Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Combat Systems Officer is in charge of all combat operations, combat related training, organization, and planning. WEPS is specifically in charge of the weapons systems for maintenance purposes. WEPS is (normally) a "sub"-department head under CSO on CRUDES platforms even though it's a Dept Head position.

In addition, CSO is usually a Nerd and WEPS is usually a Cool Guy. I like to think of them as the DH equivalents of an FCA and a GM.

Grats TVS, but also condolences. Being a CHENG changes people. Remember that your sailors aren't machines, for better and for worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think my enlistment bonus was about 8k in 2002. What are the SRBs looking like? I think ETs could get close to 80k when I was in and EMs could get like 45? I think I got 40ish or so. It is amazing that I don't remember the exact details of this anymore. I guess time heals all!

Ninja Edit: I still remember a lot about the Navy and talk about it pretty frequently, about 50% of my coworkers are also Navy Nukes. I imagine nuclear power plants are even worse. Some of these kids are telling me they enlisted and already did their 6 after I was already out of the Navy (about a decade ago) and it makes me feel *very* old.

SRBs were already 100k for ETs when I joined in 2011. Until the limit gets raised they're going to have a very hard time retaining people as well. I turned it down because it wasn't worth another year on my sub.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Most of the time the weapons officer will fleet up and become the CSO after a year and a half.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

In addition, CSO is usually a Nerd and WEPS is usually a Cool Guy. I like to think of them as the DH equivalents of an FCA and a GM.

On a carrier, WEPS also has the AO's, but yeah.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

MonkeyFit posted:

SRBs were already 100k for ETs when I joined in 2011. Until the limit gets raised they're going to have a very hard time retaining people as well. I turned it down because it wasn't worth another year on my sub.

gently caress a reenlistment bonus that poo poo is for morons

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

All this nuke talk as made me remember my nuke story. I'll start this story off by saying I am 100% glad I didn't end up going the nuke route because of how everything else worked out.

I signed up for the navy in the winter of 96 for an August of 97 entry date. I was a pretty big fuckup in H.S. and I just wanted to GTFO of the area I was living in. I had no idea what I really wanted to do but I somehow read that being a Nuke in the navy was like the best of the best and so I was like well why not?

I went to the recruiter and told them I wanted to be a nuke and they said "Well you can't just go in as a nuke you need to score high enough on the ASVAB and pass a second test administered by a nuke officer." I was like yeah ok whatever lets do this. Where I hosed up (initially) was that they told me I needed to pick a rate before I go any further in the process and being a dumb 17 year old I was like yeah ok and they put me in as an AT.

About 2 weeks after I had signed up at MEPS the nuke officer comes to the recruiting office and gives me this math test. I pass it and the dude shakes my hand and says " welcome to the nuke program". I'm like awesome great all done with that poo poo.

I continue to gently caress up in H.S. because who gives a poo poo at this point as long as I graduate none of this poo poo matters. Right??

Well obviously not lol

I get my transcripts and I take them with me on my departure date. The recruiter dude looks and them and was like "Ooh man you got a D in trig?? Man sorry but you needed to get a C to be a nuke. You'll have to go in as an AT now."

My dad who was with me was like gently caress that gently caress these guys lets go talk to the airforce. I was like eh I don't really want to wait and change things around I'll just go in as an AT. I honestly have no idea if they were lying to me or if I actually did need to get a C because they never said anything to me about my grades once I passed the test. If I would have known I obviously would have gotten at least a C but I was in full gently caress it mode after passing everything.

In the end I'm glad I went AT because my school was the nuke washout school and we had two nukes in our class (along with two marines) and we had a fuckin lot of fun and nuke school sounded like bullshit.

That's my nuke story.

Knowing what I know now about recruiters I'm betting they were lying to me about the grades thing but I'm not sure why they did because an enlistment is an enlistment. :shrug:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well sending kids who are most likely gonna fail out for poor study habits may have been the contributing factor. Sounds like he actually did you a solid.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Well sending kids who are most likely gonna fail out for poor study habits may have been the contributing factor. Sounds like he actually did you a solid.

Yeah that actually makes more sense. They did never tell me that though lol

He 100% did me a solid because being on the Air side was great. I also didn't have to do 6 years.

