Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

drk posted:

Its by design, and its that stupid.

I just thought of something: was buying model trains online internationally such a cutthroat and scam-filled niche that a “trust-less monetary system” was needed? Is that why it’s still incapable of being trusted at all and scams all the way down; “sins of the father” type of ecological inheritance, or something?

Asking for my friend…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DerekSmartymans posted:

I just thought of something: was buying model trains online internationally such a cutthroat and scam-filled niche that a “trust-less monetary system” was needed? Is that why it’s still incapable of being trusted at all and scams all the way down; “sins of the father” type of ecological inheritance, or something?

Modeltrainstuff.com is giving back to the Community!

We want to support our users who have helped us along the years.

Send model trains to this address, and we will send double the amount in return!

Limited to the first 10,000 users!

Use the code or address below!!

ANY AMOUNT OF TRAINS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS WILL BE DOUBLED AND RETURNED TO THE SENDER!

243-A Cockeysville Rd.
Cockeysville, MD 21030 USA

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
More like buttcoin!

Also in bad news y'all my billions of internet fake money disappeared because I accidentally left my computer unlocked. It's all gone, and there's no security or way to get any of it back. But really, what is the price of freedom?

Apparently $3.5 billion internet funbucks.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Nessus posted:

We also had to use the first rickety-rear end beta version of the idea, not any of the ones that were improved to be 'still very wasteful but somewhat less mind-bogglingly so'.

Or at least my understanding is that other than Chia, all the other buttcoins are less absolutely demanding of hardware and power, even if anything over a small server rack or something is becoming absurd waste.

e: to be clear this is not a defense of other buttcoins, but rather a specific condemnation of the original, and of coiners

Other people have pointed out how this is false, but there is some slight validity re: hardware wastefulness. Bitcoin uses a standard hashing algorithm, SHA256. While this algorithm can be done on CPUs, it was trivially easy to design ASICs specifically do bitcoin mining by running SHA256 as fast as possible. It is only viable to mine bitcoin if you use custom ASICs: it is not remotely possible to mine bitcoin on your CPU or GPU. You must buy a special miner which can do literally nothing besides hash random numbers as fast as possible. There is no way they can be repurposed to do anything useful. There is now a massive industry based solely around building these utterly useless devices whose sole reason for existence is to do guess and check calculations on a massive scale for literally no reason.

In contrast, Ethereum and other coins use different hash functions which are specifically designed to be hard to design an ASIC for. I'm no expert, but my understanding is it has to do with memory use and bandwidth: ethash and scrypt both require that miners store a large dataset and randomly access parts of it. That means that the main bottleneck for mining isn't the calculation itself, but memory access, so there's relatively little gain to be had by designing a special ASIC since the chip would spend all its time sitting and waiting for data. The upshot of this is that Ethereum mining is done on standard GPUs. Ok, yes, that sucks because now you can't buy a GPU and all the used ones on Ebay are just failures waiting to happen since they've been burned to hell, but it's slightly less dystopic than the bitcoin endgame.

(Though I do have to wonder if some of the modern SOCs would be better for ethash since they integrate the memory and processing so tightly. I shudder to think of the repercussions if someone figures out how to make that work.)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:perfect:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/DailyMail/status/1467329394905698309

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/Megadeth/status/1466488875346505735

Nothing shocking here, Mustaine has always been a dumbass

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It was more depressing when the Rage Against the Machine dude decided the machine was good after all.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember that happening. Are you sure you're not thinking of System of a Down?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Koburn posted:

I don't remember that happening. Are you sure you're not thinking of System of a Down?

I originally linked the tweet, but given even glancing at an embedded tweet about crypto/nft is guaranteed to fill your feeds over multiple websites with absolute garbage, have an image instead.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 5, 2021

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
i made a new nft and if you unspoiler or ctrl c this you owe me $50k buttcoin

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

DrPossum posted:

i made a new nft and if you unspoiler or ctrl c this you owe me $50k buttcoin

I didn’t right click but I hovered lmao get hosed nerd

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Parkingtigers posted:

It was more depressing when the Rage Against the Machine dude decided the machine was good after all.

Not for nothing, but that happened decades ago.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Does Morello have a Golden Compass fetish or something?

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

chaosbreather posted:

You say aglonormative swine but I hear no-coiner right clicker.

A system that is in common use around the world by a massive amount of people and cultures for hundreds of years, and a couple of nerds think they can improve upon it by badly half-reinventing wheels they barely understand in the name of “progress” and “independence” for use by a brain dead money hungry scam dystopia. That’s Bitcoin. That’s American English.

"independense" surely

drk
Jan 16, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

Original Bitcoiners were much more of the libertarian bent - they didn't trust governments and other institutions. Of course any true libertarian will gently caress over their fellow man when it is to their own advantage, so they can't trust each other either. Hence, proof of waste mining, etc.

However, the psuedoanonymous / unregulated nature of the system very very quickly attracted other folks that wanted to avoid the government and it didnt take long before basically every type of scammer, hustler, and pickpocket got involved as well.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

sick of Applebees posted:

"independense" surely

Nah. Pay attention; we say defense because it comes from the Latin fendere, meaning to fend, and fens is somehow what it turned into. But -ence and -ance came later and are used only to turn words into nouns, and independence comes from pendere, meaning to pend.

So surely it should actually be indepensence.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thank you for your corrections, bhikkus, I had half-remembered a detail. In the end, all cryptocurrency is dumb and bad, for apes and devils.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

tehinternet posted:

Because ultimately it’s all based on Tether’s fake billions, sorry, I mean completely legitimate billions that they 100% have. No, really. It’s all there, commercial paper, real audit and everything!

