Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
I like the argument that WWE PPVs are near 100% wrestling when they're actually around 50-60% wrestling which is what an AEW TV show is, and AEW PPVs are actually near 100% wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Come to see the superstars do what? lovely little skits?

Yes.

https://twitter.com/WWEisRollins/status/1467432926610702339?s=20
https://twitter.com/TheKingMikhail/status/1467351369300467719?s=20

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 5, 2021

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Elephant Ambush posted:

People who talk poo poo about flips and stuff are extremely boring people IRL and are mostly olds who want us to go back to the 80s where 2 extremely fat sweaty guys just stand in the middle of the ring and slap each other awkwardly and maybe do headlocks

That sounds dope, actually.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

IGgy IGsen posted:

That sounds dope, actually.

[gestures toward the peacock network]

Knock yourself out

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I like the argument that WWE PPVs are near 100% wrestling when they're actually around 50-60% wrestling which is what an AEW TV show is, and AEW PPVs are actually near 100% wrestling.

yeah I believe there was something like 18+ minutes of entrances and commercials prior to the men's survivor series match?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Elephant Ambush posted:

[gestures toward the peacock network]

Knock yourself out

No, I'll just watch Ishii matches. We're skipping the "extremely fat" part but we get to keep the important aspect: Slaps slaps slaps slaps.

Sometimes we get a little forearm to the chin as a treat.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

IGgy IGsen posted:

No, I'll just watch Ishii matches. We're skipping the "extremely fat" part but we get to keep the important aspect: Slaps slaps slaps slaps.

Sometimes we get a little forearm to the chin as a treat.

Ishii strong style matches are completely different from something like One Man Gang vs Tugboat.

Ishiii and Shingo both no-sold a superplex into a huge loving lariat on each other and it was amazing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

A group consisting of 9 people has multiple personality disorder. Crazy that they're not all the exact same person, smh.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
https://twitter.com/Bull59318840/status/1466525345440419846
https://twitter.com/Bull59318840/status/1466528299027361793
https://twitter.com/Bull59318840/status/1466527868759027715

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/rod_2109/status/1467310059646599168?s=20

Petition to change thread to "Bro I can spot talent"

https://twitter.com/GarySylveonOak/status/1467562337787801600?s=20

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 5, 2021

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

If wwe was still doing ppvs aew would probably be doing higher buy rates than all of them except wm, sa, and the rr

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Elephant Ambush posted:

People who talk poo poo about flips and stuff are extremely boring people IRL and are mostly olds who want us to go back to the 80s where 2 extremely fat sweaty guys just stand in the middle of the ring and slap each other awkwardly and maybe do headlocks

i just want more worked grappling

Lamuella posted:

It is sometimes fun to see what the people who grumble about "unrealistic" wrestling actually watch. Because if they like realistic wrestling they must be watching, like, Bloodsport or UWF or some of the MMA guys in Noah, right?

Right?

exactly

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I think it's also partly Attitude era poisoning and conditioning to some degree. Rock, Austin, Foley, Undertaker, etc. didn't do a lot of acrobatic stuff. It was mostly punching and kicking and forearms and stomps in the corner, some outside the ring brawling, and finishers. Anyone doing high flying stuff was almost always in the midcard and these people seriously think that acrobatic stuff should be reserved for opening matches and maybe the upper midcard at best. It's so dumb.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Young up and comer Serena Deeb

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Most of AEW's top stars aren't even flippy guys. Punk, Danielson, Cody, Moxley, Baker etc. aren't exactly out there doing Sasuke Specials and 450s.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Benne posted:

Most of AEW's top stars aren't even flippy guys. Punk, Danielson, Cody, Moxley, Baker etc. aren't exactly out there doing Sasuke Specials and 450s.

