Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm looking into learning more about Weathering and so on, anything you guys suggest?

Vince venturella, angel Giraldez, or any dude that makes historical tank models

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Angel Giraldez is a goddamn wizard.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 4, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Sergio Calvo, Jose Davinci, etc. Basically any painting tutorial in Spanish is going to be legit.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm looking into learning more about Weathering and so on, anything you guys suggest?

Excellent responses so far. If you'd like something physical, Ammo puts out a monthly magazine on techniques called The Weathering Magazine. Each month focuses on a specific technique, like soot or grime, but each mag still talks about many different techniques. It's been out for a while now too, so lots of back issues to choose from.

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/36-english-version

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

punishedkissinger posted:

didnt end up doing any shading on the foot-holes. they ended up too delicate. i think theyre pretty legible anyway

happy holidays everyone. thanks for being a great thread full of talented helpful people!

That cake looks delicious!

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Seasons Greetings from the HH thread:

Major Spag posted:

No Nurgle November...or something. I don't actually know how the world works anymore.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I just bought a badger patriot off amazon that im pretty sure is fake. (spelling/grammar errors. missing connector piece, trigger was sloppy af out of the box, instructions look like theyre off a home printer and folded all weird) Ive never had a badger before though so maybe their presentation is just naturally dogshit or its a badly done refurb. Do they normally come like this?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's fake.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I mean the presentation of Badger products is pretty basic but that sounds suspect.

The 105 usually comes in a plastic clamshell box with a form fitting cutout insert.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm working on a chaos spawn for my death guard. I went into it with zero plan and just kind of winged the whole thing. I think it's turning out okay so far -- I've touched up the face tentacles to make them darker since the picture. I still need to highlight the claws (with administratum grey maybe?) and paint the armor spikes a bronze color so it matches the armor on my death guard marines/terminators. It's turning out okay, I think.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
3 more skaven finished to top off the unit. this is 12 levies for saga age of magic

10mm skaven banner

full unit:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

3 more skaven finished to top off the unit. this is 12 levies for saga age of magic

10mm skaven banner

full unit:

Those are amazing! I just recently took my first steps into the 10mm miniature world, painting up some not-Chaos dudes (apologies for crappy camera phone pic):

Just need to finish basing them up. Very happy with how they turned out and how quick and easy they were to paint.

E: Forgot to mention, these are by Forest Dragon, over on Gumroad and Patreon (the Patreon is worth it as you get a 30% discount on the Gumroad store), and I have to say they were super easy to print out.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 5, 2021

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Those are amazing! I just recently took my first steps into the 10mm miniature world, painting up some not-Chaos dudes (apologies for crappy camera phone pic):

Just need to finish basing them up. Very happy with how they turned out and how quick and easy they were to paint.

E: Forgot to mention, these are by Forest Dragon, over on Gumroad and Patreon (the Patreon is worth it as you get a 30% discount on the Gumroad store), and I have to say they were super easy to print out.

hell yeah! 10mm is gonna take over the world :hfive:

where'd you get the bases?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I think they were just some Renedra (sp?) bases I had lying around. I don't remember exactly when I got them or what I originally intended to use them for, but as it turns out they're 40mm x 40mm (or as near as drat it), so they'll work just fine. And I already printed out some more bases of the same size, so I'm pretty well set. :)

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Forest Dragon's patreon has 20x40mm slotted bases in the welcome pack, you can weld two together in blender or object builder (little unsure of the name) for 40x40 slotted bases, in either textured or untextured.

Are those fine rats you post the ones from thingiverse?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Eediot Jedi posted:

Forest Dragon's patreon has 20x40mm slotted bases in the welcome pack, you can weld two together in blender or object builder (little unsure of the name) for 40x40 slotted bases, in either textured or untextured.

Are those fine rats you post the ones from thingiverse?

They're from Ankylo. They have sculpted the entire Warmaster skaven line and a good chunk of the Warhammer line in 10mm

https://ankylo.gumroad.com/

I design my own 10mm bases. i like a good bevel, the forest dragon bases don't have the beveling i crave

https://www.thingiverse.com/porblegames/designs

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Bedeviled by bevels. Definitely bookmarking those, thanks!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You've gotta make sure you source your bases from someone on the level.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

how dk i stop MDF bases from being warped by pva glue?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Would priming them beforehand help? I suppose that would invalidate the pva glue, depending on what you were doing

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

I’m not sure if it was mdf but I saw someone coat both sides of their board to prevent warping. Do one side, add weights. When it’s dry flip it over and repeat.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Night Shift on Youtube does scale tanks, mostly, and has some great stuff on weathering.

Night Shift Scale Models

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Beffer posted:

I’m not sure if it was mdf but I saw someone coat both sides of their board to prevent warping. Do one side, add weights. When it’s dry flip it over and repeat.

Dont even need to add weights really. Just do the top, then if it warps, do the underside.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I just bought the new 40k kill team box and jfc some of these pieces are so unbelievably flimsy.

