Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Vita games had a digital manual and a lot of publishers went full bore with making them look real nice. that would have been cool as hell on the switch, smh, vita stays winning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rutibex posted:

Cart lovers, do any of your physical games have a manual? I own a bunch of physical Switch games and none of them came with a manual. The slot in the box seems vestigial, rarely used for some advertising or a code card.

Except Rune Factory 4, the only switch game I have ever seen with a manual. Which is odd becasue it was a cheap game :shrug:

Binding of Isaac had one that looked like the NES Zelda manual.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It really depends. Outside of BoI, I think the only physical Switch games I've got that contain a manual are from Limited Run Games. I'm sure the other boutique labels include them too.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Cart lovers, do any of your physical games have a manual? I own a bunch of physical Switch games and none of them came with a manual. The slot in the box seems vestigial, rarely used for some advertising or a code card.

Except Rune Factory 4, the only switch game I have ever seen with a manual. Which is odd becasue it was a cheap game :shrug:

My Sakuna copy came with a nice manual

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If big 1st party Nintendo games like BotW and Odyssey and Dread don't come with paper manuals then I have to conclude that no one else thinks its worth it AND its probably a pretty hefty chunk of change on top on the other production costs, no reason not to sidestep it. Manuals made more sense 30 years ago when you couldn't just watch a youtube video about how to find all the turtles or whatever

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Did GTA Trilogy get patched? I'd rather play it in bed and not have to deal with Rockstar's launcher on PC.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

So I just set up Mario Kart Home Circuit for my kids and they already ripped one of the cardboard gates lol

I went to Nintendo's website so see if you can buy replacements (you can) and noticed they said you can just print them? Here's the PDF: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/ci/fattach/get/192786408/0/filename/mario_kart_live_home_circuit_gates.pdf

How does that work exactly? It's just the picture on top of the gate and not the gate with legs itself. Do you just tape them around the house or something? How does it work without a gate to drive under?

You just make your own gates and paste them on

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Oh man oh man oh man, I finally got Metroid and this map is so wonderful. I make maps for a living and this map is lovely. It’s easily the star of this entire game so far.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Did GTA Trilogy get patched? I'd rather play it in bed and not have to deal with Rockstar's launcher on PC.

According to Nintendo fan site headlines, yes, but idk if it's non-bad yet

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Yeah and if switch 2 is cart based, there's a good chance it will be backwards compatible. Another advantage of physical games!

Please just add a notch to switch 2 games like the 3DS.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I would do this instead of buying a bunch of poo poo that you have no idea if you want or need yet. Use the switch for a while, see how you use it, and then figure out what accessories would make your life easier and get them. I never use my switch tabletop for example and so don't need anything to help with that. Nor would I want a grip because the regular switch is perfectly fine for me comfortwise. I thought about getting a portable dock but realistically I don't travel enough to places where I have use of another TV to warrant that.

That said:
If you're playing docked for any length of time, a controller is a must. The official Nintendo Pro Controller is the best, with the caveat of it has a lovely dpad. 8bitdo make excellent controllers too - the SN30 Pro 2 is the current best in their lineup. The only downside is they can't wake the switch from sleep. This is easily dealt with by keeping a joycon to wake the switch next to your controller on the table.

A bigger memory card is a necessity. Get a bigger capacity than you'd think you need. I have a mixture of physical and digital games and ran out of space on my 200GB card meaning I had to upgrade to 512GB during a sale. Buy SanDisk or Samsung.

Get a case for the switch so you can feel comfortable taking it around with you and actually using the portable aspect of it. Hard shelled ones are better in terms of being able to throw it in your bag without worrying if it'll get knocked around.

Idk which switch you ordered but if its not the new OLED model get a tempered glass screen protector and install it. OLED owners will have to weigh in if you still need a screen protector with the new model because apparently they ship with one preinstalled?

Lots of people itt like to complain that nintendo games never go on sale. They're wrong although there's less frequent sales compared to other platforms because first party Nintendo games generally hold their value and remain top sellers all the way through the lifespan of a console so why would they need to heavily discount them? Make an account on dekudeals to get notified about any sales on games that you are actively interested in. The wishlist feature on the switch eshop kind of sucks but it's maybe worth using and occasionally checking during any big sales.

Good savings can be found buying the big titles physically second hand. In my local Facebook marketplace I frequently see games for €25 or so. They also retain their value well so you can often sell them on for what you paid, or lend them to anyone else you know with a Switch.

Hell yes thank you for the advice. I was mostly looking for accessory ideas because I'm being badgered for Xmas gift ideas by the family.

From my understanding the OLED has a shatter protection later, not a full on screen protector, so I'll be getting a tempered glass one for sure.

Regarding controllers, I already have an Xbox one controller.. are those 8bitdo dongles legit or should I just get the official Nintendo controller/8bitdo pro 2 for the gyro?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

skipped two pages to say i always go digital and when that poo poo becomes unavailable in the future i will simply pirate it. god is smiling

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Google Butt posted:

Regarding controllers, I already have an Xbox one controller.. are those 8bitdo dongles legit or should I just get the official Nintendo controller/8bitdo pro 2 for the gyro?

The dongles are legit but you should have a proper switch controller with gyro if you want to play BotW (you want to play BotW)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I tried this whole go to Gamestock and check for OLED's and found 5. Did I win? I'm not even in the market for an upgrade.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I have enough digital games to fill up my 512 GB card and more than 40(?) carts flying around, sure wish the 1TB micro SD wasn't so expensive still.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Healbot posted:

I have enough digital games to fill up my 512 GB card and more than 40(?) carts flying around, sure wish the 1TB micro SD wasn't so expensive still.

