Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Emma the Maid
Emma the Detective
Emma the Witch

Tom and Zack the Orbment Bros
Tom and Zack Kids in Leeves.

Falcom is definitely purposely using names a lot lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm pretty sure Trails has four Kurts.

Not that that's technically lazy. It would be weirder if everyone had unique names.

In Japanese, they only have three. ("By my arts"-Kurt was called Kurz in Japanese)

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I was listening to the battle theme for CS3, Brave Steel, and like with CS2’s battle theme I was lukewarm on it but now I’ve really started to like it

To me, it represents two things: now more than ever is Erebonia in turbulent times and the theme reflects that with a clash of traditional (read: noble faction) instruments like pianos and violins and modern (read: reformist faction) instruments like the guitar and keyboard.
The second read is Rean’s internal struggle with the harmony he’s built in CS1 and 2 clashing with his Oni Power going out of his control; also represented by the traditional and modern instruments respectively

And the end chapter boss theme, Step Ahead, blew me away when it started playing. I thought it was perfect that it played outside Hamel and I thought it was going to be a orchestrated riff of Silver Will. It wasn’t l, but I got that feeling because I thought it was that good. And I thought it was the perfect theme to signal that Rean and Old Class 7 are finally able to stand with Trails Veterans like Estelle’s party and the SSS. Not surprising that they have such a veteran with Agate fighting with them as equals.. The feeling I got was similar to one I had in Trails to Zero, where the SSS have to defend the IBC with Inevitable Struggle playing and basically show to the world that they’re more than knockoff Bracers. I also got the sense that Step Ahead also reflected that the fight itself was like a respectful duel between Duvalie and Shirley. They respect Rean and Old Class 7s strength now, especially compared to past fights with Duvalie in CS2

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Every character who shares a name is related and you will not convince me otherwise. Do NOT make me pull out the pinboard and string.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I don't mind them reusing names, this series has an absurd number of NPC's, and you don't want them getting low on ideas and trying to fill them up with names like "Cattleya".

SgtSteel91 posted:

I was listening to the battle theme for CS3, Brave Steel, and like with CS2’s battle theme I was lukewarm on it but now I’ve really started to like it

I'm not all that good at interpreting deep meanings to instrumental music, I just like how the song gets... deeper? More emphatic? at about the 1:26 mark, taking the riffs from about the 1:10 mark and emphasizing them. It also helps that battles in CS 3 last much longer than in CS 2, and Heated Mind suffered from a 30 second intro which was just bad, before the good part of the song started.

Step Ahead is also really good.

:siren: SgtSteel, you should probably stop reading my post after this point. Just to be safe. :siren:

@@@@@@@

Cold Steel 3 - Chapter 3

A whole shitton of plot has happened. Way too much to cover. I am now mid-morning on the third day of Chapter 3’s field exercises. Specifically, I’m at the start of Group A’s dungeon crawl. I left the party with the default setup.

I think I might have overestimated the significance of Rean’s fake glasses appearing early on. It hasn’t come up in a long time so I guess it really was just a very poor attempt at a disguise. Not sure why he bothered with them for the opening ceremony.

Chapter 3 Day 2, past the point of no return for the day
Just for the record, that geology professor is obviously a villain of some kind. Him showing up at a place with Pleroma Grass in Crossbell right when a Cryptid appeared, and coming back from a place where Millium went to investigate... the timing on that just cannot be coincidence. Rean has actually been sharper in this game than in CS 1/2, so it’s a little unusual that he apparently hasn’t picked up on that. But then again, he’s actually learned to play things close to the vest now, so maybe he did.

Funnily enough, when Rean tried to tell the students to wait at the lodge, and Juna objected I actually disagreed with both of them! I disagreed with Rean because there wasn’t all that much evidence of severe danger - at least, relative to all the other dangerous things he was okay with them participating in, and I disagreed with Juna because Rean being their instructor is EXACTLY the reason why he gets to make the call about what is and what isn’t too dangerous.

What’s the name of the song which plays in the Sol Shrine, specifically the Stahlritter fight? I found its music file, but I need the song’s name.

I wish that the Steel Maiden actually did give the kids their much-needed dose of reality, because their instructors sure as hell aren’t doing that.

Interesting hints of something unusual up with Gaius not being a normal human. Given the hints that a Dominion has taken an interest in his village, perhaps he’s a candidate to become a Dominion.

I’m still annoyed at Crow just up and walking around like normal. I don’t get it. Why the hell are he and Fie’s adopted father both- … they both seem to have those phantom Divine Knights. ...Osborne also seemed to suffer a conclusive death, then get up and walking around again, now I’m starting to wonder if he also has one. Don’t tell me, though.

First Night of the Summer Festival
It’s interesting how much stuff you can hear from wandering around town. I learned about the former Duke Cayenne (not the one from CS 2), Albert or Alfred, who died something like 10 years earlier. At the start of the Ordis summer festival, Count Florald mentioned that Albert/Alfred used to have a child. I drew a straight line between that piece of information and the reactions Musse gathered when leaving the Cayenne villa a few moments earlier. She is that child, a potential alternative heir to Cayenne’s power.

