing a new connection while the game is running should be no different.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
It depends on the game. I keep MLB the Show in quick resume because it reconnects in under 10 seconds and if I were to load up from start the splash screens etc take about 2 mins. I would agree though the best thing to do soon would be to have a quick resume checklist you could create for yourself.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have the Dark Souls games set to be offline and Quick Resume still messes up. My plan of having a seamless multi game boss rush, shattered.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Halo quick resume works fine for me. It says disconnected or offline or whatever, and then I just click on multiplayer and it connects fine.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

AC Odyssey starts up instantly and reconnects in the background. Once you see orichalcum ore in your inventory again, you're golden

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Somebody in Spain got a hold of Halo Infinite on disc early, but the disc only contains 15 gigs of data and requires a patch that isn’t live yet in order to be playable. That’s one way to combat early copies getting out.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Laserface posted:

I get what you guys are saying but the games clearly time out and drop the connection while suspended. what is the actual difficulty in reconnecting? you arent resuming a session, its dropped and been dead for hours. start a new one.

If I said it's hard, but in a nebulous way like "engines were not designed to do this do all of them certainly could but few of them just would" would that be sufficient?

It's fine to wonder why this title specifically has a little snag with it, but it's very typical in general because it's asking game engines to adapt to a system virtually no game developer has access to. It's OS level handling of an executable.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I appreciate the controllers switching off rumble shortly before the low battery warning. It's like having a mild psychic power.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Halo Infinite campaign review embargo seems to be lifted, reviews are popping up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9e4pNb2GtE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yO1s5uT8XE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vhmts3gQoY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w8MIolHveQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiMBOtyoxD0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojNFvNcMPsE

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Sounds like the story is poor, the open world isn't very diverse, but at least it's fun to play?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

Sounds like the story is poor, the open world isn't very diverse, but at least it's fun to play?

The reviews seem pretty consistent with its development cycle and shift in leadership

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

No change in biomes (what we’ve seen of the outdoors is basically the entire game), cut and paste forerunner interior sections which are only part of missions, no real need for exploring since everything is marked on the map and there’s not much else beyond that to discover.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, it sounds like a game that didn't have its vision settled until way too late into the dev cycle, but the vision itself is good so a sequel should be lovely

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ZeeBoi posted:

No change in biomes (what we’ve seen of the outdoors is basically the entire game)

Oh no no no

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

ZeeBoi posted:

No change in biomes (what we’ve seen of the outdoors is basically the entire game), cut and paste forerunner interior sections which are only part of missions, no real need for exploring since everything is marked on the map and there’s not much else beyond that to discover.

Disappointing. But they have said some time ago that the intention is to keep adding to the campaign after it's released, so let's see what happens.

edit: but it's ok because it still looks very fun to play! I can't wait to play it myself!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ZeeBoi posted:

Sounds like the story is poor

themes of fatherhood mixing it up from those classic halo themes of motherhood lmao

def what my friends were discussing while playing silent cartographer for the 47th time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would consider paying 5 dollars just for Silent Cartographer in the infinite engine

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

another GamePass winning situation

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1467775240914808838

must be awful!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's no Bioshock Infinite.