Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The best Standard was the one where I could play Sublime Archangel and turn a mega buffed Fiendslayer Paladin sideways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sit on my Facebook posted:

I often see people look back fondly on RTR/Theros and I'm just baffled. Pack Rat is the worst play pattern of all time

The amount of playable/fun decks during that standard was miles ahead of now. mono black didn't even end up being the best deck.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The best standard was RAV/TSP and nothing else has come close since. It had more deck archetypes than you could shake a stick at and all of them were fun and good. Project X, Dragonstorm, Angelfire, Proc Martyr, Scryb Force, Gruul aggro, Boros aggro, Mesa control, Pickles, Dralnu du Louvre, Teachings, there was even a decent Battle of Wits deck.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 5, 2021

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Untapped.gg says differently for there being only 2 s-tier decks right now. Maybe that's all that gets played in tournaments but there's a handful of different archetypes atm.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Opinionated posted:

Untapped.gg says differently for there being only 2 s-tier decks right now. Maybe that's all that gets played in tournaments but there's a handful of different archetypes atm.

you're right it's more like one s-tier deck

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

sit on my Facebook posted:

I often see people look back fondly on RTR/Theros and I'm just baffled. Pack Rat is the worst play pattern of all time

There are two reasons I look back fondly on RTR/Theros Standard, because I am a monster:

1) the SCG Open where I mulled to four, kept two swamps, Thoughtseize and Pack Rat, won the game, and my opponent was so salty he conceded the match and dropped.

2) the end of that Standard, where everyone was sick of both Pack Rat and Sphinx's Revelation, so, with mono-Black already splashing blue for sideboard Negates, I splashed white as well so I could play maindeck Sphinx's Rev.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

disaster pastor posted:

There are two reasons I look back fondly on RTR/Theros Standard, because I am a monster:

1) the SCG Open where I mulled to four, kept two swamps, Thoughtseize and Pack Rat, won the game, and my opponent was so salty he conceded the match and dropped.

2) the end of that Standard, where everyone was sick of both Pack Rat and Sphinx's Revelation, so, with mono-Black already splashing blue for sideboard Negates, I splashed white as well so I could play maindeck Sphinx's Rev.

Cloudfin Raptor is bae.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Standard has always been bad and/or good.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

TotalHell posted:

Standard has always been bad and/or good.

This tbqh

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

They should do a flashback RTR-theros standard constructed queue in mtgo or arena so we can put this discussion to rest

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

To be clear, RTR/THS standard was better than any standard since WAR. It was just much worse than historic, modern, legacy, draft, judge stack etc. is now

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I top 8d Store champs with UW which is still very good even though my play was very medium.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I top 8d Store champs with UW which is still very good even though my play was very medium.

Nice! Post the list

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I wasn't there, but turns out that mono-r Obosh took down my store championship.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I got top 4 with Esper Reanimator at Store Champs. Deck rules.

There were only 11 people :ssh:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

My LGS is doing VOW sealed for their championship. Pray I open some bombs. Really want at least the promo CoCo. 28 signups out of 32 so far and 3 hours to go.

Another LGS near me has MH2 draft as their championship.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Oof, the Golgari Food deck in Championships is miserable to watch when it gets going, it’s almost Eggs-level masturbatory (and I used to play Eggs in Modern)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I've been playing Golgari Food a bit and it's nowhere near that bad tbh

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

It's definitely one of the slowest decks to play against, from my limited experience against it.

edit: Haha I see what he's talking about now on the twitch.tv/magic stream. Food mirror match... real nailbiter. It seems like golgari food is real popular in Japan.

Opinionated fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 5, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

Oof, the Golgari Food deck in Championships is miserable to watch when it gets going, it’s almost Eggs-level masturbatory (and I used to play Eggs in Modern)

i feel like it should be illegal to call a deck masturbatory that doesn't run at least 1 twiddle or twiddle-type effect

if you're not twiddling yourself is it really diddling

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Arivia posted:

i feel like it should be illegal to call a deck masturbatory that doesn't run at least 1 twiddle or twiddle-type effect

if you're not twiddling yourself is it really diddling

Oh like your mom never caught you saccing the cat

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Flashbacks of GW mirrors in Theros/Tarkir standard.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh like your mom never caught you saccing the cat