There’s confirmation that Ash is working with Lechter and the Intelligence Division. He doesn’t seem to be a full on Ironblood, but it’s unclear what he’s looking for. Something related to his origins, perhaps? But it has to be more than curiosity. Probably some kind of special power he doesn't fully understand.

I thought I was getting a 'witch' vibe from Musse, and the game is implying Vita gave her at least some training. ...Ohhh, which kinda makes sense if she hung around the Cayenne estate, which is where Vita was, helping to train Crow.. I’m baffled that I already have all of Musse’s character profile notes, even though it seems like there’s still more plot drops about her waiting to come in this game alone.

First Full Day of the Summer Festival

The trip up north was a real slog. Fighting Jaegers is a real pain, I guess because of all that armor boosting their effective HP. It also didn't help that I didn't have as many good options for Break. Gaius's order was good, but it costs a lot of BP and it's hard to generate without being able to break.

Amazingly, for once, the military actually gets off its butt and comes to back up Class VII, and even more amazingly, Class VII actually leaves it to the military.

I appreciate that the game is doing better, sometimes, about covering their storytelling bases. In CS 1, the most on-alert base in the country was pathetically conquered by two tiny aircraft without even a remotely believable explanation provided. In CS 3, (Chapter 3) an incompetent noble ignores the general's advice and empties the fort of most troops. And the enemy also has a ridiculously unfair advantage.

Apparently the situation is only NOW serious enough for Aurelia to deign to get her hands dirty, although it seems like personal reasons. Her blowing away that lion Cryptid is pretty expected, although I’m not all THAT impressed, since Rean, Sara, and the fledglings were able to take that same sort of guy down with ease already.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

What’s the name of the song which plays in the Sol Shrine, specifically the Stahlritter fight? I found its music file, but I need the song’s name.[/spoiler]

Beyond the Journey

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I reached the climax of Chapter 3.

I started out by having Rean cast Chrono Drive. Then the bad gals took about 10 turns in a row and by the time I got a chance to act again, Everyone except Rean was at critical health. Ah. It's going to be one of those fights.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

I reached the climax of Chapter 3.

I started out by having Rean cast Chrono Drive. Then the bad gals took about 10 turns in a row and by the time I got a chance to act again, Everyone except Rean was at critical health. Ah. It's going to be one of those fights.

Well, they got Unfathomed Force to play in the background just for this occasion. They wouldn't give a cameo to one of Azure's most epic battle songs if the battle was a total joke.

Buffs are always useful, but in this case the boss can use her thunder attack to all-cancel them. If you're taking too much damage, consider using Millium's brave order to cut it by 90%, use Gaius' craft to set Balance Down and use crafts with a high unbalance chance to chip away at the flunkies while restoring BP at the same time.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

Well, they got Unfathomed Force to play in the background just for this occasion. They wouldn't give a cameo to one of Azure's most epic battle songs if the battle was a total joke.

Buffs are always useful, but in this case the boss can use her thunder attack to all-cancel them. If you're taking too much damage, consider using Millium's brave order to cut it by 90%, use Gaius' craft to set Balance Down and use crafts with a high unbalance chance to chip away at the flunkies while restoring BP at the same time.

Yeah, I beat it on my third try. I quit out of the first for obvious reasons, and the second try because I didn't have appropriate Seal protection on everyone. I think I used Gaius's order to do some breaks and/or heal 80%, and then I handed out Cold Stews to a couple people to use full-power S-Crafts. At one point I needed to use Sara's order to Accelerate everyone. I did need to use a Seraphic Ring to bring back a couple people after the BIG S-Craft from the boss. Duvalie fell first, and I found out why Ines is called the Stout, as she survived AFTER Arianrhod fell.

Very appropriately, I got the "Use 100 S-Crafts in battle" achievement during this fight. I'm now about to start the big robot phase.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

then I handed out Cold Stews to a couple people

Trails of Cold Stew

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Good luck with the robot. It has the same nasty little gimmick near the end that the final boss in Azure had, so hold onto your BP.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
I think that fight was when I started looking into gear that nullifies "Delay" as a status effect. Fights suddenly get a whole lot easier if the boss can't just erase the next 5 turns.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

SgtSteel91 posted:

To me, it represents two things: now more than ever is Erebonia in turbulent times and the theme reflects that with a clash of traditional (read: noble faction) instruments like pianos and violins and modern (read: reformist faction) instruments like the guitar and keyboard.
The second read is Rean’s internal struggle with the harmony he’s built in CS1 and 2 clashing with his Oni Power going out of his control; also represented by the traditional and modern instruments respectively

And the end chapter boss theme, Step Ahead, blew me away when it started playing. I thought it was perfect that it played outside Hamel and I thought it was going to be a orchestrated riff of Silver Will. It wasn’t l, but I got that feeling because I thought it was that good. And I thought it was the perfect theme to signal that Rean and Old Class 7 are finally able to stand with Trails Veterans like Estelle’s party and the SSS. Not surprising that they have such a veteran with Agate fighting with them as equals.. The feeling I got was similar to one I had in Trails to Zero, where the SSS have to defend the IBC with Inevitable Struggle playing and basically show to the world that they’re more than knockoff Bracers. I also got the sense that Step Ahead also reflected that the fight itself was like a respectful duel between Duvalie and Shirley. They respect Rean and Old Class 7s strength now, especially compared to past fights with Duvalie in CS2

Oh yeah, Step Ahead is probably my favorite boss theme in the series.