I feel like I have a metric ton of Switch games and am not anywhere near this, I have to ask, is this like 90% bloated JRPGs and Atlus weeb stuff? That’s the only way I can imagine hitting these numbers.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

b_d posted:

skipped two pages to say i always go digital and when that poo poo becomes unavailable in the future i will simply pirate it. god is smiling

Yeah that's my take on it. By the time stuff getting taken down off the digital storefront becomes an issue, emulators and pirating should be more than viable, so I don't sweat it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Butterfly Valley posted:

The dongles are legit but you should have a proper switch controller with gyro if you want to play BotW (you want to play BotW)

The SF30 has rumble and gyro built in though. And you don't even need a dongle to use it with the switch.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

The SF30 has rumble and gyro built in though. And you don't even need a dongle to use it with the switch.

Can you reread our conversation because you aren't answering any points that were raised in it

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Don't know if this was already posted, I didn't see it in my quick lookie loo but SMTV is almost half off at Gamestop unless there's something I'm missing.

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/nintendo-switch/products/shin-megami-tensei-v-steelbook-launch-edition----nintendo-switch/299575.html

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

those mini cases people made are so cute

If they were officially sold like this instead, I would probably buy physical because then case makers would make little pockets to hold the cute widdle cases :3: That said, I've preferred digital since the advent of Steam. The last console I ever bought physical media for was the Wii.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

teagone posted:

If they were officially sold like this instead, I would probably buy physical because then case makers would make little pockets to hold the cute widdle cases :3: That said, I've preferred digital since the advent of Steam. The last console I ever bought physical media for was the Wii.

Good luck enjoying games when Papa Nintendo takes them in the night!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I've gone mostly digital too. But it is nice when you see a game on sale or your friend can let you borrow one.

I found my copy of Blue Dragon and then got bummed when I remembered no disks on the Series S. :rip:

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

If big 1st party Nintendo games like BotW and Odyssey and Dread don't come with paper manuals then I have to conclude that no one else thinks its worth it AND its probably a pretty hefty chunk of change on top on the other production costs, no reason not to sidestep it. Manuals made more sense 30 years ago when you couldn't just watch a youtube video about how to find all the turtles or whatever

Also there used to be more space constraints and technology limits. You don't have to have a special book with controls and lore anymore, it's all in the game now!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like I have a metric ton of Switch games and am not anywhere near this, I have to ask, is this like 90% bloated JRPGs and Atlus weeb stuff? That’s the only way I can imagine hitting these numbers.

Seems like Switch games are fairly petite, yeah. I was considering getting a 512GB card for my Switch during BF, but then realized I have such a massive backlog of games spread over my PC and Xbox that I probably would never get around to filling more than 100-150GB worth of games at any given time that I'd actually play and/or finish on my Switch. So far I've only beat Dread and am working my way through Astral Chain. After that I have to finish up Trials of Mana, and then Hyrule Warriors DE, and then Breath of the Wild, and then I'm probably gonna revisit Transistor to see it on the sweet OLED display. Those games alone will maybe take me like a year to get through (lol) with all the other games I play elsewhere.

That said, I can see the benefit of hoarding digital games if you tend to play a lot of different things and travel a lot I guess.

[edit]

Zurtilik posted:

Good luck enjoying games when Papa Nintendo takes them in the night!

:ohdear:

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 5, 2021

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 22, 2021

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Lastdancer posted:

Forgive me if the rules have changed sometime in the past but can't people like take your physical games too, in the way we know as stealing

jesus Im getting bad at writing sentences

depends on where you store them

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
don't act like your anus is a fortress. determined thieves CAN and WILL get in there.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Is Astral chain good?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Sudden Javelin posted:

don't act like your anus is a fortress. determined thieves CAN and WILL get in there.

my anus is very generous, as matter of fact

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Google Butt posted:

Is Astral chain good?

It’s good but I didn’t really enjoy it until I beat the story and unlocked the DMC bloody tower equivalent but it got some great combat mechanics

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Volte posted:

I don't think having your video games taken away out of your library has ever happened that I'm aware of, but I know it has happened with Kindle books.
There's a bunch of iPhone games that are effectively gone because they weren't updated to 64 bit or iOS 15 compatibility or whatever. I don't know, maybe you can still download them from the App Store if you have an old rear end device that can't receive OS updates anymore but it's a pretty bad situation.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

those mini cases people made are so cute

Where are these, please tell me now

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

bowmore posted:

Where are these, please tell me now

https://www.etsy.com/listing/790857657/miniature-nintendo-switch-game-storage

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I love everyone in this thread, both digital and physical game-havers alike.

That said, I recommend going physical if you have kids/multiple players. If you ever make the jump to a second Switch, you’ll want physical games because the non-primary switch can only use the primary profile to play downloaded games. So on the second Switch my kids have to use my profile to play any downloaded games. They only use it for Smash so it isn’t a big deal, but physical allows them to use their own profile and cloud save data across both devices.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have a bad history of selling a game and rebuying it again six month later because I miss it. Buying digitally stops me from doing this and save me money in the long run

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
At least you're not the goon who was selling their switch every time they finished a game.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Ragequit posted:

That said, I recommend going physical if you have kids/multiple players. If you ever make the jump to a second Switch, you’ll want physical games because the non-primary switch can only use the primary profile to play downloaded games.
DLC though works like digital purchases so if you actually want to use DLC on more than one profile you need to purchase the DLC again on a secondary account (that's primary on the second switch).

It's almost the worst of both physical/digital worlds.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

At least you're not the goon who was selling their switch every time they finished a game.

lol that rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

What's the best switch era Pokemon game