No, really! Completely legitimate!
There’s too many rubes for crypto to truly die, in my opinion. True believers see dips as an opportunity to buy more. They don’t look past that, because anything negative is FUD. The fact that everything gets crushed at the same time as Bitcoin does should be cause for alarm, and raise questions about how independent these coins really are, but it never does.

The only thing I can see crushing crypto in a meaningful way is regulation, or taxation. Everything else will just be treated as FUD and gains will continue to be supported by pure hype and retail money (aka bag holders who come in later). Given the glacial pace that Government moves - I don’t see this regulation happening any time soon.

In conversations with a friend Bitcoin is apparently predicted to be $100k by Christmas (it’s been repeated in this thread too), but that there’s also a “crypto winter” due. The fact there is a chasm between those two possibilities is totally fine though, apparently.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
<big dog t-shirt, he’s mean mugging and holding bitcoins> if you can’t handle the drops get off the rollercoaster

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://twitter.com/ThetaTendies/status/1466926043399262212

worlds tallest kid loves nfts

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
What's the appropriate time to roll out the smug victory memes when it doesn't hit 100k? Is it midnight Xmas day, first thing in the morning or do we have to wait until after Xmas dinner?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Armitage_Shanks posted:

What's the appropriate time to roll out the smug victory memes when it doesn't hit 100k? Is it midnight Xmas day, first thing in the morning or do we have to wait until after Xmas dinner?

The price of bitcoin is fully and completely controlled by unbacked Tether. It's a good idea to predict it will collapse eventually, it's a terrible idea to gloat/smug about any given price drop or timeline while the Tether printer can still go brrrr

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Did anyone post this yet?

https://www.geekwire.com/2021/tech-entrepreneurs-opening-seattle-nft-museum-to-showcase-digital-artform-in-a-physical-space/

quote:

The Seattle NFT Museum, opening Jan. 14, is being billed as the first museum dedicated to the emerging artform in the Pacific Northwest, and will showcase artists and serve as a gathering space for enthusiasts and collectors.
SNFTM — not to be confused with SAM or the old EMP or any other arty acronym — was founded by Seattle entrepreneurs Jennifer Wong and Peter Hamilton. The tech veterans are active in the business and startup community and previously worked together at the marketing company Tune.
Wong is now the head of sustainability at the digital freight startup Convoy as well as an adjunct professor at the University of Washington.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

So it’s an art museum but exclusively for terrible procedurally generated apes? What even is the point anymore

Edit: also does this mean if I steal art off the walls I’m not actually stealing art since the real ownership is floating around in ~the blockchain?~

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i want to remove CO2 emissions from the trucking and shipping industry so we can put the saved emissions into generating cryptocurrency to fund NFTs.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
"One word" he said putting his arm around Dustin Hoffman. "Apes".

drk
Jan 16, 2005
The first link on their page is to buy $125 tickets to their first event (USD only, no apes accepted). So, like everything else in crypto, its a grift to fleece rubes

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Durzel posted:

There’s too many rubes for crypto to truly die, in my opinion. True believers see dips as an opportunity to buy more. They don’t look past that, because anything negative is FUD. The fact that everything gets crushed at the same time as Bitcoin does should be cause for alarm, and raise questions about how independent these coins really are, but it never does.

The only thing I can see crushing crypto in a meaningful way is regulation, or taxation. Everything else will just be treated as FUD and gains will continue to be supported by pure hype and retail money (aka bag holders who come in later). Given the glacial pace that Government moves - I don’t see this regulation happening any time soon.

In conversations with a friend Bitcoin is apparently predicted to be $100k by Christmas (it’s been repeated in this thread too), but that there’s also a “crypto winter” due. The fact there is a chasm between those two possibilities is totally fine though, apparently.
Its getting super depressing that we are stuck with crypto until we literally eat the proponents following crypto induced climate catastrophe. I'd say maybe a bear market could smother it but junk bonds survived the great recession :cocaine:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

zedprime posted:

Its getting super depressing that we are stuck with crypto until we literally eat the proponents following crypto induced climate catastrophe. I'd say maybe a bear market could smother it but junk bonds survived the great recession :cocaine:

In NFT speak a bear market means everyone releases ugly procedurally generated pictures of bears.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

zedprime posted:

You know that scene in the Book of Eli where Denzel and Tom Waits are bartering.
I fully expect to see the same poo poo happen in real life post apoc except the stranger will try to sell pics of lions farting for essentials.
"Got any lip balm?"
"No, but I got some cats wearing hats though."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

drk posted:

Original Bitcoiners were much more of the libertarian bent - they didn't trust governments and other institutions. Of course any true libertarian will gently caress over their fellow man when it is to their own advantage, so they can't trust each other either. Hence, proof of waste mining, etc.

However, the psuedoanonymous / unregulated nature of the system very very quickly attracted other folks that wanted to avoid the government and it didnt take long before basically every type of scammer, hustler, and pickpocket got involved as well.

A lot of these people are deeply untrusting because they are themselves untrustable. Hence why they are the best examples of why their belief system is nonsensical.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Armitage_Shanks posted:

What? no. you should have a solid couple months, easily. Make sure you video recorded it for future playback.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

I had a giant portrait display in my home before it was “cool”.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

God of course this would be in seattle

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

quote:

“The fidelity and size of displays make space for inspiration that smartphone scrolling can’t provide,” Wong said.

If only there was a way to view digital images on a screen larger than a smartphone that was accessible to the general public.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
Imagining an entire gallery of color swapped monkeys arranged like Warhol paintings and I want to vomit.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

down n out posted:

Imagining an entire gallery of color swapped monkeys arranged like Warhol paintings and I want to vomit.

Andy would be proud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
well if you did vomit, andy would be proud