To plagiarize myself for a second, what I personally love about Step Ahead is that it's so chaotic which fits the sequences where it plays perfectly. A recurring theme in CS3 is the player and Rean being frustrated and angered by never having information, especially compared to the antagonists. So the fights against the Enforcers (and some of the Stahlritter fights) are these wildly desperate confrontations made all the worse by the fact that your characters don't even know why they are happening.

Here's my extremely abstract take on the music: The Piano and Xylosynth (it might be a Celesta) represent Ouroboros, and the Violin and Guitar are Class VII. There's an obnoxious, taunting piano intro, perfect for a chaotic battle against someone playing with their food. In the early part of the piece after the intro, there's a guitar that joins in, but it's pulled in. It sounds reluctant. The Piano is still clearly in control, and guiding the piece. The Piano is answered by the Violin which plays back the same notes it just heard. But while the Piano had a controlled, taunting quality, the violin is much more emotional and is allowed to linger on individual notes for longer, instead of being played with stops. At about the 1 minute mark, the violin goes down this soft, introspective path, and while it's the active instrument that your mind pays attention to, if you listen closely, its being led down this path by what's either a Xylosynth or a Celesta. Much like Ouroboros, and like the name of the piece, it is tauntingly a Step Ahead. After a few seconds of this, though, we hit the climax of the piece. The Violin is sick of this poo poo and absolutely becomes the driving instrument of the piece from that point on. Not only is the intensity kicked up a notch, but the Xylosynth/Celesta is sent scrambling to keep up, taking its Piano buddy with it, both now just a step behind. It is a sudden reversal of the whole power dynamic that had been established just a few seconds ago. You can even hear the mysterious tricksy instrument get staggered at about the 1:38 or 1:39 mark.

Now, to me, this fits in very well with how the class has grown over the years. Yes, you're still weaker than Ouroboros, but not by much. It is only just a step. They might still be stronger than you, but they're not better than you. They still pull their "oh we were holding back" bullshit, but it rings hollow. When you win a fight in CS3, for the most part, it feels like you actually won a fight. You're not relying on strong allies to save you; you're getting the upper hand and they're doing things like Summoning Aions. They have become the ones needing outsiders to save them.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

That’s an awesome analysis of the battle theme, thank you for writing that

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

Good luck with the robot. It has the same nasty little gimmick near the end that the final boss in Azure had, so hold onto your BP.

I'm not really sure what you meant by that, I didn't have much trouble with it because I kept up on healing and defense, and the game helpfully resets you to full HP/EP for each phase.

I finished CS 3 Chapter 3, hit the end-of-chapter save point, then stopped.

- I got another S-Rank, but full disclosure, I did have to reload multiple sidequests I picked wrong answers for initially.
- I suppose it shouldn't be that surprising that someone from Lohengrin castle, which had a big mystery door like the one Valimar was behind, also has a Divine Knight behind it. Odd that the Stahlritter never considered that either.
- I am satisfied that I figured out that Musse was Albert's daughter before the reveal. The games tend to do a good job with foreshadowing from NPC's in the background. It's always nice to pick up on some of that and make the connections ahead of time.
- On the subject, Musse's Moulin Rouge craft bears definite similarities to one of Vita's crafts. I wonder how much she learned.
- I am extremely suspicious that Gaius still doesn't have an S-Craft. That is definitely important, given all the little hints they're nudging towards.
- It'll be interesting seeing where the story goes now that the initial formula is all wrapped up. I don't have any knowledge of note past this point. A class reunion sounds nice. It's going to go wrong, probably, though.
- The Stahlritter's canyon running scene was a pretty clunky because it was a lot of "as you know, my backstory is..." told to people who already know that, or should.
- And I suppose that I should get into the important stuff...

MAJOR SPOILERS for a big TWIST at the end of CS 3, Chapter 3.
I can't say that I was completely shocked at G. Nome being an agent for the gnomes. That name was pointed out a long time ago, but for the longest time I thought it might just one of those subtle puns sometimes done, because he's good at tech. I really wish this series actually had the courage to just occasionally kill people off. I'm not asking for Game of Thrones, kill-em-all grimdark stuff, but just occasionally having major characters die helps keep the stakes up. Because George just shooting Angelica dead would have been a fantastic exclamation point for the twist - if I actually believed it. But I just cannot believe the game will kill her off. Because something something power of friendship, he didn't have the heart to really do it.

Now I'm wondering if Georg had any connection with Franz Reinford's death. Oh, this game isn't done with that plot, I'm sure.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

I'm not really sure what you meant by that, I didn't have much trouble with it because I kept up on healing and defense, and the game helpfully resets you to full HP/EP for each phase.