The two nukes we had in our class were pretty fuckin weird too.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
They put a huge emphasis on math class grades. I worked civilian jobs for 5 years after high school before joining and they made me take the math test despite getting a 99 on the ASVAB because I had failed AP Calc in high school 5 years earlier.

As far as the 100k SRB, my understanding is that's a hard cap on any and all reenlistment bonuses set by Congress. And can't change until Congress gives approval. But if anyone actually knows, please correct me. But that now has me wondering what the cap on initial bonuses is.

Anyways, gently caress 'em.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MonkeyFit posted:

As far as the 100k SRB, my understanding is that's a hard cap on any and all reenlistment bonuses set by Congress. And can't change until Congress gives approval. But if anyone actually knows, please correct me. But that now has me wondering what the cap on initial bonuses is.

For SRBs you're correct, and in a career a person can do that twice. DISCLAIMER: GET YOUR poo poo IN WRITING. If it's not no-poo poo written in your paperwork you will not get paid. Also, I don't know what service is paying how much to what jobs, but this is the legal maximum, so actually read that paperwork before signing.

For initial enlistments, I think the cap is 40k. Again, in writing/read it, do your research to see if the job you're looking at actually qualifies, etc.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

There’s so much fuckery I’ve heard with the Navy demanding SRBs back for all sorts of reasons plus the fact that if you average it out over years it isn’t actually very much money given what you have to give up to get it.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Godholio posted:

For initial enlistments, I think the cap is 40k. Again, in writing/read it, do your research to see if the job you're looking at actually qualifies, etc.

Looks like up to $50k now as of Nov 2020.

https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/dodi/130431p.PDF

Section 4.1.e

But that's cumulative of all bonuses. So if you try to get college loans paid for, that adds into it.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Congratu-fuckin-lations. Have you considering writing up your experiences for the next McMullen Symposium at Annapolis? You should, the audience needs an infusion of people who've had first hand experiences when things go wrong.

On my last ship our chief engineer was a guy who was very demanding and kind of hard to work for but also very good at keeping things in good shape. Unfortunately, he had never actually seen anything go badly wrong in his (incredibly charmed) career and was becoming decreasingly thorough (and unwilling to apply any manpower) in the name of cost cutting and so people were being put, alone, into increasingly sketchy situations. He absolutely wouldn't take any criticism or input, ever, if it involved spending a buck. His ship is reaching an age where his career will probably get a lot less charmed when a fuel tank cracks, unnoticed, or something similarly inevitable.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Wang Commander posted:

On my last ship our chief engineer was a guy who was very demanding and kind of hard to work for but also very good at keeping things in good shape. Unfortunately, he had never actually seen anything go badly wrong in his (incredibly charmed) career and was becoming decreasingly thorough (and unwilling to apply any manpower) in the name of cost cutting and so people were being put, alone, into increasingly sketchy situations. He absolutely wouldn't take any criticism or input, ever, if it involved spending a buck. His ship is reaching an age where his career will probably get a lot less charmed when a fuel tank cracks, unnoticed, or something similarly inevitable.

This is also on his shoreside support and command that need to make it abundantly clear on the difference between prudent and imprudent cost cutting but I don't know the USN. I will leave if anyone starts trying to nickel and dime maintenance, that's how you get an El Faro. The contracts are nice to have since they are an extra layer of support for spending money on people.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

lightpole posted:

This is also on his shoreside support and command that need to make it abundantly clear on the difference between prudent and imprudent cost cutting but I don't know the USN. I will leave if anyone starts trying to nickel and dime maintenance, that's how you get an El Faro. The contracts are nice to have since they are an extra layer of support for spending money on people.

Nah this is civilian I'm the usual guy who's changed accounts like 30x back again. Yeah I'm just not going back there. Maintenance was good but he wouldn't spend a cent on OT to have a second guy around for various evolutions where you'd need to be running around adjusting the plant and also taking phone calls from the bridge etc. Maintenance can only get you so far and eventually something's gonna poo poo the bed with some poor third alone in the plant at 3am or the chief changing fuels alone etc.

At the end of the trip he was so far under overtime budget he was panicking trying to get the budget up and it's like bro you're first is making half of what his peers make there's your budget.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

My last CHENG would stand around in CCS picking his nose and eating his boogers. Everyone noticed. Gross. That was my first and last ship assignment in a 24-year career, blessed be.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Congratu-fuckin-lations. Have you considering writing up your experiences for the next McMullen Symposium at Annapolis? You should, the audience needs an infusion of people who've had first hand experiences when things go wrong.

