Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

helno posted:

Ari quietly overhauled it and posted the video today.

I was surprised how many screws he had to drill out. I guess I thought Japanese engineering magic would protect it. :shobon:

Bet he loved cutting off the spark plug cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't know why he was splicing the goddamn coil wire, a new one is like $30. And there are many many parts that didn't even get clean, at least on camera. I would have definitely spend an extra day cleaning, polishing and removing rust. Maybe even painting some bits and pieces. Oh, and at that rear tire does not look like it has adequate pressure rolling down the street. Supposed to be a feel-good video is giving me anxiety. Poop

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Part of the appeal of the Indians to me is how good those liquid cooled v blocks look.

Yeah, they put so much thought into details like that, and it should be a valuable object lesson to all other manufacturers that "put the poo poo that looks like that old Windows screensaver on the left so it doesn't show up in publicity shots" is not, in fact, how design should work.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Polaris followed Harley-Davidson design philosophy step by step, because HD got it down to a science. Even shot themselves in the foot with a fixed fairing design, just like Harley. Challenger is fantastic to ride, but awful to look at in my opinion

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Nitrox posted:

Polaris followed Harley-Davidson design philosophy step by step, because HD got it down to a science. Even shot themselves in the foot with a fixed fairing design, just like Harley. Challenger is fantastic to ride, but awful to look at in my opinion

that fairing looks like someone cut a hole in a Rubbermaid storage bin and bolted it up

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I need to replace the rim tape on my bicycle wheel because it's misaligned with the valve hole and keeps cutting the stem. So I rode one of those ride share scooters to work today instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4LMFZ1HU9w

These have always been terrible but this was by far the worst. I want to ride a properly maintained scooter some day.

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 2, 2021

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

that's quite the head shake for 26 mph

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

I need to replace the rim tape on my bicycle wheel because it's misaligned with the valve hole and keeps cutting the stem. So I rode one of those ride share scooters to work today instead.

These have always been terrible but this was by far the worst. I want to ride a properly maintained scooter some day.

Are you keeping your tires inflated properly high? And check if there's a metal burr on the inside of the valve stem hole (might need to file it with a round file). Those two are the most common causes of the tube failing at the base. The rim tape is usually not sharp enough by itself, but maybe if it's a lovely plastic one that's all dried out then could be.

Also electric scooters you can rent are pretty scary in my experience. I'm surprised not more people are injured on them all the time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

:lol: bent fork but also every scooter I've ever owned

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

Are you keeping your tires inflated properly high? And check if there's a metal burr on the inside of the valve stem hole (might need to file it with a round file). Those two are the most common causes of the tube failing at the base. The rim tape is usually not sharp enough by itself, but maybe if it's a lovely plastic one that's all dried out then could be.

Also electric scooters you can rent are pretty scary in my experience. I'm surprised not more people are injured on them all the time.

Yeah, I pump up like very other day, keep them around 100psi. I never let it drop below 80 because it rides like rear end if I do. I think it's the metal of the wheel, actually, not the tape itself. It's a presta valve and I have the little retaining nut on there as well.

That tube is old but new-out-of-the-box and lasted only 2 miles. It's hard to get a good picture but there's clearly a cut where the wheel is digging into the stem, I assume under braking. I had a shop true my wheels a couple months ago. I'm gonna take it over to them once I get a chance and see if they can just fix it really quickly, or give me some to do it myself.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I had some issues with tubes leaking near the valve stem on my bicycle and I fixed it by getting tubes with shorter presta valves. My guess is the longer stem made it too easy to put stress around the base.

Possibly a dumb idea, but you could try taking a patch from one of those tube repair kits and preemptively apply it around the stem, which would act as reinforcement and as a spacer away from the hole.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Go ahead and throw that retaining nut in the trash, if you're cranking that on super tight, it can be pulling the stem down into the hole and contributing to ripping it.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Never use that retaining nut, it causes more harm than good.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Better idea: never use presta valves.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Finger Prince posted:

Better idea: never use presta valves.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I was excited to see the Cycle Pics thread moving, hoping a couple folks got some cool new bikes, but no, it's pedal bike chat

smdh

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Hey I started out with scooter content. :shobon:

My friend bought an R1M. What happens next??

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Got a new luggage bag! Didn't really want saddle bags, so I think I like it as a compromise.

Pic was snapped just before a final wash as it goes away for the winter. It's started snowing here and I'm too new to push it any further into the season.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is that a Viking bag that goes over the seat?

Mouzer
May 9, 2006
Feed the fish!

Nitrox posted:

Is that a Viking bag that goes over the seat?

It's a Saddlemen, but ya, it sits on the pillion seat and straps down

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mouzer posted:

I like that style of bag as a nice compromise of usability, security[1] and capacity, but also because they look a bit like space invaders when they're off the bike.

[1] As in staying on the bike, not as in theft-proofness.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Mouzer posted:

is there a general name for this type of bag? that's really cool.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

busalover posted:

is there a general name for this type of bag? that's really cool.

Generically they're throw-overs or saddle bags, but that also includes ones without the central part.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We've got a new Niu in the shop right now which didn't do that for me as far as I remember when test riding. Different model though. But I have to say, a lot of scooters are prone to that, they're not designed with the expectation that you're riding with your hands off the bars. I was riding a Vespa GT250 the other day which did exactly that with hands off bars. Went away as soon as I grabbed the bars very lightly.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

yeah I imagine scooters just have very little weight on the front, so even minor damage will result in that sort of thing. I swear someone recently said their Vespa will shake above a certain speed unless they have something in the front luggage rack but I can't find it.

Those Revel scooters are pretty bad, though. I'm sure if you bought one from Niu it may be fine, but they (understandably) have them set up to be anemic. I wish if you have a motorcycle license they would let you ride one in a "normal" mode.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Got pizza the other night.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pizza, you say?

https://i.imgur.com/TGektzr.mp4

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Just caught this 1916 wheelie from a WW1 feature on Youtube

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

I felt this way more than once riding my first 50cc scooter around Portland a few years ago.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

busalover posted:

Just caught this 1916 wheelie from a WW1 feature on Youtube

Who said trikes were uncool?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not gonna lie, even seeing that, if I lived in an area that was always warm I’d be a motorcycle courier as a side gig

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

A transparent 2 stroke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebw0DNesA-o

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Took me until now to realize that is hail and not rain

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

This was pretty cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD-f45TbvEw

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/611758000168874/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've had my missus type out this post because I've been permanently blinded by that link, gently caress you buddy

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Is that one of those neural nets generating images out of random noise?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I would like to launch a contest with counting the tiger faces( face defined as at least both eyes + nose).

But I really don't want to dwell on this long enough to verify.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

I don’t think I could make something this tacky if I tried. And that’s not me saying I’m not capable of making something really tacky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Actually, this owns bones.