When it gets low on HP, it starts charging an attack and if you don't finish it off before that attack comes out, it's an automatic game over.

- I suppose it shouldn't be that surprising that someone from Lohengrin castle, which had a big mystery door like the one Valimar was behind, also has a Divine Knight behind it. Odd that the Stahlritter never considered that either.

Well, Lianne Sandlot isn't the only one who's lived in that castle. The Knight behind it could have been claimed before she was even born. What confuses the Stahlritter, who idolize the Steel Maiden and trust her implicitly, is not just that she has a Knight, but also that she never shared this with them.

MAJOR SPOILERS for a big TWIST at the end of CS 3, Chapter 3.
I can't say that I was completely shocked at G. Nome being an agent for the gnomes. That name was pointed out a long time ago, but for the longest time I thought it might just one of those subtle puns sometimes done, because he's good at tech. I really wish this series actually had the courage to just occasionally kill people off. I'm not asking for Game of Thrones, kill-em-all grimdark stuff, but just occasionally having major characters die helps keep the stakes up. Because George just shooting Angelica dead would have been a fantastic exclamation point for the twist - if I actually believed it. But I just cannot believe the game will kill her off. Because something something power of friendship, he didn't have the heart to really do it.

Now I'm wondering if Georg had any connection with Franz Reinford's death. Oh, this game isn't done with that plot, I'm sure.

The fact that it was such a punny name was probably meant to lull the player into a false sense of security since players had two whole games to get used to Georg before the Gnomes became an active player in the story. What was meant to surprise the player was not so much the fact that he was connected to the gnomes somehow, but that he was an agent who was actively working to further their plans.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Responding to the twist marked earlier: Really recontexualizes that bit at the end of CS1, when G. Nome and Crow are hanging out studying Valimar before he turned on. Really nothing good could have come from that and Rean's probably lucky Valimar actually works.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Cold Steel 3

Early Chapter 4 stuff

- For quite a while, I was confused about Emperor Eugent III’s reactions – or rather, his lack of reactions to Gilliath Osborne’s policies. He seemed to be rubber-stamping whatever Osborne wanted. It had not occurred to me that everything Osborne is doing – including provoking a civil war – was apparently done with the blessing of the Emperor. He’s a collaborator, not a puppet. I can see now why Olivert hasn’t tried to curb Osborne’s influence on the Empire through his father.

- Heh, I knew that the pinky ring as a gift for Alisa was going to have an interesting result. Even though the game generally assumes Rean didn’t pick anyone in CS 2, it’s still at least a bit surprising that Alisa’s message would be as direct as “I thought that was an engagement ring, which would have been fine with me”. Also notable is that Rean’s response to Alisa’s reaction was not “maybe that was the wrong message”, which is kinda what he said after seeing Sharon’s reaction to perfume.

- I am surprised that Principal Aurelia gets a hair cosmetic. I was assuming that she was a one-dungeon-and-done guest character.
- Something is odd with the weather. It doesn't go from overcast and raining to completely clear skies instantly. If the clouds were moving off, okay, but I don't see any at all.
- JFC, high-quality quartz at the Pawn Shop is ridiculously expensive. You can't get more than two without being tapped out of U-Mat. With a bit of effort and grinding in Einhel Keep (on level 3 and later 4), I eventually picked up: Acala Gem, Rakan Gem, Vulcan Gem, Skanda Gem, Sevenfold Gem, Fenrir Gem
- Nice to have another one of the OG Trails characters in combat again. I've been waiting for Tita to show off her new mech.
- I wasn't expecting the challenge after the Einhel Keep trip. I think 15 minutes of agonizing selection of quartz was being a little too over-prepared, because the actual fight was a lot easier than I was expecting, since I made good use of my Battle Orders to keep Victor and Aurelia locked down.

- I'm now on the very start of Field Exercises.
- The game is going to force Rean to dance with Alfin, because GOTTA HAVE HAREM, and I'm going to be so annoyed by it.

There are a few interesting threads I've made note of. I'll just leave these points here:
  • (Chapter 4) Something strange happened with Altina's training exercise with the Goliath.
  • (Chapter 4) The Gnomes were monitoring the Goliath training.
  • (Chapter 4) Not long earlier than the above, Schmidt revealed that the Soldats designs were found in Franz Reinford's notes. Goliath was the final of Franz Reinford's designs.
  • (Chapter 4) Schmidt also wondered why the branch campus was getting a Goliath to test with. He seemed to think that was odd.
  • (Chapter 2) Sharon was sent by Ouroboros to talk to Franz Reinford for some undisclosed reason.
  • (Chapter 2) Something went wrong (in an unclear way) and Franz Reinford was killed in an explosion. Sharon was also apparently badly injured in the explosion.
  • (Very end of Chapter 3) Angelica seemed to recognize the other person with Georg. From what little I saw, they didn't look terribly familiar to me. I mean I guess they could be "Professor Lugham", but this guy has a different hair color, which means he's a different person.
  • (Very end of Chapter 3) The Gnomes seemingly have the ability to make convincing, realistic fake corpses.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 3, 2021

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

- Heh, I knew that the pinky ring as a gift for Alisa was going to have an interesting result. Even though the game generally assumes Rean didn’t pick anyone in CS 2, it’s still at least a bit surprising that Alisa’s message would be as direct as “I thought that was an engagement ring, which would have been fine with me”. Also notable is that Rean’s response to Alisa’s reaction was not “maybe that was the wrong message”, which is kinda what he said after seeing Sharon’s reaction to perfume.