The grenadiers arm has a grenade mid-throw that is only connected to the hand by 2 fingertips. It broke taking it off the sprue and twice more while trying to fix it.

Is there anything I could do to make this join any stronger after the tiny dab of plastic glue to connect it? Coat of varnish or something?

It's too tiny to pin unless I replace one of his finger completely with a pin I think . I could post a pic if it helps (does awful app still work with that imgur extension?)

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Are you using crazy glue or the stuff that melts plastic? Tamiyo or any other cement will chemically bond the pieces together but that means it will be just as flimsy as when you took it off the sprue. It may be more convenient to place the grenade in the hand for more contact.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Yeah I am using plastic cement, but as you say it's still just as flimsy.

I'll try get him painted but if it breaks again (I thinknits inevitable) I might just give him a different arm or move the grenade

I would have given up already but dammit if it's not a cool pose

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

I would have given up already but dammit if it's not a cool pose

Thread title.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Does anyone here know of someone I could commission to paint a Blood Bowl team?

I got the new box set and I'd like to get them painted to look like the official finished pieces.

Would like to spend $150-$200 tops.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

lenoon posted:

TMP = The Miniatures Page, I think

X posting from historicals thread. Cel shading/ cartoon style. Haven’t tried it out before, and this looks ok, but what more could/should I be doing to just tip it over the edge a bit more. I’ve got the idea down but there must be a lot more to do to get it looking properly Jet set radio

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

DevCore posted:

I got the new box set and I'd like to get them painted to look like the official finished pieces.

You aren't going to get a full team painted to 'eavy metal standard for $200 unless you find someone who extremely undervalues their time. If you just want the color scheme and will accept tabletop standard, that's more reasonable and you might be able to find someone.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

DevCore posted:

If the new boxed set you’re referring to is the one with 30 miniatures in it, and you’re looking for anything close to display box quality, $200 ain’t gonna cut it. I’m not trying to be a jerk, just want to set your expectations.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

TotalHell posted:

If the new boxed set you’re referring to is the one with 30 miniatures in it, and you’re looking for anything close to display box quality, $200 ain’t gonna cut it. I’m not trying to be a jerk, just want to set your expectations.

That's the one but just the Human team, not the Orc.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You'll probably want to jump on Fiverr and search for 'miniature painting.'

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

I just bought the new 40k kill team box and jfc some of these pieces are so unbelievably flimsy.

The grenadiers arm has a grenade mid-throw that is only connected to the hand by 2 fingertips. It broke taking it off the sprue and twice more while trying to fix it.

Is there anything I could do to make this join any stronger after the tiny dab of plastic glue to connect it? Coat of varnish or something?

It's too tiny to pin unless I replace one of his finger completely with a pin I think . I could post a pic if it helps (does awful app still work with that imgur extension?)

1. A good, clean pair of sprue cutters can really help
2. You can try cutting the sprue itself, then cutting the mini off the sprue, if the mini is particularly fragile.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

DevCore posted:

The official finished pieces are done by top tier artists that absolutely know their salt, that even popular youtubers who can emulate their work very well have difficulty matching exactly. Furthermore, when I've seen them do so, it takes them several hours for one piece.

Let me put it into math for you, each of those models probably takes 3-5 hours. Minimum Federal Wage in USA is 7.25. That's at least 48-80 hours of work for 16 miniatures, which I assume is the size of a bloodbowl team based on google. That's $350-580 minimum.

Even if we assume someone might charge something more reasonable to a standard of living, say, around $15 an hour, and we assume it only took them 3 hours per model to match the box art, that's STILL $780.

Honestly to get the box art painted for you, a more realistic number worth the artist's time is probably at $20-25 an hour, which is about $1600-2000.

edit: I also want to add, 3-5 hours is a guess. I know some pro artists on youtube have spent upwards of 15-20 hours on a single model, especially when you have to account time spent for planning and whatever else happens.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 7, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Otoh you could watch Ebay for painted teams since the box art is "default" and painted figure prices are a crapshoot there.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

DevCore posted:

That's the one but just the Human team, not the Orc.

You can probably find someone at your FLGS to do it in an afternoon for that price range They also absolutely would not look as good as the box models do, but will still look pretty good, and 99.9% of your opponents aren’t going to notice, or care.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

DevCore posted:

For what you see on the box, that's probably what your looking per model.

Find a local if you don't want to painy, but really just pick up some barebones speed painting techniques and Learn to dry brush and use washes. Thatll give you a ton of mileage without a lot of time/skill/effort

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i think devcore should learn to paint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

tomdidiot posted:

1. A good, clean pair of sprue cutters can really help
2. You can try cutting the sprue itself, then cutting the mini off the sprue, if the mini is particularly fragile.

I did start cutting the sprue a bit further away from the spindly pieces which prevented any repeats, and I found doing it by light pressure with a clean sharp hobby knife was much better than my cutters for small pieces.

I noticed the finger tips no longer quite line up after the fix, I hope it's not so noticeable after painting... will probably break shortly after anyway!