While I haven't written up my experiences, while I was at SWOS I did do a presentation on the Fitz. MML got to hear it back in 2020!

To be honest, I've only heard of three people that have spoken or done presentations on what happened. My DCCS, Capty Duffy (who was the deputy commodore and came onboard), and I. I've heard from others that have listened to Capt. Duffy that my account is, to put it mildly, different than his. The presentation I gave I think is fairly similar to my DCCS'. I believe both of us focused more on the DC aspects of it.

Other than personal accounts that sailors have posted on Facebook, I don't think the crew has written much about what happened to them. Nothing official at least. The ProPublica article that came out in 2019 is still probably the most the crew has spoken to anyone about the collision.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Wang Commander posted:

Nah this is civilian I'm the usual guy who's changed accounts like 30x back again. Yeah I'm just not going back there. Maintenance was good but he wouldn't spend a cent on OT to have a second guy around for various evolutions where you'd need to be running around adjusting the plant and also taking phone calls from the bridge etc. Maintenance can only get you so far and eventually something's gonna poo poo the bed with some poor third alone in the plant at 3am or the chief changing fuels alone etc.

At the end of the trip he was so far under overtime budget he was panicking trying to get the budget up and it's like bro you're first is making half of what his peers make there's your budget.

Yeah I make it clear to my chiefs idgaf anymore, I'm not sweating through the night worrying about whats going to go wrong. It helps to build up a relationship with the port engineers since its their ship and they almost never have an issue with spending money on poo poo like that. A small slip will bring ABS or the USCG on board, delay sailing, and bring a lot of unwanted attention.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

lightpole posted:

Yeah I make it clear to my chiefs idgaf anymore, I'm not sweating through the night worrying about whats going to go wrong. It helps to build up a relationship with the port engineers since its their ship and they almost never have an issue with spending money on poo poo like that. A small slip will bring ABS or the USCG on board, delay sailing, and bring a lot of unwanted attention.

Yeah it's not worth it to black out near shore because someone's phone broke (almost happened)

evoblade
Jan 26, 2012

MancXVI posted:

I have been out for almost three years and I still have dumb dreams about being out to sea that usually involve filling out paperwork.

They never go away completely. They just get a lot more infrequent.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Facebook was kind enough to remind me that its been 10 years since I watched the ship float away without me on it while smoking a cigar next to the Mukilteo Ferry. It was a good day.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
In the event anyone advanced, congrats. To all civvies, double congrats

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

The best bonus the navy ever offered is an all-expenses paid STEM degree once you gtfo after 4 and never look back

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Gray Matter posted:

The best bonus the navy ever offered is an all-expenses paid STEM degree once you gtfo after 4 and never look back

I got a degree in humanities with a focus in gender studies without having to worry about it being a fiscally sound decision. Much more enjoyable than STEM in my opinion.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
my former shipmate got volunordered to go to Hawaii to help with the fuel contamination clean up. good work navy, the locals were screaming for years this would happen but gently caress them, right?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

my former shipmate got volunordered to go to Hawaii to help with the fuel contamination clean up. good work navy, the locals were screaming for years this would happen but gently caress them, right?

It's been since at least my first Hawaii tour in 2008. Lol?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC/status/1469467193431801862?t=a8l3q8K-LHz5kivf4mwDOg&s=19

Hope he gets kicked out before 20

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
all of those other vaccines are ok but THIS ONE is no good!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Meh his religion, his choice. :shrug: I thought they put a pause on the admin stuff for those who refused it?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Oh cool. Yeah, senior leadership got a very clear line in the sand to get vaccinated, no exceptions, or get relieved. We're still waiting on hopefully one final NAVADMIN to lay out the exact process for separating the rank-and-file refusers.

ded posted:

all of those other vaccines are ok but THIS ONE is no good!