Well, there WAS the gigantic "Just Kidding(tm), not really" at the end, but yeah, as far as the bonding goes, Falcom went for the tight ship in CS3 with only Alisa, Laura and Emma being overly romantic and the game not being subtle in hinting that Rean and Alisa are very chummy with each other. And you haven't even gotten to the most blatant example yet. Enjoy it while it lasts. The about-face Falcom undertook in regard to the bondings after the Towa/Fie/Sara-shippers started sending angry letters in response to CS3 is the stuff of legends. :P

- I am surprised that Principal Aurelia gets a hair cosmetic. I was assuming that she was a one-dungeon-and-done guest character.

She is, but since she still pops up in cutscenes, they decided to keep the option. CS4 even has the option of pimping out a few characters who are never playable.

- JFC, high-quality quartz at the Pawn Shop is ridiculously expensive. You can't get more than two without being tapped out of U-Mat. With a bit of effort and grinding in Einhel Keep (on level 3 and later 4), I eventually picked up: Acala Gem, Rakan Gem, Vulcan Gem, Skanda Gem, Sevenfold Gem, Fenrir Gem

Given how broken some of that rare quartz is, that's to be expected.

- Nice to have another one of the OG Trails characters in combat again. I've been waiting for Tita to show off her new mech.

Yeah. The game even gives a nod to that orbal cannon she used to lug around by having it be her field attack and it's a pretty nutty one. It hits an AOE and can stun monsters even if they're facing you. They also kept some other nods to stint as a playable character in Sky in like the existence of her Vital Cannon craft and the fact that her HP in Orbal Gear is twice as high as the rest of the party. Now if only she wasn't locked to that Mobius MQ, which is a continuation of her space-oriented quartz grid in Sky.

- The game is going to force Rean to dance with Alfin, because GOTTA HAVE HAREM, and I'm going to be so annoyed by it.

Don't worry too much about that one.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Honestly, I've given it some thought, and after four games, I think she's either the second or third best of the possible Rean romances.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
*edit: whoops wrong thread

isk fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 3, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Veryslightlymad posted:

Honestly, I've given it some thought, and after four games, I think she's either the second or third best of the possible Rean romances.

She's great

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Cold Steel 3 - Chapter 4

I'm now, uh, a little bit after lunch on Day 2 of the Field Exercises. I think I might reload a slightly earlier save and spend a bit of time getting a few more highly advanced quartz, because I suddenly seem to be in need of more than I was expecting.

Erpy posted:

Well, there WAS the gigantic "Just Kidding(tm), not really" at the end, but yeah, as far as the bonding goes, Falcom went for the tight ship in CS3 with only Alisa, Laura and Emma being overly romantic and the game not being subtle in hinting that Rean and Alisa are very chummy with each other. And you haven't even gotten to the most blatant example yet. Enjoy it while it lasts. The about-face Falcom undertook in regard to the bondings after the Towa/Fie/Sara-shippers started sending angry letters in response to CS3 is the stuff of legends. :P

It's hard to imagine anyone believing the "just kidding" part. Also surprisingly-not-subtle: Alisa's second character note. Even Altina gets in on it a bit: "That was clearly beyond the level of a 'just friends' hug."

I've heard things about CS 4, and as a result, I might actually end up just plain avoiding a lot of bonding events like that.

CS 3 - Chapter 4 stuff

- Given the fact that the Bracer Guild is explicitly not supposed to take sides in conflicts between states, why the heck are they getting involved in tracking down what are widely assumed to be Calvardian military agents? Is the guild so desperate to have their hands untied in Erebonia?
- I myself am not entirely convinced. One "suspicious" empty apartment apparently had a bunch of books about the Republic. But that actually is the opposite of what an actual agent for the Republic would keep lying around. First, because they came from there, they already know about it. Second, the operation is in Heimdallr, so books on the Republic are useless for that operation, they would have books on the Empire and Heimdallr instead.
- I went with my gut for the horse race and won.
- I found the grave with the name "Rudolf Arandor. d 1192." (The Hundred Days War?) Are there any other graves of note, most of them just are the same names repeated over and over again.

- Three times now, Rean has made the mental note that he should talk to Alisa about her father in mandatory dialogue. This is clearly going to come up, and I can't wait. It should be interesting.
- I've got all my Master quartz up to level 6 or higher now.
- I was expecting a big everyone together for one big dungeon, but not this soon. What on earth are they going to do in Chapter 5???
- Emma, I have a lot of questions for you about your t-shirt which says "My grandmother is an ancient vampire with the appearance of an 8-year-old girl". Questions which are not answered by the t-shirt.

