Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
So, anyway, do you guys ever think about moving to China? Genuine question, as I keep thinking from time to time about moving somewhere myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Paladinus posted:

So, anyway, do you guys ever think about moving to China? Genuine question, as I keep thinking from time to time about moving somewhere myself.

I would at least like to see it, but with never-ending COVID, it is going to be a while. I do know plenty of people who have worked there and the feedback seems really dependent on nationality.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

This take is specially crafted to piss off the Ukraine boosters who brag about the capability of the Ukrainian military while scaremongering about Russia aiming to take Kyiv.

I respect the craft.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I only ever visited as a kid so I'd love to go back as an adult but my Mandarin is so bad and it's not like I have any friends or family there so actually moving would require a pretty wild 'you get this job you massively want but you gotta move to China' situation to be anywhere near feasible.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/poppy_haze/status/1467372905000579074

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The Chinese liberalization reforms were necessary to industrialize the country and prevent foreign interference CHANGE MY MIND.

Capitalists can only sell you the rope to hang them if you're in the same market, as it turns out. That being said, Vietnam handled liberalization better than China.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Paladinus posted:

my plan is to flee to their dc embassy and beg for a helicopter out when omicron collapses the country

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ardennes posted:

I would at least like to see it, but with never-ending COVID, it is going to be a while. I do know plenty of people who have worked there and the feedback seems really dependent on nationality.

I know a guy who moved there, I probably already mentioned in this thread, and he's very happy, but he's a bit on the crazy libertarian side, plus he works for a foreign company, so I don't think his experience is very indicative of what to expect there. But I can tell you that visiting China as a tourist is objectively fantastic, like most places, really.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im trying to go to china right now but despite having my paperwork no ones processing visas now which sucks

i keep wondering whether i should have asked to receive it in korea when i was still there instead but in addition to my never being able to get mail in south korea its never been clear whether the student visa allowance is for south korean citizens or people who actually live in south korea

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think about going TEFL or getting a teaching certificate locally (easy in my state) and moving to like Chongqing or something but idk if I want to do that longterm, plus you look like a sexpat if you do.

E: I lived right next to Zhongshan Park in Shanghai for a year and thanks to low cost of living + convenient rail system, I saw more of China than I have of America, lol.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

does Beijing have a hotel for exiled communists like Moscow did

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'd like to visit China, Vietnam, Cuba, etc some day. Don't know about moving there though.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Going to move back to India and become one of those hinduvata guys who post about how everything is a hindu invention.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Raskolnikov38 posted:

does Beijing have a hotel for exiled communists like Moscow did

Sihanouk lived out the rest of his life in exile in Beijing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
whats the coldest place year round in china i'd like to live there. i don't deal well with heat and humidity

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Jose posted:

whats the coldest place year round in china i'd like to live there. i don't deal well with heat and humidity

I assume you mean cool and arid and not literally arctic. Yinchuan or Lanzhou would be good candidate. Emirates runs flights from Yinchuan to Dubai and then on to the rest of the world so it was quite convenient back in the before times. Probably the best food in China. The areas north of the Tian mountains in Xinjiang are also quite nice, and cities like Karamay and Korla are actually fairly wealthy.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Grapplejack posted:

most people in the west don't know anything about Tiananmen other than the tankguy pic and 'china bad'

the amount of people who think the tank ran over the guy shocks me lol

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Paladinus posted:

from the sounds of things the exact kinda engineering i want to do is being done en mass in china, but if i was the chinese i would absolutely not allow the american commie from a military fam access to anything so iv kinda given hope on that :(

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lady Militant posted:

the amount of people who think the tank ran over the guy shocks me lol

That's because you'll never see the full video in english language media. It just dramatically cuts off in the middle of confrontation every time.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Lady Militant posted:

from the sounds of things the exact kinda engineering i want to do is being done en mass in china, but if i was the chinese i would absolutely not allow the american commie from a military fam access to anything so iv kinda given hope on that :(

welp yeah if china does any kind of background check youre prob a prime candidate to not pass

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

In China, civil engineers help design the cities of the future and the transportation systems that power them. In American, they make lovely podcasts.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

sexpig by night posted:

But yea it was a 'pro individual rights and economic freedom' type protest movement spearheaded by students that actually wound up in a pretty big minority with their agenda of 'we should be more like America, they seem cool' vs the much more popular and genuine movement of 'yea the economy sucks rear end right now for a lot of people, we want the party to take a more active hand in things to fix that'.

Guess which faction gets most western memory, despite the numbers?

there was also a significant number of protesters who wanted a return to Mao-era policies, and yet another segment who were mainly just very racist and upset about African students coming to study at Chinese universities. it was extremely heterogeneous

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Mont_Jiang/status/1467569880627126287

Lol he's still at it.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Yeah pretty much imperial Japan just wanted to be the Britian of the east.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

lol my family thinks im crazy for wanting to go to china and i doubt very much theyd shut up about it if i was actually living there

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/POLITICOEurope/status/1467535144395366404

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Nevertheless, he persisted.

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

Agrajag posted:

welp yeah if china does any kind of background check youre prob a prime candidate to not pass

from an internationalist perspective it makes no sense to let every american leftist into china because america sucks, it re-creates the exact same imperialist incentive that has been established with reactionaries and america that if you self destruct your country you can flee to america if you have enough money then lobby the american gov to come fix the problem YOU caused. ofc in this case the current situation isn't the american lefts fault....but it is their job to fix it regardless.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

CaptainACAB posted:

Yeah pretty much imperial Japan just wanted to be the Britian of the east.

a whole lot of japanese agitation over their imperialist history is that former british imperial vassals bend over backwards to lick the feet of any random british rear end in a top hat who pops up in their country and says racist things yet former japanese imperial vassals are still mad at japan despite the fact that their countries arent complete shitholes like the british ones are implying the japanese did a better job

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's because Britain picked the winning side and continued fighting colonial wars well into the later half of the 20th century, so all the former subjects who knew what was good for them weren't going to complain too much.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol unironically hanging that flag anywhere in your house means you are getting state department money 100% guaranteed

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

is this also based on the very reliable sources of trust me bro

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

my favorite part is when the all encompassing panopticon of the chinese surveillance state couldnt be bothered to notice that the guy had snitched to radio free asia

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's because Britain picked the winning side and continued fighting colonial wars well into the later half of the 20th century, so all the former subjects who knew what was good for them weren't going to complain too much.

And now look at us lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

lol my family thinks im crazy for wanting to go to china and i doubt very much theyd shut up about it if i was actually living there

That's what the Great Firewall is for.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://twitter.com/ShintoPlasm/status/1467423684315029506?s=20
Toothless and ineffective politicians? Thank god we don't have that here :911:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/EnesFreedom/status/1467525844000145414

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

god please let lin ether him