Jon Moxley, should do constant 450s and standing ssp's

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Young up and comer Serena Deeb

could easily swap in Leyla Hirsch in that group

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
"They should put Leyla Hirsch in this faction" is the new "x should be the leader of the Dark Order"

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Tampa Bae posted:

"They should put Leyla Hirsch in this faction" is the new "x should be the leader of the Dark Order"

We just want Leyla on TV, damnit

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The Taxman posted:

We just want Leyla on TV, damnit

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tampa Bae posted:

I'm going to be the millionth person to make this joke:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The idea that you can only do storytelling in promos and lovely skits is probably the single worst WWE popularised.

Brah, if you don't think there's a story in the matches then why are you even watching Pro Wrestling?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

The idea that you can only do storytelling in promos and lovely skits is probably the single worst WWE popularised.

Brah, if you don't think there's a story in the matches then why are you even watching Pro Wrestling?

to see the Storytelling Segments

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

forkboy84 posted:

my owners went out to dinner and i have terrible anxiety and rip up the couch when i think i'm alone

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

JUNGLE BOY posted:

my owners went out to dinner and i have terrible anxiety and rip up the couch when i think i'm alone

Your owners sound like bad people, they should leave you with something wholesome to watch like looped playlist of random poo poo from Kings AARK YouTube page.

Pets deserve Kobashi & Misawa & Akiyama & KENTA too.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

forkboy84 posted:

They literally can't see storytelling in the ring. They need to have it spoonfed to them in promos and skits.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Elephant Ambush posted:

They literally can't see storytelling in the ring. They need to have it spoonfed to them in promos and skits.

This is legitimately the issue. WWE since Hulkamania has been actively destroying literacy in wrestling fans. It's why people overreact (we do it too) to losses and squashes and things like Omega/Angels, they can't register the story being told because they're still treating it like a real fight and all that matters is the ending.

The average WWE fan enjoys the entrances, video packages for the drama, and the match basically boils down to a story note. More important than a meaningless fight scene, but less meaningful then a 20 minute talking segment.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

"bro I can spot talent when I see it either"

I've read that sentence like ten times now and it's still funny

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

a 450 is 1.5 flips. it's in the name

A flip is defined by continuous motion. A 450 is one flip, with one and a half rotations. :colbert:

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Gaz-L posted:

A flip is defined by continuous motion. A 450 is one flip, with one and a half rotations. :colbert:

Go off

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

One and a quarter. One and a half would end with the flipper lawn-darting themselves.

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

Q7kid posted:

One and a quarter. One and a half would end with the flipper lawn-darting themselves.

And a quarter rotation is no flip at all. Its a splash.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

nadabolt posted:

Ok this is too much advancement in the flip discourse for one night.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
What even is geometry?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

nadabolt posted:

1 flip = 4 splashes?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

flip

flip

flipadelphia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqonSSOcrt8

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
new gabe account just dropped

https://twitter.com/Reposmasher/status/1467715021245407232

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

KYLE'S LAST STAD

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
It's amazing how these people will call out Tony Khan for wanting to get all these talented wrestlers to put them on TV and let them do what they do best and have fun in the process as him doing a bad thing but when Vince does it then it's something like him doing it purely out of the goodness of his own heart to give these people a living.

It's like in Blackadder Goes Forth when there's a German spy in the hospital and as Captain Darling is explaining to Blackadder about them, General Melchitt interrupts with "Filthy Hun weasels fighting their dirty underhand war!", before interrupting Darling's next sentence about a British spy with "Splendid fellows, brave heroes, risking life and limb for Blighty!"

But then again, if I recall correctly, that ECW documentary WWE did was very good at making it seem like only WCW was raiding ECW for talent, while the honourable Vince McMahon was just giving opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I still can't wrap my mind around all the "they're wasting Adam Cole" takes. Like his whole storyline right now is that he's plotting a subtle coup of the Elite, everybody knows that Kyle is coming in to join him and Bobby, and they went out of their way to say that Kenny didn't watch his last match so he doesn't know the Bucks let him lose. This is exactly the kind of slow-burn stuff people say they want in wrestling but then complain that "nothing happens" because it's not shouted into a microphone every single week.