- I think I'm going to go with the default of...
A: Juna, Kurt, Sara, Elliot, Gaius
B: Musse, Ash, Jusis, Millium, Machias
C: Rean, Altina, Alisa, Laura, Fie, Emma

That looks to cover my requirements of Alisa and Emma in Rean's party, Musse not in Rean's party, at least one caster in each party. Maybe I'll swap Ash and Altina to get a second guy in Rean's party, since Altina is kinda a half-caster, and I don't think I need a third caster in Rean's party.

Nereidum
Apr 26, 2008

- I found the grave with the name "Rudolf Arandor. d 1192." (The Hundred Days War?) Are there any other graves of note, most of them just are the same names repeated over and over again.

There are a couple of other unique ones: Elsa Regnitz, Machias's cousin and Julian Braun, who I believe was the fiancee of the bakery/cafe owner in Leeves you probably did a quest about recently. I believe there are instances during this chapter where the relevant people visit these graves.

Also, a localization note about the grave you did find: "Arandor" is how Falcom spells the name that XSEED and NISA localized as "Arundel."

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

I've heard things about CS 4, and as a result, I might actually end up just plain avoiding a lot of bonding events like that.

The way bonding events with female characters work in CS4 is that in addition to bonding stars to gauge their progress, they also have hearts. You need both hearts in order to get a romantic final event. If you miss the first bonding event (and thus the first heart), the second bonding event will have the romantic stuff cut out of it since the romantic ending has been cut off. So if you want to avoid the crazy harem stuff, watch the first bonding event. Reload and skip it. The second bonding event will be relatively platonic.

- Given the fact that the Bracer Guild is explicitly not supposed to take sides in conflicts between states, why the heck are they getting involved in tracking down what are widely assumed to be Calvardian military agents? Is the guild so desperate to have their hands untied in Erebonia?

They'd obviously want to get more leeway in Erebonia, but the code may also be limited to politicians, diplomats and official military personnel rather than people whose existence would be denied by the powers that be. Or it may be ambigious enough to allow for some flexibility.

This is one of those texture gaffes like the Train Militaly Police in early versions of Cold Steel 1. NISA's QA obviously didn't pick up on it.

- Emma, I have a lot of questions for you about your t-shirt which says "My grandmother is an ancient vampire with the appearance of an 8-year-old girl". Questions which are not answered by the t-shirt.

It's fairly obvious at that point that Rose is Emma's grandmother in the same way that Vita is Emma's sister.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 5, 2021

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Sky question: are they doing to keep doing that thing where half the dungeons just refuse to map while being in darker areas with bland textures? Because if so, I'm just going to hunt for maps now so I don't spend an hour lost trying to figure out what the gently caress I'm doing in what's supposedly A RACE TO SAVE A COMPANION because I set the game down, came back, and had no north to navigate from or use any other maps out there to orient myself with the treasure chests gone.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

secretly best girl posted:

Sky question: are they doing to keep doing that thing where half the dungeons just refuse to map while being in darker areas with bland textures? Because if so, I'm just going to hunt for maps now so I don't spend an hour lost trying to figure out what the gently caress I'm doing in what's supposedly A RACE TO SAVE A COMPANION because I set the game down, came back, and had no north to navigate from or use any other maps out there to orient myself with the treasure chests gone.

I'm afraid so, especially in FC's final dungeon

3rd is much better about it though

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Well, I just started the final chapter so time to get that atlas out

I'm mostly mad about this because the fortress caper lets me know they CAN give me something else in place of a minimap, navigating around there using the intel and landmarks was cool as heck, but instead, the cave of "we sent 4 people and have it on record" doesn't even have a crude map I can use.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Cold Steel 3 - Chapter 4 stuff contained below.

Erpy posted:

The way bonding events with female characters work in CS4 is that in addition to bonding stars to gauge their progress, they also have hearts. You need both hearts in order to get a romantic final event. If you miss the first bonding event (and thus the first heart), the second bonding event will have the romantic stuff cut out of it since the romantic ending has been cut off. So if you want to avoid the crazy harem stuff, watch the first bonding event. Reload and skip it. The second bonding event will be relatively platonic.

That's extremely helpful information, thanks a lot.

CS 3 - Chapter 4

I have finished 7/16. To say that was exhausting would be a tremendous understatement.

- It was a good idea that I spent some U-Material on upgrades, because I got something like 90 in the course of the dungeon, so I did a second round of upgrades upon reaching the last section, and I still came out of there with another 30-ish. I am glad I did that round of upgrades too.
- Boss Talk. What an exhausting fight. It was a little unpleasant to discover that the boss could dispel buffs essentially at will. Needless to say, I had to revise my strategies.
- Boss Talk. Somehow, despite completely blanking on proper equipment setup, I somehow won on the first attempt. The second stage was the hardest, and a few people died. I probably should have spent some Brave Seeds. I forgot I had those.
- Boss Talk. I chose Ash for the giant robot because I knew he had an Impede and he hits hard. The boss went down incredibly fast. I was expecting a tougher battle, and certainly a longer one.
- Boss Talk. I was NOT expecting, nor desiring a second boss fight after the climactic one. I died the first attempt because the boss's S-Craft could one-shot Rean from full HP when Enhanced. On my second attempt I ate a "Craft Guard" food at that point.
- Interesting that Ash thinks something is off about the Calvardian weapon. I've been taking this invasion with a grain of salt the whole time. It'll be interesting to see what this is.