Only Shane Dawson's mom.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Took 1st at standard with Dimir Zombies :toot: Beat Grixis Turns, Mono W, and Abzan Lifegain. Necroduality is a good card.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone want to do a quick eyeball grading on these for me? Gonna put them on tcgplayer in the new year.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
I feel sorry for the Japanese dudes who’ve been up all night playing these horrendous Food mirrors, it’s like 8.30 am in Japan now

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sudden intrusive thought about splashing white in merfolk literally just for prismatic ending

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

TBH, Historic seems in a horrible state if these are the top decks.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The Shortest Path posted:

The best standard was RAV/TSP and nothing else has come close since. It had more deck archetypes than you could shake a stick at and all of them were fun and good. Project X, Dragonstorm, Angelfire, Proc Martyr, Scryb Force, Gruul aggro, Boros aggro, Mesa control, Pickles, Dralnu du Louvre, Teachings, there was even a decent Battle of Wits deck.

Also Solar Flare. Also Zoo. Also random Haterade type decks. Also RDW. There's probably more I'm forgetting.

Honestly, though, the biggest difference now is the sheer number of games played and data crunching that goes into the Standard meta now, and the immediacy of getting that information. Used to be the meta might move week to week based on SCG blogs, and everyone would wait for what the best players in the world were doing, and work off whatever the best available information was from pro playtest team leaks. Now you can watch the best players in the world stream whatever they're working on from your phone on the morning commute.

And the Bo1 queue has a huge influence on the perception of what a good or popular deck is. Some days all I see is Mono W. Some days it's just a stream of random whatever. Yesterday I saw a bunch of RG Werewolves. Does that make it popular or good? No, it's just what people are playing and what I got matched up against.

I really like the format right now, because it feels like there's a lot of possibility, even if The Top Decks seem pretty boring (even though the S and A tier decks are actually pretty diverse.) If you don't like it, find or build one of the "bad" decks and fart around in unranked for a while, and just flip some cards. There's nothing except maybe Alrund's that's so obnoxious that it needs to be out-and-out banned, and we're still on the small side of the Standard card pool. It's all fine.

Plus they could just unban Omnath if they really wanted to change up Standard.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ban epiphany, chariot and aspirant and see what shakes out

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Silhouette posted:

Ban epiphany, chariot and aspirant and see what shakes out

We heard you we see you, have some rebalancing

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Sudden intrusive thought about splashing white in merfolk literally just for prismatic ending

If you only splash one color it cant hit lurrus so clearly you need to splash red too for bolt

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I do this in RB Zombardment because I literally cannot beat Sanctifier in the colors provided, if you just need a generic answer for stuff you (merfolk) have force and subtlety both of which are free.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

If you only splash one color it cant hit lurrus so clearly you need to splash red too for bolt

I have waterlogged grove in the deck for card draw already so there’s three colors available already…

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

I do this in RB Zombardment because I literally cannot beat Sanctifier in the colors provided, if you just need a generic answer for stuff you (merfolk) have force and subtlety both of which are free.

I run 4x subtlety already, force is a bit rich for my blood so someone should give me 4 copies for free

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I have waterlogged grove in the deck for card draw already so there’s three colors available already…

ah, well now you can splash red to hit karn!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

ah, well now you can splash red to hit karn!

Hell, might as well splash black to hit Yorion while I’m at it

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Somberbrero posted:

Took 1st at standard with Dimir Zombies :toot: Beat Grixis Turns, Mono W, and Abzan Lifegain. Necroduality is a good card.

Nice congrats! Would be interested to see your list, zombies are definitely the best tribal right now in standard.

I made a few small modifications to someone's deck, but haven't spent the wildcards to make Necroduality yet didn't manage to pull a single one on arena. It seems like a really nice effect and curve topper for an aggro deck

https://aetherhub.com/Deck/dimir-necroduality

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Opinionated posted:

Nice congrats! Would be interested to see your list, zombies are definitely the best tribal right now in standard.

I made a few small modifications to someone's deck, but haven't spent the wildcards to make Necroduality yet didn't manage to pull a single one on arena. It seems like a really nice effect and curve topper for an aggro deck

https://aetherhub.com/Deck/dimir-necroduality

Doubling your cards and mana is a good effect, I hear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I run 4x subtlety already, force is a bit rich for my blood so someone should give me 4 copies for free
Well the point was that if they cast a creature you can't attack through you subtlety it, and if it's something else you force it. Force will probably help you throughout your modern career but budgets are budgets.
...but then what are you hopping to hit with a Ending?
And can you instead hit it with a Hurkyl's Recall?