I imagine this is why 99.9% of exemption waivers are getting immediately denied. You've gotten 18 other vaccines but suddenly have a religious objection to this one? Jesus says

e: there's also a difference between getting kicked out and being relieved from your position. CDR antivax is still in the Navy, he's just going to be reassigned to push papers at DESRON HQ or whatever until the actual kicking-out goes through.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 11, 2021

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Anita Dickinme posted:

Meh his religion, his choice. :shrug: I thought they put a pause on the admin stuff for those who refused it?

lol yea, Im sure it's because of his religion. totally.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Wingnut Ninja posted:

e: there's also a difference between getting kicked out and being relieved from your position. CDR antivax is still in the Navy, he's just going to be reassigned to push papers at DESRON HQ or whatever until the actual kicking-out goes through.

Ah true, fair enough.

PneumonicBook posted:

lol yea, Im sure it's because of his religion. totally.

I mean I don’t know him so no reason to doubt it. I did have one coworker who was extremely religious the entire time I knew him before the vaccine came out and put in for his exemption when it was announced we had to be vaccinated or be fired. He ended up quitting regardless over it so those people are out there.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Anita Dickinme posted:

I mean I don’t know him so no reason to doubt it. I did have one coworker who was extremely religious the entire time I knew him before the vaccine came out and put in for his exemption when it was announced we had to be vaccinated or be fired. He ended up quitting regardless over it so those people are out there.

Yea they are, I know exactly one person who I would say legitimately qualifies for it, but I know dozens that absolutely do not and are just doing it because of politics.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Anita Dickinme posted:

Ah true, fair enough.

This is what separates 99% of the religious exemptions from the 1% of truthful ones. Almost all of these people are full of poo poo and grasping at straws. Was it in here that someone linked to a story where the USMC said it hadn't approved a religious vaccine exemption in a decade or something?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PneumonicBook posted:

Yea they are, I know exactly one person who I would say legitimately qualifies for it, but I know dozens that absolutely do not and are just doing it because of politics.

Oh yeah, I'm in no way blind people are attempting to exploit the system. I just wish it didn't gently caress over the people with those actual personal beliefs.

Godholio posted:

This is what separates 99% of the religious exemptions from the 1% of truthful ones. Almost all of these people are full of poo poo and grasping at straws. Was it in here that someone linked to a story where the USMC said it hadn't approved a religious vaccine exemption in a decade or something?

Truth, which is why when he said he can't receive the vaccine because of his religious beliefs I wasn't in shock because he was religious but because his beliefs didn't allow him to get any vaccines and I just wondered if he had his shots as a child or just lucky he didn't get polio. I chose not to ask because I don't ask people those type of questions.

As far as I know the Marines Corps doesn't even have no shave chits, correct?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Anita Dickinme posted:

I just wish it didn't gently caress over the people with those actual personal beliefs.

The military will gently caress over all kinds of personal beliefs if they are a hazard to the health and readiness of its forces. Some people have deeply held beliefs of "I don't need to shower" or "all gay people should be murdered". Some personal beliefs are not compatible with the mission and ethos of the military, and while that is absolutely their prerogative, I will happily encourage these people to find employment elsewhere.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The CO of my supported reserve unit (O6) is retiring this month because he refused to get vaccinated. And he’s a pilot for FedEx for his civilian job.

The big yikes was when he decided to open up our DWE last month with a speech about how the beauty of the military is how we leave our politics at the door, then proceeded to authorize “masks down” for the remainder of our morning briefs. That got a lot of stares from the staff.

On another note, congrats Middies! You beat your lovely 3-8 record to upset Army in the only game that matters for the year. :thumbsup:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

AlternateNu posted:

The big yikes was when he decided to open up our DWE last month with a speech about how the beauty of the military is how we leave our politics at the door, then proceeded to authorize “masks down” for the remainder of our morning briefs. That got a lot of stares from the staff.

Yep, seen this. I've worked around a lot of senior people this tour (not a humblebrag, a cry for help) and it's astounded me how far pegged to the right a lot of very senior leaders are. They don't view it as such, they genuinely believe they're leaving their partisanship at the door. It goes without saying Fox News is the default option in most spaces.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Pretty much every CSMC I walk into has Fox news going 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Pretty much every CSMC I walk into has Fox news going 24/7.

Red Crown posted:

Yep, seen this. I've worked around a lot of senior people this tour (not a humblebrag, a cry for help) and it's astounded me how far pegged to the right a lot of very senior leaders are. They don't view it as such, they genuinely believe they're leaving their partisanship at the door. It goes without saying Fox News is the default option in most spaces.

File an IG complaint.

I haven't seen a TV in a public space set to anything other than ESPN since like 2010.