- But hey, it's festival time. I've got 13 tickets (out of 15 possible characters, which seems odd). This day is going to last forever, with all the possible combinations.
- Oh fukkleducks, I missed a hidden quest on Chapter 4's Free Day evening. I didn't notice until now when I realized I got all the student's character notes but one, and the missing one was someone I'd already talked to today. Oh well. That's too inconvenient to replay that much for. I'll have to remember not to miss it on a replay. I'm on Hard difficulty, so I was never going to get 100% achievements on one run anyway.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 6, 2021

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

- But hey, it's festival time. I've got 13 tickets (out of 15 possible characters, which seems odd). This day is going to last forever, with all the possible combinations.

The worst part is all the bread ones have a decently different result.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

I believe you get additional tickets by doing sidequests. You SHOULD have enough for everybody.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Variations are suffering.
Also wow you sped through.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

I believe you get additional tickets by doing sidequests. You SHOULD have enough for everybody.

I suspected there would be something like that given the close numbers, and how Tokyo Xanadu did something similar. I hadn't actually walked through every district yet. At least 15 tickets for 15 people can make it slightly easier to chart which events I've seen.

MythosDragon posted:

Variations are suffering.
Also wow you sped through.

Suffering is a part of life.

The speeding through is because I'm actually enjoying this game a lot more than I expected I would, given some of the things I heard about it ahead of time which didn't give me a good feeling. Also some of the writing choices in CS 2 left a bad taste in my mouth. However, Rean seems to be a much smarter, more cunning, and more mature character in this game. (Same with most of the rest of Class VII as well, obviously.) Granted, I haven't gotten to the big events and big reveals, which might sour me once again.

Cold Steel 3 - LATE Chapter 4

Random guessing: at the party tonight, they might pull the old, but reasonable trope of "person overhears a conversation they shouldn't have" thing: Rean is going to want to talk about FR, and he might try doing that with Irina Reinford and Sharon in a quiet area or room off the main floor, and whoops, they say something and Alisa will have walked in at just the wrong time and overheard.

Also it's funny how Rean had a slight moment of self-awareness when he met with General Craig and thought "is this how people people see me with Elise?" No, Rean, you come off a lot stronger than that.

...Did I miss picking up a Vantage Masters card somewhere? I have all but one card (one of the Fire ones), but I thought I played with everyone and won up until this point, and it's not letting me challenge my final opponent, despite having a nearly 100% full deck. Bah. Must have missed one somewhere. Or maybe I need to visit the museum or advance the plot more. I know I'm missing one fish and can't go to the competition yet. EDIT: Got my missing card, and now also the Chevalier MQ. The card was Hepetus, from Sidney, I played him, lost, but didn't replay him, so his card icon was gone. I'm now playing with a full deck, which isn't something people say about me often.

EDIT: I went to the museum. Ha ha, goddamn, I knew it. The name used to be Franz Lughman, didn't it. I began thinking along those lines a little while ago. I also note that just yesterday, he was at the museum, but as soon as he heard original Class VII was on the way, he started talking about going elsewhere to check on other exhibits. So he wouldn't be in the same room as Alisa when she showed up.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 6, 2021

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Dang, Stabby you’re just blazing through this game, I just got done with the Chapter 2 Free Day.

- The first bonding event in CS3 with Laura is really good. Laura all cap texting Rean if he know any good training spots was hilarious. Followed by Rean and her kicking rear end in Einhel Keep, which was amazing. And the conversation by the pool side was cute and heartwarming as well. I was happy hearing that Laura invited Monica out to Legram to celebrate her graduation. And how Laura opens up to Rean about her father and the pressure she's feeling now that she's become a master but not yet ready to inherit the Arseid School, then Rean taking her hand to reassure her was a really cute moment.
If there was one thing that I could change, and it would have required CS3 to know that Rean and Laura were in a relationship in CS2 (which is impossible :smith:) it would be to adjust Laura's last line of "I wish you the best of luck with the new Class VII, and I will readily offer you my aid should you ever need it. I swear that upon my sword." to "I swear that as your sword."

- The Juna bonding event was also pretty interesting and sad since it involves a Mishy plush wearing an Imperial Officer uniform, showing the Empire co-opting Crossbell’s mascot and culture into their military propaganda.

- Speaking of the chapter title gave it away but I wasn’t expecting the next field study to take place in Crossbell. Seeing Heimdallr and Roer in the new engine was neat, and I’m looking forward to seeing what Crossbell looks like in 3D.

- Cedric was also a something I wasn’t expecting, especially his attitude change to being a whole lot haughty of the Branch Campus and all the backhanded compliments. It’s like having a new Patrick to antagonize New Class 7. And that comparison was only reinforced when he and his friends crashed the Panzer Soldat training at the Branch Campus for some ‘friendly sparring’. Though Musse’s line at the end of the Panzer Soldat Training might have gave away what’s going on: that Cedric is being groomed as Ironblood. And if that’s true… ho boy will that cement Osborne’s hold over Erebonia permanently.

- On that note of Panzer Soldats… is Altina going to pilot one in Mech Fights? Ash tagged in for her in this training battle, and I’m wondering how she’d fight in a Soldat in the first place if her weapon is Sammy.

- For Quests and the Einhel Keep trial, Josette as a Sky cameo was someone I never thought to see, but her family did once own Leeves so I should have seen it coming. She looks pretty good in the 3 years since Sky, bet Estelle is salty she can’t call Josette a tomboy anymore.

- But my god was this Einhel Keep Trial a kick in the balls for me, and I was even playing on normal. Abyssal Worms are back and they still do that lovely earthquake after taking damage. And that boss hit like a truck as well. That’s probably intentional though; the game really wants you to use Juna and Kurt’s new Brave Orders. And when I used them correctly, using Juan’s to break guard then Kurt’s to stack Order Points and damage, both the worms and the boss became a lot more manageable.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I had 130 hours at the end, so beating it in 2 weeks is scary to me.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Also it's funny how Rean had a slight moment of self-awareness when he met with General Craig and thought "is this how people people see me with Elise?" No, Rean, you come off a lot stronger than that.

Now go talk to Patrick at the Cathedral during the festival to see that self-awareness go right out the window with a line that would fit right onto a Seymore Skinner meme pic.

One thing I liked about CSIII was that it dialed back the awkward not-incest comments a bit regarding Rean and Elise and instead focussed on Rean's comically disproportionate over-protectiveness instead.

SgtSteel91 posted:

- On that note of Panzer Soldats… is Altina going to pilot one in Mech Fights? Ash tagged in for her in this training battle, and I’m wondering how she’d fight in a Soldat in the first place if her weapon is Sammy.

At some point in the game, it's actually mentioned that her ability to puppeteer Claiohm Solais is actually a handicap for her in terms of piloting Soldats since the usual models handle just a little differently and she has trouble adjusting because of that.

SgtSteel91 posted:

- But my god was this Einhel Keep Trial a kick in the balls for me, and I was even playing on normal. Abyssal Worms are back and they still do that lovely earthquake after taking damage. And that boss hit like a truck as well. That’s probably intentional though; the game really wants you to use Juna and Kurt’s new Brave Orders. And when I used them correctly, using Juan’s to break guard then Kurt’s to stack Order Points and damage, both the worms and the boss became a lot more manageable.

Using Sledgehammer to break stuff followed up by Wind Blade to cram as many link attacks into the vulnerable timeframe as possible is pretty much one of the easiest and most obvious ways in which to break the game.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Elliott becoming a ninja just to avoid dad hugs was one of my favorite parts of Arc 4.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah, I've been playing the game more than I should. But I've had it sitting around for a year and eight months, most of that time was spent waiting for the Geofront to finish their work on the Crossbell duology, and the rest was re-playing CS 2. The replay of CS 2 took me about a year from when I started to replay it to when I finished.

SgtSteel91 posted:

If there was one thing that I could change, and it would have required CS3 to know that Rean and Laura were in a relationship in CS2 (which is impossible :smith:) it would be to adjust Laura's last line of "I wish you the best of luck with the new Class VII, and I will readily offer you my aid should you ever need it. I swear that upon my sword." to "I swear that as your sword."

It would be nice if the game had the option to pick, but that would probably require too many changes to interactions which ripple throughout the whole game to be feasible.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Congratulations, you just figured out the One Weird Trick to breaking this game's difficulty over your knee... mostly. It doesn't work all the time. And if you fail to finish off a tough opponent before Break wears off, they'll likely enter Enraged state right afterwards.

@@@@

Not that people necessarily will care, but after going through the options, my festival choices are going to be:

Racecourse Reception – Ash, Gaius, Sara
Mishy Show – Juna, Altina, Laura (Just Friends)
Purebread Baking – Emma (Just Friends), Jusis, Fie
Charity Bazaarr – Machias, Elliot, Towa
Tram Tour – Kurt, Millium, Alisa* (Romance choice)

Dame Not-Appearing-In-These-Bonding-Events: Musse, Alfin/Elise

* I'm saving this one for last after the mandatory request. I started that and since one objective is still "spend time at the festival", I am confident that I will be able to do so.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 7, 2021

Nereidum
Apr 26, 2008

Tram Tour – Kurt, Millium, Alisa* (Romance choice)

If you haven't moved on past this part (or if you still have a save from before moving on), a few characters (Gwyn, Sharon, and Irina) get some extra dialog after you take Alisa's romance option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Nereidum posted:

If you haven't moved on past this part (or if you still have a save from before moving on), a few characters (Gwyn, Sharon, and Irina) get some extra dialog after you take Alisa's romance option.

you just gave me anxiety cuz I have no clue if I saw that.